• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think?

• I don't have a problem with it

Votes: 1,277 59.2%
  • This content doesn't belong on Twitch

Votes: 881 40.8%

• Total voters

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure the large majority of people who are totally fine with fictional women being objectified in games have zero issue with women who do these streams. The end result is ass and titties for them in both cases, is it not? Granted, of course the streamers are showing their body of their own volition which is way different than a fictional character who has no input on what the character designer and 2D/3D artist decide to clothe her with. But the end result for the one viewing the content is the same, whether it's a DoA volleyball game or a hot tub streamer: girl in swimsuit in various poses

That same crowd is also the same crowd that hates when women have sexual autonomy.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, an interesting development: Amouranth has been banned from showing adverts on her stream:

Precisely why she's been blacklisted from ads is unknown: it could be some advertisers caught wind of the hot tub meta and wanted to pull their adverts off Twitch as a whole, it could be Twitch pre-emptively pulling ads before aforementioned ad pull happens, it could be a mod pulling a shiny new lever or it could be a Calvinball ruling. Personally, I'd put my chips on this being Calvinball.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Metas like these only last for so long until something gives, in this case possibly advertisers not feeling comfortable being associated with those kinds of streams. The question is, is she the only one being targeted?

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Metas like these only last for so long until something gives, in this case possibly advertisers not feeling comfortable being associated with those kinds of streams. The question is, is she the only one being targeted?

If ad revenue starts being pulled due to hot tub streaming, then the hot tub stream genre will probably walk its self out.

Twitch is like the hoo-hah at a four way stop who can't decide if they want to go first then cuts you off at the last minute.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
So, an interesting development: Amouranth has been banned from showing adverts on her stream:

Precisely why she's been blacklisted from ads is unknown: it could be some advertisers caught wind of the hot tub meta and wanted to pull their adverts off Twitch as a whole, it could be Twitch pre-emptively pulling ads before aforementioned ad pull happens, it could be a mod pulling a shiny new lever or it could be a Calvinball ruling. Personally, I'd put my chips on this being Calvinball.

huh. I figured the streamers gross revenue came primarily from fan donations, not paid ad revenue. Fan donations have to make up at least a decent chunk of the total revenue for hot tub streamers

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you play with fire long enough eventually you'll get burned. Not surprised at all that Twitch would impose a random punishment with no warning on a major channel, their moderation has a long history of being a dumpster fire.

Iadien

Oct 25, 2017
huh. I figured the streamers gross revenue came primarily from fan donations, not paid ad revenue. Fan donations have to make up at least a decent chunk of the total revenue for hot tub streamers

She said on Reddit that she earned between $35k and $40k per month from ads alone. She is an exception though, she has always streamed a fuck ton of hours, long before this hot tub stuff. and that $35k - $40k worth of ads is just a small part of how much she earns a month between all of her revenue streams. lol

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018

I know many don't like her, but this could be terrible for anyone involved if Twitch can just start pulling ads without a reason as they see fit. It's odd that they wouldn't detail out why and then instead just strip ad revenue without telling her. Supposedly she was still able to run ads thinking she was making revenue when she wasn't, which is scummy for a whole multitude of other reasons.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I guess at least they didn't full out ban her but at the same time they in a sense did since they took the ad revenue away. Might be that advertisers have clauses on what they can run ads on and Twitch is just covering their ass before they start getting upset.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
why? cuz 18+ implies something unsavory? i wouldnt want my kids to be watching a roblox stream and accidently click over to "just chatting" and see women in bikinis humping inflatable dolls and performing fellatio on rocket pops
Neither of those actions would land someones channel into an 18+ channel though. Besides, I don't believe I have witnessed a streamer humping an inflatable doll lmao. These 'sexually suggestive' actions are operating in a grey area where streamers can plead innocence. Someone points the finger at a streamer 'performing fellatio on a rocket pop', streamer claims they are just eating a god damn lolly pop. An 18+ category won't stop this stuff being in the 'Just Chatting' category.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I had no idea this was a thing.
To be fair. I've never had any interest in watching Twitch streams.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
why? cuz 18+ implies something unsavory? i wouldnt want my kids to be watching a roblox stream and accidently click over to "just chatting" and see women in bikinis humping inflatable dolls and performing fellatio on rocket pops
They would sooner ban hot tub streams before making an "adults only" category. How do you even moderate that? I just don't see them doing it

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019

twitch is so SHIT. How do you let her do this for months then just randomly ban her advertisements? How about reaching out? How about making your rules more clear? How about actually doing any sort of administrative work?

EDIT: She was making 35-40k a month from ads apparently

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
twitch is so SHIT. How do you let her do this for months then just randomly ban her advertisements? How about reaching out? How about making your rules more clear? How about actually doing any sort of administrative work?

EDIT: She was making 35-40k a month from ads apparently

They probably received a critical mass of advertisers pulling out. Twitch clearly has no idea what to do about this whole situation.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
They probably received a critical mass of advertisers pulling out. Twitch clearly has no idea what to do about this whole situation.

Apparently Amouranth was aware this was likely to happen eventually since last month

clips.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

Since she's not breaking TOS they can't ban her, but they want to protect their income so they removed ads from her stream (and still, why not without telling her?)

Skyscourge

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2020
Ignoring those who hate these streamers for misogynistic reasons, there is a legitimate concern when it comes to Twitch and just how vague they are with their rules and TOS. Another concern is that this type of content does attract a certain audience with certain expectations. Many other female streamers have expressed that they are personally uncomfortable doing this type of content themselves, and the influx of people watching hottub streamers have been spilling into their streams and have been asking them to also start showing more skin. Twitch needs to decide whether they will allow this type of content on their platform, as in with concrete, defined rules. They also will need to decide if that content and audience needs to be separated (i.e. an adult only section), because at a certain point, content that is too titillating will attract an audience that is incompatible with the original audience that twitch fostered. I doubt that content creators who don't want to do sexualized content want this kind of audience and attention, and I doubt that people would be ok with kids and adults as part of the same chat, where the kids are watching for the cool pog moments and there are adults asking for nudes.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ignoring those who hate these streamers for misogynistic reasons, there is a legitimate concern when it comes to Twitch and just how vague they are with their rules and TOS. Another concern is that this type of content does attract a certain audience with certain expectations. Many other female streamers have expressed that they are personally uncomfortable doing this type of content themselves, and the influx of people watching hottub streamers have been spilling into their streams and have been asking them to also start showing more skin. Twitch needs to decide whether they will allow this type of content on their platform, as in with concrete, defined rules. They also will need to decide if that content and audience needs to be separated (i.e. an adult only section), because at a certain point, content that is too titillating will attract an audience that is incompatible with the original audience that twitch fostered. I doubt that content creators who don't want to do sexualized content want this kind of audience and attention, and I doubt that people would be ok with kids and adults as part of the same chat, where the kids are watching for the cool pog moments and there are adults asking for nudes.
Hot tub streaming is just another Twitch hustle that if you don't get on board, you lose subscribers or are less popular.

The big issue I have is that the hot tub streams are skirting the rules put in place but Twitch saw a revenue spike so let it slide till clearly now ads are hurting.

It's a hustle, people are making money, their bodies their choice. What feels gross to me is the half allowedness of it. If they want sexual content, allow sexual content and put it off to the side and age gate it. None of this "technically" allowed shit with people skirting rules and Twitch clearly not caring enough or being competent enough to fix the rules to close the loophole.

I feel bad for the female streamers who are getting harassed for not being in bikinis and shit.

I find Twitch allows too much questionable shit in general and either only closes the small people doing it or the big ones if they start losing revenue.

Twitch has become less a game or game adjacent streaming site and slowly turning into a generic live stream site.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't buy the faux concern about audiences when like, I mean "gestures wildly" at like all of Twitch for all of its inception. Every week someone's audiences gets super racist, bombards someone with hate, etc.

More creeps is a correlation = causation thing too, like most female streamers weren't already dealing with tons of creeps. They might attribute it to hot tub streamers, but it doesn't neccessarily mean its true. Most of that audience was already there.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Don't buy the faux concern about audiences when like, I mean "gestures wildly" at like all of Twitch for all of its inception. Every week someone's audiences gets super racist, bombards someone with hate, etc.

More creeps is a correlation = causation thing too, like most female streamers weren't already dealing with tons of creeps. They might attribute it to hot tub streamers, but it doesn't neccessarily mean its true. Most of that audience was already there.
Oh absolutely the audience and creeps are already there. I think the issue with these kinds of streams or gambling streams and stuff getting super popular is that it just ramps up those kinds of behaviors.

Twitch definitely has a site wide moderation problem and them not really enforcing rules and pushing back against the creeps and content that shouldn't be there has kind of helped it just keep ramping up.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I've never heard of these. I'm having trouble imagining the setup. Are these clear hot tubs? Or do the women just stick their feet in? What are they doing? Playing videogames?

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Twitch should just add some filters or tools for parents to lock out this content (if it hasn't already, I don't really watch any streamers) for children. You're not gonna stop any teenager from looking at tits online so its whatever.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I've never heard of these. I'm having trouble imagining the setup. Are these clear hot tubs? Or do the women just stick their feet in? What are they doing? Playing videogames?
The hot tub meta is really the inflatable pool in your living room with a bit of water meta. Imagine someone floating about on a giant banana, and writing sub names on their arms/torso. Switching outfits with more donations/subs. Stuff like that.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
The hot tub meta is really the inflatable pool in your living room with a bit of water meta. Imagine someone floating about on a giant banana, and writing sub names on their arms/torso. Switching outfits with more donations/subs. Stuff like that.
Well now I'm simply confused why this is on gaming side

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
who cares. getting up in arms over this is some puritanical republican-tier silliness.

age restrictions on channels aimed largely at sexual titillation? sure. but who cares if they exist

Deleted member 13707

Account closed at user request
Oct 27, 2017
I don't hate the people going in, and getting their cheddar while they can.

I just... hate that it's come to this. There are many other websites that would welcome social interaction like this with open arms, but... don't do this to Twitch. Don't make this a thing on Twitch. Twitch isn't your Facebook Live. It's Twitch, the gaming livestream website. And that's all it ever really needed to be.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
E2LIQVmX0AYmMEu

A funny bump.
Saw it on a feed.