• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Egocrata

Aug 31, 2019
The revival of Turrican and the constant habit of the industry in general to bring back from the dead IPs that have been long, long dead but were popular on the 16-bit or 32-bit era left me wondering. How do younger gamers feel about these kind of revivals?

I have been playing games since the late 80s, so hell yeah Turrican for me, and I've been dying to get another F-Zero. The last F-Zero game, however, came out close 18 years ago; I am sure many era posters were not even born when the franchise was relevant. We have seen stuff like Battletoads (last seen 28 years before resurrection), Streets of Rage (26 years) and so on.

Do people that did not live through the 90s find this insistence of resurrecting dead stuff annoying? What is the point of getting old stuff out from the vault? I get that a circa-2020 Streets of Rage can be much more accomplished on a technical level than its 1994 predecesor, but still....

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
My first console was a PS1 and my first handheld was a Game Boy Advance. I don't really care about Turrican or F-Zero, but if new entries in those series were released and got great reviews, I'd consider giving them a chance.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The revival of Turrican and the constant habit of the industry in general to bring back from the dead IPs that have been long, long dead but were popular on the 16-bit or 32-bit era left me wondering. How do younger gamers feel about these kind of revivals?

I have been playing games since the late 80s, so hell yeah Turrican for me, and I've been dying to get another F-Zero. The last F-Zero game, however, came out close 18 years ago; I am sure many era posters were not even born when the franchise was relevant. We have seen stuff like Battletoads (last seen 28 years before resurrection), Streets of Rage (26 years) and so on.

Do people that did not live through the 90s find this insistence of resurrecting dead stuff annoying? What is the point of getting old stuff out from the vault? I get that a circa-2020 Streets of Rage can be much more accomplished on a technical level than its 1994 predecesor, but still....
Not sure how anyone who isn't the target market of these games would find it 'annoying', or even find out about them if sidescrollers don't float their boat. These resurrections are usually comparatively small budgets and aimed at older players, and there's plenty of modern trends like almost the entirety of the AAA, sports and online competitive multiplayer chunks of the industry that gets the lions sure of the funding that aren't aimed at me. The remakes only really get discussion here because an older crowd wants to talk about them.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Do people that did not live through the 90s find this insistence of resurrecting dead stuff annoying?
Kinda? I don't know if ''annoyed'' is the correct word. I do not care for a lot of these old IPs so when I see people complaining how companies don't care for their old stuff I just 🤷‍♂️, mainly with PS1 games lol (looking at you Ape escape).
Of course, if is the case of the IP be resurrected and the game ends up being good I will give a chance.

Edit: For the record I love a lot of old stuff, most of my childhood was playing old Nintendo's catalogue, but I would be lying if I said that I have any kind of affection with old systems and its games.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
I don't imagine anyone under 28-35 cares much about Turrican. I'm almost 40 and grew up in the UK with an Amiga. Even being part of that scene I barely care about a Turrican revival. It's a niche product for a niche market.

That said, I can't imagine anyone finding it annoying. The buzz for these titles is so small and localized. Anyone annoyed by a community having their fun has bigger issues. These aren't going to experience any mainstream crossover that is going to take attention from anything else. Having to deal with middle-aged fanboys talk about how gaming wasn't good past their childhood franchises would drive anyone crazy, but is that an issue outside of the era bubble? I almost never see it even here.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think you'll probably get a skewed opinion from this site of gaming enthusiasts. I have nephews that are willing to play "ancient" games like Mario Kart Double Dash, but they have zero interest in anything earlier than that, and unless they get super into video game history, I don't see them ever really going back beyond that. Like they have Nintendo Switch Online, but no interest in even touching any of the NES/SNES catalogue.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I'm 25. I pay respects.
sYbEKh8.png

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
I'm just so tired of 80s aesthetics at this point. Even 90s throwbacks are getting a bit too long in the tooth.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think a lot of those revivals are being targeted at gamers who are getting older, and I would imagine the average age of a gamer has gone up most years since the late 80s

I know a lot of people in their 40s who play games, some in their 50s, and then none in their 60s

Pretty much everyone under 40 plays or played games at some point, as they grew up with them

I don't actually know what most gamers under 20 think about most things, as I have no context to what it was like growing up with Minecraft and service games and F2F games

I doubt the average 18 year old gamer cares much about most older IP though. My girlfriends brother is 17 and pretty much only plays FIFA and online shooters, and finds even most current AAA SP games boring

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I'm 21. I desperately want Vectorman back. Idk.
*Wipes tears from eyes*

I'm proud of you, son

To answer: I'm 32, so I missed the NES era and before. I have no love for many super old games, but if they came back and were good, I'd give them a shot for sure, and if I liked them, maybe go back and play the older ones. I'm also a teacher, and kids mostly feel the same way about games before their generation. They might go back and play the big name games but for the most part they're interested in new stuff

Oct 27, 2017
I think younger people are fine with older IPs as long as they're decent.

Think about Star Wars. That is an old as dirt IP at this point, but pretty much every generation since has enjoyed it. It's even taken rather long breaks between major projects. It's hardly the only example too, just the first off the top of my head.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think younger people are fine with older IPs as long as they're decent.

Think about Star Wars. That is an old as dirt IP at this point, but pretty much every generation since has enjoyed it. It's even taken rather long breaks between major projects. It's hardly the only example too, just the first off the top of my head.

