• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

I play my retro games...

• ... always on original hardware

Votes: 45 14.9%
  • ... always via emulators

Votes: 108 35.6%
  • ... sometimes on original hardware, sometimes via emulator

Votes: 116 38.3%
  • I do not or barley play any retro games

Votes: 24 7.9%
  • ... via hardware emulation (e.g. MiSTer)

Votes: 10 3.3%
  • ... in other ways, e.g. re-releases (comment!)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
EDIT: Updated poll options because I wasn't aware of the MiSTer. This should be more clear now. You may want to update/change your votes as well.

I've recently upgraded my small old 13 inch tube to a 32 inch tube for some good old retro action (and I have no clue where to put that monster). After playing a few games on it I wasn't really disappointed but not overwhelmed either about the image quality (people often claim how impress the image is on a tube so I expected A LOT!). Now, I've been switching between playing on an emulator and the tube constantly for weeks now and while both options have some advantages over the other one, I think I'm going to stick with emulators.

For one thing, I really like taking screenshots and gameplay footage. Setting up everything correctly with all them cables and devices and routing it to my PC and achieving a good quality video while simultaneously playing on the tube is actually a big huge pain in the ass. Emulators on the hand and while often come with their own caveats (like being sometimes glitchy, buggy, requiring at least some tinkering depending on the emulated platform) offer much more convenience in that regard: I can play them in my always ready-to-go PC environment (which is also connected to my TV in the living room, so my PC is practically my multimedia central for music, films and games; I can easily switch to my monitor if I need to work and want to play more competitive games).

However, I can understand that for some people and setups it's more convenient to just play on original hardware: insert your cartridge/disc, hit the power button and play. And of course there people who believe old pixels only look good on an old display.

I don't care too much about the graphics improvements on an emulator because bumping the resolution ever so often reveal many technical flaws (e.g. the water having no waves and only showing a blue texture in the distance in Wave Race 64) or, at least on PCSX2, mess with certain games and certain UI elements. But being able to switch between work, modern games, old games and non-native PC games and having them all on one machine is actually amazing. And with some emulators supporting a wide range of shaders it's actually very close to playing on a tube (which is, I know, blasphemy for some people). I simply love all these options emulators are offering these days. It's fantastic!

So here is my question: How do you guys like to play your retro games? Do you prefer original hardware or emulators? Please give reasons when you post :)

Last edited:

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
I much prefer using emulators today because of the reason you can enhance the resolution and other neat features.
I am using RetroArch as a backend and love to use Beetle PSX or Beetle Saturn and enjoy the nostalgia there.
Emulation has come a long way and has improved a lot back when it started.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Emuls. I find most old games virtually unplayable without save states.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I've disposed of every console prior to the ps3 so emulators for anything before that

Deleted member 44122

always on the newest hardware its available on, but nowadays that mostly counts as emulation i guess

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
RetroArch with a good CRT filter is close enough for me to drop my old consoles.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Mostly Emulator these days, though I do have a lot of original hardware laying around. I play on a CRT monitor, so it ultimately works out.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I have an original modded gameboy I recently picked up, but other than that I play on a raspberry pi 4 running RetroPie.

I also enjoy re-releases with added QOL features.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Most I want are available at Steam/GOG lol.

I'm playing a bit on NSO too (started Breath of Fire yesterday)

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Emulators. Don't have the physical space to house dozen of systems. If I had infinite money and space I'd play on original hardware.

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
Whatever retro console, plugged into an OSSC which is then plugged into my capture card.

I stream a lot of older games, so I mostly play them whilst sitting at my desk. Simple setup and it always produces great results.

Or just emulation, in case I don't want to use any of my disks or whatever.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Always on original hardware. Mostly modded.

If I want to play or games it's because I'm feeling nostalgic so it has to be done right

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I have my Commodore 64 with me if I really want to run something, otherwise everything else is through emulators. I hardly ever do go play anything from back then that wasn't on pc though.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
If a mister counts as an emulator, then pretty much always emulator. I sold off my retro collection a few years ago. Not enough space and I had to move a few times in a short span of time with no great way to store anything. I miss some of it a bit but I doubt I'd buy anything again at today's prices.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I rarely play retro games these days, but when I do it's on raspberry pi. I have old carts in totes in the basement, but it's a hassle setting up all the different systems whenever I want to take a trip down memory lane.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Original hardware for as long as possible.

/edit: on a crt.

Last edited:

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
Emulators. Switch Online has been pretty great feature wise with multiple save states and even rewind. A few other official emulators also have those features on Steam/current gen consoles.

