• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Well?

• 'Ket Shee'

Votes: 159 13.6%
  • 'Kate Sith'

Votes: 946 80.8%
  • Other and therefore objectively incorrect and irrelevant pronunciation

Votes: 66 5.6%

• Total voters

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Except Cait Sith is literally how it's spelt in Scottish Gaelic. Unless you think they should've gone with Cait Sidhe, which would've led to a whole other argument (CATE SID-HE???) XD
Ooh, I'm sorry. In my head, I was like "what if it's some old language and that's the correct transliteration? Nahhh."

Welp, it's definitely pronounced correctly, then! Haha

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Cait Sith is obviously confusing. The real issue is people who pronounce Yuffie like it rhymes with puffy. Shame on all of you.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Everyone I know pronounces it wrong: "Cat Sith".
tumblr_nm9m4r8OxI1r3nwrno1_1280.jpg

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
So it's more like Ket-lyn?
Cait is basically pronounced the same as cat. Caitlin when anglicised is Kathleen. Cat-leen. Depending on the dialect of Irish you speak, the t can be a ch sound.

Edit: holy shit I had to edit this 3 times because I forgot the word anglicised.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Growing up I always pronounced it "Kate Sith" but knowing it's "Ket Shee" I really do try to make sure I say it that way now.

Same for Tidus as "Teedus"

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I voted for other..
Because as a kid, I figured that looks like a cat up there, the " i" is silent and its " CAT-Sith".

So I was wrong all these years. 2 decades of being wrong.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Growing up I always pronounced it "Kate Sith" but knowing it's "Ket Shee" I really do try to make sure I say it that way now.

Same for Tidus as "Teedus"
I try to say Cait Sith correctly, it's more that I default to Kate Sith pretty easily if I'm just talking casually.

Teedus, however, I don't even try to pronounce the correct way. Call me a filthy casual or whatever, I'm just not pronouncing Tidus that way.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Always called him Kate Sith but now Hermione was another issue. I used to pronounce it Her-Mi-On and made me feel worse for her since they didn't even give her a chance. It was music to my ears when I heard the proper way I was surprised.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure most people know this but it's actually Irish. Once you know how it's pronounced it feels kind of rude to deliberately mispronounce it. I wouldn't go around mispronouncing Siobhan or Dun Laoghaire.

en.wikipedia.org

Cat-sìth - Wikipedia

Edit: Not just Irish, Scots Gaelic too.
If they don't want people to be rude they could adhere to the phonetic properties of the alphabet they are using.

>:(

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
It sucks that we'll have to wait until Episode 2 before we see what Cait Sith looks like in the Remakeverse. It's gonna be bizarre. Try picturing a cut scene where it and Barret are talking to each other or something. I hope they can pull it off.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I KNOW it's pronounced "Ket Shee", but I grew up calling him "Kate Sith", and that's still my mental default.

JinnAxel

Oct 30, 2017
Ah yes, Irish. Where the letters don't make the sounds you think they would.

Cat Sidhe -> Ket Seeh
Cu Chulainn -> Koo Cullen
Scathach -> Ska-hac
Fionn Mac Cumhaill -> Finn McCool
Medb -> Maeve
Diarmuid Ua Duibhne -> Diarmid O'Dyna

... I just realized why they gave Cait Sith an irish accent in Advent Children.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind complete redesign or removal of Cat Shit from remake.
No on likes him (don't lie).

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
This is literally the first time I've heard of Kat shee. Where does that come from and how does that pronunciation come from cait sith?

Edit: I see post#138. Interesting!