• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How do you think MS will handle Bethesda games in regard to exclusivity?

• Everything will be exclusive to Xbox/PC

Votes: 824 36.6%
  • Everything will be exclusive to Xbox/PC except games already in development

Votes: 606 26.9%
  • Everything will be exclusive to Xbox/PC except the biggest games (TES, Starfield etc...)

Votes: 169 7.5%
  • Everything will be exclusive to Xbox/PC except some smaller games/ports for Switch and maybe PS

Votes: 396 17.6%
  • All/most games will be multiplatform but Gamepass users will the games day 1 with some extra content

Votes: 198 8.8%
  • Something else

Votes: 57 2.5%

• Total voters

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
I think it'll be a mixed bag, and it'll entirely depend on the IP.

Established IPs will likely see themselves in one way or another multiplatform. It might take 2 years for Elder Scrolls to come to PS5 or Switch, and they won't tell you which console or that it'll take 2 years, but they won't call it Xbox exclusive. They'll use the weird terminology that no one really gets what it means. New IPs though are going exclusive, minus the contracts they have with Sony.

I do think that means Starfield will be exclusive, but Doom probably won't be. They'll take a page from Minecraft with the established IPs that might be able to sell more than just games and systems. Merchandising could be huge for some of their older IP.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think they spent all that money just for some timed exclusivity. If they wanted that, surely they could've gotten it for the next few years at a fragment of the cost. These games are going full exclusive.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if selling a few million copies of games on other platforms a year or two after launch on xbox is something microsoft would want to pursue, i really don't understand why they'd do it only for bethesda games. surely their own games would make a lot of money that way as well?

buying timed console exclusivity and/or having games on game pass day 1 could have been achieved with way less than 7.5 billion.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
I think everything will eventually become exclusive unless there are deals in place that stop it (Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo). The only exceptions I could maybe see are if games are far in development so they've put in a lot of work into getting the game running on a PS5 then I could maybe still see them coming out there.

I cannot see something like TES6 coming to PS5 though, it just doesn't make sense to me if Microsoft really want to push people towards Xbox/PC/Gamepass that's the one you definitely make sure doesn't come out anywhere else because it's one of those games that will get people into the ecosystem.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
My guess is the games that aren't already out on or have previously existing exclusivity deals with PlayStation won't be coming to that platform.... unless Sony allows Game Pass on their consoles.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely think, except maybe games already in dev and with announced platforms, that everything will be exclusive to Xbox and PC, day 1 on Gamepass.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
apart from stuff that they have to release on PlayStation or switch due to pre-existing deals, it's safer to assume Zenimax/Bethesda games will be on Xbox and PC going forward. Occasionally you might see something on Switch. Same way you won't see games by studios bought by Sony on Xbox. The only way I can see you being able to play a new Zenimax/Bethesda game on a non MS console is if Sony and or Nintendo allow gamepass/Xcloud streamed games.

Minecraft still being on everything is going to be the exception.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Everything will be console exclusives but exceptions are possible on some b-tier titles. Also don't expect Gamepass on another echosystem, it makes no sense regarding third-parties that are on the service. You would need another formula with only XGS titles, like the EA Access.

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
TES6 is going to be huge, it won't come to PlayStation at all. I wonder how they will handle the PC version though. Obviously it will be on Gamepass but will they make it exclusive for a while to drive gamepass subs? Or release it on Steam, Epic store etc to maximise sales? This is the more interesting question I think.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TES6 is going to be huge, it won't come to PlayStation at all. I wonder how they will handle the PC version though. Obviously it will be on Gamepass but will they make it exclusive for a while to drive gamepass subs? Or release it on Steam, Epic store etc to maximise sales? This is the more interesting question I think.
the games they've released on steam so far have done really well for them, i see no reason for them to stop.

B1ggRandall

Oct 27, 2017
I still think big games like Fallout and Elder Scrolls will appear on PS but Xbox get exclusive content and mod support!

