• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Short hair more militaristic look, maybe some scars, more weary look/expression, especially around the eyes. A more muscled or wirey look depending on circumstances. Maybe some early greying in the hair.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
22183985_2.jpg
See I would've said the bride gives off a much stronger punished vibe than Elle. No eyepatch but she has the look of someone who's been through some shit

Mansa Mufasa

Jun 17, 2019
Toronto
You included Big Boss, but not The Boss?

6073379-the%20boss.jpg

Look at her expression and the wrinkles on her face. Her greying hair tired back in a tight ponytail. She's seen some shit.

She also has that scar that runs across her chest and belly, but I thought it wouldn't be right to use a pic where she's half-naked.

Came here to post this. Cant believe the same mind that came up with The Boss also made Quiet.

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

6073379-the%20boss.jpg

Look at her expression and the wrinkles on her face. Her greying hair tired back in a tight ponytail. She's seen some shit.

She also has that scar that runs across her chest and belly, but I thought it wouldn't be right to use a pic where she's half-naked.

The reason I hesitated on The Boss is that while her character has definitely seen some shit, I don't know if her visual design by itself conveys that. If someone showed you a picture of her with no context or prior knowledge, would you think, "yeah, that character has been through some shit?"

On the other hand, a picture of Punished Venom Snake or Furiosa sells that on the visuals alone.

I think I should be clear here, we're not talking just about action lady. We're talking about "Punished" versions, this is the period after their action phase, their "pulling me out of retirement" phase.

Emily Blunt in Edge of Tomorrow

Worn equipment, straight to the point, and sick of your noob-ass shit
latest

See, I'd qualify this more as just "action lady" as opposed to Punished.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
See I would've said the bride gives off a much stronger punished vibe than Elle. No eyepatch but she has the look of someone who's been through some shit
I wouldld agree, but after the trailer showdown... I think there's been plenty of punishment hehe ;)

Daryl Hannah just nails the look with the eyepatch though.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
See, I'd qualify this more as just "action lady" as opposed to Punished.
I think what qualifies her as punished is HOW she became action lady. She's as good as she is because she was stuck in a death loop

Speaking of death loops, an uncommon example:
happy-death-day-2.jpg

Over time, Tree from Happy Death Day stops caring less and less about her own appearance her experience (along with some of her injuries) carries over. She's looking the way she does in that image because she's completely fuckin' done with all this bullshit and she's all in "I will murder you to make this stop"

Last edited:

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Came here to post this. Cant believe the same mind that came up with The Boss also made Quiet.

She's over 30 and therefor not fuckable so she's allowed to have some decent character development.

Hopefully it's clear this is a tongue in cheek joke at Kojima's expense and not how i feel about female characters

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal

6073379-the%20boss.jpg

Is this the MGS3 model? It can't be right? Way too detailed! :O

---

Also, this is a prime example. Still feminine but the kind of feminine that can kick your butt anytime, anywhere.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Emily Blunt in Edge of Tomorrow

Worn equipment, straight to the point, and sick of your noob-ass shit
latest
I was thinking of her after I understood what punished woman meant. It kinda threw me off.

I think it's the body posture and the eyes mostly. Just the I'm done with your stupid bullshit expression.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

AjJC.gif

haircut.gif

Cutting your hair means it's time to get serious. I think.
Cersei didn't do it willingly but her going from her weakest to the most powerful was also accompanied by short hair.

hXUZnLu.jpg

I think there's definitely an argument to be made that "punished" roughly translates to "manly" as the male characters are also at their most grizzled and masculine

Last edited:

Mansa Mufasa

Jun 17, 2019
Toronto
She's over 30 and therefor not fuckable so she's allowed to have some decent character development.

Hopefully it's clear this is a tongue in cheek joke at Kojima's expense and not how i feel about female characters

I dont know. I found Meryl, Sniper Wolf, EE and Olga to all be great Women characters with interesting Depths and arcs. Sometimes creatives are better being restricted and forced to innovate.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cersei didn't do it willingly but her going from her weakest to the most powerful was also accompanied by short hair.

hXUZnLu.jpg

I think there's definitely an argument to be made that "punished" roughly translates to "manly" as the male characters are also at their most grizzled and masculine
Punished usually results from the loss of something, be it innocence, humanity, mercy, etc. The reason beards and short hair are so prevalent is because of the amount of superfluous maintenance that goes into shaving or maintaining hair. This is more common of characters in scenarios where there's no time or it doesn't matter because the world is shit, along with being caked in blood and dirt.

On the other end you have characters who are still required to function and keep up appearances whose punished look resides entirely in their experience and natural wear
Cersei hits both ends of this spectrum

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Punished usually results from the loss of something, be it innocence, humanity, mercy, etc. The reason beards and short hair are so prevalent is because of the amount of superfluous maintenance that goes into shaving or maintaining hair. This is more common of characters in scenarios where there's no time or it doesn't matter because the world is shit, along with being caked in blood and dirt.

On the other end you have characters who are still required to function and keep up appearances whose punished look resides entirely in their experience and natural wear
Cersei hits both ends of this spectrum
This is about where I sit on this. Cersei is a good example of someone who splits the difference.

The Bride in Kill Bill is pretty similar too. In basically any scene in a non-flashback she has the look of determination and as any of her battles progresses you see more of her humanity slip away until the very end when finally she's allowed to grieve.

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit those arms. God that is such an amazing touch. Struggling to think of other times actresses got jacked for a role (not that I don't understand why you wouldn't).
Angela Bassett got pretty damn jacked when she played Tina Turner in the 1993 biopic. Probably the most muscular I've seen any woman get for a film role, because generally speaking, Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman and Alicia Vikander as Lara Croft would be seen as the upper limit for how fit a woman can be and still be considered "attractive" enough for a leading role.

ijOAM6f.jpg

k2J3FsW.gif

RZQQha6.jpg

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Angela Bassett got pretty damn jacked when she played Tina Turner in the 1993 biopic. Probably the most muscular I've seen any woman get for a film role, because generally speaking, Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman and Alicia Vikander as Lara Croft would be seen as the upper limit for how fit a woman can be and still be considered "attractive" enough for a leading role.
Jessica Biehl for Blade 3 was impressive too.

TheMilkman

Banned
Aug 30, 2019

6073379-the%20boss.jpg

No shit, thinking about it, The Boss is my go to for punished women. A lot of the qualities for a "punished woman" enumerated in this thread (short/tied back/no hair, muscular, older, no bullshit attitude etc.) apply to The Boss.

Edit: Which is to say, for me, The Boss is the default look for punished women in fiction.

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
How about half a shaved head, a scar and a perpetually pissed off look (Thorn Bathu, Shattered Sea) :D

HalfWorld-art-300dpi.jpg

I'd say "not caring what you look like" in general, male or female. Men tend to grow the beard as a result of no longer shaving.
But beards and long hair make them look better... 🤔

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sarah connor, Boss( mgs3), MC from inglorious basterds, sharon stone from quick and the dead comes to mind.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
The same mind originally wanted The Boss to go into battle with one boob out because she would have a tattoo of a snake that would look like it's laughing when the breast bounced. Someone had to step in to slap the horny out of him and fix the character.

Edit:

Last edited:

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Grace starts out the movie nice and happy because it's her wedding and whatnot

83c8f672a2ed22fc446a69fe2466a27d

By the end she's full on Punished Snake covered in dirt and guts and blood with her wedding dress torn to shit, completely done with the day's events sitting on the steps of a burning mansion smoking a cigarette with a blank expression on her face

images

I'M NUUUUCLEEEEAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRR

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Sadie Adler (Red Dead Redemption II) is a good example of the worn, rough-and-tumble, take-no-shit, bad ass, who can look "punished."

bPffF80.png

There's a scene later in the game that is so fucking bad ass, but also one of the most powerful scenes in the game, enough that I took a screenshot because I was like "holy shit..."

Last edited:

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The reason I hesitated on The Boss is that while her character has definitely seen some shit, I don't know if her visual design by itself conveys that. If someone showed you a picture of her with no context or prior knowledge, would you think, "yeah, that character has been through some shit?"
How does it not? Do everyday middle-aged women carry around tactical knives like her?

Shrikey

Oct 27, 2017
I mean… It's literally the exact same process as with male characters, except the beard.

Battle scars + roughed up clothing, potentially with some ageing thrown in.

Also, Ellie in TLOU2 sure looks like she's seen some shit, and she's still supposed to be like twenty-ish.

WCCFthelastofuspart23.jpg

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Mulaghesh03-web.png

The Divine Cities trilogy, particularly the 2nd book.

One armed grizzled im too old for this shit PTSD war vet pulled out of a drunken stupor of retirement for one last mission.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Sarah Connor is probably the standard for this in my mind. In T1 she was this completely normal person thrown into crazy circumstances, and in T2 she had turned herself into this hardened badass.

Watching the two movies back to back really highlights how drastic the change was.