• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
I'm pissed that my ISP gave me a warning for downloading the mod on PC, lol. Especially now.

Oct 25, 2017
The intent for this one was supposed to be based on Sugiyama's involvement.
But he was always involved in the games in general. For all of his shittiness, all of his deplorable views, the main reason for the original backlash was because of his ironclad hold on his own music within Japan preventing any game released to have the original compositions. Now it's getting released outside, that's a selling point the other games did not have.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
It's terrible. I just bought the game on Steam not long ago and after hearing about the fixed version coming to Switch I regret getting it and will probably wait a really long time to buy any future DQ game.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
sugiyama being a nazi:
sugiyama being anti-lbgt:
sugiyama 'withhelding' the orchestrated soundtrack: THIS IS IT, I'M BOYCOTTING S-E

giphy.gif
omg so true. all these people posting in a thread about him being a terrible person and moaning about the fact that their games aren't getting patched

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I waited a year and am being charged full price, so yeah, the additions better be substantial to justify getting my money. Others felt the package warranted whatever they spent on it earlier, so I don't really have any sympathy.

Sugiyama's a piece of shit though. It's a shame the franchise is so storied at this point, that you likely couldn't remove him from future titles.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sad but what can you do about it except abstain from buying in protest?

Things like this make me feel very conflicted about whether supporting buying the game or not. Sugiyama is a valid reason for widespread boycotts but I still feel Nintendo advertising his work is something I've just kind of resigned to.

Makoto Yuki

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Make it free DLC for PS4, hell different sound tracks have been a selling point for many Square Enix joints. The PS4 version of FFX has the original soundtrack as exclusive content.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory generalisation + Platform Warring. History of similar infractions.
Nintendo knows their audience

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
As far as how I feel about it being used as a selling point: I guess the market will decide, right?

Personally, I am looking forward to this version and yes part of my interest is because of the soundtrack. Sugiyama's views are of course offensive. I won't be refusing to buy the game because of it, though.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
You're not getting the answers about the subject you wanted to bring up. People *wanted* the soundtrack regardless of what they think about Sugiyama.

Nintendo paid the money to Sugiyama and his company to use the orchestral soundtrack most likely, this is something that will end up having very little impact for consumers and is already seen as a net positive for the game. This money will probably be used to push war crime denying views and his discrimination against LGBTQ+ folks. It's already done at this point.
He was also paid for the original releases so I'm not sure what the distinction is really. That he got paid again? That would've happened anyway even if they'd used midi only again. Anyone who has a problem with this in DQXIS should have a problem with it in every DQ game.

At least DQXIS adds same sex "marriage". Eat it Sugi.

OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He was also paid for the original releases so I'm not sure what the distinction is really. That he got paid again? That would've happened anyway even if they'd used midi only again. Anyone who has a problem with this in DQXIS should have a problem with it in every DQ game.

It's less him getting paid and more of his music explitly being used as a selling point.

I plan on getting the game myself and I'm not going to shame anyone who plans to do so but it made me pause and think for a second when discussing things like a DQ character in Smash.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It's less him getting paid and more of his music explitly being used as a selling point.

I plan on getting the game myself and I'm not going to shame anyone who plans to do so but it made me pause and think for a second when discussing things like a DQ character in Smash.
His music is used as a selling point in literally every game too. He was a big deal before DQ.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like it, but Nintendo likely already paid him top dollar just to have his orchestrated music in the game. I'm not going to buy it, and if I do I'll buy it used, I refuse to put even a single penny in that man's pocket because I know said penny is going to be used to support war crime denying, homophobic activities.

Wait, what's this about it adding same sex "marriage"? And more importantly, can said "marriage" be with Erik?

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like it, but Nintendo likely already paid him top dollar just to have his orchestrated music in the game. I'm not going to buy it, and if I do I'll buy it used, I refuse to put even a single penny in that man's pocket because I know said penny is going to be used to support war crime denying, homophobic activities.

