• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
So this is a problem that we're going to have to deal with more and more moving forward.

There are going to be more Bill Cosbys.
There are going to be more Louis CKs.
There are going to be more JK Rowlings.
There are going to be more Jontrons.
There are going to be more Reuben Langdons.
There are also going to be more Chris Pratts.

It's fucked to say that there's a "scale" but obviously all of the people above aren't in the same category.
We also have to remember that everyone has their own boundaries and we need to respect that.

That being said, how do we set our own boundaries when it comes to entertainment that we love?

We're also going to start seeing more entertainers that don't share the views or approve the behaviors of an individual that still insist on defending them, either because they don't understand the magnitude of the situation or because they're blinded by a friendship and their own experiences. I think that's going to be a tougher one to reconcile moving forward.

I say that it's fucked up to create a scale but I think that I have one, subconsciously.

For example:

- I cannot listen to R. Kelly or Michael Jackson anymore. I cannot dissociate their alleged behavior with the music.
- A lot of people can laugh at and enjoy JonTron. He came out as a white supremacist, talked about immigrants diluting the gene pool, cited fake black on white crime stats and then in his "apology", doubled down on those views and stood by them. I can't do it. I was a huge fan but I can't touch content with him and it's eye-roll inducing to see people memeing him.
- I was following the Vic Mignogna chaos (as hard as it is to follow) for a while and the more I learned about his behavior, the harder it is to hear his voice in stuff.
- My interest in Harry Potter is dead. I respect those that can hold their love for that world while separating JK Rowling but I can't do it.
- My interest in The IT Crowd is gone. It was one of my favorite sitcoms but the creator is a single-issue man and his single issue is hating trans people with a loud passion.

I think there should always be a limit and you should respect your own boundaries.

But I also notice a lot of people kind of saying "fuck it" on this thread on certain things. A lot of DMCV fans here, which yeah I get, but people that want Dante in Smash with Reuben voicing him. I don't want that. I have a hard time seperating Dante's voice with the way that Reuben Langdon has been using his platform.

What's your limit?

What are the points that you say "this shitty person is involved but a lot of people worked on this and I still love it, I'm still going to enjoy it"?

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't feel right watching them.

I remember howling at Jontrons older videos years back but fuck me, I feel horrible if I try to watch any of them now knowing that dude is a full blown nazi. Such was also the case with Louis CK as he was one of my favorite standup comics and his show on FX was art, but their shitty behavior makes it impossible for me to enjoy it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I can separate art from the artist (I study Lovecraftian horror, and Lovecraft is one of fiction's most notorious and outspoken ultra-racists), but it only extends so far. If I'm viewing something for historical or artistic context, or to better understand a time period or a style of writing/performance, I can kind of switch the defense walls off.

But I don't need to expose myself to or support problematic people for the purposes of my entertainment. There's too much entertainment out there in the world for me to need to waste my limited time supporting racists, rapists and homophobes.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Unless it's something really really bad I disconnect the product from a singular person that may have worked on it.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Honestly this is a grey area for me. It really depends on the crime.

Like I won't watch a Roman Polanski movie (Due to Rape).

But I have no issues with Chris Pratt's output.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'm fine with consuming almost anything as long as I'm avoiding giving those shitty people profit as much as possible. Kevin Spacey isn't making money off of any of his movies being streamed, Michael Jackson is dead, etc. Singular content creators though I have an easier time dropping; unless NakeyJakey renounces his friendship with JonTron I'll never watch his videos again.

Some things are out of your control too. Like I already bought the Smash Fighters Pass so if Dante gets added with Reuben Langdon I can't opt out of that. (Plus Reuben is already in the game...)

wvan13

Oct 25, 2017
Author of the Dune series, Frank Herbert, had a lot of issues. I get by those by those because he's long dead. If he was still around and being a shit I'd probably have a harder time.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am happy that their works inspired me in some way shape or form. But I have plenty of other media that I can enjoy instead now. Even stuff that was influential to me or helped me through a hard time. It served it's purpose, would I prefer if I didn't have to rid myself of it? Yeah, it sucks, things can mean a lot to people.

But at the end of the day, I want to stand by the victims of sexual assault, I want to stand by the trans community, I want to stand by all the people who are hurt/betrayed in any way shape or form by these people. This is the REAL WORLD. I can live if I can't support, watch, read or play something ever again. I can live with myself and go to sleep knowing that I support real people with real feelings, over a stupid game I really like.

I cannot separate the art from the artist. Look in the case of Kenshin, for example. You're enjoying and supporting a story that came from the same mind that also abuses children. In JK Rowling, it's from the same mind that has shitty feelings towards and hurts trans people.

And yeah, it's a lot easier when it's a singular creator. Or if it's a group/company/team when there is a talent being ousted for vile shit, but they do nothing to remove them from the project or denounce them and their shit opinions, whatever they may be.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
It honestly depends on the person and on the art. Bill Cosby Himself is one of the greatest stand up comedic acts of all time (or, was) and my family would constantly reference various parts of that when I was growing up, but ever since those accusations came out, any time there's an instinctual reference to it that anyone makes, at least one person remarks "Goddamnit, why did he have to be such a shitty person" because it's hard to separate the once comedic reference from the shitstain who made it. So I feel like it's a matter of how engrained the person is with the art, as well as how much my consuming said art affects the shitty artist. JK Rowling has killed Harry Potter, so I won't be able to enjoy that game or be willing to support that, but watching a movie with Kevin Spacey (particularly when he's the villain) is easier because I am not directly supporting Kevin Spacey.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Occasionally it helps to remind yourself that many of the endeavors you enjoy are collaborative efforts. Just because someone involved in a project is bad doesn't mean that everyone involved is, though I do tend to side eye people who are willing to work with terrible people after the terribleness has come out.

OP
OP
HustleBun

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I just don't feel right watching them.

I remember howling at Jontrons older videos years back but fuck me, I feel horrible if I try to watch any of them now knowing that dude is a full blown nazi. Such was also the case with Louis CK as he was one of my favorite standup comics and his show on FX was art, but their shitty behavior makes it impossible for me to enjoy it.
Yeah, absolutely.

The Louis CK one hurt too. There was a long path to recovery for him if he wanted it but he couldn't stay away from comedy, the alt-right embraced him and he embraced them right back. Fuck him.

Singular content creators though I have an easier time dropping; unless NakeyJakey renounces his friendship with JonTron I'll never watch his videos again.
Yeah the "guilt by association" part of this conversation is more challenging.

There are a lot of YouTubers still close to JonTron and as far as I know, he's still a textbook racist. NakeyJakey is close with him, Jirard has remained close with him, as are many others. So what gives? Has JonTron grown out of those views? Or do his friends just not give a fuck?

I unsubbed from Jirard after I learned how close he is with Jon.

If we learn anything new, I'd be happy to go back. I always liked Jirard and seemed like a good human. But brushing off outright Nazism isn't something I'm cool with.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
If the creator is profiting from my support or has a platform which they use to spread their bigotry then I drop them completely when discovering that they're problematic. Otherwise, it's separating the art from the artist with dead people on a case-to-case basis.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Depends how shitty and depends how connected I am to the product. Like you I cannot listen to MJ at all anymore. I had a passing interest in reading Harry Potter someday and now I certainly won't. At the same time I still enjoy watching Father Ted. Maybe because I think moreso of the performances rather than the writing.

Oct 27, 2017
I personally believe in the separation of art and artist, although it varies and I appreciate people will get different mileage on that.

Fucking YouTubers though.. really? The idea of continuing to watch some kids video game chat after he outs himself as a massive racist is a bit much.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
I think it varies.
I hate Orson Scott Card and won't touch his books...but I'm not going to drop Monkey Island over it because his contribution there was much smaller.
On the other hand, I've more recently had a lot of my favorite Achievement Hunter series permanently ruined, and though the offending party is gone, I have difficulty going back to their content. I think it's worse for internet content like them and Jontron, though, because you feel a strange sort of closeness with the people involved - a feeling that is often actively cultivated - while with video games or movies or even books (less so here, but not actually seeing or really interacting with the author still makes it more true), it feels like there's more of a separation.

