• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
You can't have the story be that the X-Men were always around. That's lame as shit and doesn't make any sense. Even with Cerebro BS.

I also don't want to have the characters in name only. I want their backstories and character dynamics maintained.

So the solution in my view is to have the first MCU X-Men movie be set in an alternate universe set anywhere between the 70's to the mid 90's. Mutants never existed in 'our' world, but the movie would end with them being expelled from that timeline through the actions of the villain (or maybe even a misguided hero), ending up in current day MCU-prime.

It basically solves every single problem. You can still have a Magneto with his concentration camp backstory without him being 90 years old. You can allow the X-Men to have a history and even go back and tell other stories with those characters in their old world if need be. And why does the public hate mutants and not all of the other established heroes? Because they're basically refugees/migrants "who don't belong here!" Which is topical and fits really well in an X-Men story.

Oct 28, 2017
Reverse Snap side effect would seem to be a possible route with some time jumps to explain things like Spiderman homecoming not addressing it.

But that would require alot of set up and so much of the characters and stories rely on history in terms of backstory and motivations that would no longer exist if the MCU went that way. Like what is magneto without the ww2 backstory?

That leads me to believe some parallel universe shit will go down. They can have their cake and mix characters / worlds and not have to rewrite decades of usable comic material

That's what I was thinking as well however, I think the next villain is/should be Kaang with time travel effecting things in the past creating pockets of alt reality.

Or

Scarlet Witch says "Mutants", and all of history changes with that.

Or

Mutants start in the Dancing Cap timeline and converge later on some Battleworld type shit.

MrMegaPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
wandavision.

She rewrites reality to make more people special. Scott summers, jean grey, Logan, etc all existed previously and experienced the snap, but now this huge group of people have superpowers from the x gene activating

They get bigoted treatment because the public hates them out of jealousy and a refusal to understand they are still just normal people but with laser eyes. I'd have genosha or krakoa as their country or "where they can be free". But not all mutants live there.

Also some mutants see Sansa as a god, others see her as giving a nudge to what was always there, others still see her as dangerous due to reality warping.

Lastly, you can have ancient mutants. Have apocalypse or even time travellers "turn off" the gene, causing conflict in future

May 26, 2018
It'll be this
W3bzPbj.png

Wanda will say, "No, more mutants!" and they'll all be born.

In reality, I see their options as Scarlet Witch nonsense, saying mutants were kept secret until now (stupid), and them being an alternate universe that's merged with MCU. None of them are ideal situations. Maybe they'll do something really creative, but I don't really care in the end as long as I get my mutants.

What if Wandavision ends with the accidental creation of mutants...?

May 26, 2018
Yeah that's where it would happen if the first thing I said were to take place. It'd be a different take on what she's infamous for in the comics, but it'd be pretty lame to just have mutants suddenly exist because of her. No, thanks.

Well obviously the easiest answer here is just have the X-Men stories be completely separate from the rest of the MCU for about 7 years, get all your good stories in, and then bring it in during some big Infinity War-style megamix if you really need to.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You can't have the story be that the X-Men were always around. That's lame as shit and doesn't make any sense. Even with Cerebro BS.

I also don't want to have the characters in name only. I want their backstories and character dynamics maintained.

So the solution in my view is to have the first MCU X-Men movie be set in an alternate universe set anywhere between the 70's to the mid 90's. Mutants never existed in 'our' world, but the movie would end with them being expelled from that timeline through the actions of the villain (or maybe even a misguided hero), ending up in current day MCU-prime.

It basically solves every single problem. You can still have a Magneto with his concentration camp backstory without him being 90 years old. You can allow the X-Men to have a history and even go back and tell other stories with those characters in their old world if need be. And why does the public hate mutants and not all of the other established heroes? Because they're basically refugees/migrants "who don't belong here!" Which is topical and fits really well in an X-Men story.
It removes a key element of their story that limits their growth, though. Basically, it means that every character from X-Men that ever existed was introduced to the world all at once, since the current world of the MCU doesn't possess mutants. That's a lot of moving parts to manage simultaneously, and the longer the movies wait to introduce effectively pre-established characters in this "new world", it runs counter to your desire for maintained backstories, because a lot of those stories would effectively need to be glossed over for runtime concerns.

