• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I won't sugar coat it. I'm pissed. I'm royally pissed.

After years of a carrot on a stick someone accidentally told me someone else got the job that I was supposedly groomed for. There wasn't even a job opening. It just happened.

I took an early lunch because I'm so upset that I don't want to do anything I'll regret. I'm seriously considering looking for a new job asap.

I just needed to vent. Share your experience with dealing with this because I could use it right now.

Update:

I had the meeting and asked why. I found out it was not entirely true and the person who told me this was wrong. Basically they are a trouble maker. While the other person did get a new job, it was not at all the job I was told.

Let this be a lesson to everyone. Don't believe uniformed gossip (it's the devil's phone, best to hang up) and go into every meeting level headed, otherwise it could back fire.

Thanks again everyone for your advice!

Last edited:

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know specifics of your situation but if you want to leave, then leave

Polish that resume and start interviewing. I wouldn't leave your job until you have something lined up though

I'd also talk to your supervisor if you think you can still trust them, though I'm guessing it's a moot point by now

OP
OP
Carnby

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know specifics of your situation but if you want to leave, then leave

Polish that resume and start interviewing. I wouldn't leave your job until you have something lined up though

I'd also talk to your supervisor if you think you can still trust them, though I'm guessing it's a moot point by now

Totally. I didn't mean that I'd walk off the job. I was just mad when I wrote that. I edited it.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Don't leave until you have something else lined up, especially in the current climate.

What sort of grooming was occurring i.e. had they set objectives etc. for you to work towards for this role.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The easiest way to get a promotion is usually to change jobs. Sounds like this is your cue to do just that.

In general, I don't believe in accepting a job for a potential promotion or any other kind of promised reward down the line. I know far too well how that usually works out, and I've seen my share of people burned by it.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
Had a similar thing happen to me. Talk about there being opportunity for growth and then they hired outside. Multiple people didn't even get interviews. A lot of talk about me being the person for it on the side.

My goal was to leave but no one else wants to pay me for the skills I have. The last job I was passed up on was because they decided they wanted to pay someone $12/hr despite going after professionals in the listing.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just apply for a job at the level you want at a competing employer. If you're ready for that leap, your resume should reflect it. And then it's your current employer's loss.

ivantod

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like the only option is to look for a new job. Otherwise this resentment you feel will keep festering and you will never be happy in your current position.

You're anyway just a number to the company so they don't care one way or another.

Oct 27, 2017
honestly, you're already done there. if they pass you up for a position that was seemingly meant for you, they ain't worth ya time. start applying elsewhere.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Sounds like you should leave then. If you hit that brick wall but you still want to progress then you need to start looking for a new opportunity. And if you believe you were fully qualified and experienced for that new position, then you should be able to apply for that same higher position elsewhere. So it's not like you need to take a sideway step or anything.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
I won't sugar coat it. I'm pissed. I'm royally pissed.

After years of a carrot on a stick someone accidentally told me someone else got the job that I was supposedly groomed for. There wasn't even a job opening. It just happened.

I took an early lunch because I'm so upset that I don't want to do anything I'll regret. I'm seriously considering looking for a new job asap.

I just needed to vent. Share your experience with dealing with this because I could use it right now.

That's pretty shitty, I would start looking for another job elsewhere at the level you want, they clearly do not value you there.

Also I'd get another dog, and share pictures with Era.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
I've been groomed for a new position that would be created for me inside my team for at least one year. It ended up never becoming a reality.

Fortunately I got a new and better position at another team on my company. But it was frustrating to keep hearing the same promises over and over for a year in the hopes that I'd stay with the team.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Start looking for a new job, it sounds like these people don't value their employees at all.

I had this happen a few years ago. Basically the company I was with had fired the other two guys on the project I was on, and my boss called me and asked me to update my resume for a "title change" with the contract. They said it would be good for me too, so I updated it. They said the client accepted the change. I asked what that means for my salary. They said it would mean that they would see where I was at with annual reviews in April (it was December at the time). At that point I was thinking "fuck off".

Fortunately, I got another job at another company on that same project as that opportunity came rolling in very shortly after. I had similar issues with that company as well, and I did get a raise at one point, but still ended up seeing a better opportunity with the client, and that's where I am now and quite happy with it.

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
Took 2 weeks off, and after I came back I gave my 2 weeks notice. Company is doing okay without me so it's not like we are not replaceable in any organization.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Been there before. Was a contract worker in a marketing department. One of the marketing assistants quit. I took on all their duties. They interviewed me for the position as well as others.

They pulled me into an office to tell me the bad news and good news. They told me I sadly did not get the job. The good news was that nobody else did either lol. So I could keep doing the marketing assistants duties as well as mine for the great rate of $17 an hour lol.

I found a new job and quit without notice. Emailed the morning of saying I was offered a new job that required me to start immediately.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
This shit happens all the time. I see that quite a bit at customers I work for and hear this stuff from friends. Ask your boss why another one got the job you were groomed for. Ask for an alternative because you were looking for an upgrade and worked hard for the last years (?) to achieve that. If the outcome doesn't satisfy you, you can always look for another job later.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
You know how when a cable/phone/internet company wants you as a nee customer they tempt you with special offers? And then when they have you as a customer they don't give a shit any more and do the least amount possible to keep you, because they know people tend to stay put?

HR is the same

Oct 28, 2017
California
Been there before. Was a contract worker in a marketing department. One of the marketing assistants quit. I took on all their duties. They interviewed me for the position as well as others.

They pulled me into an office to tell me the bad news and good news. They told me I sadly did not get the job. The good news was that nobody else did either lol. So I could keep doing the marketing assistants duties as well as mine for the great rate of $17 an hour lol.

I found a new job and quit without notice. Emailed the morning of saying I was offered a new job that required me to start immediately.

How did your former employer reply? It must have been really satisfying sending that email lol

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017

That's fucked up, well within your rights to take a giant shit on their desk on the way out there as well.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
Happened to me and I started raising hell at work. Voiced any work related displeasure out loud and in public. Called out my management on their many screw ups. Publicly embarrassed them when they lied to our CFO. My work performance was also through the roof during this time.

I made it known that they're going to have to promote me or fire me to shut me up. I applied for a promotion I didn't want soon after and got one of the promotions I wanted.

Sadora

Oct 29, 2017
Went into the district manager's office and rationalized why his choice was wrong and how I could have excelled at the job.

Then, I earned a master's degree and became an adjunct.

My previous company has been bought and sold three times now.
No regrets.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Chop em up into small sizes, lightest flowering of sugar, and bam you're got a healthy snack

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I've learned just to do my job and not expect anything beyond the money I get paid to do my job. Assume any suggestion of promotion to be idle talk until it actually happens, and never take on extra responsibility without appropriate compensation.

Last edited:

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
I had a situation where I was told me and another person who was hired around the same time as me were both doing equally well for months, and then at one point I felt I had clearly pulled ahead (projects I was working on were more successful, etc.) and then suddenly that person got promoted and I didn't. Sucks ass and I'm still salty about it sometimes. I did leave the company eventually because I felt like my development wasn't important to them at all and they were happy to just keep me doing well in my same position.

Lightbreier

Oct 30, 2017
Something similar happened to me on my first job and then I learned to ignore the carrots. Take this as a lesson and make sure it does not happen again as blunt as it might sound.

Always work for money not carrots.

With that said, it is not worth getting upset since there is not much you can do now about it. You are in your right to be pissed and it is always good to let the steam go out in cases like this but don't let the negativity take over you.

You are not worse today then you were yesterday, and the only difference is that promotion might have to wait a little longer and/or happen elsewhere so take your time to think where to go from now on.

OP
OP
Carnby

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I'll have a meeting and ask why. Other than that I'm going to update my resume this weekend. There's no going back or undoing the lose of confidence and trust.

Thank you everyone for your responses.

Akalance

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
The easiest way to get a promotion is usually to change jobs.
I have no doubt that you are 100% correct and that stinks. I've seen plenty of good people who were great at their jobs and put in the years get passed over for an out of company hire and it crushes them, and leaves them with the only option of being that outside hire blocking someone at another company.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I have no doubt that you are 100% correct and that stinks. I've seen plenty of good people who were great at their jobs and put in the years get passed over for an out of company hire and it crushes them, and leaves them with the only option of being that outside hire blocking someone at another company.

Unfortunately people in charge of hiring rarely worry about the other side of the equation, which is keeping people happy. Another common situation is raises only being given when the worker says "I've been offered this much at another company; raise my salary to match or I'm out". Of course, besides underscoring the ignorance of companies about how much their employees' work is worth, this practice encourage the latter to actively and routinely look for work elsewhere if they want to earn more, which often results in finding better jobs and switching anyway even if they may not have been that interested to leave to begin with.

It's freaking stupid and comes from the same corporate mindset of taking its employees for granted as property and underappreciating their work.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had that problem: Went through a Merger with head office would now be in another town. Two Departments now meant to work as one. As more and more people were leaving as our leverage was slowly being taken away, I got proactive. I asked and kept pushing: How do I stand out, how do I stay relevant while we're treated as a satellite office. They got me on a plane to head office and introduced me to their group: All contracted/temp employees.... shit. They would say: No Worries they would have a plan for me. People at the head office had no clue who I was, what I was doing. After that trip, kept asking my boss and folks: So What's next: Don't worry, we got something. Finish that project and we'll talk. Well, they didn't have anything planned. When they Said they worked in a decentralized manner, it was all bullshit. I left. I tried talking to folks at head office before leaving, none would talk to me. So yeah, take time, ask why this didn't go to you and leave. Find something else.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Don't want to get super specific cause thats always a bad idea in my industry, but:
I had worked at a place for 5 years, was there since almost the start of the branch.
In this industry generally there are juinor level staff, mid level/just staff, and senior staff.
Normally its a show of experience and value to the company. I was mid level.

around 3 years in, they came up with this system, out of the blue, that there would be junior level 1,2 and 3, mid level 1,2 and 3 and so on.

Considering that I had been one of two animators on their most successful project by far, after that I was the sole animator on the updates
for that game for 2 years and every update was a huge moneymaker, I did a lot more than just animate as well, at one point I was deciding what
characters would go in the next update lol. AND just recently I had been made lead animator on a new project, with one other animator under me.

I was 100% sure I would be made Mid Level 2, maaaaaybe 3 at a stretch, but I didn't mind.
They gave out letters to everyone showing what level you would be.
I was Mid Level 1.

I was completely blindsided by it, it made zero sense to me. There were others who were mid level 2-3 and had been there less time/been less valuable to
their success. I went to see my department head, and he said "Think of it as "Mid level 1.9999"" and he said it was a stupid system devised by HR, no one liked it
but we all had to live with it. He said he could push for me to be level 2 if I did this extra training and carried on showing I could lead the animation on the
new project. Next performance review came around, no mid level 2 for me. I don't even remember what the excuse was, some BS.

Pretty much, the studio shut down because of head office tomfoolery after 5 years, I worked as lead animator on a project for 2 years (which was cancelled when
it all shut down), and I left the place as Mid Level 1.

Thankfully, other companies don't give a crap what the last place did, but it still felt like a weird personal jab for no reason.

Update: This did not happen and it was caused by a trouble maker
OP
OP
Carnby

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I had the meeting and asked why. I found out it was not entirely true and the person who told me this was wrong. Basically they are a trouble maker. While the other person did get a new job, it was not at all the job I was told.

Let this be a lesson to everyone. Don't believe uniformed gossip (it's the devil's phone, best to hang up) and go into every meeting level headed, otherwise it could back fire.

Thanks again everyone for your advice!

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Glad it worked out OP. I was once offered a promotion by the CEO of my company during a holiday party. Super informal "hey you have been here for a while, you would be perfect for this opening." Cool beans, only that the next business day another director threw a shit fit because he didn't want me to be on his team, so instead I got a "sorry this was offered prematurely."

Never believe anything from a company unless it is in writing, and even then, make sure you read carefully.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Jobs that have a lot of promotion positions end up having a lot of back stabbing competition and somebody always ends up pissed off.

If a position has clear qualification requirements, like education, and there's no way the position can be filled by unqualified people, then it's a lot clearer to everybody where they stand.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Been promised positions in the past and told to stay the course. I have learned that these are normally empty promises. I then take my value and find something better elsewhere.

I do see your update. I guess my advice in the future is don't buy into it. Just keep doing a good job and things will come together when they are real. If you're being promised a dream remember that it usually is ethereal.