• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
I only noticed yesterday but my Sony XH92 updated to now have the Apple TV app, and I'd been keeping my eye out anyway for whenever Apple announces the long rumoured new Apple TV box.

So I guess I'm looking for some advice from anyone who may have experience with both the Apple TV app on smart TVs or other similar devices (e.g. roku, fire sticks) and the actual Apple TV set top box, as there doesn't seem to be any particularly detailed outlooks on this beyond some Reddit/forum comments from my digging online so far.

From what I've gathered so far:
1) The app doesn't have access to the App Store, Apple Music (except Samsung TVs for some reason), or Apple Arcade
2) Claims of worse performance and software support over time (seems perfectly fine on my XH92 so far fwiw but it only downloaded the app yesterday)
3) Some people freaking out about analytics on smart TVs
4) No access to iTunes extras, which can be a kick in the teeth for watching director's cuts etc

Does the app still output HDR, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos? Is the streaming quality worse?
Is there anything I've missed? If the difference isn't that big then I suppose I've saved myself ~£200 on a new Apple TV box :)

Last edited:

infiniteloop

Oct 25, 2017
The Apple TV app is one app on the Apple TV hardware, so you wouldn't get the App Store including Apple Aracde, or other Apple apps like Photos, Fitness etc.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
If you buy a film on an Apple TV you get all the extras. When I installed the app on my Firestick you literally just get access to the film.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Are you trying to decide if you want to buy an Apple TV? The only reason would be if there is an app that you need that your current setup doesn't have. Im surprised the app doesn't have iTunes extras, are you sure?

edit: ah I guess it's true. That's really weird

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Am I able to case what's on my Apple device to the Xbox or PlayStation 5 once they release with the app?

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
Apple TV App is a way to watch iTunes purchases, Apple TV+ content, and content from Apple TV Channels (similar to the channels offered within Prime Video and Hulu).

The Apple TV Set-top box offers other apps, Apple Music, Apple Arcade, and access to other Apple services.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
To answer your question about HDR, Dolby Vision and Atmos, it does output the first 2 on my Smart TV. Not sure about Atmos since that TV does not support it.

It is way less responsive than the actual Apple TV, but it works decent enough.

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017
The Apple TV app just allows you to buy shows/movies from iTunes and subscribe to Apple TV+.

The Apple TV Set Top Box is a full-scale streaming box with apps like Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, Hulu, Disney+, etc etc.

If you just want a way to access Apple's shows and your iTunes library, the app is great. If you're looking for a box that houses every app you can think of on one HDMI input, I love my Apple TV 4K personally.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Apple TV app offers the software functionality of the Apple TV hardware box, ie, Apple TV+ streaming and iTunes movies for purchase/rent.

The Apple TV hardware box offers all of that, along with thousands of other apps/games (Netflix, HBO Max, Disney+, etc).

Most importantly, however, is that the Apple TV hardware box is running on Apple's A10X Fusion chip, which means the overall experience is going to be much more smooth and fluid than using the Apple TV app on, say, the hardware inside your TV.

It's all a very badly thought-out naming scheme, unfortunately.

Absolutely. You have a subscription based software service, a standalone app, and a piece of hardware with essentially the same name. It's so convoluted.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
I barely turn my Apple TV 4K on for what it's worth - now I can view iTunes purchases through the TV itself the entire experience is much more integrated and faster to use.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Most importantly, however, is that the Apple TV hardware box is running on Apples A10X Fusion chip, which means the overall experience is going to be much more smooth and fluid than using the Apple TV app on, say, the hardware inside your TV.

There is absolutely no perceivable performance difference in practice. Both sets of hardware are more than fast enough to run what is a very basic UI.

