• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How do you pronounce SQL?

• ess-que-ell

Votes: 1,040 49.1%
  • sequel

Votes: 1,012 47.8%
  • SELECT Thor FROM The Dark World

Votes: 67 3.2%

• Total voters

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I haven't worked with databases in over a decade.
However I am now starting a new role with new projects and all my colleagues are talking about sequel, which greatly confuses me...
I first learnt about databases back in high school and we pronounced in SQL [ess-que-ell].

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
sequel
I probably also called it ess cue ell as a kid but everyone in the industry says sequel for the most part

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I instinctively pronounce it like the abbreviation, but apparently it's actually intended to be pronounced "sequel". Which is very goofy but whatever. I'll live.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
i used to pronounce S Q L but every job i've ever worked at pronounces it as SEQUEL so i try to not rock the boat or confuse co-workers even if i don't think it's right lol

Pangya

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I used to call it S Q L back in school but everyone in the workplace uses sequel so I use that now also.

MrChom

Oct 26, 2017
They could have called it "Squll" (Skull) or "Squall" but, no, they went for the lame "Sequel"....therefore to me it's always the letters S Q L....

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Sequel. I used to call it SQL, but people who are smarter than myself and who actually use SQL call it Sequel, so I do too now as well.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I called it S Q L after being introduced to it like that in college, but switched to sequel after all my co-workers at my first job called it that.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
tvsg14v55tc71.png

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
i used to say s-q-l but now i say sequel. most things I say the acronym tho not the mashed up hooked on phonics version like sequel

Teejay

Oct 27, 2017
Is SQL an abbreviation?

Yeah Structured Query Language.

It's supposed to be pronounced as S Q L but some people pronounce it as sequel, I guess its predecessor or it was named initially as SEQUEL - "Structured English Query Language"

I find americans usually (not everyone/not all the time) pronounce it as SEQUEL and usually (not everyone/not all the time) european pronounce it as S Q L

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Used to be a reporting analyst and do a fair bit of SQL, ESS-QUE-EL. Unless with my boss who pronounced it Sequel and was semi fine with it.