• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How is it?

• Better but still bad

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • Better with some problems but playable

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • Much better

Votes: 15 15.8%

• Total voters

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
So some days ago I asked how XCOM 2 runs on Switch seeing that it was on sale, in the end I didn't buy it, but now is the turn to let me know or anybody else interested how Bloodstained is now on Switch because that is on sale until the 31st.

Many crashes?
The input lag is really gone?
Too long load times?
Too many very low drops in framerate?

Let me know you opinions, please. Thanks!

VoltySquirrel

Oct 25, 2017
The input delay is where it should be, graphically it's still not a looker, but it's fine. But if you have any other way to play, do that instead.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I played through it last month and it's fine except the whole thing feels like it's running in slow motion. Reminds me of the old PS1/N64 PAL days when games ran slower for us.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
A playable version of the game, still feels slower then it should, but if you want to play on the go or don't have a ps4/xb1 it's acceptable

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
this was probably my biggest disappointment of the year. was it even this year? hell, it feels like it's just always been this year lmao. but yeah as a massive fan of iga and metroidvanias, this was such a hyped game for me, I kickstarted it, then got my switch version and.... yeah. it needed more time, I haven't picked it up since and I kind of lost all the enthusiasm I had regarding it. I'd like to be excited to play it again, so I am also interested in this topic Lol

AlexMurphy

Oct 19, 2018
I dunno. I've put 50 or so hours in on Switch and I'm super happy with my purchase.

I tried it free on Gamepass and it obviously looks and runs much better on other platforms, but it runs fine on Switch now. Load times aren't bad, input delay is gone, framerate is mostly stable with drops in only a few areas.

For me, even at its best it's just not much of a looker so the fact that the Switch version isn't as sexy as the others doesn't matter. It plays well and the portability more than makes up for 30 fps and lower res graphics.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Honestly, it's worth it.

The issues that still remain:
* The textures are muddy
* The animations are slower/ lower framerate
* The game randomly stutters/momentarily freezes in larger areas

But those are my only issues. Everything else seems to have been cleaned up and the game runs smooth. If I hadn't already played it on PS4, I wouldn't have an issue with the Switch version at all.

This is the system it belongs on and I'm glad I finally bought it on Switch. The sale was perfect.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I dunno. I've put 50 or so hours in on Switch and I'm super happy with my purchase.

I tried it free on Gamepass and it obviously looks and runs much better on other platforms, but it runs fine on Switch now. Load times aren't bad, input delay is gone, framerate is mostly stable with drops in only a few areas.

For me, even at its best it's just not much of a looker so the fact that the Switch version isn't as sexy as the others doesn't matter. It plays well and the portability more than makes up for 30 fps and lower res graphics.

I agree, playing it on the series X it looks great but there is nothing mind blowing or WOW so of all the games that can weather a graphical hit, certainly this one.

OP
OP
dsosarod

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I really don't care about the graphics, only about the conical a problems that are really going to hinder my playthrough.

For example the comments about the game totally freezing make me really think twice about buying it. Is it very often? For too much time? Because that would make me angry.

Also some people said that crashes are a thing as well. Would really hate to lose progress because of that :/

Shads

Jun 6, 2020
I originally backed this game for the Switch. But it's initial release was just bad. I ended up playing the game on Xbox Game Pass which runs way better. I did go back to the Switch version just to see how the patches were, and it seemed playable to me. But switching from 60 fps to 30 fps was a little hard to get used to. I didn't go through the whole game on Switch, but at least it didn't crash of what I've played with the latest.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
I really don't care about the graphics, only about the conical a problems that are really going to hinder my playthrough.

For example the comments about the game totally freezing make me really think twice about buying it. Is it very often? For too much time? Because that would make me angry.

Also some people said that crashes are a thing as well. Would really hate to lose progress because of that :/
I didn't play when it came out, but I played it about 5 months ago and it was fine, not the prettiest place to play it, and some fos drops here or there, but it was fun. This type of game I just straight up not finish on ps4, whereas handheld I will which is why I opted for the switch version myself. I don't really remember any crashes at all.

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
I played through the entire game at launch before performance patches and thought it was *fine*. Not great performance wise, but good enough to play through.

