• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Let's hear it folks: how do you really feel about this series plot?

• I genuinely like the story and characters. May my heart be my guiding key.

Votes: 136 25.6%
  • I like some of the characters but the story is too stupid and/or confusing to care about.

Votes: 141 26.6%
  • I'm all aboard Nomura's wild ride. Keep the nonsense going!

Votes: 97 18.3%
  • Dude, who cares if the story is good or not? I just want to play KH3.

Votes: 36 6.8%
  • KINGDUMB FARTS!

Votes: 121 22.8%

• Total voters

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has never played a KH game but sort of want to pick up the latest to play alongside my kids, would the story make any sense?

Afrocious

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has never played a KH game but sort of want to pick up the latest to play alongside my kids, would the story make any sense?

Honestly, I doubt it but don't let that stop you. Your kids may be captured by the games like we were when we were kids, and even if you don't get into it, they possibly could.

Deleted member 46429

Self-requested ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
It's a fun ride I unironically enjoy but good lord are there too many plot critical games.

I played all the games (or watched a movie) recently-ish so I'm prepared but if they do a new arc SE needs to make sure the narrative remains more accessible imp.

Alox12

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 23, 2019
No, but you can enjoy the story in the Disney worlds I suppose. I haven't played the game yet but I think their stories are only slighty intertwined with the main one

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has yet to play KH3, but has read a few reviews on it...no. There are some cinema modes that try to show you what happened in past games but apparently it doesn't do a great job according to reviews. Still, maybe pick it up later and just enjoy it for the combat and Disney worlds!

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Kingdom Hearts' story is one of the absolute biggest blunders in the last few decades of gaming altogether.

I mean, I still kind of like it in a weird way, but there's no reason for it to have become a trojan horse for Nomura's fever dream. It should showcase and let the Disney stuff come to the forefront.

Which is ironic when Disney which is the owner of those franchises and of Kingdom Hearts approved all of those decisions during those 15 years and is always happy about it. And why they shouldn't when not only it makes money for them on the games but also on license and merchandise?

Afrocious

Oct 27, 2017
Also screw the Disney stuff. Shit was always second to Ansem, Seeker of Darkness revealing he played Maleficient and y'all know this.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
A fun cast of characters surrounded by a plot too convoluted and poorly written to care about at all.

Nope. Your kids would probably enjoy the Disney parts and may even end up liking some of the characters.

If you really care about being into the story, it might be worth to check out one of the collections that includes KH1.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
All aboard baby. I like it. I've played every game. I'm ready.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Hard disagree. Especially on it being a blunder period. In that same line of thought, I cannot think of a video game series that is as old as KH with every game contributing to the overarching story as it does.

If anything, I think it's an accomplishment.

It's not really an accomplishment to barf out whatever the hell you're dreaming up at that particular time and call it a story.

I'd be fine if this was a new IP, but as I said it feels like he used Disney as a trojan horse to shove his chaotic nonsense into people's faces.

If you're writing a crossover story that involves a lot of other stories you should write extraneous things simpler especially when the main draws are those other characters and stories. You want to emphasize them not drown them out. That's what a good writer would do. As it stands I have no fucking clue why Disney let it go on this long. It's completely baffling.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
Personally the story is way more convulated than it needs to be.
Am I still going to play 3?
You betcha.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Love it, it's what keeps me coming back.

I'm extremely invested in these characters journey, it's crazy and amazing, there really is nothing quite like it.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

Absolutely not.

The story barely makes sense if you have played everything else. It may still be a fun game top pick up and play, but you have no hope of actually understanding the story without playing a bunch of other stuff or watching a ton of summaries.

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It's weird, went completely off the rails and it's charming as hell.
A fair comparison is Metal Gear Solid.
I love it.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I liked it in KH1 for the most part, but fell off partway through 2.

Not enough to quit playing, just isn't really why I'm here anymore.

Maybe if/when I get around to playing the other games I'll be able to appreciate it more.

takufox

Oct 27, 2017
I dont think of the story at all when I play these games. Too messy to put the effort in following. I just like the interactions between the characters and gameplay mainly.