Wait, what's this about it adding same sex "marriage"? And more importantly, can said "marriage" be with Erik?
Yeah, Erik or Eight can be married.
You can also marry Jade or Serena.
Sylvando mysteriously enough can't be married.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

Living together and partnership. And yes Erik is one of the confirmed options.

Apr 16, 2018
I'm not buying the game again, so I don't care.

Orchestral or not, the soundtrack in DQXI is some of the worst dreck I've ever heard. The only song worth listening to is Heavenly Flight

Oct 27, 2017
Sugiyama is a gigantic piece of shit which also happens to be a very talented individual.

He has SE by the balls because imagine releasing DQ without its main theme (can they even do that?)

I dunno, I guess to have 'neutral karma' you could buy the game and donate to a pro LGBT cause.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Using something people asked for/said was lacking in a game to sell a new version of that game seems perfectly fine to me.
Irc lack of Orchestrated music was one of the most common issues cited in reviews, and its not like nobody knew who these orchestrated soundtracks are made by.

SE wont change composer on DQ, and people clearly wont stop wanting Orchestrated DQ music, so the best thing we can do is hope Sugiyama's dies as fast as possible, so DQ can be free of him.

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
the thing i'm wondering is why the soundtrack didn't come in the first western release if it was already in the original JP version.

like, what did Nintendo do that Sony didn't do?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
the thing i'm wondering is why the soundtrack didn't come in the first western release if it was already in the original JP version.

It wasn't in the Japanese version. Only the re-releases have had orchestral soundtracks in Japan.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I only like a handful of Sugiyama's compositions, and even then, I tend to like his work on Dragon Quest less than his work elsewhere. Since he's a colossal asshole on top of that, I'd be perfectly fine with him and his music being left in the trash. Hell, I'd be ecstatic if I didn't have to hear that fucking into song for every single Dragon Quest thing. I don't know why it grates on me worse than just about any other video game theme song, but it does.

But I can't really be surprised by him being a selling point. Maybe we could push for his music being taken out of international versions, but unfortunately Dragon Quest is an iconic series and Sugiyama's considered part of its core identity, so I think he's too powerful within his home territory.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I'd like to know more on the reasons why the orchestral soundtrack is being included on this localisation but not the previous one. If the reason is Nintendo personally lining Sugiyama's pockets to do so then it's obviously very disappointing.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just wonder why changing between the two is even an option. Everyone's going orchestral because it sounds so much better.

Nope, and most people won't care.
Best thing to do is wait for him to die (he's 87 so sooner rather than later)
Probably a condition by Sugiyama that the MIDI track be included, and be enabled by default

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I wonder if Nintendo personally paid Sugiyama to do this, or they are old friends, or that was the plan from the start.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland

First of all, the orchestrated soundtrack didnt come with the original JP version.
S will be the first game to get it period.

As for how Nintendo did it, Probably by applying that special magic that got them the Orchestrated soundtrack in the 3DS version of 8.
I think its a combination of giving massive Marketing in the West(lets be honest, DQ11s appearing in the Direct and getting as much airtime as Fire Emblem is probably more marketing than what Sony did last year, and it also probably wont be thrown under the bus for a Nintendo FP title, like how Sony did with Spiderman releasing so close) and the release itself being later on(cause the first Nintendo release of DQ11(the 3DS version) also didnt get the Orchestrated soundtrack) that allowed for this release.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if Nintendo personally paid Sugiyama to do this, or they are old friends, or that was the plan from the start.
SE produced and published the game so I doubt it. Nintendo's just publishing it overseas like they did for the other DQ games on 3DS and Switch.

SE talked about adding stuff to late Switch ports for DQ specifically before to encourage new purchases. This is sort of business as usual for them. At most Nintendo might've paid extra to use the orchestrated soundtrack overseas this time given it didn't happen for VII & VIII 3DS.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
If I had to guess, I'd wager that no one in the decision making part of Nintendo or Square Enix gives a shit, and I wouldn't be surprised if they'd never even thought about it in the first place.

But I don't feel good about it.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
It's not really any more shitty just because they're using actual instruments this time.