• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
There are several (mostly) unused series IPs like Lunar, Grandia, Phantasy Star, and Wild Arms that I'd love to make a pitch for a new game, but I realized that despite making games professionally for about a decade, I haven't really ever successfully pitched anything to a publisher. Most of our games were just games we decided to make because we thought they'd be fun or might sell well. We did work with Penny Arcade on a couple games but they're the ones who approached us. And we've done a couple of Kickstarters, but those were games we were already making so we had a lot of material to show off.

Since I know we have some people who work in the industry here, I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions or guides on successful pitching and minimizing risk.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Getting a proof of concept prototype up and running would probably be the first step. With how far middleware has come these days, that doesn't strike me as an unreasonable goal.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Minimizing risk is mostly playing into publishers hands, by pitching a game that would most likely sell. Most games you mentioned are hard sells to publishers unfortunately.

In the end its a business and the best you can reassure a publisher that the investment is worth it, the better off you be. So be prepared and be prepared to talk numbers. talk budget, talk resources, do your homework.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Getting a proof of concept prototype up and running would probably be the first step. With how far middleware has come these days, that doesn't strike me as an unreasonable goal.
Exactly. At least in game dev school, it got my team on board for my idea.

I do recommend you be careful about using characters from existing IP without permission. IIRC, Argonaut Software, the c0-developers of Star Fox, got Nintendo angry for using Yoshi in their 3D platformer prototype back in the day. That's how the game became Croc though.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I would hope more companies would have something like the square enix colective

Square Enix Collective

This is your chance to shape games development and champion ideas that you'd like to become reality – so check out the projects, get voting and leave your feedback!

Personally i am doing planning a fanGDD and will print and try to give a dev as a present xD
but then again it is basically an artistic hobby so whatever it is probably a crazy idea anyway

May 15, 2018
Denmark
Why go through all the hard work while only reaping some of the reward because you're working with someone else's IP? There's probably a good reason why the publisher hasn't made a new game in the series.
Making a sequel-in-spirit-only seems to be a much better deal for a developer if you can gather the hungry fans of a mishandled franchise with a kickstarter or similar.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
There are several (mostly) unused series IPs like Lunar, Grandia, Phantasy Star, and Wild Arms that I'd love to make a pitch for a new game, but I realized that despite making games professionally for about a decade, I haven't really ever successfully pitched anything to a publisher. Most of our games were just games we decided to make because we thought they'd be fun or might sell well. We did work with Penny Arcade on a couple games but they're the ones who approached us. And we've done a couple of Kickstarters, but those were games we were already making so we had a lot of material to show off.

Since I know we have some people who work in the industry here, I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions or guides on successful pitching and minimizing risk.
I think the best way is to have a prototype in addition to a marketing pitch. What makes this franchise worth revitalizing? Is there a way to release the old games close to the release of the new one? Is there something about these games that makes them relevant to today's audience? What twist or new feature will grab the attention of the gaming public? You have to go into the pitch with the idea that the publisher doesn't care about the legacy or gameplay of these old games or else they'd be making new ones internally. Think mostly about what YOU bring to the table and what your ideas do differently enough to get sales higher than these games did even in their heyday. Maybe even do some basic marketing research and convince them that these IP holders are sitting on a gold mine.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Why go through all the hard work while only reaping some of the reward because you're working with someone else's IP? There's probably a good reason why the publisher hasn't made a new game in the series.
Making a sequel-in-spirit-only seems to be a much better deal for a developer if you can gather the hungry fans of a mishandled franchise with a kickstarter or similar.
1. One may care about the franchise deeply
2. A known IP may generate additional exposure that may counterbalance the lower profit share

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Well, Zeboyd has already sorta done that. Cosmic Star Heroine was in part motivated by a love for the Lunar RPGs.

Working on an IP you have a lot of affection for, and wanting to make it the best you can, can produce amazing results. Just look at Sonic Mania.

OP
OP
werezompire

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

We've done this before. Cosmic Star Heroine's genesis was literally me thinking "I'd really like a new old-school Phantasy Star game. Why don't we make something like that?" and then it morphed into its own thing with elements of Lunar & Chrono Trigger and a battle system that was vaguely inspired by Xenoblade (cooldowns). But the Phantasy Star element should be pretty obvious - mix of sci-fi & fantasy, 3 planet system, the main character's name is Alyssa (Alys & Alis being main characters in the PS series), dividing enemies into 3 types (organic, robotic, and astral) was inspired by Phantasy Star 2's organic/robotic mix and the abilities that dealt with them, there was even a cutcene that referenced the nightmare opening in Phantasy Star 2, etc.

It'd be nice to have the support of a big company that could fund the thing, as well as a built-in fanbase. And well, getting paid to make official fanfiction is enjoyable. :)

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I hate when I hear about a great pitch idea that was rejected or ignored. Stuff like Renegade Kid (Mutant Mudds dev) pitching a Virtual Boy Wario Land remake (and other VB remakes) to Nintendo for the 3DS still upsets me because Nintendo ignored it.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I hate when I hear about a great pitch idea that was rejected or ignored. Stuff like Renegade Kid (Mutant Mudds dev) pitching a Virtual Boy Wario Land remake (and other VB remakes) to Nintendo for the 3DS still upsets me because Nintendo ignored it.

The legends of a Retro Sheik action game still haunts me in my sleep

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
c15.gif

Into the sea.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I can't say for gaming specifically but if it's anything like funding agencies for scientific research it basically comes down to all the basics of project management:
- goals
- USP
- business case
- budget
- timeplan
- resources (available and planned)
- risks (and risk management)

I could go on... to be frank, it has less to do about the ideas but to plan the realisation behind it. Especially if you're going for a bigger project.
I know it doesn't sound interesting (especially for a field that relies so much on art) but to convice a room to move ahead on your ideas it'll take some or all of the above.

Edit: to mention your games you've put in the OP - JRPGs like Grandia - you could try and make a case for such a game but plan everything that. Even a niche can be very successful, especially if it hasn't been catered to. I know I'd buy a Grandia-style game in a heartbeat on the Switch (or wherever). I believe I haven't seen its battle systems resurfaced/replicated, for example.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018
Not sure if its the same thing in games as in TV Animation when it comes to pitching for existing IP, but usually its not recommended as the studio is either not interested or has someone internally assigned to doing something with the existing IP.
But regardless of weather its new or existing, a pitch bible (or probably some form of game design doc in this case) would probably be very useful.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I've pitched a game a couple of times before, but was only internally.
There were about 20 pitches from various people, the only one that went ahead was the one that the studio director presented.

Pretty crazy coincidence

OP
OP
werezompire

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the video. Just listened to it and there was a lot of great advice there.

Oct 25, 2017
México
So, I have a question.

I'm not a programmer/game designer (just a regular graphic designer). But how do us simple mortals can pitch a game idea and be part of the project?

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
Make a prototype that you can actually play. If it's fun, people will want to invest in it.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
So, I have a question.

I'm not a programmer/game designer (just a regular graphic designer). But how do us simple mortals can pitch a game idea and be part of the project?
Unfortunately "I have an idea" won't get you anywhere with a publisher, you have to be on a team that can execute on a vision on budget and on a schedule, and that vision needs to have a solid business case for it to exist.

From your description you need to find or get on a team first before you can reasonably assemble a pitch.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
So, I have a question.

harsh truth, you can't. I can count on zero hands, the time that in my professional 12 year career, I witnessed someone that is not in upper management pitch a game idea internally and got turned into a project, let alone someone outside the industry coming in with ideas. There are plenty of ways to get into the industry and none of them are being an idea guy.

if you really want to make a game.. go make a game and don't let people stop you!
In the end its all about how bad you want it and how far you are willing to go. Engines are free, there are tutorials for visual scripting or how to learn to program everywhere! The barrier into indie development is super low these days and kinda reminds me of the old days of garage devs. All you need is a computer, and the will to make it happen. It wont be easy and will probably be the most challenging thing you will ever do in your life, but its worth it!