It depends on if they have remained popular. I was born after the original Star Wars films but grew up before the prequels and even though the original films were over a decade old they were still pretty big parts of my childhood and films most people my age had seen

I'm sure younger gamers still like Final Fantasy and Zelda, but they have also grow up with FF and Zelda as those games keep coming out

I think it's a different story if the IP is so old that it was forgotten

If you asked 1000 gamers aged 18-22 if they'd heard of Turrican I'm guessing most would say no

Diddy Kong

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like Banjo Kazooie gets a fair amount of disdain on Gamefaqs for being a Smash DLC character. I think that's from people who didn't grow up with the IP. Not saying everyone who grew up in the 90s is supposed to like Banjo, but I would imagine most people who grew up playing the original games understand his significance for joining the lineup. The hate over there for him is surprising to me.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I'm close to 40 and have nephews and nieces that were all born in the 2000s. A fascinating thing is seeing them try old games and getting hooked.

One of my nieces was staying at my place and I made her try Link to the Past on my snes mini and she loved it to the point of beating 3 dungeons in a row. She usually does not play games.

One of my nephews who usually has some vague interest in fighting games borrowed my psp. I had some snk 90's fighters on it and he started trying them. He's a hardcore SNK fan now. He actually taught me how to play Samurai Shodown. Last weekend we spent 2 hours playing Kof 13 online.

His younger brother cant stand fighting games. He thinks they are over complicated with diagonal inputs etc. I made him try Bushido Blade 2 on psx. He thought it was hilarious and spent a whole afternoon playing it with his brothers. He kept asking how come they stopped making this type of fighting games. Also he's a diehard Yakuza fan.

Younger gamers will not care about an IP because they have no nostalgia for it. But once they find something they like they care the same way we did when we were younger. It does not matter if it's old or new.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I'm almost 45. I have no interest in games from my youth. Except maybe for a quick flashback but I have always preferred the current games to older games. And every generation complains their games from their youth are better than these new games (I remember during PS1 hearing gamers complain that atari/nintendo games of yore were better than the new stuff... and then later on I heard the same thing about PS1 games being better than the new stuff).

Honestly, imho the only way games have gone downhill is all the microtransaction shit that encourages bad game design. Which unfortunately seems to be the most profitable way of making games so it's getting bigger :/.

As for them bringing it back, I just haev absolutely no interest. I guess I"m not annoyed by it, but just bored by those announcements as I have no interest.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I lmao'd seeing Turrican come back out of nowhere.

My kids saw me playing Super Mario Brothers 1 and are very interested in playing. I think newer games like Shovel Knight and Minecraft have them open-minded about old graphics.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I imagine many younger gamers won't even be aware if a new release is part of an old franchise unless it's really famous. When I was playing the hell out of Super Sprint in 1986, I had no idea it was a revival of an old series.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I picked up my first Mega Man game with Mega Man 9 when I was like... 16? And was pretty blown away. Admittedly, I'd grown up with some light experience in a few 8-bit games like Super Mario Bros. 3, but still, the moment I booted up Tornado Man's stage, saw the clean graphics, that jamming music started playing, and the pristine gameplay started, I knew it was something timeless. I mean, especially SNES-era games, so many of those are top-tier, timeless products, you just need to give them a chance.

Early 3D, yeah, I could see that being a stumbling block but I doubt many kids would totally bounce off Super Mario 64.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I can't claim to speak for younger games, but I imagine that for the most part it is probably apathy. The idea of someone in their 20s being annoyed by a Turrican re-release is kind of puzzling. The majority won't even hear of its existence, and out of the younger gamers who do, the majority of those just won't care. It'd be like you getting annoyed over a reprint of an old book you'd never read or a Blu-ray release of a 1960s movie you hadn't heard of. In the same way that there's no emotional connection to get them excited, there's no emotional connection to get them annoyed.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
My 7 year old nephew doesn't seem to care if something is old. If he like something he likes it. He seems more impressed than anything when I tell him how old something is.

Oct 29, 2017
They don't give two shits. Hell, even this forum pays incredibly little respect to this medium's history; the way in which most people treat older games even on here is disgusting.

Most people here just want the new and the shiny, the kind of shite that will end up aging like milk.

Ego

Banned
Dec 6, 2020
What I often here is that these games are way to hard, unforgiving or just control bad/unfair. In some way they are right. I didn't care in my youth, because reasons, but nowerdays these older titles seem unaccessible to me. I recently just tried Contra Hard Corps and... fuck it.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I can't claim to speak for younger games, but I imagine that for the most part it is probably apathy. The idea of someone in their 20s being annoyed by a Turrican re-release is kind of puzzling. The majority won't even hear of its existence, and out of the younger gamers who do, the majority of those just won't care. It'd be like you getting annoyed over a reprint of an old book you'd never read or a Blu-ray release of a 1960s movie you hadn't heard of. In the same way that there's no emotional connection to get them excited, there's no emotional connection to get them annoyed.
This is a good point. I'm in my early 40s and feel much the same about the media my parents enjoyed, their music and films. I remember my dad's enthusiasm for westerns and my mum having 1960s pop tunes playing constantly in the kitchen. It's not that I do/don't like them, they are sort of fragmented touchstones of 'old' media from when I was a child in the 80s. I don't really feel strongly about them one way or the other beyond that, and they don't crowd out anything I like even if their influence is still constantly visable and referenced.