• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

It's pronounced....

• NES as in "Ness"

Votes: 377 20.2%
  • Just say the letters. En-E-Ess

Votes: 1,101 59.1%
  • NES as in "Nezz"

Votes: 191 10.3%
  • Famicom

Votes: 42 2.3%
  • Just "Nintendo"

Votes: 114 6.1%
  • The whole thing; "Nintendo Entertainment System"

Votes: 9 0.5%
  • Some other crazy option

Votes: 29 1.6%

• Total voters

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Nez and Snez like much of the rest of UK players. I remember Super Nez was also a thing around 1991 at my school when, during playground console warz, 'super' was the superlative in competition with the MegaDrive, but ultimately Snez won out years later.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
At the time? Nintendo or The Nintendo. After a while kinda a few things. Ness, N.E.S., or Normal Nintendo. Haha.

soul creator

Oct 27, 2017
I remember when I first started listening to gaming podcasts and heard someone say "ness" and "sness", it caught me completely off guard, lol. I always just grew up saying the individual letters, or Nintendo/Super Nintendo (I'm from Dallas, Texas, if that matters)

I also still get confused for a split second when people call levels or stages "boards". I do remember people sometimes calling the games "tapes" though

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
N - E - S. Nintendo is also acceptable.

Super Nintendo is Super Nintendo.

I never heard anyone say "Nes/Nez" until hearing it on a podcast 10-12 years ago.

ignata

Dec 26, 2017
Denver
It's will always be just the Nintendo, followed by the Super Nintendo. I didn't know it was said any other way until I started listening to podcasts in the mid 2000s.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Family Computer.

For the western version, spell out the letters like a civilized human.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
Weirdly, I say "N-E-S" when referring to the original, and "Super Nintendo" when referring to the SNES. I don't know why.

EndingE

Nov 8, 2017
I say N.E.S. now, but back then it was just "Nintendo." Then after we got a SNES, it was "Super Nintendo" and the NES became "regular Nintendo."

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
Ness in English, and Nintendo Americano in Spanish, because that's how they called it back at Venezuela. I think it's because we got both the Japanese and the American version there. Don't really know.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It was always just the nintendo back in the day.

N.E.S. nowadays.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
N.E.S. is the only correct way to say it (in English). I'm not headed home to power up my Piss 5 for some Bloodborne.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
NEZ and SNEZ. As for why, well the English rules on when S is pronounced like a Z are apparently a little loose but if it's a noun the S pronounced like a Z. But not always 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Plidex

Oct 30, 2017
In my country it has always been called "Family", like: "Vamos a jugar al Family"

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I'm Norwegian, here it is pronounced as written, NES :)
That is without the double S at the end.
We did call it just "the nintendo" as well when I was young.

However the SNES was allways called the Super Nintendo here for some reason.
Never heard anyone say SNES here (again only with one S).

Amin_Parker

Dec 25, 2019
Tokyo
I pronounce it Color TV-Game personally...
I agree, the Color TV-Game console was Nintendo's real true first Home console which was released in June 1977. It was released at the beginning of the first generation of video game consoles. Unfortunately it never released in America which is why most Americans never bring it up. However, to stay on topic I believe Nintendo's first console released in America is actually pronounced "NESSS".

The NES is short for Nintendo Entertainment System.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting.

So I typically say En E Ess for the NES, rather than Nintendo or Ness or something, but then when it comes to the SNES, I typically say Super Nintendo or sometimes Ess En E Ess.

How weird. I bet it also depends on age/if it was your first console or anything. I'm mid-20's and my first console was the PS1. I'd bet it's different if your first console was the NES or SNES/grew up with them.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Pretty sure that "Ness" is a Zoomer invention.

TV programs and commercials of the time would use some variant of "Nintendo," "N.E.S.," or "Nintendo Entertainment System."

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
We called it Nintendo when I was a kid. Lots of people called it regular Nintendo in my area when super came out.

But my favorite name for it is Nin-ten-d-e-o (said quickly). My grandpa was frugal and worked all the time. My grandma spoiled us. And he would say you never should have bought that damn Nin-ten-d-e-o for those kids. All they do is play that damn Nin-ten-d-e-o. He called it that until the day he died all video games and consoles. So I still say it that way to family.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
my grandma once said "you are dazed with this...Nitebo" so I always pronounce it this way

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I've always said N.E.S.

I've heard a few people call it "ness" but never "nez." In SoCal.

Oct 25, 2017
When it was current I called it "Nintendo" and "Super Nintendo"
Nowadays I usually spell it out "N-E-S", but I still say "Super Nintendo".
I might still call it "Nintendo" if it's in a sentence like "Nintendo and Super Nintedo games."

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
Back then it was "The Nintendo" I don't know when I transitioned to En-Ee-Es, I think it was sometime near the end of the SNES era.