• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you pronounce "Gradius"?

• Like "gladius"

Votes: 259 33.7%
  • Like "radius"

Votes: 492 64.0%
  • Other

Votes: 18 2.3%

• Total voters

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
The thread on the pronunciation of Galaga was a washout in favor of "GAL-aga", so let's try another shmup with at least two pronunciations.

Do you pronounce Gradius "gladius" with an "R" or as "radius" preceded by a "G"? Vote now.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Eris

like Gladius, even though it didn't occr to me until just now that that's what it probably is with the l/r thing

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Unsure how "Gladius" is supposed to be pronounced (non-native english speaker), but I say Gradius as "Grade-ius", so I guess the "Radius" one

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is the first one supposed to be like the beginning of 'Grass'?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I've always pronounced Grey-dee-us. But checking google the Japanese spelling suggests technically it'd be Grad-ee-us

which is fine - from a localisation point of view it'd seem to me like grey-dee-us is a more natural English pronounciation?

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Like the Latin word gladius but with an r instead of an l: [ɡrad̪iʊs̠]

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Like so.

Uxifgu1.png

Zaimokuza

May 14, 2020
Like the Latin word gladius but with an r instead of an l: [ɡrad̪iʊs̠]
^

Correct Answer.

Edit: in general there's a ton of easily pronouceable words that are just pronounced like they're written that english speakers just butcher because of the absolutely idiotic english grammar. I subconsciously hate every native english speaker that has pronounced the word "Forza"

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
platypus rhymes with various now???

this thread is getting more confusing by the second

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Emphasis on grad... It kind of goes against how my brain wants to say it (like certain versions of Raiden or Ryu) but it also feels more correct.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I'm gonna have to defer to the international phonetic alphabet on this one
dfb3af20-4f05-4794-awhj27.jpeg

f51da15f-7557-42d4-9sqkd9.jpeg

them's different A sounds
for something to rhyme the phonetic alphabet transcription does not have to be identical
leave a little wiggleroom for regional differences and there ya go

things rhyme when they sound either identical or similar. we're in the land of similar over here. that's just how rhymes work.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
for something to rhyme the phonetic alphabet transcription does not have to be identical
leave a little wiggleroom for regional differences and there ya go

things rhyme when they sound either identical or similar. we're in the land of similar over here. that's just how rhymes work.
in that case, "gradius" rhymes with "gradius" and I declare the thread moot

everyone go home

Jun 23, 2019
Adam Sessler had an entire rant about this on XPlay years ago about how every mispronounced Japanese names including, Gradius, Samus, Saiyan, Ryu, etc. I have to see if I can find it.