We also run into the Spider-Man dilemma. I know it's a bit controversial, but I appreciate the changes and liberties they took with MCU Spider-Man, because it allows for his story to be told in a more modern context while also accepting the reality that no one needed a 3rd retread of the same stories they had already seen. X-Men has a similar problem, so I think you can expect that, while they will surely tell new stories and disregard certain perceived canonical mandates, they will still play with some of the better stories in the X-Men universe regardless (one of the things proposed that I like was including Mystique and/or Rogue in a Captain Marvel film... for some pretty obvious reasons).

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Well, the first Strange movie kind of explained it, they fought all their ancient battles and wars on a different plane of reality. It would be an incredibly easy task for one of them to be able to be undetected forever if they wanted.

It's part of why I'm not a fan of the idea.

I have a feeling that this plays a part in it, too (I'll explain why when I get to my own idea further down), but maybe not BREAKING the MCU. Just like the Guardians sort of allowed Thanos to be back-doored into the MCU as being "always there", I feel Doctor Strange is going to be where the next super-major big-bad is going to be back-doored from.

Actually, whether you love him or hate him, this reads pretty close to Bob Chipman's theory of how to introduce the Fantastic Four to the MCU, right down the time displacement and their antiquated notions of American society being confronted with modern reality, but excluding Dr. Doom from the first movie (which I think he's right about).

www.youtube.com

In Bob We Trust - HOW TO FIX "THE FANTASTIC FOUR" IN THE MCU (PART I)

https://www.patreon.com/moviebob1PART I of II: Bob lays out a hypothetical plan for bringing The Fantastic Four to the Marvel Cinematic Universe - and giving...

Me too. Say what you want about the Netflix shows, but they were (outside of Iron Fist) REALLY well-cast, and JK Simmons returning as J. Jonah Jameson means that's not even something that you need to take off the table, which is great.

That's hilarious! I enjoy Moviebob's movie pitch ideas, and I'm surprised I haven't seen this one. Gonna watch it now. Lol

I also really like the Netflix shows. I also think they were really well cast (also, except for Iron Fist XD ), and feel like it'd be a shame to waste that talent once they inevitably integrate DareDevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Punisher into the MCU. They're probably waiting for some Netflix contractual stuff to be sorted out (I think I remember there being something about how the cast was contracted to work on Netflix seasons of the Marvel shows, but because those seasons are never happening, they can't reprise their roles in Marvel productions featuring those characters? Some bullshit like that?). I'd love to see Mike Coulter, Kristen Ritter, Charlie Cox, Jon Bernthal, and Vincent D'Nofrio back.

EDIT: Watching the Moviebob FF pitch now, and holy shit, it's hilariously close to my pitch! Which means I'm sure Marvel has already thought about it. Lol

EDIT: 2 after watching his take, the only aspect that, unfortunately, wouldn't work now is having Puppet Master be the main antagonist, and his plan. It's too reminiscent of Mysterio's plot in Spider-Man: Far From Home. Not that they couldn't have that be a B or C plot for the Fantastic Four to tackle, but it would be too much of a "retread" so to speak, to be the primary conflict of the film. I think sticking with the heroes wrestling with their fish out of water status and outdated viewpoints is a lot as is (especially if you want to go the Black Panther route, and have it be more topical than you'd expect from a Fantastic Four movie), you could always throw in the Mole Man as the "main" threat to the city that they come together to stop, but the real meat of the movie would be exploring the "modern family" struggle the team now faces, and them slowly growing as characters (but, much like Tony Stark in Iron Man 1), they don't complete that journey in that film, but the stage is set for further growth in future Fantastic Four films. They set aside their various interpersonal conflicts just long enough to stop Mole Man from whatever wackiness he's planning.

