• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gatsbits

Oct 28, 2018
Virtua Racing was great. Finally other retro titles will releases also on Xbox and Playstation ....

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
Damn I really hoped they'd release Virtua Fighter.

Every release has been perfect this far. I just wish they'd patch Outrun so that we could use a larger classic display mode undocked. I wanted more games though...

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Yeah it does seem a bit torturous that we start every generation getting genesis games and have never gotten Saturn or Dreamcast era stuff with any regularity.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
MEGASALT

We didn't even get Saturn or Dreamcast.

We didn't even get translated ports of the AGES version of Phantasy Star 2 and 3

This kind of crappy management is why they lost the console war in the first place! So many cool ass tiles being squandered. Its like they hate money.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy with what we got, but the writing was on the wall for a while. Especially with the larger collection existing, lol.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
As usual, they focused on their boring Mega Drive/Master System/System 16 safe zone with very few outliers.

Everytime we hope for more System 32/Saturn/Model 1/Model 2 stuff we just end up getting nothing.

Now, i don't know what's coming next, but it really doesn't need to be Switch-only.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Agreed. But, then again, Herzog Zwei is welcome. So are the QOL changes to Phantasy Star.

I bought everything in the collection fwiw. There are lots of glaring arcade omissions.
Same, I bought them all. And yeah, PS1 was great and surprisingly playable with the QOL updates and finally getting Tecnosoft releases a huge plus.

I also feel like maybe had M2 gone back to franchise collections instead (like on Sega Ages PS2) with less extra stuff bolted on each individual title then maybe things wouldn't feel like so much is missing. After how long 3D Classics went and covered this definitely feels like more of a letdown overall.

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from Virtua Racing and G-LOC Air Battle, there was nothing particularly interesting about the lineup, and all the rest were the same Mega Drive, System C, and System 16 games we've kept seeing on prior re-release platforms. Why were there no System 32 games? ST-V or Saturn games? Thunder Force V? Hell, even failing to put out Virtua Fighter 1 despite doing the work of getting Model 1 board emulation working is embarrassing.

You can argue about the emulation quality of the much larger Mega Drive/Genesis collection, but from a layman's perspective, why would anyone buy these Switch-exclusive rehashed games over that compilation?

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Same, I bought them all. And yeah, PS1 was great and surprisingly playable with the QOL updates and finally getting Tecnosoft releases a huge plus.

I also feel like maybe had M2 gone back to franchise collections instead (like on Sega Ages PS2) with less extra stuff bolted on each individual title then maybe things wouldn't feel like so much is missing. After how long 3D Classics went and covered this definitely feels like more of a letdown overall.

I think "franchise" or "system/genre" collections would have worked out a lot better. some games are going to sell great at that price point (i'd imagine the sonic games and PS1 did fine, for example) whereas other titles... not so much.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Wish they would skip re-releasing the same Mega Drive games 9000 times.

Do a proper SG1000 or Mark III collection, Sega made almost all the games for those systems.

Or just do arcade games only.

I just can't imagine who wanted two Puyo games...

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Porting was great, should've skipped the genesis staples(the gems are appreciated, everyone should buy Herwog Zwei).
My main hope is that one of these new iniative man they're moving onto is a dedicated Saturn/Dreamcast or at least mid 90's arcade line

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it does seem a bit torturous that we start every generation getting genesis games and have never gotten Saturn or Dreamcast era stuff with any regularity.

Not true. Sega Ages 2500 (+ NiGHTS and Sega Rally were on PS2) and PSN/XBLA has plenty of Saturn and Dreamcast

Sega Ages Switch IMO was one of the weaker efforts by M2 IMO. 3D Classics had its place due to the 3D feature, Sega Ages 2500 was way more varied. I appreciate the arcade games avaible in the Yakuza series more (VF2, FV, Virtual On, Motor Raid)

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Not really surprising tbh.

It focused on MD and early arcade games as usual. It would be nice to get some stuff out of this era like Saturn titles or later arcade titles (like Revenge Of Death Adder or modified ports of Afterburner Climax and Outrun 2 if they don't want to mess with licenses).

Maybe next time they can just release a collection of the M2 ports or just do some simpler stuff like the arcade archives series to pump out more of them.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
You could see it coming a mile away.

Virtua Racing, Phantasy Star were some personal highlights, the untapped potential is crushingly huge. I just hope M2 gets to continue to work on interesting stuff.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Sega are the worst.

Virtua Racing and Phantasy Star were like a glimpse of what could have been, a mixture of exciting (and enhanced!) arcade releases we hadn't seen much of before and awesome QOL improved console games. Imagine if it was full of games like them??

