• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DoctorDave

Nov 6, 2019
One of my favorite system. I still play it.

I don't get that. Are you saying the game I followed in media during years, that I played day one on my Wii U, does not exist ? Or I managed to play a switch game on my Wii U, without even hacking it ?
Also the sheikah tablet is totally not an in-game representation of the Gamepad, right ?

Honestly, I feel the opposite. Botw is a Wii U game, ported to Switch. Because that's what it is.

I understand what you mean, and I'm having a hard time making my mind on the subject. A counter-argument to yours is that the user interface was significantly changed when they moved to Switch, because it lacked a second screen. So does that make it more a Switch game? I'm not sure, and I wonder sometimes if we would've had a better experience still could they have kept a second screen with touch controls (their original vision, in other words).

hailvera

Sep 4, 2019
It is collecting dust in my basement. Easily the worst console I ever bought. I can't even bring myself to play the virtual console games I own on it.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
My mindset when getting it was "I can get all these games that got announced and still focus on my wii backlog", which I did.

As for those announced games, I really enjoyed them. Xenoblade X, Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, DK Tropical Freeze and Captain Toad were all great, Mario Kart8, Splatoon and Mario Maker were pretty fun as well as online experiences that I could play by myself or with friends, and unlike the wii, indies now had a lot more space to work with.

It had some disappointing aspects, like Mario 3D World being a linear Mario, or how in the latter half the games turned out pretty disappointing as they prepared for the Switch, but still... I used it a lot, and still do for the few games I have yet to finish between indies and wii titles. The TV Mode, even if it has a shitty battery and low reach isn't that good, is great for playing in the couch with the family.

And it has a built-in browser to check out guides anytime, unlike the switch.

That said, this is coming from someone who never owned a ps3 or 360. Games like Bayonetta, Deus Ex 3, Stick it to the Man, Guacamelee or the Darksiders duology were new to me.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I understand what you mean, and I'm having a hard time making my mind on the subject. A counter-argument to yours is that the user interface was significantly changed when they moved to Switch, because it lacked a second screen. So does that make it more a Switch game? I'm not sure, and I wonder sometimes if we would've had a better experience still could they have kept a second screen with touch controls (their original vision, in other words).

BotW is both a Wii U and Switch game to me, since it was released for both consoles at the same time.

OP
OP
Wariobenotware

Wariobenotware

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020

Waiting the entire lifespan of the console and then only to receive a worse version on the Wii U makes it a Switch game in my mind. This isn't even a Twilight Princess situation where the GC version had significant advantages over the Wii version. Like keeping the correct not mirrored version of the world. As well as having better camera controls.

In contrast there were really no advantages to the Wii U version of BOTW. The game ran better on the Switch and removed all Gamepad functionality mid development. I'm honestly kind of surprised the Wii U version even came out.

RebelStrike

Apr 28, 2020
It was the first time I skipped getting a Nintendo console which is saying a lot. I do have to give props to it having a better selection of classic games than the Switch though.

Zero83

Oct 29, 2017
Oslo
The console launch excited nobody outside of the most loyal Nintendo fan base. New Super Mario Bros U was better than the other NSMB games, but it was the fourth entry in a pretty short amount of time. NintendoLand was a great mini game collection, but neither of these two first party games could sell a console to the masses. The launch line-up from third parties was big and varied, but outside of ZombiU they were available cheaper elsewhere. And then there were months of virtually no new games.

Luckily most of the first party games were of high quality. SM3DW, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2 and DKC:Tropical Freeze are among the greatest games Nintendo has ever published. Pikmin 3, Smash Bros 4, Xenoblade X, Mario Maker, Splatoon, Captain Toad, Wind Waker HD and a few others were also really good.

I enjoyed Color Splash, Star Fox Zero and Fatal Frame 5 too. Underrated games, if you ask me. I remember asking another user who hadn't played SF0 and called it terrible to try it, but that was apperently unneccesary. That game was so easily dismissed by people who couldn't care less about trying it.

A great secondary console at the time. Made so much more sense owning one in addition to Sony or Microsoft console than owning both of them instead.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I had fun with mine. Didn't have to drop $300 on a new system when BotW came out.

