• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
These things:

Different Writers
Movie Tie In
Smaller (?) Dev Team
Most of the team was likely different
Different Creative Director (not actually sure on this)
Different time period (15 years between the two)

A lot of things dictated a lot of changes. I think one of them is that they had to really temper their ambitions because the budget likely wasn't very large, compared to what they would have gotten back in the PS2s hay day (particularly after the largely successful Spyro titles). It's still a very good game, IMO, and it should be acknowledge that it was a reboot, not a remake, so expecting it to mirror the original is unrealistic.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
But then why did he work on the psmove crossover, 2 years after ACIT released with Salchow's OST?

I assume the move was an opportunity for him to do something fresh. He surely coulda technically still worked with Insomniac after he moved. Insomniac didn't have that kind of involvment in the PSmove game, so it was probably a different studio reaching out to David and he was like what the hay. My guess.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Alot of the humor in the remake was awful. They even got rid if this.

I think in some Twitch stream, Ted Price admitted how he thought most of the PS2 humor aged terribly, gags like this specifically IIRC.

But it's miles beyond better than what the series has going on now when catering to the soccer mom demographic.

Last edited:

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
It's not a real Ratchet & Clank game in the same sense that MCU is not cinema (I'm facetous but I also half-mean it).

The gameplay side is all fine and dandy. But the whole narrative dimension has not been true to form since R&C 3 or even Deadlocked.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Great game. Annoyed that we only got a single Ratchet and Clank game and it was a remake/remaster.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I liked 2016 when I played it, but hadn't played the original. When I went back and played the Remaster of 1 on Vita, I was immediately struck by how much of a sarcastic asshole Ratchet was. I think it really fit the character better and gave him a MUCH better arc by the end of the game.

2016 is kinda like a DreamWorks movie
2002 is like a late 90's Nickelodeon show

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It looks good I guess.

They completely fucked up the characters because they needed to tie in that shitty movie. Hope they do better next time.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Fucking fantastic. One of my favorite games of that year.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Graphically gorgeous, fun to play, good music, shallow personality. I got the platinum, but the story certainly didnt drive me like say, a crack in time or tools of destructions did

Oct 27, 2017
I loved it and wish they had turned out another sequel before the end of the gen. Can't wait to see what they can do with ratchet on PS5 in 4K hdr

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Only Ratchet game I've ever played and I loved every millisecond of it. Got the platinum and almost went back for a 3rd playthrough.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It was okay.

Like all Rachet games, once you get a few of the OP weapons the gameplay loop kind of gets boring.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I think in some Twitch stream, Ted Price admitted how he thought most of the PS2 humor aged terribly, gags like this specifically IIRC.

But it's miles beyond better than what the series has going on now when catering you the soccer mom demographic.

Yeah I never thought that scene in particular was at all funny but at least it's not HASHTAG GADGETRON level

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a massive R&C fan. I beat the 2016 game and it was gorgeous, but something about it just didn't stick with me well. I didn't like it nearly as much as the older games. Dunno if it's my tastes changing or something with the game.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
it's awesome for what it is: a $40 movie tie-in loosely based on a movie based on the original game and developed in 10 months. It doesn't replace the original game and it did not attempt to re-create it faithfully. That's a great thing, we have two R&C 1 worth playing. Thankfully, they kept Ratchet's personality from the later games rather than tried to recreate his obnoxious personality from the original. There are flaws compared to the original like the music and even if most of the missing planets felt like filler, some were good.

Great gameplay, great weapons, great level design and just fun overall. I do hope the next full R&C evolves a bit more but 2016 is a blast to play and great for what it was. It was not a $60 game either, something people forget now that it's in the PlayStation Hits series.

Much, much better than the original by 2020 standards.

Last edited:

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
I loved it when it came out. I tried to replay it a couple months ago with my kid and both of us got bored playing it, not sure why.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
I had to quit playing it due to how painfully boring it was, which is something I rarely do. Dull combat & platforming, repetitive tasks, generic music, and a bad ABC Family Saturday morning plot; I just couldn't take it.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Gorgeous graphics, art-style, OK story and a functional Ratchet game.

But my number one criticism was "same-old same old."

Granted, maybe for newcomers, it was the essence of Ratchet traditional gameplay if it's their first Ratchet game.

But compared to 2013 Into the Nexus, well, it is that: same-old same-old.

I hope Insomniac manage to evolve, improve, and add new things for new future games.
I'd rather see Insomniac retool this game by removing the dumb movie parts while enhancing the original script and cutscenes.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
A mid-tier R&C title by virtue of its modern graphics, mechanics, and QoL features. Mediocre in terms of content when compared to the original's worlds, characters, story, and music.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
for those saying they liked the OG and found the remake to be more bland as well as scrapped some jokes, etc...

this video here in an indepth critic of that (it is more then an hour long)

for those that are interested.... I watched it recently thanks to someone linking it here and I also agree with it

maybe now that they aren't tied into some movie the next game could avoid this

Oct 27, 2017
The movie tie-in parts hurt it. Fun to play for the most part but I felt it was weirdly lacking compared to previous entries. Hard to put my finger on it but it wasn't as good as even the original to me, despite being an updated remake.

it felt "sterile", I guess.

Good intro to those that have never experienced R&C though I suppose.

Oct 30, 2017
Not with the best of the series... but absolutely freaking good and excellent of a game.

I enjoyed the hell out of it like any other R&C game.

Still heartbroken that we only got ONE game this generation :-(

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Felt "bigger" on PS2, but I don't know if it's just a case of 'oh, I've seen these before (even if it was like 15 years prior).
I still enjoyed it, mind, but just a case of Remaster not living up to nostalgia in my case.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
It was my first experience with the franchise, and I had to stop after a few levels because I was just bored out of my mind.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
A great game all in all, but it lacked the soul of the original game(s). It fails as a reimagining/remake/reboot, but on its own it's fine.

Bee.Cups

The Fallen
I kinda hated it. It looks better and it's got weapon leveling, but that's the only ways it beats the original. The characters are a lot more one dimensional this time around, a bunch of worlds are missing from the game, leaving the whole thing feeling stripped comparatively, and they completely changed the relationship between ratchet and clank. In the original they fought, they disagreed, they barely tolerated each other, now theyre best friends from day one for no reason.
The 2016 version also gets rid of most of the hyper capitalist elements that the original trilogy was stuffed with, it's a lot less cynical than the original and a lot more generic, just really basic in it's settings comparatively. You would think a remake would take all the extended lore and build on it, integrating it in ways that couldn't have been done when only one game was released but instead it's stripped down the cardboard cuttouts of the original.
And once again I have to repeat, the remake has SIGNIFICANTLY less content than the original, which is just totally baffling.

Oct 27, 2017
GA, USA
All of its low points come from being the game of the movie. The gameplay and graphics were continued evolution from previous games, but story, art-style, and music were all negatively affected due to being a tie-in. Music lost some of the series' character back with ACiT, but I liked Michael Bross's work after that game and thought the series was good continuing with him. Although I do consider the rating to go David Bergeaud, Bross, then Salchow last. Story focus changed in the series with the Future titles, but I still liked it all.