• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
I'm watching Black Lightning right now, and am enjoying the show so far. I'm in Season 2, atm, but I'm not that familiar with the DC universe. Are there gods and what not, like Thor, in this universe? I've listened to Annisa constantly say "This is a blessing from God" and Jennifer saying "How do you know it's not from the devil?

It makes sense that religion is a big part of black culture, but for me personally, I find it weird that in these shows there is still a thought process of "Black Lightning(or any super) and then God almighty" in terms of power. With the Marvel universe, which I'm more familiar with, it makes sense with Thor and Dr. Strange showing the mystical and spiritual side of the universe. How do you all feel about people still believing religion and an almighty power when there are super heroes running around?

I just saw a scene where a mother told her sim she wanted nothing to do with him because he was of the devil and her real son was dead. This makes sense coming from our perspective, but if you ha e super hero's like Black Lightning running around, I feel like you should be more accepting of general craziness like this.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
latest

(from Spider-Man Homecoming)

Figures like Thor etc. definitely fucked with some peoples' faith.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
They all exist, so I'm fine with it. Especially if it results in things like Wonder Woman fighting Hawaiian gods.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I think it works better in closed universes like Daredevil story without anyone else

i think most writers loose awesome opportunities to deal with this when presented with the option

" If there's no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters... then all that matters is what we do."

Angel, another universe where religion is pretty much proved to exist

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Makes sense. Regular folk would see super power people are Gods. Folks already believe make believe individuals are, so why no people with evidence?

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I do think its silly that in such a crazy universe and all the things they see/hear they still believe in something so hard to prove exists.
Usually it just boils down to the writers wanting to put their religion in there

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I feel like the proven existence of magic, god-like powers and super powerful entities makes a still unobservable God that requires pure faith, who won't do miracles or show himself, pretty difficult

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why powers will stop people from believing in god

Hell in the CW verse hell and heaven exists

Especially in the normal universe all the religions are true and Ghost Rider is on the Avengers

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
As far as DC goes, there was a literal biblical angel in the Justice League at one point. There was a whole arc where they fought a host of angels who hoped to succeed where Lucifer failed.

Basically both DC and Marvel tend to take an everything-is-true take on religion, with multiple ancient pantheons running around in addition to references to current religions.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
But all of those could be seen as the manifestation of that unobservable God, so all bases are covered.
Nah, because the people turning back time and summoning lightning and perform huge feats of mystical power don't believe in the God. You think any preacher, christian or otherwise, is going to point to Dr. Strange and going "See?"?

jem

Oct 25, 2017
This is tangentially related (sorry if I'm hijacking) but I feel the same weirdness about big sci-fi universes.

500 years in the future, humanity has sprawled out across the galaxy and encountered aliens etc. but people still believe in god? Bit weird.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
As far as DC goes, there was a literal biblical angel in the Justice League at one point. There was a whole arc where they fought a host of angels who hoped to succeed where Lucifer failed.

Basically both DC and Marvel tend to take an everything-is-true take on religion, with multiple ancient pantheons running around in addition to references to current religions.
I like that they have meetings and shit.
latest

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the proven existence of magic, god-like powers and super powerful entities makes a still unobservable God that requires pure faith, who won't do miracles or show himself, pretty difficult
In marvel mythology there is an explanation for that. Celestials told the gods to leave earth alone. So they are mostly happy doing their own thing in their realms. A few try to scheme and what not, but nothing serious less they bring the wraith of the Celestials.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
In DC, not only does God exist, but there are also characters who've had direct contact with Him--such as Lucifer and The Spectre--and in turn have also had direct contact with regular characters. Characters have died and resurrected, having experienced the afterlife first hand, and some have even visited Heaven and Hell personally.

So yeah, in a world like that, you bet your ass it makes sense to be religious.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
a recent comic in the current (and pretty great btw) Daredevil run had Matt taking to Reed Richards, this involved Matt asking him, the smartest dude in the universe, what he thinks about God.
Reed gave a pretty nice monologue in which he pretty much said no he doesnt believe in any above all creator god.