I think I'd treat the FF films like Ant-Man films for starters. I know they're Marvel's First Family, and they most certainly deserve respect, and I don't mean treat them like the Ant-Man films in terms of tone/comedy, but in terms of scope/scale. At least for this first outting. They're establishing themselves by handling a smaller threat, setting them up as underdogs in an MCU where the Avengers exist, and each successive film has them rising in prominence (both in universe, and in movie-goer's eyes), until they become a key player in defeating Galactus (kind of like how Ant-Man became a key player in the Thanos saga). This could actually work, as, after the departure of Tony Stark and Steve Rogers, the Avengers themselves can be feeling a little rudderless, as Carol Danvers finds herself struggling with her galactic responsibilities, and therefore can't always be there to bail out the New Avengers every time they encounter a larger than life threat to Earth. The Fantastic Four can step up to the plate over the course of their films.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
X-men is an animated series in the MCU universe. Scientists invent a machine that can bring fictional characters to life. They want to try it on Jessica Rabbit for purposes, but someone accidentally switches the channel to X-men

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That's hilarious! I enjoy Moviebob's movie pitch ideas, and I'm surprised I haven't seen this one. Gonna watch it now. Lol

I also really like the Netflix shows. I also think they were really well cast (also, except for Iron Fist XD ), and feel like it'd be a shame to waste that talent once they inevitably integrate DareDevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Punisher into the MCU. They're probably waiting for some Netflix contractual stuff to be sorted out (I think I remember there being something about how the cast was contracted to work on Netflix seasons of the Marvel shows, but because those seasons are never happening, they can't reprise their roles in Marvel productions featuring those characters? Some bullshit like that?). I'd love to see Mike Coulter, Kristen Ritter, Charlie Cox, Jon Bernthal, and Vincent D'Nofrio back.

EDIT: Watching the Moviebob FF pitch now, and holy shit, it's hilariously close to my pitch! Which means I'm sure Marvel has already thought about it. Lol

EDIT: 2 after watching his take, the only aspect that, unfortunately, wouldn't work now is having Puppet Master be the main antagonist, and his plan. It's too reminiscent of Mysterio's plot in Spider-Man: Far From Home. Not that they couldn't have that be a B or C plot for the Fantastic Four to tackle, but it would be too much of a "retread" so to speak, to be the primary conflict of the film. I think sticking with the heroes wrestling with their fish out of water status and outdated viewpoints is a lot as is (especially if you want to go the Black Panther route, and have it be more topical than you'd expect from a Fantastic Four movie), you could always throw in the Mole Man as the "main" threat to the city that they come together to stop, but the real meat of the movie would be exploring the "modern family" struggle the team now faces, and them slowly growing as characters (but, much like Tony Stark in Iron Man 1), they don't complete that journey in that film, but the stage is set for further growth in future Fantastic Four films. They set aside their various interpersonal conflicts just long enough to stop Mole Man from whatever wackiness he's planning.

I think I'd treat the FF films like Ant-Man films for starters. I know they're Marvel's First Family, and they most certainly deserve respect, and I don't mean treat them like the Ant-Man films in terms of tone/comedy, but in terms of scope/scale. At least for this first outting. They're establishing themselves by handling a smaller threat, setting them up as underdogs in an MCU where the Avengers exist, and each successive film has them rising in prominence (both in universe, and in movie-goer's eyes), until they become a key player in defeating Galactus (kind of like how Ant-Man became a key player in the Thanos saga). This could actually work, as, after the departure of Tony Stark and Steve Rogers, the Avengers themselves can be feeling a little rudderless, as Carol Danvers finds herself struggling with her galactic responsibilities, and therefore can't always be there to bail out the New Avengers every time they encounter a larger than life threat to Earth. The Fantastic Four can step up to the plate over the course of their films.
Puppet Master is just a really convenient way to get Ben Grimm and Alicia Masters together and for her to stick around, though.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
There was that big energy blast when the Gauntlet got snapped by Thanos, and then a second when Hulk did it, and probably a 3rd when Tony did it.