I don't think there's a perfect answer for this, but as time goes by it does get easier to just drop things because there's SO MUCH MEDIA being created now. You couldn't possibly consume it all if you tried, so there's always another book, another game, another channel to turn to instead.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
It really depends on a lot of things - how central they are to the project, the proximity to their personal life and so on.

MJ is such a monolith that I can't hear his music without thinking about what he probably did. Lostprophets on the other hand? I barely know anything about Ian Watkins pre-accusations and I can still appreciate the music as the collaboration of an entire band. I don't really associate his voice as *the music*, so to speak.

I can still watch Kevin Spacey films though I will be giving American Beauty a wide berth for a while because of its themes. I wouldn't have any problem at all watching something like Se7en or Glengarry Glenn Ross where he's part of a wider ensemble.

Something like Louie is basically ruined for me because it's clear that Louis CK is so much his character and a lot of the on-the-edge jokes were rooted in more reality than we ever really expected. So I don't think I'll ever watch that again.

It's tricky and I'm sure there will be contradictions in how I deal with problematic celebrities - Mel Gibson's a POS but I still enjoy most of his movies - but again it just depends on a lot of factors.

All in all I just try to make sure I'm not giving money to terrible people; I won't pay directly to watch another Spacey film again. I'll either rely on home video, a streaming sub I'm already subbed to, or other means.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Depends on the scope of their involvement and the depth of their depravity. Mel Gibson, Louis CK, Kevin Spacey and Bill Cosby are gone to me at this point. I won't watch anything created or starring them.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Tbh I have no rule of thumb on this. It's completely case by case for me. Nothing more scientific than, "Does watching/listening to/reading this invoke the artist to such an uncomfortable degree that I have to stop?" Bill Cosby and Louis CK' behavior are not equal levels of heinous, yet they're so front and center in their shows or standup that it's impossible for me to look past and otherwise enjoy the thing they made. Then you have someone like Tom Cruise, who is the Christ figure for an evil and dangerous cult - how does that compare to sexual assault or harassment? It must not hit the same because I don't get those same pangs watching a Mission Impossible that I would watching a Louie. Maybe because who Cruise is as a person is not a factor at all in those movies? I have no idea. But it's something like a suspension of disbelief -- depending on the art, the artist involved, and that artist's transgression, you can create some level of separation, but it's not infinite and it's not universally applied. Totally ymmv.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can only separate the art from the artist for dead people.
But for people who are seeing the same world as I do, and choose to be assholes? Good news, there's a ton of artists out there who don't do what they do, so I move on.

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
Rosario Dawson being cast as Ahsoka in Mandalorian is tough for me. Ahsoka is probably my favorite Star Wars character and I'm excited to see her in live action but Rosario has been acccused of some shit against their trans handyman. My attachment is to the character though and not the actor. Fortunately, Rosario isn't the creator of the character otherwise it would be a bigger issue. So for now, I'll call out Rosario's bullshit while watching the show.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feel free to separate the art from the artist, as long as you realize that this doesn't prevent them from separating the money from your wallet

Oct 26, 2017
At some point there has to be a reasonable line drawn. Like, if you think all republicans are evil or support evil - guess what, everything you consume is 99% likely to have republicans involved in the production. It's not helpful for anyone to even keep track of that shit, you're only hurting yourself.

But for solo or mostly solo stuff like books and Youtube and some indie games where there's a closer connection to the creator, I would find it very hard to support some of the real assholes. And especially for Kickstarter things where the entire point is supporting someone directly.

But when it comes to things like voice actors being assholes, I won't ever boycott Street Fighter for having Langdon or that other actress in it, even though I'd hope that Capcom would eventually drop them for the next game. And the guilty by association thing and "not actively speaking out against" thing is extremely tricky, as people and business are complicated. Like, chinese artists not speaking out against China's atrocities is disappointing, but it's also a fact that people literally get disappeared for such things so it's not really fair to point fingers when you're sitting safely in a country with free speech.

Oct 27, 2017
Well, Michael Jackson is dead and too ingrained in popular culture to effectively avoid his work. His music is catchy but I don't think I've ever thought 'man I really need to listen to Beat it for the nth time in my life'. I don't care about Harry Potter at all so whatever.

IMO if you're not putting your money/time where your mouth is, the political grandstanding of not consuming media is pointless. At least for me, not buying from JK Rowling isnt actually fighting transphobia. Volunteering and donating to pro LGBT causes is.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will still enjoy the old stuff but not purchase the new. Like Potter. Won't let her ruin the old books and films but I won't be seeing her new stuff

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
If they're authors, writers, directors etc like Jk Rowling I feel it's a step removed so can carry on enjoying existing works but not bother with any new IP by them.

If it's unavoidable like Gary Glitter asking if I want to be in his gang I'll say nope and avoid it. Just looking at a pic of Jimmy Saville is repulsive. I doubt I'll ever watch Baby Driver again.

Most things are a sliding scale, is their involement and "crime" something I can put to the back of my mind. If it's a literal crime have they paid for it, are they genuinely sorry and can I forgive it? How big is that person's role? I'm not going to boycott a movie because a supporting character voted Trump. Sometimes I'm hypocritical like with MJ. Other times an actor doing adverts for a company I hate is enough to turn me away.

The hardest thing for me is WWE. Wrestling will always be scuzzy and I made peace with that long ago but Vince McMahon is past the stage I can overlook things. His actions this year alone with the way he treated his independent contractors is enough that I don't want to give him another penny, it just feels dirty to support him anyway knowing the working conditions. However at the moment that's easy, it's mostly terrible and there's strong competition. I don't know how my resolve would be if things improved.

So yeah a hypocritical sliding scale. I'll always be sympathetic of others who feel differently though, everyone has a limited amount of fucks to give and what they're directed against will differ. Especially those in the tricky situation of wanting to see the best in a friend.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
It's easier when they are long dead for sure. I read At the Mountains of Madness without thinking too much about Lovecraft's absolute shittiness.

Rape or murder and the creation being intimately tied to the creator, like Bill Cosby with the Cosby Show is definitely a no go though. Same for if it's something super recent.

If it's someone who is a small part of a larger thing and they are a conservative shithead it's certainly a grey area where everyone is gonna have a different line in the sand. 70+ million Americans voted for Trump, chances are one of them is involved in something (possibly most things) you love. The actor who voices Ratchet being dumpstertrash probably isn't gonna stop me playing Rift Apart, but I would totally be in favour of a recast for sure.

Voting and supporting causes both vocally and financially when able is the best tactic against these people and companies with shitty views on human rights issues. Make the shitty views marginalized.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I judge by either how embedded the offending creator/creative is in the work i.e. I have an easier time watching Chinatown than House of Cards because in the case of the latter the offender is present in 90% of the creation & if the offender will benefit financially if I support the creation with money i.e. I can rationalize buying a Lovecraft omnibus than a Harry Potter omnibus or basically any HP product.

Like has been said above, problematic media is nearly unavoidable but the scales are tipped when you at least acknowledge that those problems exist & otherwise actually lift up the marginalized, victimized, or oppressed and their voices not just through what you consume but beyond from voting to how you act & what you show support for or give generously too.

There are plenty of people who consume media uncritically and fervently defend the creators of the thing they love as infallible while choosing to stay socially & politically ignorant. As long as you're at least in the mindset of this topic, you're already on a much better track than them.

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
I thought about this, in relation to Picasso, after watching Hannah Gadsby's 'Nanette'

Edit: Aaaaand, I'm mostly missing the point :) Enjoyed laying out my thoughts anyway.

The conclusion I came to is that we shouldn't be afraid to pour scorn and disfavour on both the artist and their work. There's a scarcity mentality that kicks in when it comes to Great Works. My feeling is we should have the confidence to step to one side of the things we are collectively carrying around which are the product of what we should now be able to point to and label 'wrong thinking'.

Human creativity, ingenuity, and intellect have such high ceilings, relative to the norm. And the opportunities for fresh wonders are just sort of cascading over us. At the same time, there's no idea, or sentiment, that is either A) mostly unreplicable, or B) not prone to the predations of time anyway. You can't step in the same river twice; and while Great Works are marked by 'timelessness' and being able to return to them again and again ... ultimately their effect on human consciousness as a whole will inevitably dwindle anyway.

It depends a lot on what we relate to most strongly of course. Art is a bad example for me, and music would be much better. Could I really call the 9th Synphony replaceable? ... It's genuinely tough, I do acknowledge that. I'll listen to and sympathise with those who disagree, or who would say I'm arguing to rob others of experiences I've been able to enjoy. Fair point. I just worry for our lack of courage, for our lack of faith in ourselves, and for our being beholden to ephemera.

Human nature itself should be our first concern, I would maintain. And where it is found wanting, my feeling is we should apply antiseptic, dress the wound, cauterise in spite of the pain. That argument is easily manipulable of course. I don't mean 'purge', I only mean put down, in dismay, and gradually leave behind. And this is also low on the list of priorities while we breathe the same air as, for example, child soldiers.

Last edited:

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
I tend not to give them any money where I can, MJ's dead obviously, if I ever buy Cyberpunk or Hogwarts I'll only get it second hand.Done with Louis CK though.

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can still enjoy their works, but that doesn't mean I'll keep giving them money.
I have no problem saying that I've loved Harry Potter as a kid and still look to the books with nostalgia, while also saying that Rowling is a monster and I won't give her even a cent more.

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on how involved they are in the content. Louis CK For example, I can watch Parks and Rec and Home Movies because he's a minor character and not indicative of the show's success. However, I'm not watching Louie or his stand ups.

Rowling? Fuck anything she touches.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Unfortunately I think my principles aren't strong enough to ignore the work of people I consider to be legitimate geniuses, but who I also know are / were either probably or unambiguously bad people. It's easily done with creators whose work I find just "good," but much harder with the sui generis types.

Woody Allen is a good example. An actively repellent person and more than likely a sexual predator who groomed a minor in his care. Also the author of Without Feathers, which is a work of absolutely singular comic brilliance that I can't imagine forcing myself to never read again.

Francis Bacon is another. An apparently callous alcoholic who played a pretty major role in his lover killing himself, he also painted several triptychs that I consider to be among the best, most moving things I've ever laid eyes on.

Feb 16, 2018
i don't need to like everything about something or agree with views inside what i consume to enjoy it

i see a lot of people bounce off media because the fictional characters do bad things or the creator is normalizing bad behavior through their creations, but i don't look at any of this fiction as a manual for how to behave or how society should be structured, so that particular objection doesn't prevent me from enjoying stuff

i only think about it if it involves purchasing something and financially supporting evil persons

it's pretty easy to skip some movie / book / tv-show because the value over replacement is basically non-existent (unless you're talking about the absolute top tier of literature)

the situation with games is tougher, particularly for genres that don't end up being mainstream console games. you can skip some action/adventure or action/rpg, but imagine telling someone to skip starcraft 2. i don't even like starcraft 2, but the value above replacement for that game is insanely high

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
When it came to my attention that the Eddings were arrested and imprisoned for (physical) child abuse it pretty much shattered me. The Belgariad was/is one of my favourite children's fantasy series. I struggle to understand how two horrible parents wrote something so aimed at children later in they're lives. And that's the thing, the Belgariad was written at least 10 years after they came out of prison. We're they rehabilitated? Does it matter? I don't know. I still have the books on my shelf, I still quote the books to myself in occasion. But I can't bring myself to read them ever again nor toss the books away. I don't know.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Depends on the media that's being consumed. If the personality is the product, I stop giving them my time. If it's a product that involves multiple people yet features the problematic person, I seperate art from the artist.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Depends on the media that's being consumed. If the personality is the product, I stop giving them my time. If it's a product that involves multiple people yet features the problematic person, I seperate art from the artist.
That's about me too. It's easier for me to watch a film knowing there's a lot of people working on it, while in contrast music (which likely does have a few people) is a much more personalized singular person which makes me not listen to them anymore. Kind of same thing with books.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Depends, with some cases I can separate it enough from a performer (Unless they were the lead) but if it was a writer/artist/producer/etc it's a lot more difficult.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a hard problem with no great answer since so many people are involved in such a production despite the problematic person being in it or not. Generally I try to steer clear of smaller productions with problematic individuals and movies largely helmed by such individuals, haven't seen most of Roman Polanski's output due to this since he benefits from me watching it.

In terms of the art itself i have no problem being honest, Roman Polanski is a phenomenal director, but at the same time I will also spend the time calling out his bullshit if he's being debated. It's easier coming back to earlier works if there has been some punishment like with Harvey Weinstein and to a degree actors like Kevin Spacey whose entire career jumped off a mountain once the allegations came out and were verified.

Music, books and other pieces of art involving much fewer people I have no problem just ignoring on the spot.

Things like problematic working conditions for productions like Life of Pi and Sausage Party also makes me furious to no extent since it's a situation where no one involved except a few individuals benefit from their hard work (yes, not everyone is paid great, but those productions are especially predatory).

Also, fuck J. K. Rowling.

Iggelich

Aug 31, 2019
For me it's easier to separate the artist from the work if the artist is long dead. For someone still living and profiting from my consumption, it's different. It also depends on how big a part they played in the creation of a work, and what it was that they did.

Reversed

Oct 25, 2017
It might give a hindsight on how their performed works are (like Lovecraft), and I may done this with great pains, but my decisions on quitting reside mostly not on their actions but on the subject(s) at hand.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
If it's a singular artist like R. Kelly then it's easy for me to throw em away. But it's tougher for me to just throw away an entire movie because a producer was a piece of shit. It's just kind of a gut thing that's hard to explain. I don't have a hard/fast rule.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
It depends upon what the show/book/film/game is, who said problem celebrity is, and what their problem was. It's not some simple formula, it's truly a gut check based upon all those factors.

Two personal examples, the va of Tidus being outted as a scumbag doesn't phase me since I don't really associate who that voice actor is with the character he played. Inversley I can't watch the Cosby show anymore because I've heard the stories and now the glances and motions chill me and take me out of the experience.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I love and studied classic literature, so kinda hard to find someone who wasn't an asshole in some way.

I just avoid giving money to shitty people that are still alive.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Case by case basis for me I think

I'd probably find it hard to read Harry Potter at the moment, even though I have incredibly fond memories of them. I re-read the first two a few years back and adored them still, but her recent negative press has turned me off.

But then I could probably quite happily listen to The Smiths even though Morrissey has turned into a far right provocateur.

I think it's also easier to reconcile if the artist/author is from long ago - e.g. Lovecraft

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I just assume every TV show, movie, and video game has some shitty person that worked on it. You figure, at least half of Americans are complete pieces of shit, so if you have somewhere between 50 and 500 people working on an American project, it's pretty much an impossibility that at least one of them isn't a horrible person. So, basically, I try to not to let it dictate my enjoyment.

Now, if we're talking about a musician like Kanye West, or an author like JK Rowling, you just avoid their stuff. I get that there are more people than just Kanye that work on his albums, but he credits himself as the main/lead musician/producer/writer, so I don't really give a shit about the other "decent" people involved with HIS projects....now if there's another rapper who I'm into who Kanye is just on their track for a verse or, not involved in the production overall, and not getting a cut of the revenue from the track...I don't have a problem listening to it, though I'll probably enjoy it less based on his involvement.

Basically it comes down to; did hundreds of people work on this, or is the primarily the work of one shitty person (or that one shitty person and a small handful of others)? Again, if it's dozens, or hundreds of people, one individuals involvement isn't going to overly sway me on the work, unless it really reflects their shitty views, or pushes some awful agenda.

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
I don't really have much of a problem enjoying things with/from shitty people tbh.

I have more of a problem and get more annoyed with the things the person/people did when the hardcore fans refuse to admit fault or anything. Like, if you really enjoy something someone made and want to carry on enjoying it then that's cool, carry on, but don't refuse to admit the shitty things or understand why someone doesn't want to enjoy something just to make yourself feel better.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
If the person is still living, has a notable impact/top billing on the product, and has an extensive history with bigotry or refuses to apologize for the offensive behavior, then I stop engaging with the product.

I am am advocate for not basing significant amounts of self-worth in your consumption habits and fandoms. On top of that, we live in a globally connected world where you can find exciting works from creators of all walks of life; entertainment is a cheap commodity.

I'm not beholden or duty-bound to my favorite creators; rather, I believe there are ethics to consider when you are famous, and you owe it to your audience to maintain a respectful space. I'll drop a bigot in a heartbeat, and move on to something better.