• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Well?!?!

• I enjoy Western-style RPG turn-based gaming (e.g. XCOM, Mario and Rabbids)

Votes: 91 8.6%
  • I enjoy Eastern-style RPG turn-based gaming (e.g. Final Fantasy III, Dragon Quest series)

Votes: 160 15.1%
  • I enjoy turn-based games of all types

Votes: 640 60.5%
  • I don't enjoy turn-based gaming at all

Votes: 102 9.6%
  • These choices were too broad! I've got a complex opinion outside of them.

Votes: 64 6.1%

• Total voters

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
In general I really like it. I think of it as less of a technological limitation and more as just a way to abstract the ideas of movement or combat into discrete intervals, which can theoretically allow you to get creative about how turn orders are implemented or shifted, the delineation between movement and action, spacial positioning, etc.

Iscariot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
XCOM2: WotC is one of the best games of all time.
FFT: WotL is one of the best games of all time.

Whatever problems I might have with Persona 5, it certainly wasn't cause of it's turn-based combat system. In short turn based can be done plenty well, I've got no qualms about giving Yakuza7 a shot.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
love me some good turn based combat. i'm very happy it's coming back in style and games like persona and octopath are becoming big hits

Castform

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Florida, United States
I mean, the best game of the year so far (Slay the Spire) uses it to great effect. I think there are definitely games where it feels underwhelming, but that's more the fault of the games than the mechanic

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
Love them.
But I get easily tired of easy/repetitive small combats (usually to fill some action in a boring path, or just for farming).
The best of this system shows up during long difficult battles where you have to put some thinking on your strategy.

Oct 25, 2017
Really depends for me. Turn-based strategy/tactics is fine, but I'm generally terrible at those games so I avoid them. And I lose my patience with Final Fantasy games, but love Persona 5 and really enjoyed the simplicity of the combat in the Dragon Quest XI Switch demo. I'm looking forward to see how Yakuza does it. I think in general, I don't like turn-based games that require too much menu navigation. I want it to be easy to heal/fight/buff/run/etc, without having to dig through menus.

But in truth, I really don't know why some click and some don't. But I think speed of play is a big factor... Gotta go fast.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I enjoy turned based console jRPGs and
turned based strategy games like various Nectaris (Military Madness games or the early Panzer General series.

GenericJoe

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, surprised at the poll results given how much hate turn-based seems to get on this forum. Vocal minority indeed.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I like JRPGs and usually have one on the go (FF6 currently) where I play on and off, but it's rare that I've ever found one where the battle system has any real strategy to it. I think I mainly play JRPGs for the repetition and level grinding because the stories are completely inconsequential to me, it's rare I find the story engaging. It's just a passive activity that I can do and switch my brain off from whilst watching TV.

It would be cool to find JRPGs where strategy matters and that it would be engaging and exciting - not with overly long regular battles, but I don't really come across them. There's a lot of mashing A to attack. Maybe because I like to grind I always end up overleveled so of course everything is just mashing attack. Not sure.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
Don't sleep on the Shadowrun games by Harebrained Schemes. It has so many of the best elements of tactical turn-based RPGs, intimate party based RPGs, and classic Western style role-playing games. All wrapped into a very pretty package. And you can regularly have them super cheap.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
When I was younger I used to enjoy turn-based titles all the time. Nowadays I can still fully enjoy a turn-based game, I lean towards more active experiences. At times turn-based games can be so boring (I love the series I'm about to mention) like Dragon Quest and Pokemon.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Love it all, at least when done well. Amused that the most recent (and therefore I would have thought most obvious) example of Eastern style turn-based gaming wasn't cited as an example: Fire Emblem. I can't name many other games as long as that I'm as eager to play again. And again.

MrDoctor

Oct 26, 2017
USA
real-time only works when you dump arbitrary rpg mechanics on top of an already competent action game(see: falcom, dark souls)

turn-based is bad if the game is bad, or fails to utilize the format in any meaningful way, such as surprise mechanics — metal slimes and shinies, not ea lootbox shit

real-time with pause is comprise between the two, and i pray every night that atlus hasn't forgotten about growlanser

Modest Mauser

Jan 12, 2018
Turn-based games allow for entire genres and designs that don't exist otherwise. Real-time with pause isn't a "compromise," it's still real-time.