OP
OP
dsosarod

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't play when it came out, but I played it about 5 months ago and it was fine, not the prettiest place to play it, and some fos drops here or there, but it was fun. This type of game I just straight up not finish on ps4, whereas handheld I will which is why I opted for the switch version myself. I don't really remember any crashes at all.
Ok, so the game seems to be better all around compared to how it was released. I'll think I'd probably bite. Been wanting to play it for so long and I finally has a Switch (just that, no PS4/5 or XB1/XBSX or PC capable of running it.)

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
I played it on switch docked after patch. It was so fuzzy I genuinely could not tell what was happening during the first boss battle. Needless to say, I dropped it.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I've been playing it handheld since I bought it on the sale, and it's...not good. The gameplay is great when it works, and I don't really notice input lag except for a few jumps here and there.

Load times are pretty bad. The game has crashed on me several times, and there have been hangs on things like room transitions where I just am standing there and cannot move for a few moments.

Deleted member 34873

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I got the Android version (which was just updated a few days ago for significant performance and QoL improvements). It still seems to stutter every now and then on my Pixel 5 but it at least looks better (and seems to be running 60fps?) than the Switch version.

It's also a good excuse for me to use my Kishi.

OP
OP
dsosarod

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I've been playing it handheld since I bought it on the sale, and it's...not good. The gameplay is great when it works, and I don't really notice input lag except for a few jumps here and there.

Load times are pretty bad. The game has crashed on me several times, and there have been hangs on things like room transitions where I just am standing there and cannot move for a few moments.
Wow... that's the thing, I see this comment and ones like this but then also people going like: nah, it's fine, but not perfect... and I don't know what to think 😭

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
The input lag is markedly improved versus launch, for sure. That was the only of its issues that would be something that would bother you were you not comparing the game side by side with another version.

The big ongoing downside of the switch port is the halved fps (with some drops), but it's not something that's inherently bad... just bad in comparison to other platforms where it runs 60fps. Same with the lowered textured resolution.

If Switch is your preferred platform, I certainly wouldn't skip the game because of its existing issues on Switch.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
I played through the entire game at launch before performance patches and thought it was *fine*. Not great performance wise, but good enough to play through.
Same here. If I didn't see anything about it on the internet, I wouldn't have even noticed. There's slowdown in one section, and that's really it.

But, that stuff never bothered me before. I played SNES games where there was slowdown and other technical issues and I just sorta brushed it aside and played anyway.

I mean, are you into playing a game? Or are you ticking boxes about performance? People were complaining endlessly about how in Link's Awakening on Switch it would drop below 60 FPS when you exited or entered a house. Like, who cares?

Last edited:
OP
OP
dsosarod

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Same here. If I didn't see anything about it on the internet, I wouldn't have even noticed. There's slowdown in one section, and that's really it.

But, that stuff never bothered me before. I played SNES games where there was slowdown and other technical issues and I just sorta brushed it aside and played anyway.

I mean, are you into playing a game? Or are you ticking boxes about performance? People were complaining endlessly about how in Link's Awakening on Switch it would drop below 60 FPS when you exited or entered a house. Like, who cares?
I ask because so many people have been saying horrible things about it. I wouldn't really like input lag and crashes, or freezings. But I literally don't care about it being 30 FPS or downgraded visuals, that's expected and don't actually make it unplayable.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
I ask because so many people have been saying horrible things about it. I wouldn't really like input lag and crashes, or freezings. But I literally don't care about it being 30 FPS or downgraded visuals, that's expected and don't actually make it unplayable.
Yes, so there was a bit of slowdown and things like that in my experience. No crashes, weird bugs that I encountered, and I basically did everything you can in the game.

Not to minimize the criticisms of other players, but there can be at times, a certain degree of hyperbole surrounding performance. Read enough comments and you might come away with the notion that the game is inherently broken. It's not.

Also, from what I've gathered, there have been a few performance-enhancing patches that have been pushed out, but I haven't returned to Bloodstained since I finished it at launch so I can't really vouch for that. In any case, it's probably better than it was at launch, so you're golden. The game is fantastic, btw. Plenty of surprises and a deeply engaging map with plenty of secrets to uncover. I simply couldn't put this down when it came out and I only wish we get a sequel sooner rather than later.

OP
OP
dsosarod

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, so there was a bit of slowdown and things like that in my experience. No crashes, weird bugs that I encountered, and I basically did everything you can in the game.

Not to minimize the criticisms of other players, but there can be at times, a certain degree of hyperbole surrounding performance. Read enough comments and you might come away with the notion that the game is inherently broken. It's not.

Also, from what I've gathered, there have been a few performance-enhancing patches that have been pushed out, but I haven't returned to Bloodstained since I finished it at launch so I can't really vouch for that. In any case, it's probably better than it was at launch, so you're golden. The game is fantastic, btw. Plenty of surprises and a deeply engaging map with plenty of secrets to uncover. I simply couldn't put this down when it came out and I only wish we get a sequel sooner rather than later.
Thanks for writing all that. So I better adjust my expectations, not to expect a buttery smooth game and know that it has issues, which I already did and that's why I was expecting a sale and this is the lowest the game has ever been.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Finished it last year, loved it. Main gripes, all very minor:
  • Takes quite a bit of time to get into the game
  • Overall, load times could be shorter
  • The game crashed on me once or twice, I think? It happened while crafting some items with Johannes at the main hub, so it's not that big of a deal since there's a save room right past that character. Just remember to save.
  • There's a funny glitch (maybe?) involving the fairy-type enemies. They'll yeet out of existence if shot with a pistol. It's so funny I was replicating it on purpose once I found out, it never gets old
Other than that, it was a fantastic experience, and I'm guessing it runs even better now, since they've put out two patches or so since I played it. Highly recommended, although I'm planning to buy it again on PS4 just because I loved it so much.

Oct 27, 2017
The input lag absolutely kills it for me. I went into it wanting some that felt like the DS/GBA Castlevania games and Bloodstained was just too laggy on Switch to give the same experience. Even after all patches it just never felt right to me.

I got it on iOS a few weeks ago and am playing it with a Backbone controller though and it feels great—just like I imagined the game should feel. Now I'm over 10 hours into it finally (after having backed it on Kickstarter for the Switch version).

hankenta

Oct 25, 2017
The game is ugly even on its highest settings on PC, so I wouldn't really worry about that part. But if the performance is as bad as people are describing I would pass on it. I recommend looking for newer videos of it on youtube to see if it's good enough for you.

As a sidenote, the game isn't very demanding on PC, so if you have something to play it on it's worth a shot. With Steam's refund policy you have nothing to lose if it's playable. I totally see the attraction of playing this game handheld though.

OP
OP
dsosarod

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
The game is ugly even on its highest settings on PC, so I wouldn't really worry about that part. But if the performance is as bad as people are describing I would pass on it. I recommend looking for newer videos of it on youtube to see if it's good enough for you.

As a sidenote, the game isn't very demanding on PC, so if you have something to play it on it's worth a shot. With Steam's refund policy you have nothing to lose if it's playable. I totally see the attraction of playing this game handheld though.
I got into Castlevania with the GBA and DS games, so I would love to play it in handheld.

At least twice to work on the problems that the version has, so that's why I'm asking if it is really better but as far as I know the last patch was on January, the 1.04 version.

Lanaka

May 11, 2018
I just finished a playthrough of the Switch version a week ago, in an effort to determine if I wanted to gift my best friend this or another version. After attempting to start with this version shortly after launch, it feels like night and day compared to it's initial release. They've done a great job with getting it closer to the other versions.

That said, I can corroborate what others are saying. The game does occasionally stutter, and the load times can be hit or miss. Some areas will load in the blink of an eye, others can take 5+ seconds, something that is noticable if you repeatedly re-enter some rooms to farm drops.

Lastly, and this is my personal major complaint, the game crashes a LOT. Like, crashes three times in a five hour play session quite regularly. It got to the point that I was starting to get a feel for when it was going to happen, and it seems tied to the menu system and UI mostly. I could play for a while with no issues, go talk to an NPC and have it error out to the home menu. Couple that with the load times to get back in, and it got rather aggravating after a while.

Overall, it's very playable, and fully completable. It was a rather enjoyable playthrough, but I don't think I'll be using this version again.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I got into Castlevania with the GBA and DS games, so I would love to play it in handheld.
I really missed having portable IGAvania on the 3DS so I was excited to play Bloodstained on the Switch. I quickly dropped it though after getting my Kickstarter key and paid again for the PC version.

