• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Does the term “Boomer Shooter” offend you?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I find it remarkable that this forum in particular is totally fin with age discrimination. I'm 40+ and whenever I'm referred to as a "boomer" I hate it as it is always used as an insult.

Quinho

Dec 25, 2017
When I've read this title, I legit thought that a game where you shoot boomers were a thing.

I'm at a loss here.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
It's stupid, but it's too late, nothing is changing.

Same thing that happened with walking sims.

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty silly.

Dont have to use yet another term for genre's. They are all FPS's, we don't divide other medias genres due to differing styles or visual look.

A horror film is horror, doesnt matter what decade or how old it is, even if stylistically its different to today.

But for those Doom type games, Maze shooter or something maybe.

You didn't get the memo? Requiem for a Dream is now what is referred to as a Boomer Gloomer.

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
ITT: Era shows nonstop boomer energy

It's slang. Boomer isn't referring to literal baby boomers, if that was the intended reference people say baby boomer outright. Zoomer doesn't necessarily mean a literal Zoomer.

Boomer: old
Zoomer: young

It's that simple. You can be twenty and be called a Boomer by eight year olds. You can be thirty and be called a Zoomer by a fifty year old that gets the slang. Don't be your parents and get hardstuck on 'Back in my day that word meant...'.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are people going to be cool with stuff like their beloved Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI being Boomer RPG?

Those are from the same time, and if your first reaction is to say no to them, then it seems kinda shit to push this on 90's Shooters given the overal negative connotations of Boomer.

However if those are indeed Boomer and it's just early/mid 90's games then I think it's fun enough I'd start using it as a term.
Console JRPGs wouldn't be Boomer RPGs because most gaiming Boomers were PC gamers while console kiddies grew up to be whiny Millennials. Boomer RPGs would be Ultima VII, D&D Gold Box games, etc.

Last edited:

Ceileachair

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why not just call 'em Gen X shooters, because that's what they would be? But it doesn't rhyme, is that what this is because it rhymes lol?

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User banned (permanent): racist trolling
ITT: Era shows nonstop boomer energy

It's slang. Boomer isn't referring to literal baby boomers, if that was the intended reference people say baby boomer outright. Zoomer doesn't necessarily mean a literal Zoomer.

Boomer: old
Zoomer: young

It's that simple. You can be twenty and be called a Boomer by eight year olds. You can be thirty and be called a Zoomer by a fifty year old that gets the slang. Don't be your parents and get hardstuck on 'Back in my day that word meant...'.

Imagine this post but replace Boomer with N-word - "It's slang, doesn't mean anything bad"... I mean really.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
It's dumb.

If it's a reference to the baby boomer generation then that's pretty dumb. Doom was made by gen xers and the primary fanbase was millennials. And boomer is such a loaded word that has a negative connotation that it just seems like you're trashing the game. Doom is still a great game even if the mechanics aren't really popular in games designed today, for xennials or whatever.

If it's a reference to like "the weapons go boom" then it's also kinda lame because the word boomer as a description of something is just so loaded these days.

I'm not offended by it, but i think it's stupid.

It's like Millennial had become the word for anyone younger than the person saying it, and Boomer is the word for anyone older than the person using it.

All of this.

Referring to people who aren't from the baby boomer generation as "boomers" or things that weren't made by or for boomers as "boomer" just make you sound ignorant.

Don't celebrate ignorance, people.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't even know what it was until this thread, so... no. Also, feel pretty good knowing that I was around to experience it all when they were new.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
User banned (1 month): concern trolling over multiple posts, inflammatory comparison by comparing benign ageism to racism
I find it disrespectful to the elderly, who should be treasured especially in these troubled times in which we live.
Right? I don't know why people don't seem to have any respect for anyone anymore.

"Oh but not my gramma she's one of the good ones". Yeah, there's that suspiciously familiar language again.

Really? You're going with that comparison?
Discrimination is discrimination. Ironically, GAF/Era taught me that.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Boomer Shooter (noun) - a shooting game, whether in first person or third person, that refuses to embrace gyro aiming, flick stick, or other examples of motion controls due to fear of new technology

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I love boomer shooters like Asteroids and Galaga!