The idea that turn-based gaming is outdated is also ignorant of the broader medium and its history.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I'm fine with it, it's just another style of gameplay. It's certainly not "outdated", we don't need everything to be full real time control. What a boring world that would be.

Despite this I'm still a little bummed about Yakuza though just because outside of that series we don't get many 3D beat em ups. Character action games just aren't the same. I like turn based, I'd just prefer it to be elsewhere.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a great combat system that allows wonderful strategy game play. The argument that it's dated holds absolutely no water. What about it makes it dated exactly? Side scrollers have been around for ages, Wolfenstein has been around for ages. Are those genres also dated? What exactly makes a game genre dated, because it certainly isn't age.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Yuck. I wish that I did enjoy such systems, but I just don't, and I've tried so many times throughout the years, anything turn based is an instant turn off for me.

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I enjoy being immersed with the character(s) and game play, not being a coach on the side line telling the character what to do, waiting then watching what happens.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon is one of the Top 5 best-selling franchises of all-time and it's turn-based. There are also non-RPGs that are turn-based that do exceptionally well like many strategy & puzzle games.

I said home consoles.

Turn-based games have a very healthy audience on every other platform in the west -- handhelds, mobile, PC. But on consoles Final Fantasy is the only one that's able to become a top-selling game, and even that might not be true anymore, as there hasn't been a turn-based mainline console FF since 10.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
i used to not like them but have grown to appreciate them more and more. Started with Dragon Quest VIII for me.

Feb 9, 2018
Turn-based has always been my preference. Action RPGs have always felt too much like a bunch of button-mashing flailing around in combat, and I never liked having regular party members controlled by the AI. With turn-based I feel like I have to put more thought into my actions, plus it felt like a natural progression from the turn-based tabletop RPGs (esp. D&D) that inspired early video game RPGs. All of my favorite JRPGs are turn-based titles from the 90s. Nowadays it seems like "turn-based" is considered a dirty word among most RPG developers. At least some turn-based titles still get made, but they're not anywhere near as common as they were 20+ years ago.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
I voted, "these choices are too broad" because the division between east and west feels really kinda artificial. Many of my all-time favorite games are turn-based (FFT, Panzer General, Tactics Ogre, the Age of Wonders games, the Civilization games, Darkest Dungeon, D:OS 2 even though I've not gone deep on it, etc). What they all have in common is that positioning matters a great deal, it's never just two sides flinging shit at each other in different orders, you have to make use of the terrain, unit files, and speed to take advantage of their strengths and cover their weaknesses.

I'm not sure what category Darkest Dungeon and Battle Brothers would fit into, but I love the combat in both (apart from some extreme cases of RNG). Generally, though, I prefer real-time action.
Darkest Dungeon is definitely turn-based. Turn order's determined by each unit's relative speed stat, with the highest going first.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Just because a game is turn-based doesn't mean I'll like it ... but yeah, some of my favorite games are turn-based.

So, I feel really good about them.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I do generally enjoy turn based games. Always have.

I don't think Yakuza 7 is just a case of people disliking turn-based combat though. Like although I do like turn based games, I dunno how excited I am for Yakuza going that route with it's mainline games...

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
I had always hated turn based but I gotta say Divinity Original Sin 2 kind of blew me away.

I think it's a combination of every fight being unique hand crafted, the utility ever object and power has and the amazing rewarding of out of the box experimentation.

Last edited:

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
I love turn-based games. Though I'd say I usually prefer Japanese turn-based games (mostly JRPG's) to Western ones.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I started thinking about western turn-based RPGs and realized they pretty much don't have the problem with battle transitions that JRPGs do. They've never really done the dramatic screen swipes with loading screens that go into a separate zone. Combat usually just happens right there in the normal environment. The only major JRPG I can think of that kinda does this is Chrono Trigger.

It's kind of a microcosm of my general issue with turn-based JRPGs -- they often feel disjointed, like a tabletop game, a book, and an anime series all printed on one disc. Traditional western RPGs, while often less flashy, tend to have a smoother flow and thus a greater sense of immediacy.