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
One difference with the AppleTV App on a TV or other set top box vs the app on AppleTV hardware is that with with the latter, the app will automatically aggregate content from other apps on the box, such as Hulu, HBO and Amazon Prime Video (but still not Netflix). This is very handy; you don't have to go to the other apps as often, because you can see content from them all in one place.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
There is absolutely no perceivable performance difference in practice. Both sets of hardware are more than fast enough to run what is a very basic UI.

It matters for gaming performance and other apps though - there's actually a decent amount of games on the hardware box including most(? All?) of apple arcade.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
AppleTV has Siri integration in every app. It works a hell of a lot better than the built in voice control on my Samsung.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I can't speak for any other media devices (Fire TV Stick, Google Chromecast, etc.) but I bought an Apple TV back in late 2018 and it kicks the pants off of the laggy, unreliable Smart TV and slow Xbox 360 media apps I was using before.

I can get audio out to my airpods easily, play games via Steam Link and a Xbox controller, and screen mirror my iPhone.

Highly recommended, especially if you're already in the Apple ecosystem.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Apple TVs and Shield TVs are great streaming boxes but they're not necessary for TVs with good smart features that encompass the apps they provide unless you're looking for something specific (like Apple Arcade or Kodi or system-level VPN). The LG CX I use as a monitor first and an office TV second doesn't need a streaming box - its built-in features are more than good enough, and I can use my PC for anything advanced like watching content from a VPN.

I find a decent streaming box to absolutely necessary for TVs with shit Smart TV functionality though. It doesn't matter how good of a Vizio TV you have, whether it's their top quality P-Quantum X or new OLED - Vizio's Smart TV functions are such trash that you basically need a streaming box or you're going to have a bad time.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen a "SmartTV" with an integrated app that performed better than a dedicated set top box.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer it on LG C9 for a few reasons

- convenience. Its immediately available without having to switch inputs or pick up a separate remote
- decent remote. You can use the TV remote with actual buttons for navigating rather than sliding around on that damn trackpad thingy. Urgh.
- easier to switch users. Killer feature for me. I can be signed in with my UK and US appleIDs and have easy access to US content without a VPN. Eg I watched the latest season of Agents of Shield by buying on the US itunes store. Or my movies anywhere which sync up with apple. I think you can switch accounts on the box but you have to to into settings - its more upfront in the app
- screensaver - for the LG any built in apps have a screensaver kicking in to help protect against burn in. Any devices connected to HDMI don't have that benefit.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I can't speak for any other media devices (Fire TV Stick, Google Chromecast, etc.) but I bought an Apple TV back in late 2018 and it kicks the pants off of the laggy, unreliable Smart TV and slow Xbox 360 media apps I was using before.

I can get audio out to my airpods easily, play games via Steam Link and a Xbox controller, and screen mirror my iPhone.

Highly recommended, especially if you're already in the Apple ecosystem.

Yep, I like using the Apple TV as well. We have one in our living room and another in our bedroom. We upgraded to the 4K models a few months ago and they are nice, but the remote is AWFUL. The touchpad used for swipes is just not good. I'd love to go back to the old style remotes with the directional clicks.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Yep, I like using the Apple TV as well. We have one in our living room and another in our bedroom. We upgraded to the 4K models a few months ago and they are nice, but the remote is AWFUL. The touchpad used for swipes is just not good. I'd love to go back to the old style remotes with the directional clicks.

Thankfully there's a litany of third party remotes you can use with the Apple TV, likely including the remote that came with your television. Poke around in the settings of the Apple TV and look for the remote learning features.

Bionic

Oct 27, 2017

- convenience. Its immediately available without having to switch inputs or pick up a separate remote
- decent remote. You can use the TV remote with actual buttons for navigating rather than sliding around on that damn trackpad thingy. Urgh.
- easier to switch users. Killer feature for me. I can be signed in with my UK and US appleIDs and have easy access to US content without a VPN. Eg I watched the latest season of Agents of Shield by buying on the US itunes store. Or my movies anywhere which sync up with apple. I think you can switch accounts on the box but you have to to into settings - its more upfront in the app
- screensaver - for the LG any built in apps have a screensaver kicking in to help protect against burn in. Any devices connected to HDMI don't have that benefit.
Convenience: I push one button on the Apple TV remote, it turns on my tv, switches it to the right input, it's ready as soon as my tv shows a picture.

Easier to switch users: hold the TV button on the Apple remote for one second, the users are listed right there to switch.

Screensaver: Apple TV has screensavers to prevent burn-in, as all set top boxes I've tried do.

I don't like swiping on the remote, but my tv remote controls the Apple tv perfectly anyway, so it's optional. And the Apple TV remote does have the advantage of letting you control it from your phone as an option. Plus it doesn't need to be pointed at the tv to work.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
You may know this already, but the remote is a bit easier to use if ,instead of swiping, you just tap gently on one of the directions of the touch pad to move around. You don't actually need to swipe, I find tapping the left/right/etc side much easier. Doesn't make the remote any less shitty, but it helps a bit.

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
This thread made me check my B8 and sure enough, it now has Apple TV on it. I'd never totally give up on discs but I have been considering streamlining and selling a bunch of them and going partially digital. I didn't want another box under the TV though so this could be just what I needed.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017

huh? Most devices have screensavers, including the Apple TV. I'd argue they are actually better than LGs because they looo better (subjective) but also because they move. Eventually the Apple TV sleeps completely and then the LG one kicks in as well

edit: just read that the app is not coming to my B7 due to hardware limitations. That's a bunch of baloney. It's a fuckin app! Whatever, I would rather use my ATV4k anyway.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
You may know this already, but the remote is a bit easier to use if ,instead of swiping, you just tap gently on one of the directions of the touch pad to move around. You don't actually need to swipe, I find tapping the left/right/etc side much easier. Doesn't make the remote any less shitty, but it helps a bit.

I didn't know that. I'll try it out, thanks!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
huh? Most devices have screensavers, including the Apple TV. I'd argue they are actually better than LGs because they looo better (subjective) but also because they move. Eventually the Apple TV sleeps completely and then the LG one kicks in as well

edit: just read that the app is not coming to my B7 due to hardware limitations. That's a bunch of baloney. It's a fuckin app! Whatever, I would rather use my ATV4k anyway.

my point was the LG oleds have built in screensavers that kick in quite quickly (like 1m) for their apps but not things connected to HDMI inputs (because I guess they can't tell if the input is paused or not). Its a useful, convenient protection. Yes apple TV has its own screensaver but it takes longer to kick in and has an annoying tendency to turn the damn box (and my TV + receiver) off after a little while.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
my point was the LG oleds have built in screensavers that kick in quite quickly (like 1m) for their apps but not things connected to HDMI inputs (because I guess they can't tell if the input is paused or not). Its a useful, convenient protection. Yes apple TV has its own screensaver but it takes longer to kick in and has an annoying tendency to turn the damn box (and my TV + receiver) off after a little while.
You can set the timer for the screensaver. If it's turning off your TV that means it has HDMI CEC power off/on enabled which is also a toggle.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
You can set the timer for the screensaver. If it's turning off your TV that means it has HDMI CEC power off/on enabled which is also a toggle.

fair enough. Although I'd want HDMI-CEC as thats what turns it on (also convenient). I'd prefer standby to be an optional shutdown if possible.

and its just my preference after all - I find the combination of those things built-in overall better for me than the separate box

Dusk22

Dec 4, 2017
Denver
I had a weird issue with the Apple TV app for my Samsung Q80R. I own lots of movies and shows on ITunes. The library section of the Apple TV app stopped displaying all of the content I own. My library would only display 1/5th of what I bought. If I searched for the missing titles directly, Apple did say I own it. I couldn't find a fix and even put in tickets to no avail. I ended up just buying the 4K box and my library displays fine on it.

I also missed the Apple TV screensaver.