Also, having owned one, it makes me more critical of the Switch for the things the Wii U still does better.

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
No joke but the best game on it is something called PictoParty. It's a pictionary type game that has gotten countless hours of playtime for me and family/friends. It's perfect for the gamepad.

It was a halfbaked console but the gamepad did make for some cool gameplay.

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
Feels like a band-aid. Still technically has the best Zelda. Has a very solid Mario title.

A weird, experimental mess of a system. Don't regret buying one.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
It was a quirky and slow system with a unique controller and stellar games. Not the biggest library but the first party games were fantastic. It had the best local multiplayer games, virtual console, free online, a much better eshop than the Switch, a great video player and web browser. It gave me a sequel to Bayonetta and it gave me Splatoon, one of favorite gaming experiences ever. BOTW was the best swan song any console ever got. Loved the Wii U.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
I'm always going to be bitter that there were close to 0 games that actually took advantage of the hardware. Like... why even bother?

a fucking D&D type game with 3-4 players and the gamepad being used as DM controls is as obvious an idea as one can get for the system, but there was nothing like this to my knowledge. Or basically anything remotely similar to that. Bah

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
It's just so darn slow. I keep it plugged in, but not connected to my TV. It's basically a glorified N64 for me right now since a lot of the major Wii U games are now on Switch.

I love my Nintendo consoles, but I won't miss the Wii/Wii U era.

Crepuscular

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I own more games for the WiiU than the WIi, lol. So...the console itself, I loved. The marketing was bad, yeah.

2014 was one of my favorite years in gaming, but it was also so frustrating and annoying seeing everyone saying "man this year SUCKED" and flailing to pick a mediocre consensus GOTY when WiiU had like five 10/10 games that year (that only 100,000 people worldwide played).

Zero83

Oct 29, 2017
Oslo
I own more games for the WiiU than the WIi, lol. So...the console itself, I loved. The marketing was bad, yeah.

2014 was one of my favorite years in gaming, but it was also so frustrating and annoying seeing everyone saying "man this year SUCKED" and flailing to pick a mediocre consensus GOTY when WiiU had like five 10/10 games that year (that only 100,000 people worldwide played).

That's absolutely true about 2014. Sad.

m0therzer0

Mobile Gaming Product Manager
Verified
Nov 19, 2017
San Francisco bay area
I don't get the "bad GUI makes a bad game system" argument. How much time do you spend messing around in the GUI compared to the amount of time spent playing games?

Solid library of 1st party games that slowly trickled out over the system's life that the Switch has been relying on pretty heavily to fill in the gaps between new titles.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Bad hardware with amazing potential that Nintendo didn't even take advantage of. Even BotW walked away from it and it was clear it could have done alot with the shieka pad. If it wasn't for zombi u at launch, then monster Hunter tri ultimate it would have been a bad launch window.

But finally playing MH with decent online, and actually being able to chat quickly on the gamepad created a sense of community I never had in MH before then. I'll remember that fondly

Oct 28, 2017

That, plus indies were on FIRE in 2014. 2014 is one of my favourite years of the gen. 2014 belonged to two platforms for me. And you know what those platforms were?

Wii U and Vita.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the "bad GUI makes a bad game system" argument. How much time do you spend messing around in the GUI compared to the amount of time spent playing games?

Solid library of 1st party games that slowly trickled out over the system's life that the Switch has been relying on pretty heavily to fill in the gaps between new titles.
It's the actual experience of booting up and switching games. Plus the external drive feature is nice, but the limitations on the type of drive made it more annoying than it should've been. It had a nice screen capture feature....that a lot of people didn't even know existed and was also cumbersome to use. As was Miiverse, as was accessing the settings screen, or the notifications screen. The bootup time was so egregious they made a quick start menu to avoid having to deal with the WaraWara Plaza altogether.

I still love it, but the system itself got in the way of the games. Oh, one other plus I'll add to my previous list is how it handled updates.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
I thought it was a good "next step" for portable gaming as I always played on the GamePad if I could. First party lineup was really good and kneecapped early by the system flopping. If BOTW was a Wii U exclusive I'd say it would have one of Nintendo's stronger array of first party titles. You definitely don't get the Switch without the important groundwork laid by the Wii U.

