• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
While we have a next-gen discussion thread, a lot of seems to be very technical, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I thought it might be nice to have a smaller scope, slightly more pointed conversation around naming, branding and positioning of the two primary next gen consoles.

In my opinion, I believe the two consoles will be named the following:

Sony

Branding:
PSV as the logo and in written form, still referred to as playstation 5 or PS5 when talked about verbally. I don't think Sony want to break their tried and true naming conventions for their console series, but I feel like the PSV moniker is too nice to pass up. Most of the time the roman numeral thing can come across as cheesy or try hard but I think it feels natural for this iteration, due to it only being one character, and the 'V' flowing nicely off of the 'PS'. A counterargument could be it's too reminiscent of the PS Vita. It also works well with the VR component - PSV/PSVR.

Positioning: I think Sony are going to double down and unique and creative experiences you can't find anywhere else, while still having powerful enough hardware to get all the multiplatform stuff. A way of thinking about where I think they'll end up as a mix between Nintendo and how Sony positioned themselves during the PS4 generation. Sony aren't going to be able to compete from a cloud perspective to the same level as Microsoft and Google (even though we're a few years a way from these platforms i.e. xCloud and Stadia being any sort of 'threat' it makes sense to start writing their own narrative for the future), as they simply don't have the infastructure. They could rent it from either MS, Amazon etc.. but they'll always be a step behind in terms of business model optimization, and won't have the same level of low-level access you get when you own your own infastructure. So I think Sony are going to continue to develop great machines, but also position themselves as 'the world's premium games publisher', providing those high-end 'Last of Us/God of War/Spiderman' level experiences you won't get anywhere else. On top of this (and to explain the Nintendo reference) I feel they're going to push further in terms of experience differentiation by i) trying to be 'THE' go-to console VR solution with PSVR2 and ii) continuing to create games/engines like Dreams that encourage community build content.

Microsoft

Branding:
Slightly harder to nail down but I think it depends on if they continue to support/sell the Xbox One, Xbox One X as time goes on. If they plan to stop selling or phase out the previous console iterations, I think simply 'Xbox' makes sense for this next console, almost rebooting the brand, with the focus moving forward being on iterative hardware developments. However, you could argue this has already taken place with the X, and this new family of consoles has already begun. In that case, the new console will need a 'sir name' as it were. Considerations could be Xbox ∞ (Xbox Infinity when spoken), with future iterations being called Xbox ∞ X, and Xbox ∞ X+.

Positioning: Phil has said this himself, and I actually believe him. Microsoft don't care where you play games, as long as you're signed in on the Xbox ecosystem/platform. I feel like while they're going to provide (potentially the highest level of) powerful machines to play games, Microsoft want to be the layer behind any of your gaming experiences, no matter where you play. Gamepass is a huge part of this, and I see them continuing to invest massively into this service, continuing to make it available across more devices (I think we'll see Nintendo Switch soon), leading to the inevitable xCloud/Gamepass mega-service some years from now. Their studio acquisitions allow them to pump out some more quality first part content to compliment the big 3 (Halo,Gears,Forza) and stick them on gamepass, further incentivizing people to sign up on the xbox ecosystem. To that end I feel like the new xbox console is less important to Microsoft overall than the PSV would be for Sony, but we're not in that 'Xbox is everything' future just yet, so I see them operating somewhat traditionally with this next-gen console, relying primarily on sheer power, gamepass, and some solid (if mostly by-the-books) 1st part titles. Halo needs to be huge for them as if they can bring that franchise back to the forefront, I think their future is secure.

Last edited:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
sony: Written as PS5 and read as PS5.
MS: Xbox Infinite, launching with Halo infinite and Forza motorsport infinite. The infinite branding will be on all major IPs, to indicate a long post launch support and to also make the games sound bigger in scale.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Sony

Branding:
PSV as the logo and in written form

1200px-PSV_Eindhoven.svg.png

It will be PS5.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft has always been a bit... infamous for how they name things, so I have no idea how the next Xbox will be named. Xbox -> Xbox 360 -> Xbox One doesn't really have any pattern to it, but I assume it'll be really focused on coming across like a premium product since things like XCloud and low-end PCs will be more targeted towards the casual/entry level consumer. So position the next Xbox console as a premium way to access the ecosystem, and the branding and naming will focus on that.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, PS5. I don't see Sony going with roman numerals.

As for Xbox, Xbox Next maybe. That might be a bit too awkward though.

OP
OP
Glimpse_Dog

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
sony: Written as PS5 and read as PS5.
MS: Xbox Infinite, launching with Halo infinite and Forza motorsport infinite. The infinite branding will be on all major IPs, to indicate a long post launch support and to also make the games sound bigger in scale.

It seems to suggest they'll be the final iterations of those games too? That they'll become 'platforms' in their own right, kind of like how a MMO or a GaaS works.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 would be easiest and simplest to market to the general public. It would be weird if they don't go for the usual naming convention. As for xbox, maybe xbox zero? who knows lol

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
PS5: Exact same way they've done it with PS3 and PS4, with a focus on the player and the stories they make.

Microsoft: Xbox Infinite or something like that comes to mind for a name. Marketing will make points about how all your stuff you currently have will work, and all the value you'll get with GamePass. Beyond that, they'll focus on big time games like Halo.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Playstation 5, easily.

Xbox is a whole different beast. I can see them going so many ways with it. I could really just see them pulling an Apple and calling it just Xbox (again).

Oct 27, 2017
Sony - PS5. Most powerful console out there

I don't know why you guys keep thinking Sony will mix things up. They'll keep doing exactly what they've been doing with every Playstation. The dual shock 5 will also look pretty much like the 1-4 too

Feb 10, 2018
I think there stratagies are very similar but Microsoft seem to be a bit more ahead, in the future the majority will stream it is inevitable, and as jessie pinkman once said "are we in the meth business or money business" we'll the same applies to Sony "are they in the games business or money business".
Basically they will go where the money is.
Sony will not want to miss on this subscription streaming model with Huge potential, they already have a stream sub model with ps now and have done a deal with MS for use of the azure infrastructure.
I say Ms is a little more further ahead because they are also on PC and will be releasing Xcloud on to mobile very soon.

As far as consoles go I think scarlett will be $499 and will the most powerful they can make it for that price. I think this because they released the 1X for $499 and the price of worthwhile tech is increasing.
I did think Sony would employ the same pricing strategy as they did with the PS4 and sell PS5 for $399, but like I said in the above paragraph the cost of tech good enough for a next gen leap is rising and so I think PS5 will be $499 too.
I think both consoles will be within 10% of each other power wise and digital foundrys will be rather uneventful with resolution and framerates being the same 99% of the time.

The names will PS5 and Xbox 10 or Xbox X but still pronounced xbox 10.

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
The only time Sony don't go for PS5, PS6, etc is when console generations become obsolete because we've completely moved on to cloud based services, in which case they'd probably just go for "PlayStation".

I could see Microsoft going for just "Xbox" earlier than Sony, when they go all in on gamepass/their cloud thing across multiple consoles/PC/mobile, but as they're going to have a dedicated console for next generation they'll probably go for something like "Xbox Infinite".

Nintendo will continue to do their own thing and will always have a "Nintendo Something".

Sep 14, 2019
What is up with the V imagery lately? Metal Gear Solid, Devil May Cry, now Playstation? Lol I think it will just be Playstation 5. PSV is Playstation Vita

Feb 10, 2018
Sony - PS5. Most powerful console out there

I don't know why you guys keep thinking Sony will mix things up. They'll keep doing exactly what they've been doing with every Playstation. The dual shock 5 will also look pretty much like the 1-4 too

There strategy regarding hardware has not been the same, the PS1 was not really focused on power, the ps2 did have more a power focus and the PS3 did to (but they failed on that with 360 being the better performing machine the majority of the time), the ps4 was the best machine they could make while also not making a big loss. So who knows what road they will taken with the ps5, all we know is that it will have and ssd and the latest AMD hardware, but apart from that we don't really know if it will be a $399 machine taking the ps4 approach or if they go for something less Conservative.
My gut tells me the best they can do for $499, but there really not much out there to support wither theory apart from rather sketchy rumours and leaks.

Feb 10, 2018
I think xbox 10 or xbox infinite/infinity are the best just being "xbox" is to confusing after the OG was called that.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With Playstation, it's obvious.

With Xbox, who the heck knows after they named their third console Xbox One.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
PSV will confuse people I reckon. PS5 is in keeping with the rest too. All they need to do is say it's PS4 but better and they win. But they won't, they'll know Xbox is going to come back strong so will be ready.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS5
Xbox (just simply Xbox)

people who thought PS4 would be called Orbis gave me life they were so far in that rabbit hole.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 - Focus on their premier exclusives and PS+
Xbox Alpha - Focus on new content and Game Pass.

I'm expecting this next generation to be the best ever.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
The PS5 is going to be PS5. Just a hunch.

Meanwhile MS is going to name it Xbox 6, just to one-up Sony.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
I can see MS going with Xbox 10, to unify it with Windows 10. Well Infinite is plausible name as well.

Playstation 5 is most likely given by now.

Peterc

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The same they did this gen. Race against power, Sony with better marketing. Both will focus on 8k, not on like how realistic it will look, that time is long gone. Real power is an issue in many ways. It cost to much for the developers and the console would be too expensive. Expect rather a xbox one x plus. Mark my words. 8k with 120fps will be the focus, a realistic game would be shown from a supercomputer and get downgraded afterwards 😀 i'm still curious what they will deliver

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Xbox For

And the branding will be like... "because it's for you, and you, and you, and you. It's FOR everyone!"

And it will launch with Forza

And it will also be an acronym that means Fun Open-source Reverend or thereabouts