That could be used as a trigger to make more mutants than just the few living in secret like Xavier and Magneto.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Hickman storyboarded the whole roll-out for you, Disney.

29619188._SX540_.jpg

HIckman's story works so well because it plays on and contrasts with the last 50 years of X-Men. People are going to feel robbed if you jump right to that. The Fox X-Men movies botched so many things that people want to see just the basics, good versions of characters like Cyclops/Iceman/Angel/etc.

This is where I think the lack of exploration of the MCU during the 5 years post snap could be interesting. You can say that mutants have always existed (allowing for Wolverine/Magneto/Xavier) to have some history, but they were extremely rare. A group tiny enough that they were mostly ignored. After the snap though, they started popping up everywhere. Who knows, maybe the snap did something to accelerate dormant mutant genes. You suddenly have mutants popping up left and right. That even works to explain why mutants are feared and hated in a world that loves the Avengers. The Avengers were a small group of people the public mostly knew. Mutants are suddenly everywhere, and their powers just show up with no rhyme or reason, and sometimes they hurt people. Xavier established his school and his first group of X-Men in the first year or two post snap. They've been active ever since. Then Thanos is defeated and they bring everyone back and suddenly there are a ton more mutants even, if people thought they were scary before, man, now look at them. This is when the government starts looking into things like the sentinel program perhaps.

It also gives that senior group 4-5 years of having been X-Men already, which is an eternity in the MCU. Either as room to tell an origin story in, or for the opporunity to skip an origin story and jump right to business. Why weren't they contacted in Endgame? The Avengers had mostly broken up, guys like Tony and Steve were doing their own thing, they weren't exactly keyed into the larger hero community. Everyone who got brought in at the end there were people who were active pre snap. Simple as that. That could even be used against them though by the public. Why weren't these X-Men, if they want to be considered heroes, there for such an important fight?

CSMITHY84

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Wouldn't they go down the route of few solo films or a standalone film then launch into a full on Avengers vs X-Men movie?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017

Pass.

The solution is that mutants have always been there, but in low number. This is canon to the comics anyway.

Then you go for the fact that in the comics, mutant populations have been in a boom for the past 30 or so years. Tweak that from the comic and make it the last 10-12 years. They started to be born in large enough numbers that Hydra started to experiment, which would then tie into Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver's origins while also helping provide the stock needed to help explain away various attempts at trying to recreate the super soldier serum, which would then tie back into the Hulk's backstory. They could even link Wolverine to Banner and explain that a rogue Hydra group called Weapon Plus was experimenting on Wolverine and the feedback loop of Wolverine's DNA in distilled form made its way to Banner's serum project that then lead the way to the creation of Hulk. Wolverine healing fast helps provide a basis for why Hulk heals fast.

Then you have the Sokovia Accords and the rounding up of superhumans to prompt Xavier to start the Institute off screen, and then Infinity War, the Snap, and the five year gulf to explain the rapid acceleration in the mutant population and the creation of the X-Men themselves.

And if the MCU goes for Magneto's full powerset instead of him being a magnet man, you'd already have a built in way to keep him looking middle aged. Dude nigh-on controls matter and energy, making himself remain a physically fit 60 year old without having to be de-aged and cloned like he was in the comics even though he's pushing 100 isn't too much of a stretch. So then you can keep his WWII links and maybe even tie him into being rescued by Captain America.

