• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't want the RE4 Merchant to return. Why would he? He was great in 4. He fits in 4. He stays in 4.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
i don't mind that we have a new merchant. just reusing him would be kinda pandering

as long as the accent is bad, I will accept him

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
At the risk of sounding like an asshole, is the "fat = opulence" trope considered offensive? Like I feel like with the old-timey European setting they're going for the old association of fat with wealth in times and places where food is scarce.

I know that doesn't make fat-shaming okay, but I get more the sense that in this context he's being made fun of for being a greedy, rich bastard so it being so exaggerated is more an extension of that. So is the trope itself something that needs to be retired in a modern context?

Oct 27, 2017
He has potential to be a really cool character. He fits really well with the "goth werewolf witch vampire" stuff they got going in this game.

Still, the merchent is THE merchent so it is hard to know how The Duke compares.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Just cause the 4 Merchant is cool I don't want him in everything except maybe as a guest character in GG Strive or Bloodborne Kart.

Valentonis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 8, 2020
I'm going to give him a chance. What made the Merchant for me wasn't really his look, but moreso his voice lines. If the Duke can give off a good performance I'll probably end up liking him.

Oct 30, 2017
Was there ever an explanation as to how the Merchant from RE4 was able to set up shop or transport his goods without getting attacked by the villagers?

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
If he's just obese and not that way for the sake of a joke I'm down. I kinda like the character design.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Soooo, I've played RE4 so many fucking times and always wonder the same. Is our mysterious merchant supposed to be Australian? I never really looked it up somehow.