Language evolves and changes over time, so if people absolutely wants to call 90s FPS' "boomer shooters" then who am I to stop them?

I feel like one could think up better ways to describe the era, though. "Boomer" doesn't actually describe anything that has to do with the gameplay and you could just as easily attribute the same description to platformer, adventure and fighting games from the same era.

Oct 31, 2017
It's a stupid misnomer, just like using "boomer" as a catch-all pejorative 'shorthand' for "anyone who is older than me who I think has antiquated perspectives/abilities/etc" is also stupid.

Yeah, I'll be called a "boomer" for feeling this way even though I'm 60 years removed from that actual cultural demographic.

The internet's effects on language aren't particularly good IMO.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
h2bzals7dts511tj37.jpg
Came into this thread just looking for this pic

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
It doesn't really offend me but I find it dumb. It's dumb for multiple reasons, one being that it's based on the stupid modern use of the word boomer which just seems to be "person over 30". If it just referred to the big boom guns then it would make sense but why make sense.

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boomer Shooter (noun) - a shooting game, whether in first person or third person, that refuses to embrace gyro aiming, flick stick, or other examples of motion controls due to fear of new technology

Oh yes older people are tech illiterate - another example of stereotyping that's perfectly acceptable.

Theanine

Oct 3, 2020
I am definitely not a fan of the term.

a) It sounds stupid, b) my first mental image when I hear it is the Boomer from Left 4 Dead, and c) it's inherently exclusionary.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Like with just about every other reference to boomers, it's misused and reminds me my generation is full of dumbasses.

ArchStanton

Oct 29, 2017
games like OG Doom. Stuff like Prodeus

Annoying means it offends you—there doesn't have to be a high standard for "offense."

Eh, there's a pretty big difference between annoying someone and offending someone.

On-topic: the term is fine, but rather than thinking of a shooter that's ancient, I'm now seeing some weird combo of explosions and rifles and am expecting a specific kind of game rather than a signifier of an OG era of games.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Also, for the vast majority of people the term still means the actual baby boomer generation.

You can say all you want how its a mindset slang, but the first thing I think of is the actual generation.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, there's a pretty big difference between annoying someone and offending someone.

well, if you google "offended," this is literally the first definition Google throws on the table:

resentful or annoyed, typically as a result of a perceived insult.
"she sounded slightly offended"

among all the things this thread displays, it's how avoidant people are of framing their feelings as "being offended"

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I find it remarkable that this forum in particular is totally fin with age discrimination. I'm 40+ and whenever I'm referred to as a "boomer" I hate it as it is always used as an insult.
When you become a parent, you get pretty used to being called old by kids. I'd say it's a pretty natural part of culture that has been going on for a really long time, and for the most part, it's pretty harmless. I would personally reserve being insulted by ageism in spaces where it can actually do harm, like in hiring. I'm not going to tell others how to feel but that's where I'm coming from as a similarly aged person.

ArchStanton

Oct 29, 2017
well, if you google "offended," this is literally the first definition Google throws on the table:

resentful or annoyed, typically as a result of a perceived insult.

"she sounded slightly offended"

among all the things this thread displays, it's how avoidant people are of framing their feelings as "being offended"

Ok, boomer.

:p

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When you become a parent, you get pretty used to being called old by kids. I'd say it's a pretty natural part of culture that has been going on for a really long time, and for the most part, it's pretty harmless. I would personally reserve being insulted by ageism in spaces where it can actually do harm, like in hiring. I'm not going to tell others how to feel but that's where I'm coming from as a similarly aged person.

I work in tech, I'm starting to see first-hand age discrimination against my peers - if I move on from my current job, I'm almost certain to be discriminated against due to my age and I've only really started thinking about this in the last couple of years.

Kids calling me old is fine, I'm used to that. "Boomer" has an insulting quality to it that "Old" doesn't and when I'm described (incorrectly) as a boomer it makes me feel lesser - which is precisely what an insult is designed to do.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not offended at all, but I find it stupid.

Also I think the whole "It's a slang and it doesn't have to do with the actual meaning of the word" is a very slippery slope...