• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Thread title. Have been thinking about this lately, especially when playing Halo on PC.

The thumbsticks are designed with this circular indent for your thumbs to rest in, however, I really don't like this position. It feels comfortable across the surface of your thumb but it feels unnatural when playing.

VYNBkR3.jpg

I tend to find myself using sticks like this:

9ZkULqv.jpeg

However resting your thumb tip on the edge is uncomfortable after a while, but feels way more natural.

This setup doesn't feel quite as bad on the DS4.

TEjN7E9.jpg

qIsPIY7.jpg

I use a thumb grip which is a nice meeting in the middle. I can rest my thumb on the side, but it doesn't feel like a sharp edge as on the Xbox controller.

HXiccZ1.jpg

I think I will get some grips off eBay for my Xbox controller.

But it makes me think, it would be cool for the Elite controller to offer different shapes of thumbsticks but just different heights. This circular indent is a safe design for the masses, but having different groove options would be cool.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
If you're talking about the neutral grip, my fingers don't rest on the analog sticks. Thumbs default to the dpad and face buttons with index fingers resting on L1/R1 or in between those and L2/R2.

When I'm actively using them, thumbs rest on top of the sticks. Positioning shifts a bit based on what I'm doing, but I don't do that weird thing that you do with my thumb on the side of the stick unless I'm pushing the stick all the way in any given direction.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I do it how you do it in the first picture, my whole finger rests on the actual top of the sticks for both the Xbox and PlayStation controller.

It's been a long time but I might've used the N64 stick the other way, can't remember for sure but it popped in my head when I saw the second pictures.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
If I'm pressing forward my thumb ends up resting with the inside knuckle in the indent. I hate that it does this and I have to reposition it all the time

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I have quite small hands and small fingers, and controllers clearly weren't designed with small hands in mind, so I prefer holding my controller thumb-sticks on the sides, like you do. I find it allows me to be much more agile, flexible & precise in the movements I make, while if I had to always fully stick my thumb all over the thumb-stick, I'd end up being limited in the movements I can make due to it being pretty awkward mechanically-wise to execute some movements that way with my thumbs.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
My thumb is on the grip for the left stick (being the movement stick, I don't need quick access to any direction since I'm mostly just pushing it forward) and on top of the right stick since I use it to aim.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i've always gone by this ancient adage:

you gotta know when to hold em,
know when to fold em

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
I rest my thumb joint on the circular part. Unless I'm interpreting the image wrong, how would you do the second rest position on the edge without also engaging the stick input?

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Generally my thumb only touched the bottom of the stick, sort of like your photo. Absolutely not putting my thumb in the centre.

Argentil

Oct 27, 2017
Grant us a poll and let's see the distribution here. I'm in the second group. I find it feels more precise if I rest my thumb tip on the edge of the stick. This does make my thumbs slip off sometimes, so I'm constantly adjusting my grip. It's kinda weird now that I think about it.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I've long thought that they should angle the sticks toward you in the neutral position so it feels more comfortable to push them up.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I don't really use my thumb tip, more like the mid-lower part of it.

All those images seem really unconfortable to me lol

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Same as you OP. I really wish designers accounted for that - it's almost like they've never used a controller naturally themselves.

Why tf does the edge of the controller have to be so sharp, especially when you'll be pushing forward so much on the left stick?

It becomes painful after a while, and like you said putting your thumb right on the face of the stick feels like an unnatural position.

Salient_Lion

Dec 20, 2020
I also push the edge of the stick rather than putting my thumb in the intended indent. It seems the most natural way to move the sticks to me, especially if you have to hold it down for long periods.

Salient_Lion

Dec 20, 2020
I also push the edge of the stick rather than putting my thumb in the intended indent. It seems the most natural way to move the sticks to me, especially if you have to hold it down for long periods to move a character etc.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
You can definitely tell I use the edge of the stick, this is an old 360 controller of mine.

IMG_20210123_162057.jpg

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I hold the thumb on top of he stick, but it's not the tip of my thumb that makes contact with the stick, like in the pictures, but the underside of the thumb a bit farther down.