• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Just a random thought I've been having, whenever you want to sell a grizzled, punished older male character the way you visualize that is piss easy. You slap on a beard, put a few grey streaks in their hair, and maybe slap on an eye patch. Simple. Effective. Striking. But, how do you do that with women, especially older women. You can't really slap on a beard, so what is the visual language you think of for that? Is it short hair? Ponytail? Buzzcut? Or is there no set, easy way to sell that visually with female heroines?

Male Examples:

terminator-dark-fate-1-1554388242.jpg

Women:

Terminator-Dark-Fate-One-e1553358797870.jpg

screen-shot-2017-07-12-at-10-15-12-am.png

1ce85a300f74bede717d5e5f59578060.jpg

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
I don't. Partially because aphantasia, and mostly because why would I want to pre-conceive what struggle, hardship and growth "look" like?

If the character's journey makes sense and their look reaffirms that, congrats you did a good.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Samus if done right should be that. She kind of is in metroid prime with the look. She had the history of a "punished" character.
latest

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
But Prime takes place right at the start of the overall timeline, so she's not really "punished" yet

I mean she lost her entire colony and parents, and after prime she knows the chozo are all dead
It's after the events of Metroid 1 as well, and she's always been through the Galactic Federation army at this point.

Still a good look, and I wish they'd return to it. Less Barbie model and more like this:
18msis8s4ht15jpg.jpg

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Still a good look, and I wish they'd return to it. Less Barbie model and more like this:
18msis8s4ht15jpg.jpg

Not saying it's not an awesome design, but when I see Samus in Prime I don't really get a "punished" feel, it's more of a "experienced" and "level-head" type of look, even if you could argue emotionally she is "punished" so to speak.

Prime Samus reminds me of Solid Snake circa MGS2, and while Solid Snake in MGS in general could be described as "punished", that title really is more apt for Big Boss/Venom Snake in MGSV in terms of esthetic.

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I suppose it's a way to show "loss of feminine nature" that comes with the territory of being "punished". Where the only thing that matters is utility

That's my read, which is funny since it's the opposite of the male "Punished" look. For men, the idea is that they've let their appearance suffer without any upkeep. Long hair. Unkempt beard. Etc. For women, it's seems to be more a focus on "utility" as you mentioned. But "utility" requires upkeep, the difference for them is trading off the traditional forms of beauty standards which for women is typically long hair.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You included Big Boss, but not The Boss?

6073379-the%20boss.jpg

Look at her expression and the wrinkles on her face. Her greying hair tired back in a tight ponytail. She's seen some shit.

She also has that scar that runs across her chest and belly, but I thought it wouldn't be right to use a pic where she's half-naked.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say "not caring what you look like" in general, male or female. Men tend to grow the beard as a result of no longer shaving. Women in media tend to cut hair either as a result of the "punishing event" (Ripley), a visual metaphor for a shift in mentality (Dagger/Garnet), or as a utilitarian move (can't pull hair that isn't there)(Furiosa).

There's other ways like scarring, lack of emotion, killer instinct, etc but hair is an easy shortcut to immediately convey the "punished" vibe.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Emily Blunt in Edge of Tomorrow

Worn equipment, straight to the point, and sick of your noob-ass shit
latest

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

6073379-the%20boss.jpg

Look at her expression and the wrinkles on her face. Her greying hair tired back in a tight ponytail. She's seen some shit.

She also has that scar that runs across her chest and belly, but I thought it wouldn't be right to use a pic where she's half-naked.

Now this is a hero. One of my favourite characters in any video game I've played.

Dec 22, 2018

The Boss is definitely a great example of a hardened female character.

As for someone who looks "punished" . . . As in she's definitely seen some shit and been through the wringer more than once, Senua from Hellblade instantly comes to mind.

hellblade_2.jpg

Last edited:

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada

6073379-the%20boss.jpg

The Boss is the prime example of a badass female who had been through some shit.

Aug 3, 2018
I'd say "not caring what you look like" in general, male or female. Men tend to grow the beard as a result of no longer shaving. Women in media tend to cut hair either as a result of the "punishing event" (Ripley), a visual metaphor for a shift in mentality (Dagger/Garnet), or as a utilitarian move (can't pull hair that isn't there)(Furiosa).

There's other ways like scarring, lack of emotion, killer instinct, etc but hair is an easy shortcut to immediately convey the "punished" vibe.

Ripples shaved her hair due to lice.

Oct 25, 2017
weird. You guys never even considered goddamn Ellen Ripley?

That's like "survivor lady 101" (though arguably through a male lens, but still).

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

6073379-the%20boss.jpg

Totally agree about The Boss, first person that came to my mind. Also, Baiken from the Guilty Gear series: