• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you like your retro pixel-art games on a modern display?

• Unfiltered - Give me those raw pixels for maximum clarity

Votes: 230 50.0%
  • Bilinear - A simple smoothing filter cleans things up nicely

Votes: 22 4.8%
  • Scanlines - A nice scanline overlay adds that extra richness that I like

Votes: 76 16.5%
  • CRT - A cocktail of complex GPU shaders to fully recreate that classic look

Votes: 119 25.9%
  • Aggressive Upscaling - Filters that attempt to add detail to fake a high-res look (e.g. HQx, Eagle)

Votes: 13 2.8%

• Total voters

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
CRT filter + setting the TV's sharpness to 0

Last edited:

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Crisp with scanlines.

I probably nearly spend more time tinkering with the settings on my OSSC than I do playing games.

inspectah

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I love the Retro Mode on the UltraHDMI.
It's the best replication of CRT I have seen to date.

Together with perfect OLED blacks, it looks almost like the real deal.

img_20170902_120830m8ri0.jpg

Last edited:

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
It's the dmg and gameboy-pocket shaders that do it for me. They just look so good, actually accurate, just.. bigger and clearer.

1484564719807-zk7dwy8-resized.jpg
1484564748878-2tgrwwo.png

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Love me some good scanlines like in Sonic Mania on PS4 Pro or crt royale/Retroarch.

Helps the games not look like ass as much while also bringing in the nostalgia.

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
I usually emulate on a pc crt so all I really need to add is a scanline overlay to make them more pronounced. I'll also add a sharp-bilinear filter if anything needs to be scaled and handhelds always need their borders.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
well my option wasn't in the poll...
Generally I play unfiltered except I use a color adjustment that ramps the gamma the same way CRTs do. This produces the same colors from CRTs while simultaneously giving me clear sharp pixels. Here is an example:

Mega Man X3, no color filter:
LHXPfnW.png

Mega Man X3, with color filter:
tBBUlcc.png

Without the color adjustment the image is always too bright and this corrects it pretty well.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Raw pixels is terrible if the game is pre-16 bits. The tiles of games like Zelda 2 will destroy your eyes if you don't put a filter on them, Jesus.

I usually use scanlines, or a CRT filter if available. A lot depends on the display, though. Scanlines can look very ugly on some displays, and they darken the image quite a bit.

16-bit pixel art and later I can play raw, but I still prefer scanlines.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sharp raw pixels unless there's a good filter and I may shift back and forth depending on how I feel.
Agree. Most of the scanline filters look like shit IMO. Sometimes it makes the game look better but I find that a rare occasion. This is for modern retro games. I play my oldschool console games on a CRT on their original systems.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
CRT, to appreciate the pixel art that went into the game. Any other way ruins it.

Sonic Mania, for example, is given a huge disservice without the CRT-Sharp filter.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
You should pretty much never be using unfiltered pixels.
Unfiltered pixels mean that you are either displaying the game in the wrong aspect ratio - likely with black borders instead of filling the height of the screen, or there will be pixel crawl/flickering artifacts when anything moves across the screen.

At the very minimum, you should be using something like the Pixelate shader.
This shader retains virtually all of the sharpness of unfiltered pixels, but prevents flickering artifacts caused by non-integer scaling - whether that is to fill the height of the display, or to correct the aspect ratio.

Here's an example of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, scaled to 1080p.
Unfiltered pixels - displays in the wrong aspect ratio, and the image does not fill the display:
sotn-unfiltered-niesc.png

Bilinear filtering - displays in the correct aspect ratio and fills the display, but the image is significantly blurred:
sotn-linear-bilinear-wldoy.jpg

Note: this is bilinear filtering in linear light rather than gamma light, as most filters will use. Bilinear filtering in gamma light will dull the picture (look at the health counter).

Pixelate shader - displays in the correct aspect ratio and fills the display with minimal blurring:
sotn-pixelate-wkifq.png

If you zoom in close on this image, you can see that the blurring is generally constrained to a single pixel width around every pixel, and at typical TV/monitor distances it should not be noticeable.

My preference is for a good CRT shader - though not one which adds distortion. I have a tweaked CRT Royale preset that I like.
One thing that is very important to note about scanlines or CRT filters however, is that any filter which brightens the picture is not displaying color accurately.

If you have a really basic scanline filter, one which just draws solid black lines every other line, it is supposed to make the image dimmer.
Half the screen is now black, therefore the brightness should have dropped by about 50%.
Scanline filters which try to brighten up the image are distorting it by lowering the gamma or doing something even worse. You end up with ugly and washed-out colors.

What you need to do with a scanline filter like that is to double the brightness of your display. If your backlight was at 5, raise it to 10 (assuming the control is linear).
This way you restore the brightness/vibrance that was lost by adding the scanlines without affecting the color reproduction.
Even with the most basic scanlines, doing this can start to make the picture feel a lot more like a CRT which had a very high intensity light output, but only for a very short amount of time.
With better scanline implementations or CRT shaders - ones which do not do brightness compensation or can have it disabled - you probably don't need to raise the brightness quite so much, as the scanlines are likely taking up less than 50% of the screen.
This is really interesting. I've never seen this filter before, but it reminds me of the simple interpolation option that a lot of older emulators used to use before GPU-driven bilinear filtering became the standard. I like it a lot.

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unfiltered pixels mean that you are either displaying the game in the wrong aspect ratio - likely with black borders instead of filling the height of the screen, or there will be pixel crawl/flickering artifacts when anything moves across the screen.

This shader retains virtually all of the sharpness of unfiltered pixels, but prevents flickering artifacts caused by non-integer scaling - whether that is to fill the height of the display, or to correct the aspect ratio.

Unfiltered pixels - displays in the wrong aspect ratio, and the image does not fill the display:

Bilinear filtering - displays in the correct aspect ratio and fills the display, but the image is significantly blurred:

Note: this is bilinear filtering in linear light rather than gamma light, as most filters will use. Bilinear filtering in gamma light will dull the picture (look at the health counter).

Pixelate shader - displays in the correct aspect ratio and fills the display with minimal blurring:
sotn-pixelate-wkifq.png

If you zoom in close on this image, you can see that the blurring is generally constrained to a single pixel width around every pixel, and at typical TV/monitor distances it should not be noticeable.

My preference is for a good CRT shader - though not one which adds distortion. I have a tweaked CRT Royale preset that I like.
One thing that is very important to note about scanlines or CRT filters however, is that any filter which brightens the picture is not displaying color accurately.

If you have a really basic scanline filter, one which just draws solid black lines every other line, it is supposed to make the image dimmer.
Half the screen is now black, therefore the brightness should have dropped by about 50%.
Scanline filters which try to brighten up the image are distorting it by lowering the gamma or doing something even worse. You end up with ugly and washed-out colors.

What you need to do with a scanline filter like that is to double the brightness of your display. If your backlight was at 5, raise it to 10 (assuming the control is linear).
This way you restore the brightness/vibrance that was lost by adding the scanlines without affecting the color reproduction.
Even with the most basic scanlines, doing this can start to make the picture feel a lot more like a CRT which had a very high intensity light output, but only for a very short amount of time.
With better scanline implementations or CRT shaders - ones which do not do brightness compensation or can have it disabled - you probably don't need to raise the brightness quite so much, as the scanlines are likely taking up less than 50% of the screen.

Good post that I fear will be lost on the unfiltered masses.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Definitely using CRT Shaders. I play my retro games on a Sony PVM and unfiltered looks nothing like what games in the past used to look like.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
I'll play usually in a line doubling mode with the OSSC on an OLED. Occasionally I'll use scanlines but I find they make the picture a bit too 'dark'.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I generally try to play my retro games on a CRT. When that's not possible, however, I like to play on a 720p native display like the Switch's screen and do pure scanlines with no other filtering.

Bilinear filtering is, under no circumstances, acceptable to me. It looks worse than composite on a standard SD CRT.

Anything that attempts to soften the image has to be *very* carefully applied.

I generally don't play retro games on my 1080p display at all. But when I do, I use the Framemeister and set it to 480p with scanlines wnd turn up the brightness, or 720p with scanlines, or 1080p without any filters enabled.

Retro commercial compilations are a different story. I evaluate those on a case by case basis but I find most of them scale rather poorly and have bad filters.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Retro commercial compilations are a different story. I evaluate those on a case by case basis but I find most of them scale rather poorly and have bad filters.
I tend to agree. Damn shame when an otherwise solid retro compilation release has poor image filtering options.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I generally try to play my retro games on a CRT. When that's not possible, however, I like to play on a 720p native display like the Switch's screen and do pure scanlines with no other filtering.

Bilinear filtering is, under no circumstances, acceptable to me. It looks worse than composite on a standard SD CRT.

Anything that attempts to soften the image has to be *very* carefully applied.

I generally don't play retro games on my 1080p display at all. But when I do, I use the Framemeister and set it to 480p with scanlines wnd turn up the brightness, or 720p with scanlines, or 1080p without any filters enabled.

Interesting to know, thanks. I've recently started playing SNES games on the Analog Super NT on a 1080p set. It gives me the option of setting it at 480/720/1080p. Is 480p recommended wherever possible?

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting to know, thanks. I've recently started playing SNES games on the Analog Super NT on a 1080p set. It gives me the option of setting it at 480/720/1080p. Is 480p recommended wherever possible?
Depends on the upscaling quality and speed on your TV. Most likely it's best to output to your TV at native res (1080p in your case) to minimize input lag add by your display's upscaler.

720p is good for a lot of retro content because it scales cleanly from 240p with 3x integer scaling.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I tend to agree. Damn shame when an otherwise solid retro compilation release has poor image filtering options.

There's another option, but it's overkill of many people. You can *downscale* content to 240p to use on a CRT. But it requires identifying a scaler with proper downscaling options and tweaking it on a per-game basis.

Check this out:

https://www.retrogameboards.com/t/s...-all-the-ps-i-need-56k-warning/71/460?u=peltz

If properly set up, it looks spectacular.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I like all my pixel art games to look like an intern that has never heard the term "pillow shading" traced over them in MS Paint. That's the dream.

Awakened

Oct 27, 2017

sotn-pixelate-wkifq.png

If you zoom in close on this image, you can see that the blurring is generally constrained to a single pixel width around every source pixel, and at typical TV/monitor distances it should not be noticeable.

Even with the most basic scanlines, doing this can start to make the picture feel a lot more like a CRT which had a very high intensity light output, but only for a very short amount of time, and only for a small area of the screen at once.

This is really interesting. I've never seen this filter before, but it reminds me of the simple interpolation option that a lot of older emulators used to use before GPU-driven bilinear filtering became the standard. I like it a lot.
You both might be interested in this article: http://themaister.net/blog/2018/08/...rt-filtering-in-3d-a-mathematical-derivation/

The bandlimit pixel shader Maister talks about in that is available in slang (Vulkan) and GLSL (GL) formats usable with RetroArch. It looks pretty similar to Pixellate with "Linear Gamma Weight" set to 0 (IIRC), but the code is supposedly more efficient. It might run better than Pixellate on mobile platforms.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Scanlines/CRT filter depending on the game. No way will I play it with that awful vaseline filter. Unfiltered can vary between the games but generally they look pretty terrible for most pixel art games when unfiltered.

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
CRT is always my first choice. Most of the art of old games was not meant to be seen unfiltered.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the upscaling quality and speed on your TV. Most likely it's best to output to your TV at native res (1080p in your case) to minimize input lag add by your display's upscaler.

720p is good for a lot of retro content because it scales cleanly from 240p with 3x integer scaling.
Thanks both. I'll try 720p and see how it
Goes. I've been playing Super Street Fighter on 480p and didn't notice any input lag. That may just be my untrained eyes though.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Either raw with nearest neighbour scaling or a really well done CRT filter that blurs details, but does make the art look as intented (there was recently a really good post about this).

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't care less if other people like filters, I just don't understand it, lol.

smoove.jpg

On the left, each pixel has been carefully placed to convey visual information. On the right, microwaved crayons.
that's not a filter anybody uses though!
I tend to want to use advanced CRT shaders, though I'm too lazy.
The xBR filter actually looks OK, compared to Super Eagle and its family of filters.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
For modern retro games, I want to go with the intended look of the developer (usually unfiltered without any shader). For classic games running an emulator, I want an advanced CRT shader because it looks very ugly without it as the games/art were intended to be played on a CRT TV with scanlines.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
My preferred option isn't really part of the poll, so I guess I'll pick "unfiltered". I like my pixels to be clean, but older games often can stand to have their colours tweaked (usually gamma), and messing with the pixel sizes, so they aren't perfectly square. You can easily tell if something is wrong by looking at circles in games, like moons, bubbles, or wheels. Sometimes they're looking a little squished, which probably wasn't the intention. I say "probably", because a lot of the greats simply weren't as meticulously crafted as we might think. Teams were relatively small, dev cycles even of really big games were relatively short, sometimes drastic changes were carelessly made for practical reasons or by accident, and people didn't always know what they were doing because it was a relatively new industry.

CRTs can be heavy on my eyes, and the filters that emulate them often amplify this issue, so I avoid them if I can. There are some games that benefit from their quirks. but more often than not they just mask sloppy pixel art practices, and enabled over-zealous dither-fiends. For modern games, I don't want to see scanlines or CRT filters, unless the express purpose is to make it look dated and worse.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Sharp pixels with good scanlines is my go-to. Especially "hybrid" scanline options, like the one on the Super Nt - basically, varying brightness depending on the surrounding pixels.

I like CRT shaders when done well, but I'm both picky with them and unable to properly ascertain what I want out of them.

This is me. I grew up playing on CRT's even into the PS3/360 era, but I really don't much about the *science* behind any of it, so I usually just stick to scanlines, raw, or CRT depending on my mood. This thread has been a nice refresher on things I had forgotten though.

Last edited: