• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
We've already received Mega Man 1-10 through both volumes of the Mega Man Legacy Collection (or RockMan Classics Collection 1 + 2 in Japan).
We've already received Mega Man X-X8 through both volumes of the Mega Man X Legacy Collection (or the Rockman X Anniversary Collection Vol. 1 & 2 in Japan).
And now we've just received Mega Man Zero 1-4 plus Mega Man ZX & ZX Advent through the Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection (or RockMan Zero & ZX Double Hero Collection in Japan).

At this point, there are three other major Mega Man series left that have yet to be out on collections, & those are the Mega Man Legends series, the Mega Man Battle Network series, & the Mega Man Star Force series. The question is, how will they work?

For Battle Network, Capcom has the first two Battle Network games individually, as well as Mega Man: Battle Chip Challenge, but ever since Battle Network 3, they've been going the Pokémon route in terms of having two different versions of the same games:
  • Mega Man Battle Network 3 - Blue Version & White Version.
  • Mega Man Battle Network 4 - Blue Moon & Red Sun.
  • Mega Man Battle Network 5 - Team Colonel & Team Protoman.
  • Mega Man Battle Network 6 - Cybeast Falzar & Cybeast Gregar.
Will Capcom have to wind up porting both versions of those games apiece, or will they go for the ones which makes the most sense storywise? And the same goes for the Mega Man Star Force series, in which consists of the following:
  • Mega Man Star Force: Leo, Dragon & Pegasus.
  • Mega Man Star Force 2: Zerker x Ninja & Zerker x Saurian.
  • Mega Man Star Force 3: Black Ace & Red Joker.
Then there's the Mega Man Legends series consisting of Mega Man Legends 1, 2, & The Misadventures of Tron Bonne. Now those games will obviously have to be given the Crash Bandicoot: N-Sane Trilogy & the Spyro Reignited Trilogy treatment in which they were all made on PS1, though both MM Legends 1 & 2 have received ports on PSP, but only in Japan (titled RockMan DASH 1 & 2). Though I don't think that even the PSP ports would work in this day & age, either. Not to mention if they do this, they can get people riled up for a "possible" Mega Man Legends 3 which has been long overdue in which they've cancelled it before.

What are your thoughts about it? Not saying that they'll do these right now, but it's something to consider & think about in the near future.

Last edited:

Kamiyouni

Oct 30, 2017
Probably the red versions as one pack and blue as another. Or just release them on the GB/GBA NSO.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Considering they let you choose between English or Japanese in the other Legacy collections, I don't see why they wouldn't let you choose between versions for BN

they could do combined versions but I don't think they'd care for the effort that would take

MykonosFan

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love for them to just toss all the Battle Networks in there. I'm one of the weirdos that would get super excited the second they announce a collection, so ideally it would just let you pick from the entire pool.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
The real question for a Battle Network collection (since it'll likely just be the main six games with the option to let you pick which version to play for 3-6) is do they pull a Zero/ZX and include the Star Force games with them, or do they leave those out to try and make a standalone Star Force collection.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
They'll bundle MML 1-3 together and then cancel it 6 months after the announcement.

Oct 25, 2017
The real question for a Battle Network collection (since it'll likely just be the main six games with the option to let you pick which version to play for 3-6) is do they pull a Zero/ZX and include the Star Force games with them, or do they leave those out to try and make a standalone Star Force collection.
I feel like there's enough star force games for a collection on their own.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
All I know is that it better include Network Transmission, or at least the entire soundtrack for free listening.

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest after battle network...don't kill me but I don't want a legends collection I kinda what those two.or rather 3 if we count Tron to be full on crash style remakes

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be that guy™ but I just love this series too much, sorry:
Would you look at this, I just finished replaying 3 yesterday (for the nth time).

So, yeah, BN may be my favorite series ever, and totally deserves a collection (and so does Star Force) but

I dunno about porting them like Classic and X. There is just way too much content that was only available outside the games (lotto codes, EX codes, compression codes, a couple of chips, eReader stuff, Beast Link stuff, Boktai crossover stuff, special chip inputs) not to mention straight up cut content ('sup 6). The same for SF (all the cool customization you can do that was tied to Japan only merchandise). And SF has the addendum of having the multiplayer features (I don't think Triple Tribe is acessible in 2 even when using the NPC partner, and you can't mix and match Noises in 3 at all). Even the Wii U VC releases of the BN games are missing that, though they give you the multiplayer/trade only chips.

Between that and how rough BN1 and 4 are, how the games are super dependent on random encounters that modern audience hates, and how much grinding 2 and 3 can require (chip drop rates in 3 suuuuuuck, and grinding styles and specific chip codes is a pain), BN would be much better served with a remake, since adding all that shit on the games would require a bunch of new hints/events/whatever anyway. Uh, and 1-4 still have quite the amount of typos and some straight up mistranslations here and there.

Besides that, there is the elephant in the room of BN1 already having a (slightly) tweaked port with extra content in the form of Operation Shooting Star that never was released outside of Japan too. Would a collection have vanilla BN1 or OSS? If they are willing to translate the new content in OSS, why not the extra content in BN6?

Star Force 3 though, that could be ported as is. Though I would love to have some extra bosses added in.
I actually forgot to mention this. 5 already has a "enhanced" port too:
68617_front.jpg

And even then I don't think you can unlock all the Crosses without cheats nowadays/in the US version. Need to replay 5...
BN5 might be the DS version that has both games and extra content.
Personally I would like to see BN3 fused into a single package.
4 nobody cares, so 6 can just have the two versions in the title screen.

