• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dtcm83

Oct 28, 2017
1. ...AJFA
2. Ride The Lightning
3. Master of Puppets
4. Black
5. Kill Em All
6. Garage Inc
7. Load
8. Death Magnetic
9. Hardwired
10. Reload
11. St Anger

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Can't rank them but MoP is the best

And St Anger is the worst. I think Lars recorded the drums for that album in a hotel bathroom with a cell phone microphone.

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
1. ...And Justice for All
2. Black Album
3. Master of Puppets
4. Ride the Lightning
5. Death Magnetic
6. Kill 'em All
7. Hardwired to Self Destruct
8. Reload
9. Load
10. St Anger

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
1. ...And Justice For All
2. Black
3. Master of Puppets
4. Ride the Lightning
5. Garage Inc
6. Kill Em All
7. Hardwired
8. Load
9. Death Magnetic
10. Reload
11. St. Anger

Syncro

Oct 27, 2017
1. ...And Justice For All
2. Master of Puppets
3. Ride the Lightning
4. Black
5. Kill Em All

T-Min

May 23, 2018
Tennessee
I haven't listened to a lot of them in a while but based on past experience:

1. Black Album
2. Ride the Lightning
3. Master of Puppets
4. ...And Justice for All
5. Load
6. ReLoad
7. Death Magnetic
8. St. Anger

I haven't really listened to Kill Em All enough to rank it in comparison with the rest, and I never bothered with Hardwired at all. The singles just haven't done anything for me at all.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Surprised that so many people don't have MoP as #1.

I mean, it's arguably the best album ever but we all have a right to be wrong.

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Kill 'em All has the best Thrash metal song of all time so that puts the album at the top.

The song in question is Whiplash

Oct 27, 2017
Just checking the thread to make sure St Anger is on the bottom of most lists.

Also, give Load another listen without directly comparing it to the glory days of the 80s. There are some quality songs on it.

Nov 7, 2017
Is the black album really considered so shitty to metallica fans? Or its just the most popular one so its not cool to like it?

arglebargle

Oct 26, 2017
1. Master of Puppets
2. Ride the Lightning
3. ...And Justice for All
4. Kill 'Em All
5. Black Album
6. Hardwired
7. Load/Reload
8. Garage Inc.
9. Death Magnetic
10. St Anger

This is how I would rank the top 5. Load and reload would definitely be below those. No idea about the others because I stopped listening to them after that.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Justice
2. Lightning
3. Puppets
4. Black
5. Death Magnetic
6. KEA
7. Hardwired
8. Reload
9. Load
10. St Anger

leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018
For me, it happens to coincide with the order I discovered/listened to them growing up:

Master of Puppets - first one I listened to and it will always be my favorite
Ride the Lightning
Kill em All
And Justice for All
Black
Load

Basically stopped listening to them after Load. They were moving to a rock/blues style, while my tastes were moving in the opposite direction towards more extreme metal.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Ride the Lightning > Master of Puppets > Justice >Black > Kill 'em All and that's all they ever released, right?

T-Min

May 23, 2018
Tennessee
Also, give Load another listen without directly comparing it to the glory days of the 80s. There are some quality songs on it.
I've kind of always thought this. King Nothing is a classic.

Is the black album really considered so shitty to metallica fans? Or its just the most popular one so its not cool to like it?
It kind of had a more "mainstream," accessible sound compared to their 80s material. I guess that turned off a lot of older fans, but there's a reason why it brought in a lot of newbies too.

Mixen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seems like my list is a little diferent from the rest of you :)

1. St:Anger
2. Master of puppets
3. Ride the lightning
4. Black album
5. Justice
6. Kill em all
7. Reload
8. Load
9. Hardwired...
10. Death magnetic

Nov 27, 2017
Master of Puppets
Ride the Lightning
Black Album
Kill 'Em All
Garage Inc.
Load
...And Justice For All
Hardwired...to Self-Destruct
Reload
Death Magnetic

St. Anger

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Mine.

Ride the Lightning
And Justice For All....
Master of Puppets

Kill 'Em All

Load/Reload

Hardwired....To Self Destruct
Death Magnetic

Metallica

St. Anger

Banana Aeon

Oct 30, 2017
Ride the Lightning
Master of Puppets
...And Justice for All
Kill em All
Black
Load
Death Magnetic
St. Anger
Hardwired
Reload

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
I'm probably gonna get so much shit for this, but...

1. Reload
The more bluesy, full-bodied Metallica sound speaks to me the most. No one writes a rock ballad quite like Hetfield et. al., and The Unforgiven II is a goddamn masterpiece and I dare say my favourite Metallica track.

2. Metallica / The Black Album
Really close second. An overall better selection of tracks than Reload.

3. Master of Puppets
My favourite out of the 80's stuff.

4. Load

5. Death Magnetic

6. Ride the Lightning

7. ...And Justice For All

8. Hardwired... to Self-Destruct

9. Kill 'Em All

10 (by far). St. Anger

If I were ranking based on songwriting alone, I'd probably be easier on St. Anger, but sonically it is straight up garbage.

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
And Justice for All
Master of Puppets
Ride the Lightning
Kill em all
Black album
The rest

Calm Killer

Oct 25, 2017
1. Master of Puppets
2. ...and Justice For All
3. Kill Em All
4. Ride the Lightning
5. Metallica
6. Hardwire....to Self Destruct
7. Garage Inc.
8. S&M
9. Death Magnetic
10. Reload
11. Load.
12. St. Anger

Hakai

Oct 27, 2017
1. Puppetz
2. Ride
3. Kill
4. Death Magnetic
5. Hardwired
6. Black
7. And Justice for All
8. St. Anger
9. Reload
10. Load

I'm not sure myself on this ranking but basically Load is the worse for me and the rest is pretty much awesome.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
1. Ride the Lightning
2. Master of Puppets
3. Kill 'Em All
4. ... And Justice for All
5. Death Magnetic
6. Hardwired
7. Metallica
8. Reload
9. Load
10. St. Anger

Gouty

Oct 25, 2017
Not going to bother with a list but I will say I think St. Anger is an interesting album. There are cool ideas, vocal harmonies and even a few good songs lurking somewhere in what is undeniably a messy album.

I love it when Metallica takes risks. They're a more daring and interesting band than their supposed fans will allow them to be.

Oct 27, 2017
That's what makes it so good, though. It's so raw and primal and energetic and full of youthful aggression.
I do get this, and it's a large part of the charm for that album. In my opinion, the sound is in a weird place for this album. I think it's "too raw", so to speak. I've really no idea how to convey what I mean exactly, but contrasting with Slayer and Megadeth's firsts, you might be able to see what I mean.
Slayer's Show No Mercy is clearly distinct from the Slayer 'sound' that started forming by Hell Awaits, but you can tell there's a method to the madness, so to speak. Megadeth, I think you can clearly see this is where a lot of Kill 'em All's sound comes from. Dave Mustaine seemed to know what he was going for with Megadeth from the start with Killing is My Business. Metallica, I think, didn't seem nearly as clued in to what they wanted sound wise. It certainly feels like that album was heavily weighted on Dave Mustaine's input, but err... there's obvious reasons for that.
I've no idea if that'll make any sense to anyone but me... Hopefully you know what I'm getting at.

I'd have to guess by this post that you'd probably rate all 3 of their first albums as top or very high of their respective discographies.
It is the epitome of mediocrity and watered-down pop-metal.
Eh, no real arguments there. I still liked the handful of songs enough to call it a decent album in my book.
Not going to bother with a list but I will say I think St. Anger is an interesting album. There are cool ideas, vocal harmonies and even a few good songs lurking somewhere in what is undeniably a messy album.

I love it when Metallica takes risks. They're a more daring and interesting band than their supposed fans will allow them to be.
Ok, I get this too, but... fuck that album :P
Seriously though, I agree with the sentiment. I think their most recent stuff backs you up in this regard, but St Anger came out when their heads were shoved so far up their collective asses it seeped through the album.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SS Tier: Kill 'Em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets

S Tier: ...And Justice for All
C Tier: Metallica
Error! Data not found

AJFA is really more A or even B Tier. It's pretty objectively a huge step down from the first 3. Like 5 of the tracks are worse than EVERYTHING that came before. The most overrated album, while still managing to be listenable with fleeting brilliance.

Last edited:

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
How is Sad But True, Don't Tread On Me, My Friend of Misery watered down pop metal?
Compared to their previous output, or to just about any other thrash metal album of the 80's or early 90's, that's exactly what it is. Radio-friendly, accessible, sterile and soulless. It doesn't mean it's bad (though, in this case, it's also bad, except for Wherever I May Roam), but the description is apt.

It's a hard rock album anyway
In other words... "watered down pop metal"? :)

Feb 15, 2018
Compared to their previous output, or to just about any other thrash metal album of the 80's or early 90's, that's exactly what it is. Radio-friendly, accessible, sterile and soulless. It doesn't mean it's bad (though, in this case, it's also bad, except for Wherever I May Roam), but the description is apt.

In other words... "watered down pop metal"? :)
Souless? You're just trolling now breh