But nar, despite having a bunch of games people are BEGGING them for, let's just put mostly the same shit we've already had over and over and wonder why it doesn't sell as much as we had hoped.

Sega are the worst.

Oct 30, 2017
the ports themselves were great, but not really a leap over what we had on 3DS (virtua racing aside), and there are so many sega arcade games that i would buy on switch that i currently have no way to play other than inside virtual sega arcades in various yakuza games. what are we even doing here.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Sega are the worst.

Virtua Racing and Phantasy Star were like a glimpse of what could have been, a mixture of exciting (and enhanced!) arcade releases we hadn't seen much of before and awesome QOL improved console games. Imagine if it was full of games like them??

But nar, despite having a bunch of games people are BEGGING them for, let's just put mostly the same shit we've already had over and over and wonder why it doesn't sell as much as we had hoped.

Sega are the worst.

Tell me where else you can get Thunder Force IV? Thunder Force AC? Herzog Zwei? Arcade Gain Ground? I mean, it sucks to get Sonic 1 and 2 again but... this hyperbole is all over this thread. I get people want more 3D racers, I do too, I get people want Saturn games, I do too, but there are some great titles that don't really get as much exposure as they should in these releases.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame that they ended so soon. While I know that people are going to focus on them rereleasing Sonic again, they were doing good work to either tap into stuff that didn't get as much attention in the past, were in desperate need of new versions, or at least resurfaced long lost things in games that had been rereleased. I was hoping to see M2 get to do more of this with the line, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens with Sega and M2 next. I doubt this is the end of them working together.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phantasy Star was the highlight of the Switch Sega Ages games for me because the new features made it feel fresh, and it was cool reading about people playing and loving it for the first time.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
8d4.jpg

I was waiting for more System32 stuff like Outrunners, Virtua Fighter 2, Puyo Puyo SUN and Revenge of Death Adder. They done fucked up.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Not true. Sega Ages 2500 (+ NiGHTS and Sega Rally were on PS2) and PSN/XBLA has plenty of Saturn and Dreamcast

Sega Ages Switch IMO was one of the weaker efforts by M2 IMO. 3D Classics had its place due to the 3D feature, Sega Ages 2500 was way more varied. I appreciate the arcade games avaible in the Yakuza series more (VF2, FV, Virtual On, Motor Raid)

You are correct, but the issue is that alongside the change of console generations (at least on Sony platforms), these games are more difficult to maintain access to because of lack of BC. I suppose, beyond XBox, it would be nice to release these titles on digital PC storefronts.

I guess what I'm talking about more is that we regularly get re-releases of titles like Comix Zone and Vectorman, but haven't seen things like Bug! Or Clockwork Knight.

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
This is demonstrably untrue but I guess if you don't get the game you want, it sucks. This reminds me of the threads when NSO updates with some cool, left-field obscurities and we get people whining about DKC2 or Chrono Trigger.
I think what people are getting at is the narrow scope of the releases, because while it is technically true that Thunder Force III/AC hasn't been *digitally* re-released all that recently, it was on the Mega Drive/Genesis Mini in all regions. I'll also just say that porting System 14/C Board games and going "well it's not technically Mega Drive games" is basically semantics at its core.

For context (more for the entire thread), Sega of course had a big family of arcade hardware in addition to their home console lineup, and here are the systems covered in the Sega Ages programme on Switch:
Sega Master System/Mark III
Alex Kidd in Miracle World (1986) - Re-released for the PS3/360 and Virtual Console
Phantasy Star (1987) - Re-released for the Mega Drive, Saturn, PS2, PS3/360, and Virtual Console

Sega Mega Drive
Sonic The Hedgehog (1991) - Numerous ports and re-releases up to and including current-gen consoles and PC
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (1992) - Numerous ports and re-releases up to and including current-gen consoles and PC
Thunder Force IV (1992) - Ported to Saturn as part of Thunder Force Gold Pack 2
Herzog Zwei (1989) - Nintendo Switch Sega Ages marks the first re-release of this game.