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but at a later date correct? I'm just thinking TES6 is so huge of a release would they be better to get it on Steam at the same time or drive gamepass with a short term exclusive?
their recent games have launched on steam day 1. it's their older games that in some cases have taken some time to come to steam.

for something like tes6, i think they're gonna want a huge launch on steam on top of the game pass subs the game is gonna bring on pc/console.

Klaw

Nov 16, 2017
France
I think everything will be exclusive at some point, except games already out (TESO, F76, ...) and games that are almost ready to launch.
Xbox need exclusive games to bring more and more people to Game Pass (I'm not even talking about selling consoles). And if you put all your biggets games everywhere, it makes no sense... unless you put Game Pass everywhere :p

Only thing I wonder is "why not making them temporary exclusives, AND at some point put them everywhere". Like they are doing now on PC with games releasing on Steam.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since I'll be playing the Bethesda games I want to play on PC, makes no difference to me. But I'm willing to bet that games without release dates already set like Deathloop will be going Xbox/PC exclusive including Elder Scrolls and Starfield.

Their Switch ports could still happen.

But honestly for my taste in games, I'd give up whatever Bethesda offers to get the Sony first party stuff, if I had to pick a console.

Oct 7, 2020
Italy
I think all the games in development will release elsewhere too, new ones will most likely be Xbox exclusive. The communication from MS on this is really conflicting since you have Phil Spencer saying they don't need to support other systems while saying that they will consider it case by case and another exec hinting at timed exclusivity.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I picked games will be multiplatform, but free on Game Pass on day one.

Similar to how it is on PC now, right?

If you want them for *free*, you will need to subscribe to Game Pass and from the Windows Store........or if you don't want to do that, you can buy them from the Steam store.

Edit- only 8% voted for that lol.

grizzelye

Oct 29, 2017
Will be up to MS on a game by game basis. But leaning more toward exclusive games on Gamepass for that subscription signup.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
If they were going to be full exclusive they'd declare it immediately to boost Xbox sales. The fact they've been vague on the details probably indicates bethesda games will continue multi platform just like Minecraft.

Oct 25, 2017
Other than the games already announced for Playstation we won't be seeing anything else form Bethesda released in platforms other than Xbox and PC. The opposite doesn't make sense, it would jeopardize MS game pass strategy.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
I think any games due to release in 2021 that have already had years of development on PlayStation platforms won't be scrapped, Deathloop is evidence of that.

I think anything beyond 2021, including Starfield, will only launch on Game Pass platforms.

As a $7.5 Billion acquisition, Bethesda is Microsoft's way of exponentially increasing the appeal of Game Pass, both to new subscribers and potential partners. Having some convoluted, timed release strategy that fluctuates per product on a seemingly random basis is too confusing and ultimately pulls out a substantial amount of the acquisition value.

Surface

Nov 6, 2017
Well if / when they make elders scrolls VI exclusive that is the day I need to switch library to MS, does not feel good as Im heavily digital. Yes Im this strange gamer that want to be in just one eco system at a time

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
MS have stated that they will honour pre-existing deals. If a game hasn't been announced yet and has a deal to be PS exclusive, I'm sure MS could find a way to wriggle out of it but then I don't think PS could have any other deals besides what's already announced.

Everything else will be MS exclusive. Maybe Steam release also.

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
All games will be Xbox exclusive apart from the 2 games that have signed contracts with Sony and gaas. Nothing else will go to Sony. They will probably put some smaller titles on switch like they have already done.

ethanradd

Oct 30, 2017
I think everything that was already in development will still be multiplatform, however the "next batch" of releases will be Xbox/PC exclusive, I don't see MS shutting down versions of games that were years in already in development.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Nearly everything will be exclusive. However, a few games here and there may end up being ported to other consoles when they are older.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
In fairness we don't know, we don't have many examples of publishers being bought. I expecting it to be a Mojang situation.

If I have to hazard a guess I say nothing will really change. Microsoft will put it on Gamepass day one and give exclusive content.

If they have something to announce in March like the rumours suggest about the situation if they were going all exclusive a simple press release would do. Doing a presentation means if far more complicated than that.

