• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm interviewing for a new job. Had a phone interview that went decently. Next they send me a test project to complete and return to them. They say there's no deadline but candidates typically take a few weeks to a month+ to complete it. Reading the requirements, it's going to be somewhat difficult and will definitely require a good number of hours of work to complete. Not sure how I feel about it. It will feel like a massive waste of time if I don't end up getting the role.

Have you ever been through something similar (either a take home test or an on-site test) as part of an interview? How do you feel about something like that?

Oct 25, 2017
Possibly a month of work that might not even get you the position?

I wouldn't do that shit unless I was desperate.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
The only thing an interview should ever have is a meeting between the applicant and the person(s) hiring.

No trial shifts, no role playing fantasy scenarios, no take-home work, no "if you were an animal what animal would you be" bullshit.

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
I thought multiple interviews was already taking the piss, but this is just asinine. It's so easy for them to ask this of you, and equally easy to just toss whatever you send back. This kind of shit is what probationary periods and training are for.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
A few hours is reasonable (and seems superior to the in-person whiteboard problem).

What exactly do you mean by "a month+"? Is that putting in a few hours on the weekend or working on it 9-5? Put it in number of hours.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, that sounds like absolute bullshit.

I agree that a project that takes an hour or two to finish sounds fine and, like the poster above mentioned, definitely better than the whiteboard stuff, but anything else is ridiculous.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did one recently that "should take me 2 hours", but they gave me 2 days. It seems fine, I've done them for a few roles and they tend to be part of many rigorous tech interview loops.

siddx

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Lol sounds like they figured out how to get people to do work for them without needing to pay them.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
A take home test that can take up to a month? What's that? A research paper on human Genome or stem cells? Theoretical physics? The meaning of life?

What's this job for anyway? Researcher?

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
The only thing an interview should ever have is a meeting between the applicant and the person(s) hiring.

No trial shifts, no role playing fantasy scenarios, no take-home work, no "if you were an animal what animal would you be" bullshit.
Thre reason why these were introduced was because it became clear that traditional interviews were often not resulting in the best people being hired. Some people are terrible at interviews yet highly competent, and some are really good at interviews but suck at their job. These kind of activities help identify this.

In this case however, it does sound as though the amount of work is far beyond what is reasonable. Non-interview based recruitment isn't a bad thing though.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
So I'm interviewing for a new job. Had a phone interview that went decently. Next they send me a test project to complete and return to them. They say there's no deadline but candidates typically take a few weeks to a month+ to complete it. Reading the requirements, it's going to be somewhat difficult and will definitely require a good number of hours of work to complete. Not sure how I feel about it. It will feel like a massive waste of time if I don't end up getting the role.

Have you ever been through something similar (either a take home test or an on-site test) as part of an interview? How do you feel about something like that?

If it's in the six figure salary range I'd say it's not unheard of. Generally it's not a test as such though it's more of a project or time given for you to come back and present something.as

The last time I had to do something like this was to show how I would restructure a Technical Division, head count cuts, process to be bought in(including training and velocity loss etc) distribution of labour to other divisions. They basically said to get back in touch when I was ready to present. It took me close to a month before I was happy with it.

For most technical hires I'm making now I just get them to sit an online test after a quick chat on the phone, if that goes well we get them in for a face to face and meet the team.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Don't fucking do it and put them on blast on Twitter, glassdoor, etc. Put pics of the test online too. No company should be allowed to get away with this shit.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're taking advantage of you for free work, take home tests should take a few hours at most.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
We do it for our coding positions. Usually something small and not central to our work. We do pay them a full time wage at the rate of the salary of the position we are loooking to hire them for.

As a small company (10 people), the overhead of hiring and then finding out the employee is not a good fit is prohibitively expensive.

Prophet Steve

Oct 26, 2017
I already have my doubts over the usefulness of an assignment for a few hours, but this just sounds super unreasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.