Unique Super Scaler Hardware (incl. X and Y Boards)
Space Harrier (1985) - Ported to Master System, 32X, Saturn, PS2, Nintendo 3DS, PS3/360, among others
OutRun (1986) - Ported to Master System, Mega Drive, Saturn, PS2, Nintendo 3DS, PS3/360, among others
After Burner II (1987) - Ported to Mega Drive, 32X, Saturn, PS2, Nintendo 3DS, PS3/360, among others
G-LOC: Air Battle (1990) - Ported to Master System and Mega Drive (Sega Ages Switch is really the first close-to-arcade port)

Sega System 2
Wonder Boy in Monster Land (1987) - Ported to Master System and other home computers of the era, also released via Virtual Console

Sega System 14/System C (essentially a Mega Drive-like arcade board)
Columns II: The Voyage Through Time (1990) - No official home ports, though obviously very similar to Columns I and III on the Mega Drive. Eventually ported to the Saturn as part of Columns Arcade Collection.
Thunder Force AC (1990) - Essentially just an arcade conversion of the Mega Drive game Thunder Force III, with a couple altered stages and added sound effects. Also ported to the Saturn as part of Thunder Force Gold Pack 2 and included on the Mega Drive Mini.
Puyo Puyo (1992) - Ported to the Mega Drive and re-released on Virtual Console
Puzzle & Action: Ichidant-R (1994) - Ported to Mega Drive, Saturn, PS2, and re-released on Virtual Console
Puyo Puyo Tsuu (1994) - Ported to the Mega Drive, Saturn, and re-released on Virtual Console

Sega System 16
Fantasy Zone (1986) - Ported/adapted for the Master System, PC Engine, PS2, 3DS, and re-released on Virtual Console.
Shinobi (1986) - Ported to the Master System, PC Engine, and re-released on Xbox 360 and the Virtual Console

Sega System 24
Gain Ground (1988) - Ported to Master System, PC Engine, Mega Drive, re-released on Virtual Console, as well as compilations on PS2, PS3/360, and PS4/XBO/Switch

Sega Model 1 "CG Board
Virtua Racing (1992) - Ported/re-made for Mega Drive, 32X, Saturn, and PS2

So, to summarise--With the lone exception of Herzog Zwei, every game in the lineup has had a re-release or adaptation at some point, and the only ones you can really point to as not having a relatively-close conversion are Virtua Racing and G-LOC: Air Battle. Aside from these, 10 of the 20 games are from the Master System, Mega Drive, or Mega Drive-equivalent arcade boards (which also have Mega Drive ports of their own). The point I and others were making is not so much about the worth of Thunder Force IV, as it's a great shmup and with only one other port it's harder to come by, but the majority of games here are just blatant re-hashes of past compilations.

This is a stark contrast to the upcoming Astro City Mini, which already came out of the gate with Model 1 Virtua Fighter and System 32 games that have *never* seen a home port full stop like Dark Edge and Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder. To say it's just "not getting the games you want" is disingenuous, because there are genuinely a lot of games here we've seen before.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
This is a stark contrast to the upcoming Astro City Mini, which already came out of the gate with Model 1 Virtua Fighter and System 32 games that have *never* seen a home port full stop like Dark Edge and Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder. To say it's just "not getting the games you want" is disingenuous, because there are genuinely a lot of games here we've seen before.

Incredible that you're calling my point disingenuous when, in your same post you state:

but the majority of games here are just blatant re-hashes of past compilations.

Is Phantasy Star with QoL improvements and the FM soundtrack in English a "rehash"? Alex Kidd with FM sound? How about Virtua Racing with online? Puyo Puyo Tsuu with online? Arcade Shinobi with the AGES mode?

Are we really talking about the port availability of ThunderForce IV on a Japan only compilation pack? Ichidant-R which was never released in the West? I feel like your skirting around semantics in order to make a point here? "Released to death" entails something that is just that-- and if you're having to look up ports from the 16 and 32-bit gens (like the PC-Engine ones that weren't even made by SEGA), that's a stretch. Even the games that have been re-released often have new features...

Of course I think the line was ultimately a let down. There are so many more games that should have been prioritized than others, the release schedule sucked, the releases themselves would have probably benefited from being in compilations at a higher price point rather than piecemealed like with the initial 3DS releases of its comparable line. This thread is RIFE with hyperbole about the quality of the titles-- which is unfair. These are (mostly) great games.

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
Incredible that you're calling my point disingenuous when, in your same post you state:

Is Phantasy Star with QoL improvements and the FM soundtrack in English a "rehash"? Alex Kidd with FM sound? How about Virtua Racing with online? Puyo Puyo Tsuu with online? Arcade Shinobi with the AGES mode?

Are we really talking about the port availability of ThunderForce IV on a Japan only compilation pack? Ichidant-R which was never released in the West? I feel like your skirting around semantics in order to make a point here? "Released to death" entails something that is just that-- and if you're having to look up ports from the 16 and 32-bit gens (like the PC-Engine ones that weren't even made by SEGA), that's a stretch. Even the games that have been re-released often have new features...