All of them probably will have the Wii U VC unlocks.

But please at least restore the maps in 6. Why the hell that was cut.

Bigger question is if they are going to mess with Network Transmission, BCC or 4.5. Or add online multiplayer
It's super nice, and similar to how the DS MMZ Collection gives you the eReader unlocks for MMZ3. Absolutely important for archival purposes but also mega fun to just play around with.

I really hope that if a Starforce collection happens, they do the same with the SF3 poker hand mods.

Oct 25, 2017
Battle Network 4? Battle Network 5? Yuck.

They just need to port the first three games and they'll be fine
Gonna have to quote myself again smh
BN3 is the pokemon gen 1 of the BN series smh

Solo SF collection would be DOA, much like a solo ZX collection.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
However they separate out and price the Battle Network and Star Force collections, it's all good; all I want is for them to add quality of life features like those seen in the more recent ports of Final Fantasy VII, VIII, and IX, such as toggles for 3x speed and random encounters.

The Battle Network games especially are mostly terrific, but their and the Star Force series' way-too-high encounter rates wouldn't land well today. Take care of that problem, and we're golden.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Would it really take that much extra manpower to have both versions of the Battle Network games in the collection? I never got the impression they were super different than one another (though I never got past BN2 myself).

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I'm more curious if they'll acknowledge the MMBN/Star Force crossover from the DS, or just let that fade away to be forgotten, much like its sales numbers.

Then there's the DS version of MMBN5, but I don't think that added enough to really matter since iirc it was just both versions of MMBN5 with some touch screen controls/voices.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
As a big fan of Battle Network and Star Force I'll buy whatever physical limited edition they might make without even thinking, yes I love all these games very dearly. I replayed BN 2-6 last year and found they still hold up great although I agree that BN4 and BN5 are on the weaker end. I also hope that they would use Operate Shooting Star as a base for BN1, from what I've seen it does enhance BN1 quite a bit.

And now I want to lose a few words about Star Force, having replayed Star Force 1 and recently finished Star Force 2 for the first time (and now salivating seeing videos about Star Force 3 which I really have to import soon as I never had the chance to get it in Europe) I really don't get the hate for Star Force overall o.o Yes it has a battle-system that's more focused on action and Star Force 1 was a tad easy, while they made Star Force 2 hard in annoying ways but overall I have to say everything else about these games is on par if not better than Battle Network at times and I say that as someone who loves Battle Network very dearly as said.

I also want to mentioned that including the bits and pieces I saw of SF3 I think the cast of Star Force is better than the Battle Network one overall. Geo, Mega, Luna, Sonia, Bud, Zack, Aaron, Hope, they all have a great chemistry between each other and I love the world-building too, I really can't to wait to play SF3 myself!

Yeah Capcom pumped these games out far too fast and SF2 might have been a bit of a dud but that series had no right to be killed after SF1 showed a great promise and SF3 knocking things out of the park so I hope we really get a collection that does both series justice atleast and who knows maybe we get new entries one day. I'm almost scared to say that but I want to admit that I think I would actually be hyped more for a Star Force 4 than I would for a Battle Network 7 (aside from the BN7 fan-project, that one is great too!)

Having all that said though, any consense on if I should import Black Ace or Red Joker? Or does it not really matter like always? :P

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
There's also Mega Man Network Transmission, Rockman EXE WS & Rockman EXE Operate Shooting Star to think about for BN/SF collections. Though the latter two were never localised so it's doubtful, just as perhaps we didn't get Rockman & Forte because Megaman and Bass never made a SNES apperance back in the day

Also yet to be rereleased:

Mega Man (GB)
Mega Man II(GB)
Mega Man III(GB)
Mega Man IV(GB)
Mega Man V (GB) - this is the biggest game not to be available imo. so good
Mega Man Xtreme
Mega Man Xtreme 2
Mega Man & Bass (shitty GBA version)

Someone had the idea in a previous thread of the above being released as a collection together (all GB MM games)

Then the leftovers which would probably struggle to be released:

Saturn Mega Man 8
Mega Man MHX1
Mega Man X: Command Mission
Mega Man Soccer
Mega Man: Battle & Chase
Power Battle
Power Fighters
Rockman Battle & Fighters
Powered Up

Last edited:

Truner

Oct 27, 2017
Hungary
Also yet to be rereleased:
Mega Man & Bass (shitty GBA version)
There's also the WonderSwan only Rockman & Forte game.

While I don't really see it happening, I'd love it if they translated Rockman DASH 2: Episode 1 for the most-probably-coming Legends collection. It was included with the Japanese release of the PSP game, so at least they remember it. Aside from that, this would be the perfect chance to release the already finished Legends 3 Prototype Demo. It's done, it's playable, might as well throw it on the collection and make bank on it, see how people react to it and go from there.

For Battle Network, I'd hope they did one collection only. We are talking about GBA games only here. I can see why they want to separate multi-console releases (Legacy 1 is just NES games, Legacy 2 is everything else, for example), or good games from "bad" ones (X Legacy 1 and 2), but with Zero/ZX being 6 games with an extra mode to top it, I don't see how they couldn't just get everything Battle Network into one collection.

We also still need a collection that includes the fifth GB game, Bass and the WS only Forte sequel, alongside whatever else niche shit they consider worth the inclusion.