I found this to be an interesting scene somewhat ruined by the fact that i explicitly remember a fairly old F4 run where Reed and co flat out met God himself, and he looked and talked a lot like Steve Ditko.

But really i dont see the existence of superpowered folk, supernatural entities, or even legit deities like Thor as in any way counter to the supposed existence of that kind of absolute creator God.
Its a completely different scale of universal influence, like in Marvel its often called "The one above all" which is about as succinct a name for it as any.
It doesn't matter if you an ant, a human, or an immortal capable of punching holes in the universe, its capitol G God, hes above it all as much as he is it all, and presumably everything's still going as he intended it to.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017

Also
The Devil literally took las Vegas in a Marvel event too
The inferno x event
Ghost rider is a known hero and a ghost rider is on the Avengers

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Reed gave a pretty nice monologue in which he pretty much said no he doesnt believe in any above all creator god.

I found this to be an interesting scene somewhat ruined by the fact that i explicitly remember a fairly old F4 run where Reed and co flat out met God himself, and he looked and talked a lot like Steve Ditko.
Reed literally built a machine that takes him to heaven so he can bring back Ben Grimm from the dead

And I'm pretty sure god was Jack Kirby considering he created the fantastic four and its usually him or Stan lee they use as a god or stand in for the writers

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
Reed literally built a machine that takes him to heaven so he can bring back Ben Grimm from the dead

And I'm pretty sure god was Jack Kirby considering he created the fantastic four and its usually him or Stan lee they use as a god or stand in for the writers
ah shit yeah it totally was,
my bad, wires got crossed there.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
I think it would be like The Boys tv show. The supers would slot right into whatever culture they came from and fanatical religions would be as they are now if not more dominant.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'm pretty sure the religion thing boils down to you want to make relatable characters and a lot of people are religious or knows someone religious so Daredevil and Nightcrawler has to ignore a lot of the implication of all the religions being true so you can write stories about the struggles religious people face without muddling it with the dumb comic shit, it's why Reed is an atheist even though there's more proof of a God than not because it's how he would be in a more realistic world and it makes him stand out to more religious characters

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even Teal'c of Chulak, the Shol'va himself, is like: "I know of no Goa'uld capable of showing the necessary compassion or benevolence that I have read of in your Bible."

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Here's a video about how Jack Kirby's devotion to Judaism influenced his work on Thor, New Gods and Eternals and others:

Last edited:

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland

This. I think it was during the New 52 (or just before it) where the JL went up to Heaven to get God's help or something and Gabriel turned them away.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
If there were actual superheroes/physical deities in our world, people would find a way to rationalize it and fit it into whatever they believe in.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I love that Zauriel was a Justice League member because DC fucked up Hawkman continuity so bad they considered him too toxic to use do Grant just created another flying character with wings but he's an angel

Like a fucking angel being a superhero was easier to explain than fucking Hawkman at one point

Shig

Oct 30, 2017
2000 years ago people thought babies died because avenging angels didn't like the shade of goat's blood someone put over their door. We've made colossal strides in the studies of disease and medicine since then, but people still rationalize deaths as "God's plan."

Any new advancements or revelations religions will just reason around or selectively ignore. Too many people's identities are wrapped up in their beliefs being right, not to mention that there's whole networks of cottage industries in and around them that employ tons of people. There will never be a magic bullet that makes religious institutions say "whoops we were wrong, let's pack it up" and hang Out of Business signs on their doors.

Last edited:

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Thor had this old rogue named Crusader who a fanatic christian that believed thor was on some Golden Calf shit. His belief not only made him insane but made him strong enough to fight Thor

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
You just have to look at the real world as it exists now to know that there's no amount of happenings in the world that would make everyone abandon their book. If I believed in god I'm not sure why a person with superpowers would make me think any different.