• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you say 8;30

• Eight-thirty

Votes: 1,974 90.3%
  • Half past eight

Votes: 46 2.1%
  • Half-eight

Votes: 132 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 33 1.5%

• Total voters

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Not familiar with Half Eight like many in this thread. I had to have heard it in the many British shows I've seen in my life, but it's not familiar. I would be confused for a second or two if I asked someone the time and they said that back to be. Half Eight makes my brain think you are cutting half an hour from 8, which would be 7:30. I might say in response, if I had the idea that it was in the 8 o'clock hour, "So Eight Thirty? Thank you." Just for clarification.

I'm an American on the East Coast. And yes I sometimes use "Quarter to" and "Quarter past" when it's fifteen minutes of the hour or past the hour.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Eight Thirty. I rarely use half past eight. I use quarter after or quarter before eight with time much more often than saying eight fifteen or seven forty-five.

Jun 20, 2019
For me it's:

8:15 — Eight fifteen most often, quarter past eight occasionally
8:30 — Eight thirty most often, half past eight occasionally
8:45 — Quarter til nine most often, eight forty-five occasionally

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
I dont know what's worse, all the attacks on people who say half eight, or people assuming only Brits say it :(

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I say eight thirty

Last edited:

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA, Kansas City:

I'd say (and hear) eight thirty 95% of the time. Maybe occasionally I'll hear someone say "half past eight". I've never heard "Half Eight" in my life until now.

If someone told me to meet them at "half eight" I'd probably be sitting there at 4:00 wondering where they were.

Ananasas

Jul 11, 2018
I say half-nine in my native language, in English it's always eight-thirty

Last edited:

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
hmm, I'm surprised "half eight" is beating out "half past eight". I've never heard of "half X" before.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Look, I bet most people, given the problem to solve of what does "half eight mean", could work it out.

I do not believe it is anywhere near as obscure or difficult as you are making it seem.

It's still ambiguous. 7:30 or 8:30 are both reasonable interpretations (and each meaning is used within different parts of Europe, Germany/Netherlands vs. UK/Ireland).

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
alexa has a serious problems recognizing some times, like i tried to say "alexa, set an alarm for TEN FIFTY AM" and it kept making a 10:15 alarm :( I eventually just made it for ten forty, but I wonder now if I could have said ten minutes before 11am or something

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I heard anyone ever say "half-x" unironically I would give them the most incredulous stare they've ever received.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Why would I assume a word is just missing? It's fine if it's done, but it's not really something that makes sense. It could just as well be half (to) eight.
"My" system makes more sense imo, because "half X" usually means there's half of something, which is the case when the way from 7 to 8 is halfway reached.
Edit: and just to make sure, while I'm saying it makes more sense, I know it's completely arbitrary, I'm just trying to engage in some discussion here.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Why would I assume a word is just missing? It's fine if it's done, but it's not really something that makes sense. It could just as well be half (to) eight.
"My" system makes more sense imo, because "half X" usually means there's half of something, which is the case when the way from 7 to 8 is halfway reached.

dude, you asked for an explanation so that's how the language evolved for the UK...not much in English is about making sense but making sense for the time and it sticking for ages, alright?

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This half-eight shit is blowing my mind. I've never heard the term in my life and to hear that it means 7:30 as well? Good Lord. No thank you.

Oct 25, 2017
Half eight? Are we animals?
I report that the progress of the eighth hour on this 15th of October is currently at 50% completion.
Every time.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Man, next you're gonna say half a glass of juice is 1.5 glasses.
Like, half the time between 7 and 8 has passed, so 7:30 makes it half 8. I don't see how your method is explained, I honestly don't

It's not quite the same because it is time and not maths, half of eight is 4, we are both taking liberties with language.
It's all good, i'm not confused by your wrong way of doing things, i just need to remember not to presume people will know the UK way.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
It's all good, i'm not confused by your wrong way of doing things, i just need to remember not to presume people will know the UK way.
All I'm saying is, it's telling that, even though we learn British spelling, grammar and expressions at schools, the UK way of weirdly stating time is usually skipped in our English classes here in Austria..
It feels like the imperial way of telling time. Which doesn't make sense, but I'm sticking by it