Of course I think the line was ultimately a let down. There are so many more games that should have been prioritized than others, the release schedule sucked, the releases themselves would have probably benefited from being in compilations at a higher price point rather than piecemealed like with the initial 3DS releases of its comparable line. This thread is RIFE with hyperbole about the quality of the titles-- which is unfair. These are (mostly) great games.

Re: Thunder Force, I'm happy to admit the 32-bit ports are harder to come by (because they are), but at least 14 (70%) of these games were re-released in one form or another as recently as last generation--while I appreciate the added features in M2's efforts here, and Phantasy Star is a shining example given the age of the game, it's pretty undeniable that these are tertiary improvements to what is fundamentally the same game that was ported in the past. In terms of the presentation of each individual game, of course it's well done, but as an entire body of work designed to presumably get people interested in buying these games, it's just not very smart.

On the whole, do you really think the sort of Sega fan who is excited about Sega Ages as a concept is interested in Master System Alex Kidd with FM sound? In a vacuum perhaps, sure, it's a cool thing to have, but even within the comparatively limited scope of 2D Sega games from the late 80s and early 90s (as opposed to what others are saying about Saturn or Dreamcast games) I don't think it's on most Sega fans' radar as a hot item. Previous surveys Sega themselves have conducted seem to reflect that as well.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'll say it again - Sega are an incompetently run company. There's very clearly a good amount of demand for more games in the series past the Genesis and the fact they won't capatalise on it is shocking. The perception that SEGA AGES were mere rehashes - which made some hesitetent to buy the games - could've been dispelled by being more ambitious with their game choices. I like Sonic 1, but I don't need to buy it for the 30th time.

Then again, this is the company that only just realised they could make good money off PC ports...

Oct 31, 2017
What still gives me hope is they might be ending ages but not ending bringing there old ips! What If really there doing is remastering some of the others say like outrun 2 , Daytona, crazy taxi, space harriers etc. Saturn/dreamcast titles.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Every time they do a re-release series, they say they'll get to Saturn and Dreamcast eventually, but it never happens. I'm not surprised at all.
Someone put a curse on Sega so now they can only rerelease Genesis games on consoles. It's crazy that they can't just drop a slightly enhanced Sonic or NiGHTS on the Switch.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hope they get a formula to bring more 3D games to Switch while still make sense business side.

I really thought VF was a lock after Virtua Racing. I enjoyed Switch line up of Sega Ages games but 3DS one was far superior

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dreamcast games never being re-released is an exaggeration. Shenmue I & II and Rez have current gen console versions, and Steam still sells Space Channel 5 Part 2, Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure series, and Jet Set Radio which can be played on modern PCs. The Saturn is more in need of re-releases.

Deleted member 19742

Oct 27, 2017
Well, this sucks. I was really hoping to see more, and I had my fingers crossed for Saturn and Dreamcast stuff.

Deleted member 77046

Banned
Aug 4, 2020
I was really hoping for more Phantasy Star at least but the first game is super nice so I can't be too disappointed.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
gonna repeat others here - i adore M2 & would happily rebuy some of these if they put em on a cart, but this could've been more arcade titles and others that don't see rereleases as often

Release your Saturn shit already, SEGA.

also this, jesus christ
guardian heroes, nights, fighting vipers etc last gen were great, we need so much more though

Woylie

May 9, 2018
I just hope this ends up leading to re-releases of Dreamcast games like Sonic Adventure, Jet Set Radio, and Crazy Taxi on Switch - it's definitely time for those to make their way over. Also I know it won't happen, but I really wish that Genesis Collection would get patched to fix the input lag and other issues - if the emulation was better it'd be an amazing value. I did play Shining Force through it, so that was nice, but the Sonic games and any other action-focused games are not very playable.

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
Dreamcast games never being re-released is an exaggeration. Shenmue I & II and Rez have current gen console versions, and Steam still sells Space Channel 5 Part 2, Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure series, and Jet Set Radio which can be played on modern PCs. The Saturn is more in need of re-releases.

Only three games on current-gen consoles and only 8 games in the most generous interpretation of 'current' is still pretty abysmal. By that logic you can say Guardian Heroes, Radiant Silvergun, Virtua Fighter 2, Fighting Vipers, and Daytona USA being available on Xbox BC is 'current' for Saturn fans.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Releasing these exclusively on the Switch at $5/$8 a pop, and mostly limiting the run to an 8- and 16-bit era, right next to a $20 yearly pass for a boatload of NES and SNES fare that more people have heard of and demanded, was Robotnik levels of stupid.