Afrocious

Oct 27, 2017
Tbh I don't get where the Disney love comes from in this series because there's way better media out there specifically for interacting with Disney characters and such.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom Hearts's story has a number of obvious retcons and post-hoc additions to the lore to try and make sense of parts of the story that happened after the fact, and how it handles its female characters, particularly fekaoe heroes could certainly be improved. However, all the same, despite the ridiculousness of it and my complaints here and there, I love it anyway. Like, the OC characters and the like don't bother me at all and overall, I love the arcs of characters like Riku in particular and there's more I like than I dislike. So despite the complaints I may have here and there, I'm more positive than not overall.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not really an accomplishment to barf out whatever the hell you're dreaming up at that particular time and call it a story.

I'd be fine if this was a new IP, but as I said it feels like he used Disney as a trojan horse to shove his chaotic nonsense into people's faces.

If you're writing a crossover story that involves a lot of other stories you should write extraneous things simpler especially when the main draws are those other characters and stories. You want to emphasize them not drown them out. That's what a good writer would do. As it stands I have no fucking clue why Disney let it go on this long. It's completely baffling.

It's completely obvious. Because they're seeing success of the franchise not only in the games but license and merchandise. Besides, Nomura always needed to get approval from Disney in the beginning but after they saw the success, they mostly leave Nomura's creativity to flow and basically supervised the games. Disney is completely satisfied to the franchise and it shows, even if for some reason you want to ignore what's on your face. lol

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom Hearts's story has a number of obvious retcons and post-hoc additions to the lore to try and make sense of parts of the story that happened after the fact, and how it handles its female characters, particularly fekaoe heroes could certainly be improved. However, all the same, despite the ridiculousness of it and my complaints here and there, I love it anyway. Like, the OC characters and the like don't bother me at all and overall, I love the arcs of characters like Riku in particular and there's more I like than I dislike. So despite the complaints I may have here and there, I'm more positive than not overall.

The only female character that you can argue that is Kairi because she's the exception of the rule. Aqua, Xion, Naminé and the other girls were great on that regard.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was all for it untill KHDDD

The plot twists in that and in upcoming KH3 have forever thrown me off the series.

One can only take so much bull and My tank has overloaded

Oct 25, 2017
I like Roxas. Everything else is trash. Hell, even Roxas is trash considering what they did to him post KH II.

The games are great, though, so I don't really care. They're extremely "gamey", even though they have a ton of cutscenes, and while that was the norm back in the PS2 days, now it's extremely rare to find a AAA product that feels this "gamey". The levels just feel like videogame levels, the movement, combat and general pacing are not made to immerse you or whatever, they just want you to have a good time with some cool characters and fight cool bosses.

I don't even care about the majority of the Disney franchises involved, the games are just good. Especially II FM, and III seems to be fantastic too from all the spoilers I've seen.

I can skip the cutscenes and the dumb story issue is fixed, but I can't add amazing boss fights to other games.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
It's melodrama that is pretty enjoyable as camp nonsense. I wish the women had more to do in the cast, and there are so many unneeded subplots in the series, but ultimately I enjoy it semi-ironically.

OP
OP
Winston1

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I was all for it untill KHDDD

The plot twists in that and in upcoming KH3 have forever thrown me off the series.

One can only take so much bull and My tank has overloaded
I'm kind of in the same position, tbh. I was ready for KH3 to conclude the loose ends from BBS, but then came DDD and, well... You know what happened. Goddamn time travel.

I still like some of the characters and want to see a resolution for them, though.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
As someone who just played most of the games (KH1, KH2, KH BBS) and watched most of the movies (CoM, 358/2) I thought the story while silly, it wasn't that bad until Dream Drop Distance. I tried to play DDD but the game felt awful to play, so I decided to watch the game-movie, and holy shit! I feel that DDD is the one that really goes of-the-rails and makes absolutely no sense.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It has been nonsense from day one.

Like what is this Destiny Island shit. Where do these kids live, WHERE ARE THEIR PARENTS?

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The game has legitimately compelling characters that I seriously care about,k even among complicated plot points.

I mean like after playing through all the games, this scene still crushes me in KH2

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
It's a victim of Japanese storytelling tropes. Creators have a bad habit of building on stories by making them more/overly complex and convoluted as opposed to expansive and open for growth.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For me is a combination: I like some of the characters, mostly Disney stuff, but I'm mostly there for that beautiful trainwreck.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
It has been nonsense from day one.

Like what is this Destiny Island shit. Where do these kids live, WHERE ARE THEIR PARENTS?
Lol, this was actually addressed in subsequent games. The kids do not live on THE Destiny Island, they live on a nearby island in normal houses and just go to this one to play. In BBS, it was mentioned that Sora's dad (or maybe Riku's?) would bring them over as young children, but now as 16 year olds they assumedly go on their own. Still kinda wtf to let your kids go on boats by themselves to a different island, but more excusable anyway.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
I like 1 and 2 and despite all my bitching in other threads, I'm down for convoluted bullshit. But said bullshit has to be fun and interesting, and my biggest issue with KH is how flat and boring the main villain is despite all the time travel fuckery

OP
OP
Winston1

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lol, this was actually addressed in subsequent games. The kids do not live on THE Destiny Island, they live on a nearby island in normal houses and just go to this one to play. In BBS, it was mentioned that Sora's dad (or maybe Riku's?) would bring them over as young children, but now as 16 year olds they assumedly go on their own. Still kinda wtf to let your kids go on boats by themselves to a different island, but more excusable anyway.
That was already in KH1. In the cutscene where Sora's mom calls him for dinner, from his window you can see the small island off in the distance. And the kids travelling to the island on boats was also in KH1.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I voted for Kingdumb Farts because it's the closest option on the poll to "I do care if the story is good or bad, I wish KH has a decent story, but I'm in for the gameplay, music, Disney worlds, and fan service because I gave up on the stupid story darkness darkness friendship hearts hearts darkness.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went from not knowing anything about it to by the end of the summer playing through the whole franchise and being a fan. Super excited to play KH3 at midnight when it unlocks tonight. Ready to be a total mess by the end credits.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
There's a leap between going from saying figuratively that someone conducted research on a person to figure out the darkness in their hearts but to take it literally and base everything about this vague actually physical existence of "light and dark" inside of objects plus a million contrived plot-devices the story just becomes profoundly strange no matter how much it's supposed to make it magical.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who just played most of the games (KH1, KH2, KH BBS) and watched most of the movies (CoM, 358/2) I thought the story while silly, it wasn't that bad until Dream Drop Distance. I tried to play DDD but the game felt awful to play, so I decided to watch the game-movie, and holy shit! I feel that DDD is the one that really goes of-the-rails and makes absolutely no sense.
Agree. Story was a doddle to follow up until and including Birth by Sleep. Dream Drop Distance is comfortably my least favourite of the four core titles.

SbnaS

Sep 3, 2018
I genuinely find it confusing and convoluted, but I play the games for the different worlds. Most jrpgs I enjoy traveling from town to town and meeting new characters and geting new quests. Kingdom Hearts takes that idea but instead of new towns you get to visit Tron world or Mulans world.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The idea of Kingdom Hearts still sounds great to me on paper. It's just that it turned into Kingdumb Farts during execution.

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Antagonizing other users
What's your beef with Kingdom Hearts fans exactly? You were shitting on everyone in the other thread too.

Why do you get to decide what's "normal" exactly?
What the fuck are you talking about?

Are you talking about the thread where I interacted with a couple of people who came in swinging?

Whatever you're talking about, stay mad about it.

EDIT: I should say post quotes or retract your crybaby, derailing bullshit. Or I can crap on your dumb anime game if that's what gets you going.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the story is confusing as shit. However as I am taking my time playing through the series, I'm trying to at least retain information as well as making sense out of what is being presented. I don't think I truly will be able to make sense of it all, but all I can do is try. It helps that my boyfriend is a Kingdom Hearts stan and has already done the heavy lifting for me since this series has came out, so me asking questions and trying to make sense out of it, is currently being supported by his KH encyclopedic mind.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
i unironically enjoy it, it's dumb but i love it and the characters. genuinely entertaining as fuck all things considered.

nomura's wild ride is something else.

can't wait to start playing kh3 in a few hours tbqh.

First reply nailed it, this is pretty much exactly how I feel. I embrace Nomura's madness and I love the hell out of cheesy, overblown anime drama while recognizing that it's basically the storytelling equivalent of junk food.

I am SO ready for Kingdom Hearts III and the conclusion of this wonderful, weird, utterly captivating story I've been following for literally half of my life (17 years). I love the characters, especially Sora, to death and need to see where they all end up!

MY FRIENDS ARE MY POWER!