3D World is still my favorite 3D Mario for my money.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
It's the actual experience of booting up and switching games. Plus the external drive feature is nice, but the limitations on the type of drive made it more annoying than it should've been. It had a nice screen capture feature....that a lot of people didn't even know existed and was also cumbersome to use. As was Miiverse, as was accessing the settings screen, or the notifications screen. The bootup time was so egregious they made a quick start menu to avoid having to deal with the WaraWara Plaza altogether.

I still love it, but the system itself got in the way of the games. Oh, one other plus I'll add to my previous list is how it handled updates.

Miiverse for all its merits, was hobbled by either the hardware or just bad software.
Everything took too long to load, the game literally stops if you want to post something and even games that supported the Miiverse applet interrupted gameplay in unpleasant ways, and the applet had much more limited features. It made me not want to post after the novelty wore off.

There was a lot of jank in the UI of both 3DS and Wii U from that period that I don't understand. Either the hardware simply wasn't able to handle it (which really would be surprising for the Wii U) or it's a mixture of bad OS design and perhaps not having the CPU resources to do what the OS designers want. Given there OS core probably had a lot of other things to handle and had to allocate another slice for Miiverse.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i don't want to shit on it too much, nintendo is in the biz of making consoles with concept first and foremost and in the late 00's they were privy to "pads" being the next thing. i can see how they thought they were steps ahead

but they wound up with (what was essentially) a $350 xbox 360 with a pad... in 2012. i'd rather have paid that much for a simple "wii 2/HD" as long as the account transfer/BC was flawless

m0therzer0

Mobile Gaming Product Manager
Verified
Nov 19, 2017
San Francisco bay area

Thanks for your response, that's actually enlightening my perspective on the matter; I never had more than the most minor of interactions with any system features outside of playing games, and I rarely changed games until finishing the one I was actively playing, so I never ended up in those other kind of totally valid circumstances.

You are right about that external hard drive solution, though. Kind of a needless pain in the ass.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Miiverse for all its merits, was hobbled by either the hardware or just bad software.
Everything took too long to load, the game literally stops if you want to post something and even games that supported the Miiverse applet interrupted gameplay in unpleasant ways, and the applet had much more limited features.

There was a lot of jank in the UI of both 3DS and Wii U from that period that I don't understand. Either the hardware simply wasn't able to handle it (which really would be surprising for the Wii U) or it's a mixture of bad OS design and perhaps not having the CPU resources to do what the OS designers want.
Exactly. I'm sad Miiverse just died rather than being improved. 3DS OS improved dramatically with the New models.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I still say what killed the Wii U was marketing more than anything. Still remember people in stores thinking it was an add-on to the Wii and not a new console. Nintendo picked the worst name ever for a console, but they live and learned and now have a better Wii U Pad with the Switch

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019

Yeah it's always weird for me to see people acting like 2014 is this bad year. It was one of the best video game years for me. DKTF, Mario Kart 8, and Smash 4 all in the same year.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Had a blast with it, some really great games...but yeah it bombed big time lol
I got more enjoyment from it than the Wii. 3DW better than both galaxies still, and DKCTF brought me hours of multiplayer bliss
It was also fun to be the person with smash 4 and the GameCube adapter.

The MK8 coupon exchange at the old place is a cherished Wii U memory. I built up my library on the cheap during that

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Absolute garbage. For starters the name was atrocious and immediately caused such brand confusion that it had a severe impact on consumer interest (oh, it's an add-on for my Wii!), a stupid trend they carried on throughout the life of the 3DS/2DS. Beyond that it was a crappy idea poorly executed. Hey here's a console with a super unwieldy controller that you can only have 1 of, it attributes for half the cost of the console and you use it basically as the bottom screen of a DS - for map functionality - and in some games you can use it like a bad handheld that can only be taken 1 room away from the console. On top of that it was also the generation of Nintendo's HD growing pains and they had to pour a lot of support behind the 3DS so the library was extremely weak, we're at the point where almost all of the standout titles are available on the Switch so its legacy is going to be borderline non-existent.

