• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm off to Amsterdam at the end of the month. Curious to see if having a few puffs of a good joint can help my brain stop being shit. (Going to try Silver Superhaze in case anyone's wondering. It's supposed to energise you, rather than just make you wanna sit in the corner for hours, I hope). I'm a virtual newbie to it so will be interesting to see. And hey yeah drugs can be bad but then the pharmaceutical industry has a whole bunch of chemical recipes designed to alleviate mental health issues so why not some weed, a more natural version.

Besides weed I guess maintaining good fitness obviously gives you a big boost. I've been languishing at about 2 stone overweight (28 pounda/13kgs) permanently for years. I'm hardly big or anything but have a belly and a manboob situation and that gets me down every single day. Putting the concerted effort in for a couple of months to lose the weight and get healthier never quite happens due to life and indeed mild depression preventing me. It's a viscous cycle. I do wish mental health was tackled more head on. Everyone needs to know and accept that EVERYONE will suffer from time to time, in small and sometimes in big ways. It doesn't even matter how good your life may look to an outsider it doesn't change what you feel inside. While we're making progress we still have a society hell bent on demolishing you if you're not rich, attractive, intelligent, or super hard working or a combination of the above. Instagram influencers have a mental health awareness post then next day are contributing to the whole sorry mess all over again by partaking in a thought system that ruins people.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
It turns out I might have physically debilitating anxiety (since I've had these nervous symptoms for months now and we've ruled out a great many other possibilities through testing), so... poorly.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
VL8v3zl.jpg

johan

Oct 29, 2017
Running/swimming, getting enough sleep, meditation, healthy food, making sure I enjoy my work, alone time, staying hydrated, cold showers, learning new shit. Recently added cbd to my routine too

none of these on their own is enough, gotta do it all. Sometimes it doesn't work, I have to make sure I stay motivated

but also the occasional cheat day: drinking and/or drugs, shit food, etc

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Since four years ago, largely with Wellbutrin (formerly Effexor). Also, the whole going to see mental health professionals thing.

Before and times since embarking on this self-care regimen I've flirted with the notion of junking it all and just offing myself. There was a full-blown suicide attempt just before making the change.

Jack Bauer

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
I don't. No point in trying to manage it anymore. I know I'm going to lose in the end.

just playing the waiting game.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
Gym, Sleep, Vitamin D or Sunlight, forcing myself into social interactions. (I enjoy them but my natural state is to avoid)

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
New hobbies and putting yourself in new experiences.
Working out or even hiking, doing some kind of exercise in the day.
Cleaning up in the house.
Taking care of yourself, having good hygiene.
Less time on social media and more time communicating with people in real life.

It's a slow process but life is the journey not the end goal.

Edit: also being self aware is important. Usually when you have depression or some type of mental illness it's almost impossible to be aware of it.
So always keep yourself in check like you notice you're in bed too long or your mood change. If this happens, just realize that it's not who you are it's just an illness. So, always try to put yourself in a different perspective by moving into another location or doing another task.

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Counselling/therapy, spending quality time with a range of people that fulfil your different social needs, walking outside of the urban, a good movie, and mindfulness are some of the things that keep my head a calm, cool place to be.

Necron

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
About 1/3 Botanist Dry Gin mixed with 2/3 Fever Tree Indian tonic, poured on ice and served with a slice of lime.

Oct 28, 2017
I also avoid people who I dislike as much as possible.

I deleted FB, too
These are big. But what if those people are family and you're single with no family of your own haha.

For op:
-Diet
-Exercise
-Sleep
-Anti-depressant if indicated
-Routine discipline
-Challenge yourself to move out of your comfort zone
-Avoid drugs and alcohol

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fundamental lessons form my religion helps immensely. Significant focus on reflection and continuous introspection.

Combined with regular exercise and diet. Im generally always in a positive mood :D

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
What helps me stave off nihilistic defeatism and meaninglessness:

- Exercise
- Listening to music
- Doing artwork
- Socializing with positive people
- Limiting time mindlessly consuming social media and video games
- Actively seeking out fluff like puppy videos.
- Actually talking and venting to people in private when things are dire.

Oct 28, 2017
Exercise and eating right helps a great deal, and sometimes just taking some time out of life - retreating and recharging the batteries. Art and music are a huge help too.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I have a trauma psychologist, PhD with 30 years of experience. With my student insurance she only costs $12 per session.

i have a psychiatrist who's head of the department at a research hospital.

I have 5 medications I take every day for PTSD, anxiety and depression.

I exercise and practice what I learn in therapy.

all this keeps me functional, as opposed to suicidal and unable to work.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Eh, different things but mostly by maintaining my peace. It's the most important thing to me so I protect it at all costs. Which means staying to myself mostly because every person I hang around annoys the living daylights out of me.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I've had a mix of a lot of things happen to me over the last year that have changed my outlook for the better. I reached my lowest point last summer and attempted suicide, after that failed I suddenly came to the realization that things aren't actually that bad I had just built them up in my head and never thought I'd get through it. Another was losing 130 pounds and just in general feeling better about myself and not feeling like I would die walking up a flight of stairs. I also removed the most toxic person from my life and honestly not dealing with their bullshit all the time freed me up to enjoy the good things without constantly worrying something bad would happen. While dealing with all of this I continued to work my job and was promoted and I'm constantly receiving praise from coworkers for how well I'm doing which was also a massive ego boost, and finally having a steady schedule and money helped out a whole lot as well.

I'm also on medication and seeing a doctor regularly to discus things.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
After my suicide attempt, I was hospitalized. While there, I started seeing a regular therapist and got new medication. When I was released, I started seeing a different therapist as part of my treatment plan and continued with my medication and I've been doing that for about ten months now.

I also enrolled in an alcohol treatment plan, as I was drinking as part of my attempt. I do drink socially sometimes, but never like I used to and I plan on enrolling in AA meetings soon.

I also try to do things I enjoy and see my loved ones and friends as much as possible to stay positive.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Poorly.
I don't.
Make jokes about it BUT DON'T WORRY GUYS, IT'S JUST JOKES. I'M OK.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
I have my hobbies for daily relaxation but I also take a day off every month just for a me day. Kids go to school, wife goes to her work, and I just do whatever I want (at least it's time to pick the kids up). Sometimes I will just be lazy and watch Netflix on the couch all day, other times I will get out and do a few things. The important thing is that I can spend the day doing whatever I want to do and not worry about what I need to do.

Phil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just stopped giving a flying fuck a long long time ago
just let shit fly and happen or pop off anything anywhere anytime baby.

fuck it all we all ground dirt in the end anyways

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I recognize I have something, I am aware of it, but then put in a box and pretend I don't have it

I never sought help to treat it, so I will probably drag it until the end of days