• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I usually mute the players but if I'm in a bad mood I get on their level and spew toxicity.

Rainbow Six Siege has probably taken like 10 years off of my life because of all the stress I experienced from toxicity and unkind peoples.

adinsx

Oct 30, 2017
Mute (if possible), report, continue playing.
Have fun, that's why you are playing, right?

Morphis

Oct 28, 2017
Mute/ignore/report. Everything else takes too much effort with very little payoff, in my experience.

But it's hard sometimes not to want to engage, I get that. I sometimes say passive aggressive stuff like 'well you sound really nice' or 'you really know how to ask for help' but in the end, even that costs way more energy than I'll ever get out of the encounter.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I will mute chat completely if that's a possibility. Otherwise I will stop playing the game if it's too commonplace.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Mute, report, and move on. Wasting time arguing with people like that solves nothing.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mute everyone and report them on any level possible: since I usually play on Xbox, this means in-game report and system report as well. I take joy from the fact that the match I've just had may have been a cesspool but that there's good chances of seeing such idiots get banned. I get messages from Xbox Live from time to time that a guy I reported got banned, it's satisfying tbh :P In fact I'd encourage everyone to spam that Report button everytime you encounter some toxic idiot harassing you. The more people report somebody, the sooner that scum is removed from the player pool.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Report, and usually kick from group.

I'm usually only in things like WoW, but I don't care if we wait another 30 minutes for a tank.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
mute and report, ain't nobody got time for that shit.

In my experience it doesn't happen too often nowadays. I feel like 10 or so years ago it was a lot worse.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I am sure to let them know they are being asshats, especially if they spout bigoted drivel. I have no tolerance for this sort of behavior and won't excuse it.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Had muting on by default with every multiplayer game I've played this gen. Never heard a single random player speak these past 6 years.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Mute and report them.

There are some real dickheads out there and they're simply not worth the effort. Just ignoring them is often the one thing that will annoy them most anyway.

Wools

Nov 29, 2017
Since playing online with the original Quake, I've been ashamed listening to what other online people spout so stopped looking at the text chat in the bottom of the screen.

Ever since Xbox Live with PRG 2, I've not worn a headset to listen or talk to randoms. Online gaming is the worst with randoms, but the best with friends. :)

Ideally, I never want to talk to a random person in an online game, ever.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If it's some kind of hate speech or bullying I'll call it out, otherwise ignore/mute/leave depending.

klauskpm

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
As others said, mute, report and move on. If I can screen cap them I try to do it too.

But there are games where I try to annoy the hell out of them, like in Rocket League. Partner is toxic? Well, I guess it will be 3x1. Most of the time the other team is very kind.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I honestly can't play team based online games anymore because of this, it's so exhausting. Playing in a team with strangers on the internet is the greatest mistake multiplayer gaming has ever made in my opinion.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I only play Splatoon because there's no way to be agressive with other players.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I had an interesting experience playing GTA online.
Some dude was destroying everyone and started shit talking.
I answered that I wasn't bothered (I was) because I play videogames to have fun, and asked if his parents didn't give him enough love to need so much attention online.
Others started making jokes about that and He disconnected

Ira

Oct 27, 2017
I handle it by playing with voice chat off at all times, and sometimes text chat too if necessary.

Jan 20, 2019
I only play Splatoon because there's no way to be agressive with other players.

Say what you will about Nintendo's voice chat situation on Switch...at the end of the day, playing casually without that kind of toxicity is such a fresh breath that I don't mind the limited communication. Just remember to always booyah back...

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Depends on the game, CoD I don't require the need to talk to people so I just mute everyone unless I'm in a party. Something like Overwatch? I just stop playing completely, I don't have time for that garbage.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Overwatch is a team-based game that I play with Voice/Text chat off for everyone.

It makes it near impossible to make it past a certain threshold in Comp, but it works for me!

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
I ignore them. Don't even bother replying, I won't give them the attention they need.

Also, mute chat whenever possible.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
I'll normally call them out if they are going too far and report them afterwards.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't even fuck with people no more man, I can't be bothered. I don't need the stress.

Nowadays, at most I just laugh at the people that are acting up and report them. I don't even bother blasting back any more, because you're just feeding the racists, trolls, and toxic players, etc.
Some people just like getting a rise out of others. You're just wasting your time to be honest unless you enjoy arguing. In that case, do your ting.

Sometimes they'll shut the fuck up if you devastate them with something, but I can't be bothered with this no more.

If you just laugh at them and call them childish, etc. Then they can't get through to you.
I recommend keeping it to a minimum if you're going to say something. So just laugh at them and mute them, or don't even engage, just mute them. Because they become the joke now, with their failed attempts at aggravating you.

Just play the game and try to enjoy it, we come here to have fun.

Last edited:

Sexy Fish

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Mute chat it I'm not enjoying the conversation. Usually try and use a discord to find teammates if I want actual teamwork.

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
Usually just ignore them, might call them out on being an idiot if they say something particularly stupid, doesn't particularly bother me really.

cyberjunkie

Apr 5, 2019
DOTA player here, so you run into smurf / booster players. They're smug, arrogant and thrash talk, while defeating you slowly, for 45 minutes. Hard to just ignore all those things.

Played a 33/35 games Meepo player last night. 95% win rate through the 14 days this account has been active. I'm still fuming.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
The best thing to do is to mute them so they're just yelling at themselves.

The second best thing to do is to turn on your mic and laugh loudly. Then turn mic off. Block them too.

Don't engage with them at all.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, try to just take it in stride/not get worked up over it. It's a game at the end of the day. R6 Siege is the perfect example, I actually may make fun of them/point out that they're taking it way too seriously (Especially since I only play Casual).

But overall it doesn't bother me as much as it used to.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
play muted always, don't really play team-required games that much either i like playing multiplayer, but solo