• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'm sure there are other examples but those are the first two that spring to mind. Essentially games that are designed to recall the look and feel of their predecessors that are based on old hardware. (I guess Sonic Mania comes kinda close to this...)

I really enjoyed these games and also liked when they pushed the envelope on the visuals to do stuff that was technically impossible to do on an NES, but still felt authentic. The soundtrack was excellent too with those chiptunes.

When 9 first was announced there was a lot of hype given how long it had been since a new Classic Mega Man as well as the throwback to the original style, though some felt it was holding the series back (especially as the slide and Charge Shot weren't included). 11 came out and "advanced" the series in a more fitting manner, but honestly I've never felt any of the post-NES Mega Man games have really delivered a whole package as satisfying as 9 and 10. The spritework is still endlessly charming and they've never quite nailed a sound as iconic as the original chiptune stuff. I also think the level design and multiple playable characters were better overall, but that has nothing do with the retro style.

Would you like to see more of these kind of games in other franchises? Is this a fun novelty style or just shameless nostalgia bait?

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Wish we got more of them. I learned to like MM11, but the crummy art-style and music were a tough pill to swallow.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Hell yeah. I often think about how good an N64-styled Banjo-Tooie sequel would be, but it doesn't seem like anyone else wants that, unfortunately. imo the graphical style holds up perfectly in HD and has that mega nostalgia charm, I don't really see the need for something like an HD remake.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
Those are two of the best Mega Man games. I think the time for saying that aesthetic "has kind of come and gone" has somewhat ironically also come and gone and now it's just another style that can be used effectively like anything else. The Bloodstained Curse of the Moon games are another good example of this.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Found it endearing at the time, but I'm kinda over it. Thought it was a cute one time thing but wasn't pleased when Mega Man 10 repeated it.

Theoretically going back to a newer style with 11 was what I wanted, but I did not like the style of 11 at all.

OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Hell yeah. I often think about how good an N64-styled Banjo-Tooie sequel would be, but it doesn't seem like anyone else wants that, unfortunately. imo the graphical style holds up perfectly in HD and has that mega nostalgia charm, I don't really see the need for something like an HD remake.

I want that!

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
MM9 is probably my favorite MM game over all.

Sonic Mania is a top 5 Sonic game. I wish we would get franchise sequels/revivals this way.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
Not a fan. When the original games came out they did the best they could with the technology at hand. Just making it look exactly like it used to, as if to say that's what the series is supposed to look like, is disappointing to me.

Sonic Mania is slightly better since instead of emulating Genesis graphics, it tried to be what Sonic would look like if it continued on Saturn.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Loved them. Mega Man 9 is the best classic Mega Man, and Sonic Mania is the 2nd best Sonic game. I want X9 to look and play like the SNES or Saturn/PS1 games too.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
I wish we got a Castlevania in that vein. We kinda did with Adventure Rebirth, but man. I need me a new Classicvania

Bloodstained felt very shallow and the level design and bosses just didn't live up to what I expect from Castlevania.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mega Man 9 is the best Mega Man game.

Sonic Mania is the best Sonic the Hedgehog game.

Gimme more retro sequels.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
If it's a good game, then it's a good game. The nostalgia factor doesn't mean much to me, in and of itself. Mega Man 9 and 10 were great, and 11 was too. I don't have a preference for either style as long as the platforming action is solid.

Alexandr0s

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, Washington, USA
I love the idea and would like to see more of them. If I think about many of the games I'd want sequels to, they've already kinda been done but with upgraded graphics. Super Mario World 3? Isn't this basically the New SMB series or Mario Maker games (although I would love to see a direct sequel to Super Mario World). New Streets of Rage 2? This is exactly what Streets of Rage 4 accomplished. A follow-up to Symphony of the Night? We got 6 of them in the form of the GBA and DS games.

As far as Mega Man 9 and 10 go, am I the only one that found Mega Man 9 extremely difficult compared to 2-6? I played all 8 levels and couldn't beat a single one, even though I've beat Mega Man 2-5 (with save states at Dr. Wily's castles).

