• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
The comments I see on blogs, youtube, and information websites; often give the feeling that some people genuinely believe they can handle anything: a documentary about poor people will have comments calling them out on how they spend the money in a very arrogant way .this is the same about health, society problems in general .

From saying lack of spirituality is a source of mental illnesses to projecting their own lives to solve social problems on a large scale, one line comments setting the world right are numerous.

Man up, real men know what to do, try Chinese medicine, they should learn how to save money are among the common lines solving any problems.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
it's just armchair analyst shit at the end of the day

everyone thinks they're hot shit

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
those aren't internet things
those things have existed literally forever in real life

Mar 29, 2018
A lot of this stuff comes down to having a dominant right brain hemisphere, which becomes addicted to making "clever" connections and thus believing it is clever

Got this belief from the work of this British neuroscientist who's research implies your left hemisphered handles linear thought (physical actions, concentrating on one thing, meditation, etc); while your right hemisphere handles parallel thought (planning, simultaneous actions, recognising parallels, making lateral/disparate connections). But you get endorphin hits from making "clever" connections (e.g. during the winter it becomes cold; or I saw lights in the sky but didn't know what they were so they're aliens) and your brain can actually get hooked on these thoughts.

With the internet making confirmation bias more powerful than ever, it can become possible to totally believe yourself to be an expert in any random nonsense because everything you read keeps feeding the "I am right" message your brain loves.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
its very often on this website (and yes, i know it's elsewhere too, probably even worse) that someone will post something with the utmost confidence

get destroyed and then say oh i was wrong

that's fine I guess, admitting you were wrong is better than a lot of people

but i just wanna know why you were so confident in putting it out there in the first place. you clearly don't know what you're talking about, don't you know you don't know anything about it? your options at that point are 1. Learn about it 2. shut up and leave because you don't provide anything. but somehow a third option appears! 3. say some dumb shit

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of this stuff comes down to having a dominant right brain hemisphere, which becomes addicted to making "clever" connections and thus believing it is clever

Got this belief from the work of this British neuroscientist who's research implies your left hemisphered handles linear thought (physical actions, concentrating on one thing, meditation, etc); while your right hemisphere handles parallel thought (planning, simultaneous actions, recognising parallels, making lateral/disparate connections). But you get endorphin hits from making "clever" connections (e.g. during the winter it becomes cold; or I saw lights in the sky but didn't know what they were so they're aliens) and your brain can actually get hooked on these thoughts.

With the internet making confirmation bias more powerful than ever, it can become possible to totally believe yourself to be an expert in any random nonsense because everything you read keeps feeding the "I am right" message your brain loves.
The irony here is palpable

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's too bad and it contributes to the argumentative nature of the internet, where every argument gets more and more precise and more people get divided along trivial lines. I like to think of how an argument/discussion is always so different at a bar, than when held online on the internet. Like, if you get talking to someone you don't know at a bar and you find out they may be from the opposite of the political spectrum as you, the argument is nearly always way better natured with way more give and take and a general sense of congeniality, than if that happens on the internet. Some of that is because people may have their "truer selves" or "they're dicks" on the internet, but, I think part of this "everybody is an expert online" thing contributes to it.

On the internet, you can google literally anything to make your point and find some source to back up some bias or preconceived notion that you have. And most arguments either become stalemates so you have to attack someone in a mean way, or you end up debating the veracity of sources... Or you come up with some littany of "Argument faux pas," which is why online so many people trod out the worn and tired rules of arguing using Latin phrases to describe things that that they think are violations of arguing. It's because arguing on the internet makes everything so precise that to get a leg up, you have to fall back on tired argument tropes and allegations. Everybody is an expert, everybody can find something that bolsters and supports their point of view, and then the argument moves from being about two viewpoints to being about ... whose sources are more accurate, or something, which most people aren't really experts on ... but that's another thing that you can become an expert on in a quick google search.

Now, some might think "Well there should never be a give and take when arguing with someone who is a political opposite of you! That's the Overton window at work!" But I think that approach is too internet, expert focused, and that you miss out on the opportunity to win small victories and slowly chip away at a hard exterior. I think the nature of the internet is generally making more people impenetrable, creating greater divisiveness, leading to more extreme view points, creating more rigidity and less common ground, less progress, more room for regression and defensiveness. I don't think that's a good thing, it sucks, but it's the world we live in now.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018
The irony here is palpable
tenor.gif

edit: in seriousness I didn't mean to come off as patronising or commanding of knowledge in that post - the scientist's research could be total bullshit and that would be fine, and I only know about it cos I've seen a couple of documentaries on it; I'm not a neuroscientist or anything. It sure does explain a lot though. And can be used to increase your own self-awareness.

Deleted member 57378

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
I dont know how much you know on this topic, but i have first hand knowledge (im an expert) dignity and shame are huge parts of it.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I trust an internet expert as about as far as I can throw them. Since they're on the internet, it's not far at all.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Perfect cultural state to expose my world class expertise on all things on all platforms unprovoked and unabashed.
Some of it is the Dunning-Kruger that someone mentioned, but I personally believe a good deal of it is the Just World Fallacy.

Take an example of all the things poor people are doing "wrong." A lot of people really need to believe that poor people have all done something to deserve being in that situation. After all, what's separating them from the poor couldn't just be luck, could it? That means they could easily be or have been poor, themselves.