I voted, "these choices are too broad" because the division between east and west feels really kinda artificial. Many of my all-time favorite games are turn-based (FFT, Panzer General, Tactics Ogre, the Age of Wonders games, the Civilization games, Darkest Dungeon, D:OS 2 even though I've not gone deep on it, etc). What they all have in common is that positioning matters a great deal, it's never just two sides flinging shit at each other in different orders, you have to make use of the terrain, unit files, and speed to take advantage of their strengths and cover their weaknesses.

What this poll misses is the difference between typical turn-based RPGs and tactical RPGs.

FFTactics and Fire Emblem probably have more in common with XCOM and Panzer General than they do with regular FF or Persona.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
I simply don't find the art styles of JRPG's appealing, but enjoy playing the Yakuza series and the announcement has got me really interested. But overall I enjoy turn based games. It's strange there hasn't been more Western looking RPG's with JRPG mechanisms.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
It is what the devs make of it. I'm generally on board. Some turn based games have bad combat. Some turn based games have good combat. C'est la vie.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Eastern style turned based for me. I'd never touch a Western style turn based game even if you gifted it to me.

I'm glad the poll separated the two and makes the distinction.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
I started thinking about western turn-based RPGs and realized they pretty much don't have the problem with battle transitions that JRPGs do. They've never really done the dramatic screen swipes with loading screens that go into a separate zone. Combat usually just happens right there in the normal environment. The only major JRPG I can think of that kinda does this is Chrono Trigger.

It's kind of a microcosm of my general issue with turn-based JRPGs -- they often feel disjointed, like a tabletop game, a book, and an anime series all printed on one disc. Traditional western RPGs, while often less flashy, tend to have a smoother flow and thus a greater sense of immediacy.

What this poll misses is the difference between typical turn-based RPGs and tactical RPGs.

FFTactics and Fire Emblem probably have more in common with XCOM and Panzer General than they do with regular FF or Persona.
I agree with this, and would add inspiration is regularly passed across this supposed east-west divide. Panzer General, for instance, was directly inspired by a Japanese wargame and went on to inspire many western strategy games in turn.

RAWcolour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I enjoy it because I feel less on the edge of my seat while playing games that way and it's a more relaxing experience.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Love both styles. FFX is my favourite Eastern style turn based game and Divinity Original Sin my favourite Western. I really need to play a Fire Emblem game.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with this, and would add inspiration is regularly passed across this supposed east-west divide. Panzer General, for instance, was directly inspired by a Japanese wargame and went on to inspire many western strategy games in turn.

Absolutely.

In the world of traditional RPGs, the west had a huge influence on Japan in the beginning, and then they sort of diverged in the late 90's. With tactical RPGs and computer wargames though, it seems Japan and the west constantly inspired each other throughout the early days. Even now, the east-west divide isn't as stark in SRPGs as it is in regular RPGs.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I like turn based games that aren't overly complex, have easy to understand UI, and have animations that are flashy and satisfying.

Oct 30, 2017
Out of the dozen that I've tried, the only traditional JRPG one that I've ever liked was DQ11, because:

• Variety of preset strategies that allow for easy battle automization
  • All party members gain XP, regardless of whether they're in the active party (have to be alive iirc)
  • Upon level up, a party member regains all HP and MP

These three together make farming legitimely fun to me, because it creates a nice flow where you're constantly switching out party members once their HP is low and put them back in once they've leveled up as a passive party member. They all feel valuable. They feel like a real travelling group.

Damn, I love that game so much.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I voted for Japanese turn-based combat, since Japanese RPGs comprise the vast majority of turn-based games I enjoy, but I like Western games with turn-based combat, too (such as the South Park RPGs and Child of Light).

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I don't like games that are exclusively turn based combat. If it's turn-based I need a mixture of exploration and combat. Which is why I'm not keen on most tactical RPGs, but like traditional J-RPGs.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
I'm a big fan, although there are some easy pitfalls with turn based combat that a lot of games fall into.

Action combat in RPGs mostly devolves into button mashing for me. I have like zero skill...

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
I know I'm just saying that's the only one I'd say really originated in the west that's in the realm. Is OP saying Western because it's more common for current Western developers?

Traditional turn-based JRPGs (early FF, DQ, Phantasy Star, etc) are based on CRPGs. Most notably, Wizardry.

JRPG gameplay was western in style to begin with.