• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How do you pronounce SQL?

• ess-que-ell

Votes: 1,040 49.1%
  • sequel

Votes: 1,012 47.8%
  • SELECT Thor FROM The Dark World

Votes: 67 3.2%

• Total voters

B'z-chan

Oct 27, 2017
How it was taught to me: sequel
New kids on the block: school

I swear some boot camp out there is on a tear to change it, I'm hearing it way too much lately.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
I say 'sequel', like everyone else who actually uses SQL

To me, saying "Ess Q El" would be like pronouncing gif as "Gee Eye Eff"

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I said "sequel" for a while until someone senior to me corrected me. "Some people say 'sequel'', but you'll sound a bit stupid." It would feel weird to deviate from pronouncing the letters at this point. Now I'm doubting everything.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I know that I should pronounce it sequel but I still habitually sound out the letters.

SeaSilver

Banned
Dec 28, 2020
I prefer ESS-QUE-ELL but I guess sequel is winning. Maybe I should consider changing... this isn't like GIF. I've always been, and will always be, a Never JIFF'er.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I hope you didn't have to trouble shoot that at some point lol
Every fucking time, he had several operations and the automated queries he'd set up always failed randomly. Most people also tried the hardest to us MSAccess and combo of pass through T-SQL and Jet SQL and they would create a query which linked to another query, so many union queries and queries post that. They always failed, my boss was like but you're the best at SQL why can't you fix it... there are fucking a 100 queries with shit labelling.

OP
OP
FliX

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
It really seems to be a US/Europe kinda thing, I had never heard sequel in Europe, and in the US I never hear SQL...

OldBritBloke

Oct 28, 2017
It's an abbreviation for Structured Query Language, which would technically make SQL "correct", but…

Thank you. We're done here.

NASA can be spoken as a 'word' and is thus an acronym. The same is true of OPEC and VISA.

BBC cannot be spoken as a 'word' and must be spelt out and is thus an abbreviation. The same is true of HDD and SQL.

vitacola

May 23, 2018
l.sn.de
How would you pronounce PostgreSQL? PostgreSequel? Oh, hell no!

Es Kuh Ell - all day. Like a German nerd.

(Lucky me, I'm just a normal admin without the database competence other than a few basic things.)

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I interact with it in a somewhat frequent fashion at work and I usually go with sequel. Squirrel if I'm feeling fancy. SQL is for dorks.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't worked with databases in over a decade.
However I am now starting a new role with new projects and all my colleagues are talking about sequel, which greatly confuses me...
I first learnt about databases back in high school and we pronounced in SQL [ess-que-ell].
Been a system engineer/admin for 11 years now. It's always been Sequel. It is pronounced that way in VMware and Citrix classes as well.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer to call it S Q L, but I know I need to say sequel to people in the industry so I don't sound like I don't know what I'm talking about.

Naarmight

Oct 27, 2017
I was taught it was S-Q-L, however I know Microsoft actually refer to their product as Sequel, and I think that has basically become the common term. So its Hoover all over again

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I say it both ways but each use depends on the audience.

Coworker = Sequel
Family member or other person unfamiliar with it that I'm explaining my job to: S Q L

Sayre

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Developer here with 20 years of experience.

MSSQL or SQL Server -> Sequel
MySQL -> S. Q. L.

I honestly don't care how people pronounce it, but I do notice younger devs tend to say S. Q. L. For everything.

Also, had a junior dev try and correct me on my pronunciation of sequel. He didn't last long.

Edit: to clarify, I didn't fire him. He was very stubborn and always thought he was right. He eventually got fed up and left on his own.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I don't like saying acronyms that don't actually make a word, so S-Q-L for me.

Related, the Qt framework I call Q-T despite the developers saying it's pronounced "cute".

(And also I play with my N-E-S, not my Ness or Sness...)

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Sequel, but I don't really care, and I don't get the feeling that many do. It's not like GIF where people will defend it to the death. Nor like NES / SNES, where people saying it the wrong way physically hurts me.