• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

title

• Physical Books

Votes: 375 51.7%
  • Tablet

Votes: 118 16.3%
  • Phone

Votes: 122 16.8%
  • Computer

Votes: 37 5.1%
  • eReader

Votes: 334 46.1%
  • Audiobooks

Votes: 140 19.3%
  • idk, some other thing I didn't think of

Votes: 4 0.6%

• Total voters

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I still read physical books I already own and occasionally buy nice hardbacks of classics I will love forever, but I'm primarily a Kindle Paperwhite boy now, augmented by my phone for convenience.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I find it interesting how many don't understand Eink technology. It uses actual pigment. It's not illuminated pixels that constantly refresh. The electrically charged particles in Eink are suspended in micro capsules. Depending on the positive or negative charge a type of pigment is moved to the top of the capsule, fully stabilized, with no refreshing done until forced by the user. It appears so much like paper because it utilizes the same pigments used in the printing industry.

So if the main thing keeping you from digital books is you don't want to stare at a screen, then Eink ereaders may be for you.

If you want to build a huge collection of ebooks, you can use something like EreaderIQ to alert you of cheap prices, or at sites like StoryBundle that offer collections of books for $5-$20 dollars. Public Domain books are free if all you want is classics. Standardebooks.org does a good job of presenting these free classics.

No way my To Be Read pile would be as huge as it is if I only stuck to paper books. I wouldn't have the room in my house.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I use moon reader on my phone/kindle fire.

I tend have a couple books going at a time, and I would never lug a book around let alone a few.

I do most of my reading at night and around other people. I'm sure book light tech as has significant leaps since the 90's when I tried using them, but if I can't be bothered with a book I'm not going to be adding more knickknacks to the mix. Especially when we have the technology.

OP
OP
Stowaway Silfer

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I find it interesting how many don't understand Eink technology. It uses actual pigment. It's not illuminated pixels that constantly refresh. The electrically charged particles in Eink are suspended in micro capsules. Depending on the positive or negative charge a type of pigment is moved to the top of the capsule, fully stabilized, with no refreshing done until forced by the user. It appears so much like paper because it utilizes the same pigments used in the printing industry.

So if the main thing keeping you from digital books is you don't want to stare at a screen, then Eink ereaders may be for you.

If you want to build a huge collection of ebooks, you can use something like EreaderIQ to alert you of cheap prices, or at sites like StoryBundle that offer collections of books for $5-$20 dollars. Public Domain books are free if all you want is classics. Standardebooks.org does a good job of presenting these free classics.

No way my To Be Read pile would be as huge as it is if I only stuck to paper books. I wouldn't have the room in my house.
Interesting stuff

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mix of physical and my ipad/phone. I've been interested in getting an ebook for a while now but always hesitate when it's time to buy it. I've looked into a kindle paper white but got (maybe irrationally) mad because it has ads, and why I need to pay extra for no ads.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Phone. I think the last time I read a physical novel was like... a decade ago.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Audiobooks at work.

My brain only likes to multitask. Reading a book at home just doesn't work for me.

Muetsch

Oct 27, 2017
All of the options except Computer

It really depends on where I am and what I'm reading. Super light reading I usually do on my phone or tablet.

For commutes an eReader.

While grinding some stupid game audiobooks.

For series I'm really into physical.

Or I just mix them up cause I found a cheap physical book, am on vacation, went to the library. Doesn't matter honestly. All the options are equally valid and awesome

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
Mix of using my Kndle and picking up physical books at my local library

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Due to the pandemic shutting down interlibrary loan services for so long, I got hooked on archive.org and haven't gone back.

Voidance

Oct 27, 2017
iPad, Kindle, and audiobook for me. Never been a fan of physical books, even when I was younger. Unfortunately, I don't read much nowadays but it's something I'd like to get back into my routine.

Small Red Boy

▲ Legend ▲
May 9, 2019
I try to reduce my phone use so I avoid using it to read when possible. Also the screen can be tiring. So I just read physical or with my eReader. Trying to mix and match because in the end I like physical more but ebook is more convinient.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Kindle or physical, mostly latter these days

Phone, never, too distracting and the text is too small, screen too bright, worst way imo

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Primarily the LIbby app on my phone. If you don't have a library card and the libby app... what are you doing. WHAT ARE YOU DOING? Library books and audio books on your phone, its phenomenal. Hell you can even choose to read the library books on your kindle, go nuts.