Edit: I do have a question. How long in advance do publishers sign deals to publish on a particular console? Sony could have signed a deal to allow Starfield and Elder Scrolls on PS5 before the final deal for Microsoft acquisition was signed. Since its a publisher not just a studio they must have a few titles signed to be on PS5.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Everything Xbox and PC except things already planned to come to PlayStation (so Deathwire Tokyo and Deathloop) and Fallout 76/ESO will continue to get updates everywhere.

If you have a chance to make Xbox the only (console) place to play The Elder Scrolls, Doom, Wolfenstein, Fallout, Dishonored etc then you do it. They own them. They'd be mad not to.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All future games will be exclusive, it would be shortsighted to do otherwise.

I also expect more acquisitions at the Bethesda meeting.

Litigator

Oct 31, 2017
Longer term, making them available only on gamepass and nowhere else is a possibility I think. Probably an option that's being floated around in MS boardrooms. The business purpose of the acquisition seems to have been to obtain a content factory to feed gamepass.

They recently tried to double the price of Gold overnight to drive GP subscriptions and only walked it back when it blew up in their faces. They could come at it from a different angle with the Zenimax games. Wanna play the latest Doom, ES or Falllout? Gotta go get your gamepass subscription!

Jan 4, 2018
I think that:

- TESO / Fallout 76 : support and expansions will continue on PlayStation
- MMOs like a potential Starfield Online : timed-exclusive
- Indiana Jones : will depends if MS can renegotiate the contract (if PlayStation is specified)
- Wolfenstein 3 : unknown, may also depends if it releases soon (though Hellblade 2 is exclusive despite being the continuation of the story, thus I would be leaning towards exclusive)
- everything else (including Starfield, TES6, Fallout 5) : exclusive

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I would guess the Bethesda RPGs are timed exclusives and will come to PS after a year or so. Their big press release was hyping gamepass, not exclusivity.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I think that:

- Indiana Jones : will depends if MS can renegotiate the contract (if PlayStation is specified)
- Wolfenstein 3 : unknown, may also depends if it releases soon (though Hellblade 2 is exclusive despite being the continuation of the story, thus I would be leaning towards exclusive)
Pretty much this. There might be some wiggle room for Starfield and ES6 due to their announcement, but given that Deathloop and Ghostwire ended up being Sony console exclusives long after their announcements, MS should have no problem keeping them exclusive.
Indiana Jones is an interesting one, I guess that one depends on whether the ink dried before or after the acquisition.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Phil already said that MS doesnt need other plattforms for the Bethesda deal to make sense and be profitable down the line. Everything will be GamePass, Xbox/PC only.

Jun 17, 2018
I think that most games will be exclusive to Xbox and PC. However, I've said this before, there are a lot of PlayStations out there which would make Microsoft a lot of money.

It's an interesting scenario which I'm looking forward to see being played out. I wonder how many of those who exclusively play on PS will pick up either a Series X|S to play Bethesda titles.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
However, I've said this before, there are a lot of PlayStations out there which would make Microsoft a lot of money.
The value of a strong Game Pass ecosystem is of exponentially more value to Microsoft as a company than the dollars they would make by releasing on PlayStation. This includes hardware, software, services and Azure. I would imagine that Microsoft considered all of that potential value when making a $7.5 billion purchase.

Aug 14, 2020
I think that:

- MMOs like a potential Starfield Online : timed-exclusive

If Starfield is really due to be released in 2021, and we know Microsoft still has no control over Bethesda until the deal is done (and they legally can't influence business decisions until at least March), we have to assume Starfield on PS4/5 is still in development. When Microsoft take over, do they just drop the PS4/5 versions even though most of the development and hard work is done? Is that not just throwing away potential income and negating previous dev time?

I guess they might decide it's worthwhile in the longterm to make it into a system seller. But then they're still allowing timed exclusivity on Deathloop and Ghostwire (I assume they could buy out these contracts if they wanted to - but might be wrong) which tells me their immediate focus isn't on taking games from other platforms.

So it's possible Starfield will still be cross-platform, whereas TES6 and Fallout 5 will probably be exclusive.