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Mega Man 9 is by far my favourite in the series and I also think Sonic Mania is one of the best 2D Sonic games, so I'm quite happy with modern retro sequels as long as they have the right people working on it that understand the appeal of the original games. Hand drawn titles like Streets of Rage 4, Shantae Half Genie Hero and Rayman Origins are also welcome.

The one thing I don't want to see any more of is sequels or spirital successors that look like NSMB, Sonic 4, Bloodstained, Rocket Knight, Mega Man 11 etc. - that really low budget 3D on a 2D plain that immediately makes you think of 2000s shovelware.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the idea and would like to see more of them. If I think about many of the games I'd want sequels to, they've already kinda been done but with upgraded graphics. Super Mario World 3? Isn't this basically the New SMB series or Mario Maker games (although I would love to see a direct sequel to Super Mario World). New Streets of Rage 2? This is exactly what Streets of Rage 4 accomplished. A follow-up to Symphony of the Night? We got 6 of them in the form of the GBA and DS games.

As far as Mega Man 9 and 10 go, am I the only one that found Mega Man 9 extremely difficult compared to 2-6? I played all 8 levels and couldn't beat a single one, even though I've beat Mega Man 2-5 (with save states at Dr. Wily's castles).
Yes, Mega Man 9 is probably the hardest game in the series, although I think MM1 is the most frustrating.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
With Mega Man in particular, it was a revelation. That series' best games are those with the classic style, and it was refreshing to return to form and get back to what makes the series good.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
I do like em in general (particularily Sonic Mania). Although I think my preference is less "just do the exact same thing" and more "what if this a sequel that was released a year aftewards". Like a hypothetical continuation that never happened, including refinements on the mechanics and some of the visuals (but as if it were still on the systems of the time)

Sonic Mania did that very well by keeping it very close to the genesis style, but both the visuals and gameplay feel it could've been a hidden 2D saturn game, and that's one thing I love so much about it.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
They're a nice novelty that shouldn't be overused. Doing it back-to-back with Mega Man 9 and 10 was already too much. I loved 9, but felt like 10 should've done more to evolve the series.

I'm glad MM11 did something else both graphically and mechanically. They can make more throwback games later, but I feel like even MM12 would be too soon.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
MM9 was dope, but a little too in love with being "NES HARD." Ended up being harder than the NES games.

I like the concept in general. I still want games like MM11 made, though.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Preferred 10 over 9. I didn't like them going full Classic which includes the way you change weapons. I liked tapping L or R to get to my weapon of choice instead of having to pause everytime. Though 11's weapon wheel is superior. Main gripes with 11 was Mega Man himself. Feels that he animates weird. Also music instrumentation should have had a chip tune option.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
as a guy who was a kid in the 80's, these are unbelievably amazing. but i wouldn't hold it against younger gamers who don't see the appeal

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
When done well, I really love them. MM9 and 10 especially I feel are two of the best games in the series, 9 especially just feels so damn solid with its level design, soundtrack and bosses. I got pretty damn good on that game back when it was released. To be honest, my main requirements for a new MM game then (and now) is just make a good game in terms of levels and dont water the difficulty down (difficulty levels are fine, as long as there's a hard mode for me) and 9 nailed that, ditto 10.
I do remember there was some complaints at the time how both games didn't give MM his slide or charge shot but I was happy that they stripped it all back to just a solid MM2 like experience (without some of the random BS that 2 had - like how runs against Air or Quick Man were impossible to no damage run if certain circumstances occur).
11 though I might love even more - I just loved the new mechanics and bosses in that one so much. So I can definitely appreciate when they go for that NES styled nostalgia, but dont mind if they try doing something else. Variety and all that. I do hope that any X9 that may occur doesnt go for SNES styled graphics though, I feel X4 looks better with its gorgeous levels and sprites, but really I expect them to do similar to GnG and MM - make them 2D but not sprite based.

Likewise as already mentioned Sonic Mania was excellently executed with its use of MD graphics, though improving them beyond what the MD could handle. It was the perfect fusion really.

Konami of all companies had a few good retro styled revivals on the Wii with Contra and Castlevania (regrettably I didn't grab the Gradius rebirth game). Likewise, with Way Forward they managed to knock out a really good Contra 4 in the style of the 16 bit games.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I love it and agree that it would be nice to see more of this. Beats the style they use in something like New Super Mario Bros. at least.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Never been a fan of 8-bits graphics. 30 years ago, I thought it looked like crap and I still do today.
Sadly, MM9 is probably the best MM game but the artstyle prevents me from completely enjoying it.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
MM9 is a strong contender of being my favourite classic-style Mega Man game. The stages and robot masters were creative and had cool gimmicks, and the music was dope as hell. I can understand folks being a little disappointed in the visual presentation, but I didn't mind too much. 10 wasn't bad, but I don't think I've played it more than once.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I like that it's more Megaman but don't like them because it feels like they've given up on innovating the series.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I love them, when they're done right. MM9/10, Sonic Mania and even Castlevania ReBirth have been mentioned a bunch, but one that I think doesn't get nearly as much love as it should is Blaster Master Zero. Incredible game.

That said, I think Sonic Mania's approach of being a hypothetical 2D Saturn game was the most interesting. It definitely felt like a natural evolution in the visual/aesthetics department to what would've been the most recent 2D entries at that point (3&K & Chaotix)

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
For the time I enjoyed Mega Man 9 & 10. But now I would love if they did 16 bit or 32 bit style retro sequels like Mega Man 7/X & 8/X4 instead. 8-bit graphics really don't do much for me anymore.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Mega Man 9 was incredible (10 was good, but I like 9 quite a bit more), so yes please.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One is ok

Hated how both 9 and 10 actually walked back features of the series instead of improving upon them. And then added back skills as dlc with protoman.

11 was amazing and I would love more in that vein. Special weapons are at their best in that series since all of them served a double purpose.

Power and speed gears are also something I hope will be main stays as its an interesting variation on X's charged special weapons.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Gonna go with the majority and say I loved them too. 9 and 10 were a blast. I wasn't too interested in 11. Never finished it.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They were great esp. considering the series has now moved on to 3D. I always thought the style of 7 and 6 were a miss. Better suited to X. When I think classic Mega Man, I think the NES incarnation. Having both in 16-bit+ styles simultaneously felt redundant.

I wish we'd get more "retro" sequels. Whether as spin-offs, sub-series, midquels or what have you. Retro RE and FF games would be great. I'm very happy that Eiyuden is in the style of S1-2 but modernized.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
I thought Mega Man 9 going retro was a cool one-off idea, but I don't think every Mega Man game should be like that. The Mega Man series really pushed the limits of 2D graphics on the NES, SNES, Saturn, PS1, and GBA. A lot of the Mega Man series titles are gorgeous games with awesome soundtracks. Intentionally limiting the series to NES-style graphics and music goes against what the series has traditionally been.

I love Mega Man 11. I think its approach was a fantastic choice for the direction of the series. It channels the style and personality of the older games while innovating on the gameplay and looking good.

I'm more of a fan of the X and Zero series anyways, so I've never been particularly attached to the graphics of the NES Mega Man games.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Mega Man was an interesting one for me, because I felt like the NES games were better than the later Mega Man and MMX games in pretty much every way. So I was incredibly excited when MM9 was announced (and coincidentally I had just played through the entire Mega Man series for the first time right before MM9's announcement).

But retro inspired games, like any other games, can have varying levels of quality. For example, Castlevania the Adventure Rebirth was really fun, but rather forgettable IMO. So because of that, I am not really clamoring for retro inspired games of other franchises, only because for most games I don't think were really that much better in the old days; Mega Man was one of the few for me.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Incredible games but 10 is easily the better of the two. The weapons are much much better, have far more utility in stages and the game is just generally more interesting. Mega Man 11 was really really good too though, especially on later playthroughs when you actually know what to do with boss weapons.

I'm all for the idea of more stuff like this. Sonic Mania Plus is probably the best Sonic game, the two 2D Bloodstained games are super fun, the newer Blaster Master games are really fun, the new Monster Boy game was absolutely amazing. Bring em on.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I like MM9 and 10 a lot more than 11, tho it's more because the level design of the stages and core gameplay than anything else.

I'm kind of indifferent to production values so i'm all for these retro entries, if only because they are cheap enough to be more viable.