Some stuff I read physical still, kinda depends.

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
50/50 between physical and e-reader.
That's where I'm at also. Pretty much equal amounts physical books and kindle. The kindle is a lifesaver when traveling or for reading at night. But real books are just so nice to read from. Unless it's a very large book, then I'll use kindle just save space an inconvenience of carrying it around.

Primarily the LIbby app on my phone. If you don't have a library card and the libby app... what are you doing. WHAT ARE YOU DOING? Library books and audio books on your phone, its phenomenal. Hell you can even choose to read the library books on your kindle, go nuts.

Some stuff I read physical still, kinda depends.
Absolutely. I should've said above that I've never purchased a book for my kindle. It's 90% library books and 10% Gutenberg project downloads for classics. If it wasn't for library loans I wouldn't use my kindle much at all. It's amazing that if I finish a book on the bus I can hook my kindle to my phone's hotspot and download a new library book in seconds.

SoneaB

Oct 18, 2020
UK
I still read physical books and books on kindle/tablet but most of my reading these days is via audio books when I'm working or out walking.

Raboon

Oct 30, 2017
I used to be physical only up until I discovered Nick Podehl, holy cow what a great narrator. I'm like 99% audiobook now.

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I enjoy using my kindle for ease of use, portability (weight), and night light. But, paper books are more preferred when reading more studious texts such as the Iliad and Odyssey. Bigger pages, better formatting, easier to highlight and flip through footnotes, and the visibility and clarity of paper (Which is still true of all paper books vs eink).

I also use audio when I am just lounging in bed and sleeping on and off. I memorize sections this way and can pick up where the book is whenever I wake up. Sometimes I combine the audiobook with the iPad also.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
That's where I'm at also. Pretty much equal amounts physical books and kindle. The kindle is a lifesaver when traveling or for reading at night. But real books are just so nice to read from. Unless it's a very large book, then I'll use kindle just save space an inconvenience of carrying it around.

Absolutely. I should've said above that I've never purchased a book for my kindle. It's 90% library books and 10% Gutenberg project downloads for classics. If it wasn't for library loans I wouldn't use my kindle much at all. It's amazing that if I finish a book on the bus I can hook my kindle to my phone's hotspot and download a new library book in seconds.

It really is incredible. Libraries are amazing and now that they are digital its a true game changer. I literally want to run around screaming about how amazing it is. I've saved so much money with that alone.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Kinda surprised by how many people have dedicated eReaders instead of reading on other devices. I might look into those.

on top of the E Ink stuff others have mentioned personally speaking it's also just helpful to have a dedicated device for attention span reasons, it's too easy to swap to other things on a phone or whatever

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Physical or audio. Already stare into enough screens and ebooks are so easy to randomly buy. Which sounds good, but you can get in the habit of just having tons of them and forgetting. Real books, nah, you gotta stare at those fuckers all over your house 😂

So I'm more likely to read them. Plus I enjoy seeing my progress.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I am typically reading one physical book and two Kindle books at all times. Kindle books are either on my iPad Pro or my phone depending on the situation.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Physical, if only because I'm a digital artist who also loved video games. Meaning for my work and most of my leisure time I'm already staring at a screen - so physical books offer a nice break from that.

syncyes

Oct 27, 2017
eBooks with my laptop since it's convenient for reading laying down in bed etc. Then if I enjoy the book enough I buy it physically for my collection.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I do not have the money or space for physical books, as much as I would like to have them.

e-ink displays are something that I love the idea of, but not the execution.
If I did a lot of reading outdoors - or perhaps traveled a lot - it would be great to have one.
But I have bought several Kindles now (Kindle 4, Paperwhite 2, and Paperwhite Signature) and never stuck with them.

For me, they just don't have enough contrast/sharpness, and I don't like how the Kindle in particular handles formatting (though it has improved).
In anything less than direct light, the page is duller than a cheap mass-market paperback.
I find that I need to turn up the front-light more than I'd like to comfortably read in the dark (which also makes the screen look hazy/milky), and I struggle to read them when I don't have my glasses on (a mild prescription).
It doesn't help that Kindle's library integration is (I believe) US-only. Or at least, it's not available here.

So I do most of my reading on an iPad now (set to automatically enable Do Not Disturb mode in those apps).
Text is very clear and sharp on them - so I can read without needing to have my glasses on in bed.
At night, I can use the screen filter to display red text on a black background, with the backlight turned all the way down - which is legible at far dimmer levels than a Kindle (for me).
File/library management is a lot easier too, if you buy DRM-free books or read public domain works.
And I can read comics/manga on the same device as my books (audiobooks too - though I use my phone for those).

I don't listen to a lot of audio books - mostly however many I can get free from Amazon for signing up for a trial (3-4 a year?).
I find that I don't absorb/retain what is being said nearly as well as reading it, and it's easy to zone out or get distracted and then have to seek back and re-listen to whole sections over again.
I prefer to focus my attention to the task at hand, rather than split my attention - so I don't often find myself playing a game or doing other tasks/chores while listening to a book.

I totally get the notion of wanting to be away from screens, but so long as they are high-quality ones (like the iPads with laminated displays) I don't find it to make much of a difference.
Really, the issue for me is spending all day focusing on something close rather than allowing my eyes to relax, more than the screen itself.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
During COVID, I was reading a lot on my patio and really liked physical books. Now that I am out and about more, I like having everything on my phone because it's always with me.

I've read a dozen or so audiobooks, mostly while walking, but I find I enjoy podcasts a little more (mostly because they don't require my full attention).

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Kindle for booand manga, ipad for comic
Phot for books if in caught somewhere and only have my logging with me. Kindle app has been a godsend for that.

Been looking at those small ereaders that are like phone size to just keep in my bag as a just in case option.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I pretty much never have or never take the time to actually just sit down and read, but I do listen to audiobooks quite a lot as I do other things like go on walks with my dog, working out, or commuting on the train. Took a little time to get used to it and not get distracted and miss things, but I'm a pro at it now for the most part and is probably my preferred way. I really loved some of the production qualities some books have with some great narrators or even multi-narrative productions as well as other sound effects. It seems like a lot but when done well it's a great touch that can elevate the experience.

I've used tablets and e-readers, but for actual reading I still vastly prefer real books.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
Always physical. I have tried e-readers and audio books; I don't enjoy them at all. Nothing beats the progress of turning pages.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
At this point I'm all in on audiobooks when it comes to fiction. Hearing it bring it to lie life watching a movie, and I can multitask while staying completely engaged.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Physical books. Something about the physical aspect of turning a book and seeing one side get larger than the other as I make my through it motivates me to finish it more than just a digital representation of page numbers does.

I'll read ebooks, but physical books are by far my favorite.

Audiobooks aren't for me at all, they can't hold my attention.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
About 95% ebooks on my Paperwhite. I only ever buy physical books if I literally can't buy an ebook version. I read 2-4 novels/anthologies per month and that would be a ton of books taking up space.

Banshee

Oct 27, 2017
Missouri
Digital/Kindle. I'm cool with physical, and I actually kind of hit a crossroads a few years ago where I was either going to become a physical book collector, or start buying vinyl, and well... 85 records later, I think that's the only 'takes up all of my space' hobby I can allow myself. Tbh I don't read much at all, even if I should, but I do listen to music most days, so it's more fitting for me.

I should really try audiobooks sometime and see if it's more my speed. My brain has a lot of trouble focusing on a book these days. Maybe I'd love it.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Physical or audiobooks. I read physical books when I have the time, but Audiobooks have been great for multitasking during commutes, walks, and showers.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Kindle for the most part. I use audiobooks if I'm driving, flying, or doing some mundane tasks.

I do have physical books, but they are for collection purposes.

Oct 29, 2017
Physical books. I can't retain audiobook information, sadly. I get distracted while listening and have to rewind. With a physical book I'm less prone to distraction since I'm physically and mentally engaged with the book. I envy people who can listen to audiobooks and retain the story.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Mostly physical, sometimes kindle if the price difference is massive. I definitely prioritize physical though, I just think it's more satisfying.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
A mixture of physical and Kindle.

I've had a Kindle since the original DX, and they're incredibly convenient for travel and choice, but I also still buy paper books - and I have a big collection of them on display in my home office.

I'd never dream of taking a printed book out of the house nowadays, though. Paper is for reading in dedicated time in a big chair; Kindle is for bedtime, trains, flights etc.

HappyTask

Nov 5, 2017
Any format I can.

Well, except e-reader because I don't have that. And i still can't do audiobooks.