The Switch is a simple idea executed well (just like the Wii), essentially a tablet with HDMI out via a docking station and detatchable controllers. Everyone immediately understands what it will do, and it does exactly that. The Wii U was a mess, every bit of functionality came with a number of asterisks needed to explain the limitations and in the end nobody cared. I hesitate to even call it a prototype Wii because we already had the PSP Go prior to it - a handheld that could dock to the TV and be played like a console by connecting a wireless controller.

The one good thing to come out of it? Miiverse. And that is now dead, probably forever.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I think from a purely games standpoint, it is a fantastic system. It has a tremendous indie library and its first party games are stellar. The ideas that birthed on the system and came to fruition on the Switch prove that the fundamentals behind it were solid but the execution of those idea lacked.

The Switch makes the System less and less of a need and more of a novelty at this point but it still has some life if you wanna play

Xenoblade Chronicles X
Devils Third
Fatal Frame
The best console versions:
Splinter Cell
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Zombi U

Maybe a few others.

Also MIIVERSE!!!!!!!!

MrBanballow

Not changing this tag
May 1, 2019
I think it was the mediocre system between the excellent Wii, and the more excellent Switch. Honestly, I abandoned ship with a couple of years left on its life cycle. I like Nintendo's first party efforts, but I also like third party support, and the Wii U just wasn't it for me. Love that most of the first party U games I missed have made it over to the Switch at this point. I'm still not interested in all of them, but a few gems that I had skipped over previously.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I really didn't like it. My Wii U library is 15 games and there's honestly not any other games I don't own that I want. Virtual console was pretty weak outside of GBA games (NES and N64 games looked absolutely awful) and I didn't like the Gamepad as a controller.

Had many times more fun with the Wii, DS, 3DS, Switch, etc.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I still say what killed the Wii U was marketing more than anything. Still remember people in stores thinking it was an add-on to the Wii and not a new console. Nintendo picked the worst name ever for a console, but they live and learned and now have a better Wii U Pad with the Switch
There was also an enormous amount of misinformation and negative press around it. I remember watching some gaming outlet cover the system at launch and they got basic information about the system completely wrong and were trashing it the entire time. If you don't like it, that's fine. But if you don't like it and you also clearly don't know what you're talking about, get out of here with that nonsense. People like to say, "well they should've explained better" and that's true for consumers, but if it's your job as a major gaming outlet to deliver information that's on you.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I also want to add that I played approximately 1 billion hours of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on mine

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I hated it. I hated the fact that even though I bought a Pro controller I still had to use that stupid GamePad with its shitty distracting screen, just to start a game, and then leave it on whilst I'm playing it with a different controller. I hated the fact that if I actually wanted to use the GamePad I had to be within just a few metres of the console. I hated the OS. And it only had a few measly games worth owning it for. Nintendo's second worst moment after Virtual Boy. I bought one in launch day btw.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
It had a handful of great games, and was worth the purchase. But, also, my opinion is that every console that has sold like more than ten million units is a good console worth owning. In the context of Nintendo's history it was a really weak time IMO. It felt like way more effort was put into the 3DS. There are so few deep cuts and third-party games. I think I own less than 30 games for the thing and it felt like I was buying every Wii U game that anyone could argue was worth owning. Splatoon, Tropical Freeze, and Treasure Tracker are all excellent games. Other games like 3D World, Smash 4, and Nintendo Land were a lot of fun too. But it deserves its reputation IMO.

Love the Gamepad, but it's hideous and probably rightfully turned a lot of people off.

Deleted member 3040

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like there's a lot to write about this, but for all its issues it really felt... special? It's an incredible silly reason, but I think it's the console menu music as well as its interface. I just really, really like them, and they give me the same dreamy vibes as Dreamcast did. This just made starting up the console a joy, honestly.

Apart from that, I bought one later in its life cycle when the writing was on the wall. But since I had lots of gift cards from competitions, I decided to just splurge and it felt like a mini Christmas with a ton of excellent games. And the gamepad might not be perfect, but when it worked it was reaaaaaally nice.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I like emulation in general, but the main reason that I made a backup of my copy of Xenoblade X to play it on PC wasn't so much I wanted to play it on PC, but rather that I don't want to touch my Wii U again if I can help it.