Nov 2, 2017
They will just retcon them in to current canon, same as eternals and inhumans. I don't see why they would have to be any different from the other celestial offshoots.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I wouldn't mind them picking and choosing some Fox people to reprise roles, I wouldn't be too sad if they end up keeping Wolverine/Logan away for a while and maybe some multi-versey timey-wimey shenanigans to use Laura with Dafne Keen being brought back, by the time they get to it she'll probably be an adult at the rate things are going to go now and have her be their Wolverine. Could probably do something with Jackman's Wolverine and obviously Deadpool is going to show up. Maybe Evan Peters version of Quicksilver? There's not really a lot worth salvaging from Fox.

It's going to be messy any way they manage it unless they completely change all the characters and their history and ties to already established MCU characters. Do they go and make it a seperate universe, build it up before an X-Men vs Avengers movie that leads to a MCU Crisis on Infinite Earths like event?

Guess could go TheMadTitan's route too.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This. House of X/Powers of X give a pretty cool way of integrating X-Men into the MCU with a Moira-retcon.

They were hiding all this time and boom, mutants reveal themselves and establish a mutant nation on Krakoa.

Yeah. I kind of what them to just blow people's expectations and go Krakoa. Make them mysterious pseudo antagonists responding to the changing world.

Bring in other secret societies like Atlantis and Attilan too and form an Illuminati.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Now that another big Disney/Marvel event has passed with no word on the X-Men, I have a few thoughts.

For what to do about Magneto, I'm going to quote myself from a previous thread:

On the MCU side, use the Winter Soldier program for Magneto. Have him be identified as a potential weapon by his captors in Auschwitz and handed over to Hydra, being brainwashed and put in and out of deep freeze like Bucky was. His relationship with Professor X can be tied to Xavier using his powers to free Magneto from Hydra's brainwashing.

I would also add that during the earlier phases of the MCU, Professor X, Magneto and Wolverine were a small team travelling the world and helping cover up the existence of mutants.

Now, onto the rest:

Rogue (Captain Marvel Sequel)

Bring in Rogue and Mystique as the villains in a Captain Marvel sequel. Mystique manipulates a teenage Rogue into draining Carol, which creates a "hero must win without their powers" scenario. Rogue, unable to control Captain Marvel's abilities, winds up causing a ton of damage, which eventually leads to the Sentinels being deployed.

Instead of creating a bitter rivalry between Rogue and Captain Marvel, have Carol instead draw on her experience with Yon-Rogg to empathize and connect with a young girl who is being manipulated by a mentor who pretends to care about her but only wants to use her to control her powers. Carol eventually finds a way to transfer her powers back, but a smaller, more controllable portion stays with Rogue. The movie culminates with Rogue, Carol, and friends very publicly taking down the Sentinels, and Mystique slipping away.

In the post-credits, the release of the Sentinels leads to several mutants finding Mystique, and pledging to join her crusade.

Wolverine (Avengers Sequel)

Don't introduce Wolverine in the X-Men movie. Instead, have him show up in an Avengers sequel because he owes Nick Fury a favor that is never explained.

At one point, Carol asks Wolverine to help Rogue learn to control her powers. Logan tells her that he knows a guy.

The Big One - The X-Men Movie:

Here's the big pitch: X-Men in the MCU is Harry Potter for superheroes with Cyclops as the main character.

Scott Summers is an orphan dealing with his emerging mutant power who is recruited by Professor X to come to his boarding school for mutant teenagers in the wake of the Sentinel incident unveiling mutants to the world. He does his best to adjust, but all the talk of the school is a growing series of attacks by Mystique's Brotherhood. During one of the news broadcasts, Scott recognizes one of Mystique's henchmen as his brother, Alex. Scott gathers a group of his friends (including Nightcrawler, Storm, and Phoenix - more on her below) to sneak out and try to pull Alex out of the Brotherhood. This leads to a confrontation that ultimately leads to the apprehension of Mystique and several high profile brotherhood members.

Professor X summons the teens to his office, where he tells them that he's not going to stop them, because they can do a lot of good, but he will insist on adult supervision - he then introduces them to Wolverine, who has come to drop off Rogue at school.

Post Credits: Mystique has a mysterious benefactor, who is revealed to be Mr. Sinister, and he's taken an interest in Cyclops.

Other Notes:

Phoenix - Phoenix is Jean's best code name, but we should stay away from the cosmic fire bird. Part of Jean's comic backstory (as a retcon for why she was initially a pure telekinetic and only became a telepath after Xavier was killed in a ratings stunt) is that when her powers manifested, she psychically experienced her best friend's death in a hit and run, and Xavier became her therapist. I would instead have her mind not know how to process that experience, leading her to shut down and be briefly medically dead until Xavier re-awakens her mind, leading to her parents calling her their "Little Phoenix"

Spider-Man 4 should be a teamup with Iceman and Firestar

Deadpool should get dumped in the MCU due to all the Phase 4 multiverse business. His next villain should be T-Ray, the native MCU version of Wade Wilson, whose life is upended when everyone in his life abandons him because Deadpool is less of a piece of shit than he is.

Oct 25, 2017
They could start at the beginning if they wanted, very few mutants with Professor X hiding them but you have the Brotherhood attack Captain Marvel, makes a big scene and boom we got mutants (obviously you'll have to adjust some things)

deftech

Oct 29, 2017
It's going to tie into the Eternals/Infinity War/End Game. The Celestials will create the Eternals and through some fuckery, they'll also give humanity the X gene somehow. The snap activates it. I'm guessing they will have oldsters like Wolverine have theirs activated in their youth, but they hid their powers until they have a reason not to.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They've always existed in smaller numbers, something exponentially increases the rate at which they appear.

Idk, this doesn't seem hard, man.

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
Having MCU X-Men brings another unique challenge. Up to this point, all of the MCU films fit neatly into their "tentpole" events like Avenger films, Civil War, etc, but X-Men have their own tentpoles they build up to like House of M, Age of Apocalypse, etc. X-men are sort of their own mini cinematic universe because they are made up of dozens and dozens of unique superheroes.

Is it best for Marvel to treat them a bit more separate the way comics do? Have different X-Men team movies build up to their own events, do co-star movies sometimes (like Thor and Hulk in Ragnarok,) and bring them together for truly big stuff like Secret Wars?

Nov 2, 2017
Coming in late as they will be, I would tie it to the Snap. The idea that of the people who went away for 5 years, and then came back... some came back different. And that would work with the whole "feared by the world they work to save" aspect as the 5 year gap would have caused it's own societal issues and if you had a ton of new supervillains/people unable to handle their powers getting people hurt, the slightest sign of diversion from the norm and people would be screaming "mutie" in a way they never would for the existing heroes.

chimpsteaks

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 12, 2019
I am curious to see if they can pull off re-PG-13ifying Wolverine and making it fit the funner friendlier MCU after the darker grittier version that culminated in Logan became so iconic. It might be their biggest challenge yet, and I'm wondering if he'll be one of the first X-Men they bring in or if they'll wait it out a few more years before they even try to do something with Wolverine

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I always find it funny people think that "You can't just say they were always there just not involved in previous stories"

When that is exactly what they are doing with the Eternals.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I always find it funny people think that "You can't just say they were always there just not involved in previous stories"

When that is exactly what they are doing with the Eternals.
I mean, I think the issue IS that they are doing that already with the Eternals, and arguably that doesn't even work very well, either.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm still on the idea of just keeping X-Men in their own, completely separate universe where they've always been a thing and only occasionally cross over through dimensional fuckery, either for small scale stuff like certain characters from regular MCU Earth going over to X-Men Earth and vice versa to doing a full blow AvX super loose adaptation.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I mean, I think the issue IS that they are doing that already with the Eternals, and arguably that doesn't even work very well, either.
I don't know I think people are just seriously overthinking it.

Like in comics Selene and Apocalypse are both Millenia old. Why did no other super team in the past encounter them until X-Factor and the New Mutants encountered them? Because they hadn't done anything to draw attention then.

Why didn't the Eternals show up in Marvel Comics till they did, also being millenia old? Same reason.

Heck why didn't world know about mutants in the comics until Magento attacked the military base? Same reason.

There doesn't need to be some big reason there are suddenly mutants. Because they're always were mutant they just didn't get involved in the stories we were seeing.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't know I think people are just seriously overthinking it.

Like in comics Selene and Apocalypse are both Millenia old. Why did no other super team in the past encounter them until X-Factor and the New Mutants encountered them? Because they hadn't done anything to draw attention then.

Why didn't the Eternals show up in Marvel Comics till they did, also being millenia old? Same reason.

Heck why didn't world know about mutants in the comics until Magento attacked the military base? Same reason.

There doesn't need to be some big reason there are suddenly mutants. Because they're always were mutant they just didn't get involved in the stories we were seeing.
The films aren't the comics, though.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, a thread for this.

Folks, we don't need an inciting incident like the snap to cause mutants. We don't need an alternate universe or reality shift to explain mutants.

Mutants are natural. An evolution of humanity. That's it.

Where have they been all this time? In the closet. Afraid to tell their parents. Masquerading as a fancy school. Oppressed. Murdered.

Where has the team been? They've been doing covert missions relevant to mutant affairs for years. They have the power to do so without being noticed (or remembered) and they use it.

Why haven't they been mentioned in the MCU yet? Besides rights issues, they haven't been relevant to the plot in any MCU film so far. It's really that simple. Hell, SHIELD might know about them, but the movie isn't about mutants, so they're not mentioned. The Avengers have clearly faced off against superpowered humans in between the 2012 movie and AoU. They have classifications and everything. Years go by in between big events. Maybe they've seen mutants off screen already.

Simple. No need for weird shenanigans. Just stick with what worked in the comics.

Edit: it's a valid question and fun to speculate, but I feel like some responses are similar to when people just go hunting for so-called "plot holes" that aren't really there.

ace3skoot

Dec 3, 2018
Practicality how they will be introduced I think the solution is tv shows, have 4/5 shows building up 1 or 2 characters per show history and backstory. With professor x showing up at the end of each show nick fury style, and the first x-men movie would function as an avengers style crossover.

MCU lore wise, I like the idea mutants were always there but in very small numbers, most are unaware there are others like them, most stay hidden or try to blend in. the snap activates so many x genes that they can no longer hide their existence.

Oct 25, 2017
Outside Wolvie and Deadpool, the X-Men cast isn't nearly as well known/established as solo characters as they are as parts of X-Men teams, so I doubt Marvel would try and replicate the Phase 1 structure for them. If anything, I could see them try and replicate the comics with a bunch of X-Men associated teams (ex. New Mutants, X-Factor, X-Force, Excalibur, etc) getting their own films and having crossover movies with their own titles (Mutant Massacre, Age of Apocalypse, House of M, Avengers vs. X-Men, etc.).

I'd argue XMen have a more recognizable cast than Avengers did (pre mcu).

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd argue XMen have a more recognizable cast than Avengers did (pre mcu).
I'm not talking about recognizability. Like, yeah, way more people knew who Cyclops and Nightcrawler are compared to Thor and Ant-Man prior to their solo movies, but there's not really that much material for you to draw from if you wanted to make solo movies for them.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
You guys wanna hear my fan cast

Lance Reddick: Professor X
Henry Cavill: Cyclops
Bryce Dallas Howard: Jean Grey
Lakeith Stanfield: Gambit
Lily James: Rogue
Justin Theroux: Wolverine

Thanks

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
They've been there the whole time. That's the actual answer haha. You'll see a few next year and some are getting shows before a big team up Xmen movie in 5 years or so.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
An MCU X-Men movie is the dream. People can say whatever they want Fox X-Men movies had their moments but I felt like they just never went all in and embraced it in the way the MCU just says screw it gives them colorful costumes, puts them in space etc. I cannot wait.