Last time I tried the Switch version the input lag wasn't as bad, but background elements like portraits are quite blurry. Biggest gripe is the load times though, this is a game where you might be grinding and crafting a lot so that's going to be an annoyance real quick real fast I suspect as you travel to base and back repeatedly.

If you have a PC I'd just grab Gamepass for 1$ and play it there, as much as I too prefer to play this kind of game in a handheld format.

OP
OP
dsosarod

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I just finished a playthrough of the Switch version a week ago, in an effort to determine if I wanted to gift my best friend this or another version. After attempting to start with this version shortly after launch, it feels like night and day compared to it's initial release. They've done a great job with getting it closer to the other versions.

That said, I can corroborate what others are saying. The game does occasionally stutter, and the load times can be hit or miss. Some areas will load in the blink of an eye, others can take 5+ seconds, something that is noticable if you repeatedly re-enter some rooms to farm drops.

Lastly, and this is my personal major complaint, the game crashes a LOT. Like, crashes three times in a five hour play session quite regularly. It got to the point that I was starting to get a feel for when it was going to happen, and it seems tied to the menu system and UI mostly. I could play for a while with no issues, go talk to an NPC and have it error out to the home menu. Couple that with the load times to get back in, and it got rather aggravating after a while.

Overall, it's very playable, and fully completable. It was a rather enjoyable playthrough, but I don't think I'll be using this version again.
Oof... I do not like that about crashes, I could deal with muddy visuals and low frame rates from time to time, but crashes are my definition of a broken product :/ and I do grind a lot of IGAvanias so the load times turn me off as well.

I really missed having portable IGAvania on the 3DS so I was excited to play Bloodstained on the Switch. I quickly dropped it though after getting my Kickstarter key and paid again for the PC version.

Last time I tried the Switch version the input lag wasn't as bad, but background elements like portraits are quite blurry. Biggest gripe is the load times though, this is a game where you might be grinding and crafting a lot so that's going to be an annoyance real quick real fast I suspect as you travel to base and back repeatedly.

If you have a PC I'd just grab Gamepass for 1$ and play it there, as much as I too prefer to play this kind of game in a handheld format.

I basically only see myself playing this on handheld but seeing as it still have problemas that are important for me, maybe I'll get around to play it when I have a PS5 or XBSX, because crashes really put me off of buying it.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
Oof... I do not like that about crashes, I could deal with muddy visuals and low frame rates from time to time, but crashes are my definition of a broken product :/ and I do grind a lot of IGAvanias so the load times turn me off as well.

I basically only see myself playing this on handheld but seeing as it still have problemas that are important for me, maybe I'll get around to play it when I have a PS5 or XBSX, because crashes really put me off of buying it.
sce you sound like me in that it would be harder for you to finish the game on TV, I would get the switch version as it's more then perfectly playable from start to finish, it's not a broken port at all. and with switch being your only way to play it.

ShineALight

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a few hours in and finding it to be a better experience than I'd anticipated given its reputation (though of course I'm playing with the benefit of two patches). Sometimes I feel like there's still a little bit of input lag, or just general sluggishness, and that's the only issue I've had with the game.

For some reason I'm under the impression there's yet another patch coming eventually. Does anyone know if this is the case, or am I mistaken? Thank you!

OP
OP
dsosarod

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I'm a few hours in and finding it to be a better experience than I'd anticipated given its reputation (though of course I'm playing with the benefit of two patches). Sometimes I feel like there's still a little bit of input lag, or just general sluggishness, and that's the only issue I've had with the game.

For some reason I'm under the impression there's yet another patch coming eventually. Does anyone know if this is the case, or am I mistaken? Thank you!
I checked the website and it says that a version 1.18 is coming but doesn't seem to be a big one. As far as I know the last big/sustancial one was back in January with 1.04, but I really don't know about that.

ShineALight

Oct 27, 2017
I checked the website and it says that a version 1.18 is coming but doesn't seem to be a big one. As far as I know the last big/sustancial one was back in January with 1.04, but I really don't know about that.

Thank you! I must've been confused from when they'd previously announced several coming in succession. Guess I'll keep playing as is.