• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

It's pronounced....

• NES as in "Ness"

Votes: 377 20.2%
  • Just say the letters. En-E-Ess

Votes: 1,101 59.1%
  • NES as in "Nezz"

Votes: 191 10.3%
  • Famicom

Votes: 42 2.3%
  • Just "Nintendo"

Votes: 114 6.1%
  • The whole thing; "Nintendo Entertainment System"

Votes: 9 0.5%
  • Some other crazy option

Votes: 29 1.6%

• Total voters

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I thought we settled this

www.resetera.com

N.E.S. vs. NESS. Bring the ruckus.

I was watching a bunch of NES commercials, as you do on a chill Tuesday night, and in every single commercial if the console itself is mentioned it is named as the "Nintendo Entertainment System", the "Nintendo", or "N.E.S." They even got the voice actor for Krusty in the Simpsons to do lines...

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Just had a flashback to the 1UP Yours episode where Garnet calls the SNES the (Ess-Ness) and Bettenhausen lost his mind.

What a great podcast.

Jun 20, 2019
As a kid it was "Nintendo", but now it's just "NES" as if it were a single word. The SNES is "Super Nintendo" always and that won't change.
Yep, the only reason I use SNES in online conversation is because it's a convenient abbreviation. Same reason I obviously don't say "botw" when speaking, it's Breath of the Wild.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
N-E-S, but honestly most of my 8 bit collection is Famicom carts for my AV Famicom, so I almost always just say Famicom.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
As a kid it was always just Nintendo, but now just NES or Nintendo 8-bit for whatever reason.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Growing up in the late '80s and early-mid '90s, my siblings and I and our friends all pronounced the NES by its letters, "En-E-Ess" and when the Super Nintendo was released we simply referred to the Super NES the same way, as in "Super En-E-Ess." Outside of that, we would of course just say "Nintendo" and "Super Nintendo." Many years later to hear some people online say "Nez" and "Snez" is just too weird but hey, to each their own.

Dablado

Jan 1, 2019
Nintendo 8-bit (in Swedish though) in casual conversations or NESS when people know what the hell that is :)

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
saying the letters of the NES makes the most sense to me, but I will say sness for Super Nintendo

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Used to call it the Nintendo, and its successor the Super Nintendo.

For the last twenty years or so it's been En-Ee-Ess and Super En-Ee-Ess.

AFI-kun

Oct 31, 2017
N-E-S and S-NESS, dunno why but that's what sounds good to me, even if it's inconsistent.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I do it 3 ways:

1. En-EE-Ess
2. Nintendo Entertainment System
3. The Original Nintendo(even though I know this is wrong in many ways)

I also refer to it as the Famicom, but never the Family Computer.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Nintendo at first, but after the Super Nintendo came out, it was the Regular Nintendo

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I wish we could have a 2 question poll so we could figure out the regional differences.

I'm Canadian and growing up we just said "Nintendo" but now I say "En Eee Ess"

Controversially I say "Super En Eee Ess"

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I pronounce it Color TV-Game personally...

(sorry - it's NEZZ over here in the UK)
I'm British and pronounce it 'NEZZ' (and SNEZZ).
Nezz and Snezz all the way.

I certainly couldn't be bothered to say every letter, that's just madness
Nez to rhyme with Fez.

How it's always been in the UK.

Seeing people spell it out is always slightly weird. Especially for the SNES (Snez), hearing people going Esss En E Esss makes me think I'm back watching knightmare or something lol. SPELLCASTING
British Nezz Pronouncers Rise Up
cb6TrQY.png

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Interchange Ness and Nintendo depending on my mood. I get why it's Nezz for Brits but anyone insisting it be spelled out N-E-S is a loon.

Yes, let me take more time to spell it out than a single syllable.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
En Ee Ess.

But like the pronunciation of GIF, I don't care how you say something, as long as I understand what you mean.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Ehn - Ee- Es.

And for the record I say Super Ehn-Ee-Es and Es-Ehn-Ee-Es interchangeability.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Ness. Why pronounced the individual letters of the acronym or say Nintendo when there's a shorter way of saying it lol. The shorter pronunciation is pretty much always what I'll use for most things in life... Maybe it's the inner Australian.

Oct 31, 2017
UK here -
Nez
Snez
Nen-Sexy-Phwoar
Gam-Eh-Kewb-Beh
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Piece of shit-U
Switch

Solobbos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
They are "Nintendo" and "Super Nintendo" in Finland. Maybe "Än ee äs" if you are talking with fellow nerds.

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Each letter individually; N. E. S.
Super Nintendo is just Super Nintendo. People who use "snes" as a word are uncouth villains.
N64 is N-Sixty-Four.
Gamecube is pronounced Turbographix 16.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the '80s, I called it "Nintendo".
In the '90s, I called it "Ness" or "8-bit Nintendo".
Somewhere in the '00s, I started using "En-E-Ess" more but still sometimes say "Ness".

"Nezz" damages my brain.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Honestly? yes. If we didn't have a stigma associated with this it would work. People have been doing this shit online and in texts forever with all the "u" and "4" and all of the various initialisms that sprang up over time. English is also really, really dumb and flowery for no reason compared to a lot of other languages, if you translate directly.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
I live in the United States of America, but more often than not, I'll say "You Es Ay". Who in the world would pronounce it "Yousah"?

Jun 20, 2019
I say "tiv". Why would anyone spend more time pronouncing the letters TV?

Me: "I was thinking of buying a new fork tiv this spring."
Literally everyone: [blank stare]
Me, thinking to myself: They'll get used to it.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
It was "Nintendo" followed later by Super Nintendo. These days it is "Nintendo 8 bit".

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Nintendinho (little Nintendo). No idea why, it's just something we naturally do in Brazil lol