I don't think I have the patience for a lot of older games anymore, even ones I grew up with, without the features afforded by modern emulation.

OP
OP
ThreepQuest64

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I've moved over to playing them mostly on my MiSTer (an FPGA device that's neither emulator nor original hardware).

I do occasionally play them other ways. For example, I just played some RAF World (Sunsoft) on the Switch's NES Online thing yesterday. Though while playing it I kept thinking that I'd rather play it on my MiSTer.

For systems not supported by the MiSTer, I use emulators. And I still use original hardware sometimes, especially my N64.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
I'd say so since they aren't played on original hardware.

I think it's still not original hardware and offers some levels of convenience you don't have on original hardware, like one device being able to play games of several different platforms. I'd count that towards "emulators"
Ok, was curious as it doesn't do save states or anything, so it's essentially the same gaming experience as original hardware.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
My preference is official PC port and if that's not available or done poorly then I'll use an emulator. I still have my old systems but rarely hook them up anymore. Even official retro compilations have been somewhat lacking in my mind lately compared to options offered by using Retroarch, I have my CRT shader set up how I want there and lately I've been having fun using retro achievements, it's cool having additional goals to attempt in my replays.

OP
OP
ThreepQuest64

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I've updated the poll options because I wasn't aware of the MiSTer and other devices that are neither original hardware nor typical emulators on a PC. This should be more clear now. You may want to update/change your votes as well.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I play my 16-bit collection + Dreamcast on original hardware + OSSC. PS1 and later I emulate. This is mainly a function of 1) the consoles I have that still work reliably are the older ones and 2) CD-based games are easier to rip to bin/iso format for emulation than my cartridges.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Emulators. I want to move on to hardware emulation later on; I got an Analog Pocket coming next May and I also want to jump on the MiSTer train sometime soon.

Trickytoon

Jan 14, 2018
It depends - I prefer the original hardware + OSSC but there are some great features in many emulators that I like to use for certain games.

I feel like emulation is looked down on a little bit in certain retro circles but if you're space restricted or just dont want the overhead of having 20+ systems and a CRT hooked up all the time its a great way to game. CFW on a Switch with a few emulators also makes some long commutes way shorter!!

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing beats using an actual old NES. Sliding that cartridge in and pressing it down. Hitting the power button. Grabbing that little controller.

Takes me right back to being a kid.

Same with my Gameboy.

BUT if i can't play the game on original hardware, ill emulate it.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
Original hardware + CRT for as long as they keep on living. VRR emulation is a good alternative nowadays.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
I bought a RG350M and it has been amazing. So... emulated on dedicated gaming hardware

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used to play og hardware (Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast) on CRT, but now Mostly play on emulators. Just yesterday I was testing Daytona 2001 via Redream at 2K with my T300rs. its pretty crazy the Dreamcast looks so good at higher resolution. PS2 emulation even at higher resolution looks hideous

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Mostly MiSTer or the occasional current gen port.

miserable

Oct 27, 2017
If it's possible, on original hardware, on a PVM.

only exceptions are some of the OG Xbox games which can be played via backward compatibility in 4K on Xbox One X, and some arcade games.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Composite an S-Video connections converted to HDMI and stretched to fill my ultrawide monitor. Let's me get a better sense of distance in platformers and makes retro games feel more immersive

megashock5

Oct 27, 2017
Powell, Ohio
A mix.

I have NES, N64, GCN, Genesis, Dreamcast, PS1 and PS2 consoles hooked up to a CRT.

NES mini, Genesis mini and Raspberry Pi (running RetroPie) hooked up to flat screen.

Wii and newer on flat screen.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Getting the original hardware out and hooking it all back up is a hassle so I mostly use emulation these days. Having something like retroarch handy where it's all avaliable at a click of a button is way more convenient.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If a good MiSTer core exists I put that console in storage, like I have done with my Sega CD, PC Engine, Famicom, etc.

Looks like my PS1 may be the next console to be retired.

And all my standard def consoles + MiSTer can be played wither on my PVM or run through my OSSC to my LG OLED.

Last edited:

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Sometimes I emulate. Sometimes I play on original hardware. Sometimes I play on re-released collections. It really depends on the day.

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
Do things like NES/SNES on Switch count as emulation? If so, mostly that style with a little og hardware here and there. I also have been playing some PS games on my PSP Go. (Actually, I'm not sure if PSP is considered retro now.)

For original hardware I've been playing some GBA games on my Micro in anticipation of getting the Analogue Pocket next year.