The system had some great games, and the concept was interesting - not enough games made use of its strengths, however, and the Gamepad feels like a bulky toy.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I hated it. I hated the fact that even though I bought a Pro controller I still had to use that stupid GamePad with its shitty distracting screen, just to start a game, and then leave it on whilst I'm playing it with a different controller. I hated the fact that if I actually wanted to use the GamePad I had to be within just a few metres of the console. I hated the OS. And it only had a few measly games worth owning it for. Nintendo's second worst moment after Virtual Boy. I bought one in launch day btw.

Sums up my feelings too.
I posted this in the w101 thread: it brought out the worst in system warring, awful fan hyperbole, every exclusive was claimed near perfect, GOTY, "people just don't understand the brilliance" type of fanboy mentality. Awful.

Without the gamepad and instead some sort of tethering wirelessly with existing portables (3DS) would have been neat, and we know they make excellent software, instead of shoehorned GamePad mechanics they could have focused on software like 3D world,tropical freeze, and BOTW.

Imagine if it had truly been a WiiHD, with Nintendo significantly beefing up their network/multiplayer focus, no GamePad, put 3D World, Mario Kart and Smash online in 2012-2014 you got a winner there.

yrcmlived

Jan 29, 2020
the idea of double screen and the pad was a good start point for the console but nintendo flops in marketing, hardware engeenering and software development support

basically it was a too much old system developed with small effort and selled at very high price

some of the first party titles still amazing today but without indie, without 3rd parts there is no way

check in the eshop how many game are original released in wii u, it's embarrassing

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
This system is very weird for me to look back on because it just kind of came out and nobody, not even Nintendo seemed to care for it. There was no enthusiasm for it ever. Even before it got announced and it was just the rumored "Project cafe" Everybody was like "Oh Nintendo will make a new console, i guess?" It was undpressedent for a upcoming Nintendo system.

Thinking about this is kind of crazy.

Somebody at Nintendo decided that best way to show off the first HD system from Nintendo was to promise more of the same kinds of games that people just played on the Wii pretty much. So one of the first games they showed was a sequel to NSMBW. NSMBU looked pretty much the same and the played pretty much the same as its predecessor. The main selling point was the Miiverse integration and the boost touch gimmick for the Gamepad. These features were so integral for the game that Nintendo completely removed them when they ported the game to the Switch. WOW.

It feels weird looking back at this console because we were all imagining the new gameplay possibilities that Nintendo could do with a much more powerful system during the 7th generation when the original Wii was still at most 480p. But the lineup was just so unambitious and devoid of much creativity. If you ask me the best game for the Wii U was Splatoon because that did use the Gamepad to some degree and it was a game that couldn't have been done on any previous Nintendo system. It was fresh. Everything else pretty much could with some alterations and Nintendo even proved it when they started porting stuff to the 3DS. Mario Maker and Yoshi Woolly World got 3DS ports. Imagine if this happened during the previous generation. Say Nintendo isn't satisfied with how the Gamecube sol and ported Metroid Prime to the GBA. That could never really happen. The Wii U problems didn't stop. There was the price, the droughts and the complete lack of any 3rd party support. It just went on and on.

We got some good games out of the system but there were some mediocrities as well. Star Fox Zero, Amiibo Festival, Color Splash, Mario Tennis Ultra Smash,MP10.
Metroid was on a roll for a few generations there again but that came crashing down with the Wii U too. I guess this was inevitable but it still sucked as an owner of the system.

Zelda just kept getting delayed and delayed so much in fact that the Wii U was the first system that doesn't even have a Zelda game to call its own.

When BOTW was ported to Switch, that became the definitive version and all the gamepad functionality was stripped out. Even if BOTW is technically on the Wii U and the best 3D Zelda game it is hard not to see it as a Switch game because that's what it is. Nintendo forgot all about the Wii U the second it came out.

Like how did Nintendo ever get to such a point? Did HD development really catch them off guard even if they had the entire previous generation to prepare for it and learn from Microsoft's and Sony's mistakes?

Is it any wonder that it sold so badly? It was such a disappointment and even if it is kind of recent it feels like it happened a lifetime ago. Splatoon and Mario Maker were cool though but even they feel obsolete now.

That's not true, hype during Project Cafe days was huge, I remember there being tons of hope that the system would be super powerful and have tons of third party support, there was so much rumors from open world Mario, to full Bethesdia support and more (Everyone during those days that were on NeoGAF remembered the Wii U Speculation Thread)

As for the Wii U itself, I was a day 1 buyer and it defiantly was difficult, there were so much launch titles but the issue was none of them were system sellers, you had a whole butch of PS3/360 ports that didn't add anything and then there was Nintendo Land, NSMBU (Which looked like an upscale Wii game at best), and Zombi U.

It got even more bad once PS4/One got announced and there were so many third party titles missing out on the Wii U and than Nintendo seemed to give up after 2013.

Last edited:

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Every Nintendo system is frustrating and uncomfortable to play with for long sessions. I choose not to think about the Wii U, much like the Wii or the Switch.

I just played the Mario 64 PC port with an Xbox Duke pad and I am not going back to their consoles.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Ah yes, the proto-Switch. It's easy to forget that many of the Switches best games were wholesale lifted from the Wii U.

One great thing about this console... It was cheap! I got the console itself for half price less than a year after launch. Mario Kart 8 was not only cheaper than it currently is on Switch, they also chucked in a free first party game. Donkey Kong cheaper than Switch, third party titles for cheap, I even got a perfect condition second hand Pro controller for a good price. Of course the minute the Switch started selling well cheap prices were a thing of the past, but I actually have a substantially larger Wii U collection than Switch as a direct result.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
There was also an enormous amount of misinformation and negative press around it. I remember watching some gaming outlet cover the system at launch and they got basic information about the system completely wrong and were trashing it the entire time. If you don't like it, that's fine. But if you don't like it and you also clearly don't know what you're talking about, get out of here with that nonsense. People like to say, "well they should've explained better" and that's true for consumers, but if it's your job as a major gaming outlet to deliver information that's on you.
Yeah, people point to the confusing reveal but I think Nintendo's bigger failure in marketing was not having a grasp of what was going on online. There were people who were all too happy to spread misinformation about the device and there were very few voices countering that.

That's not true, hype during Project Cafe days was huge, I remember there being tons of hope that the system would be super powerful and have tons of third party support, there was so much rumors from open world Mario, to full Bethesdia support and more (Everyone during those days that were on NeoGAF remembered the Wii U Speculation Thread)

As for the Wii U itself, I was a day 1 buyer and it defiantly was difficult, there were so much launch titles but the issue was none of them were system sellers, you had a whole butch of PS3/360 ports that didn't add anything and then there was Nintendo Land, NSMBU (Which looked like an upscale Wii game at best), and Zombi U.

It got even more bad once PS4/One got announced and there were so many third party titles missing out on the Wii U and than Nintendo seemed to give up after 2013.

I was taking exams at the time of E3 2012 (?), so I took my exam, got home, got hyped , watched the E3 and Nintendo re-revealed the Wii U and ending wiht Nintendo Land. I knew something was wrong. But people were very quick to throw the 'it's wii sports for the Wii U' thing, but it just didn't do it for me. I was day 1 too. The day 1 update took forever. Even Mega64 poked fun at it.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, people point to the confusing reveal but I think Nintendo's bigger failure in marketing was not having a grasp of what was going on online. There were people who were all too happy to spread misinformation about the device.

I was taking exams at the time of E3 2012 (?), so I took my exam, got home, got hyped , watched the E3 and Nintendo re-revealed the Wii U and ending wiht Nintendo Land. I knew something was wrong. But people were very quick to throw the 'it's wii sports for the Wii U' thing, but it just didn't do it for me. I was day 1 too. The day 1 update took forever. Even Mega64 poked fun at it.

Omg, I forgot about the day 1 update.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed my experience with the Wii U. I skipped the entire first part of Wii U's life until the Killer App for me came out, Smash 4. Smash 4 was actually the first game I've ever pre-ordered (good idea too, since the Gamecube adapter + controller was horrendously under stocked and I got the combo pack) and I've appreciated a lot of games Nintendo gave us for the Wii U. Smash 4 and Mario Kart 8 got a ton of uses on my Wii U. I was still in college when the Wii U came out, and in the spring semester, Friday nights became Smash Brothers nights where we'd pack 13 or so people in my dorm room and we'd just play for hours and hours and hours. Mario Kart 8 is still the best Mario Kart yet and is a huge highlight of owning the console at the time.

Wii U was my first experience with the Bayonetta series, and holy shit, what a great experience that was. Immediately after Playing Bayonetta 1, I had to play it all over again because it was that damn good. Bayonetta 2 was an equally great play-through. Splatoon was an excellent title and had an extremely addicting multiplayer. Pokken Tournament and Hyrule Warriors were great usage of taking Nintendo IPs into new and different genres and both games were pretty excellent at what they did. Can't forget Super Mario Maker, which again, was Nintendo pushing some great creativity to their established IP and giving new experiences that (at the time) you couldn't get anywhere else.

The Wii U was also my experience for some multiplats like Lego Jurassic Park, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, the Batman Arkham Games, Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed. So overall, software wise, I was very satisfied with the Wii U. I was completely fine with the Gamepad, it was a pretty comfortable, and it was great for playing games like Hyrule Warriors where I could play it while watching Youtube on my TV, and the Wii U Pro controller is still the best controller Nintendo has ever produced. Seriosuly, the pro-controller is top tier.

My problem with a good chunk for the Switch's software from Nintendo is that it's basically the Super Wii. Mario Kart 8, Pokken Tournament, Donkey Kong Country Returns Tropical Freeze, New Super Mario Bros U were all just Wii U ports with minimum updates. It's incredibly lazy with full $60 price tags. In terms of value, Nintendo is complete shit when they are offering last gen port for one game at full price, while Sony and Microsoft had released entire collections for the same $60 price-tag (Uncharted Collection and Halo MCC).

In a big way, the Wii U forced Nintendo to be creative with their output. No console Pokemon, but instead a Pokemon fighting game. Burnt out from 2D mario? Then make your own. Lack of shooters, especially for the younger demographic? Here's a brand new IP that blew away all expectations. They combined their two biggest exclusive franchises on 3DS and made a completely original and unique game, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, which is another exclusive that I loved. Take something that seemed to be common sense, and make a Zelda themed action game. And while Devi's Third was a failure, it showed Nintendo's willingness to expand to third parties to create exclusive content. This was the same philosophy that they did with the Sega Sonic deal and Bayonetta. Nintendo had to be way more aggressive into making the Wii U unique, which at the time, I think they really did.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like there's a lot to write about this, but for all its issues it really felt... special? It's an incredible silly reason, but I think it's the console menu music as well as its interface. I just really, really like them, and they give me the same dreamy vibes as Dreamcast did. This just made starting up the console a joy, honestly.

Apart from that, I bought one later in its life cycle when the writing was on the wall. But since I had lots of gift cards from competitions, I decided to just splurge and it felt like a mini Christmas with a ton of excellent games. And the gamepad might not be perfect, but when it worked it was reaaaaaally nice.

Coziness is such an underappreciated aspect of the Wii U's menus, everything has such a warmth to it - WaraWara Plaza, the strangely quaint Miiverse, the little musical queues found in different parts of the system... in many ways it captures the cheerful optimism that "future tech" was dreamed of having in the late 90s, which as you noted the Dreamcast seemed to capture in a way other systems didn't quite manage.

I don't know, cuteness is something I value a lot and even though I appreciate minimal UI approaches, sometimes I want something that doesn't feel so completely sanitized of personality. Wii U is a comfort system in ways the Switch will never be able to match, even if I don't have to wait 15-20 seconds for a menu screen to load.

EDIT: Heck, even the discs felt more friendly and inviting by having more rounded edges! A very subtle touch, but one that has made other discs feel cheaper by comparison.

Last edited: