• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How do you pronounce the word "bros" in Super Mario games?

• Brous

Votes: 117 5.2%
  • Brothers

Votes: 954 42.3%
  • Braus

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Broze (rhymes with froze)

Votes: 557 24.7%
  • Other [explain]

Votes: 31 1.4%
  • Bros (rhymes with floss)

Votes: 561 24.9%

• Total voters

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I assumed you were supposed to say "bro's". Like, were they running out of space on the box that they needed to abbreviate the name of the game ?

Anyway, in France we pronounce it "Mario Bross" because nobody knows bros is short for brothers (and even fewer would care even if they did), people just read the letters as they see them.

q4core

Feb 26, 2021
DMV
I'm an old man who was a kid when Super Mario Bros. came out on the NES, and Bros. was pronounced 'Brothers.'

Even though bro is a common term nowadays, I still have this biased image in my head of the first people I heard saying it which were like dumb surfer dudes.

"Hey bro, that was one gnarly spill you took there" -someone sounding like Michaelangelo from the original TMNT series lol

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I believe in the UK it is commonly pronounced "Bros" while in the States they say "B.R.O.S.".

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
People who disagree with me are objectively wrong and I'm gonna prove it by listing counterexamples from the most inconsistent language in the world.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I've always imagined that Americans who say say "Super Mario Bro's" probably also say "nezz" and "snezz" when talking about the NES and SNES.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Why can't a single person in this forum make a comprehensible poll?

It's brothers. Nintendo says brothers. If you're saying Bros or any alternative it's time to correct yourself

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Wow, surprised to learn more people here speak out the full "brothers" as opposed to rolling with "bros"

Less surprised that people are trying to argue either is incorrect lol

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Broze or Bruhz all day as far as Smash goes. Think the majority of my friends over the years have said broze/bruhz. Every now and then I'll say brothers but it's mostly broze. Most of us are black too so I'm a little curious.

A lot of gif energy up in here, it's not the serious.

Tempted to switch to smash bruv cause it sounds so good.

Last edited:

A_Jazzy_Book

Oct 27, 2017
I've said it as both "Broze" and "Brothers" interchangeably up to now, and will continue to do so.

No one made a peep about it because who the hell cares?

Melville85

Banned
Nov 15, 2020
The full stop/period at the end indicates that it is supposed to be pronounced 'brothers'. 'Bro' pluralised wouldn't have the full stop in a title as titles don't usually have full stops.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is the audible difference between bros and broze? Seems like you're dividing the same pronunciation into two options.

I say bros usually. Whatever has fewer syllables is usually the route I go. But I will say brothers sometimes as well.

syndicalist

Oct 25, 2017
both, but also i would wager that people just say Mario 1, Mario 2, Mario World, etc. so neither is uttered as often as we think

Jun 20, 2019
Does Luigi call Mario his "big bro"? Yes
Does Luigi ever say the word "brother"? No
Is "Bros" the plural form of "bro"? Yes

So I say "Bros".

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Many people have mentioned Broze and Bros in the poll are the same... But what is Brous? I suspect it might also be the same? Or maybe like Browse? Brews?
How are these different? Why do people refuse to use phonetic notation.

I say /broʊs/, whichever option that is.
Is this actually helpful to regular people? How many adults remember the proper pronunciation of ʊ? I looked it up and I'm even more confused. Looks like this is bro-oos.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Native English speakers showing their colors. Acting like people are complete idiots for not knowing an abbreviation that most people here first saw when they were kids who didn't know anything about the English language.
Yes, I know what "Bros." stands for but I didn't know it when I was a kid and got the game for Christmas. By the time I found out what it actually stands for the title of the game as I knew it back then has already been burned into my brain.

Now that we got this out of the way... can someone explaint to me why "Mr." has a "." behind it while Mrs doesn't even though it's also an abbreviation?

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Mostly brothers, rarely bross. Pretty sure it was called brothers in the German commercials too.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I know it's supposed to be Brothers but I say Bros cause it's faster/easier.

Well I don't think I've ever actually said the full title of the games outloud but how it reads in my head is Bros.

Jun 7, 2018
~5% of people pronounce it like "bruise"/"brews"?!
Or am I misunderstanding how "brous" is supposed to be said?
The main alternative pronunciation for "ou" (ow, like in "browse,) is already covered in the poll (I think?!) by "Braus", so I guess so?

I'm just waiting for the follow-up thread where 90% of people claim Mario says his own name wrong and that it's actually pronounced like "More Oreos", just without the space or the S...

Last edited:

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
The vast majority of the time I just never bother to add the brothers part anyway. As a kid it was alway just "Super Mario" or just Mario.

I could say the Bros. part interchangeably between broze and brothers, though this thread makes me want to say broze more just because it obviously pisses off language pendants who seem unreasonably upset that people dare say anything the none official way.

There are also times I can read it as bross too just because I remember the UK pop band of that name.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
What's the point of abbreviating Brothers as Bros.? Is not like you save a lot of letters.

I mean, I understand Mr. for Mister (it even looks more aesthetically pleasing), but Bros. for Brothers? Nah.
A comparable type of thing is Messieurs being abbreviated as Mssrs. Anyway, I don't personally care if someone says Bros instead. It's interchangeable. The concept of there being some other acceptable pronunciation for that is bizarre though, but I guess if you're a non-native speaker you wouldn't have grown up hearing bro all the time.