• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you like PTS One Piece?

• Yeah! It's just as good as it's ever been.

Votes: 117 40.9%
  • Yes, but not as much as I used to.

Votes: 78 27.3%
  • No, something about it isn't as good as it was before.

Votes: 59 20.6%
  • I don't like One Piece and came into this thread for some reason.

Votes: 32 11.2%

• Total voters

bjork

Oct 27, 2017
I like One Piece a lot, and I realize that the world is huge and the cast is large, etc. I love it when there's a chapter that hints at something that was mentioned as important like 400 chapters ago and it pays off. But the arcs since the timeskip feel like they're long for the sake of being long, and it's frustrating because the world exploration and changes of scenery have been my favorite part. So spending multiple years to cover a day or however long each arc has been, has turned OP into something I read out of habit now and enjoy less than I was, but I also know going back and binging entire arcs (when the series finishes, if ever) is going to be a really fun read.

WarLox

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Caesar Clown should be the most OP character but for some reason he isn't. Like, why can't he just use his gas powers to suffocate/poison anyone? Could even just make invisible gas and they wouldn't even know it until it was too late.

They literally turned him into Buggy with a different skin.

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I hated Fishman Island but have really liked everything else PTS. I think the advantage I have to my enjoyments of these arcs is that I'll wait a year or so and then binge read 40-50 chapters in a small amount of time rather than doing it weekly.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
The post timeskip quality dip is purely down to Oda getting burned out imo. Dude spreads himself too thin, even though he's absurdly rich.

It's still not at the level of pre timeskip, but from Zou onwards it's been getting steadily better.

Grey Terminal, Fishman Island, Punk Hazard & Dressrosa were all of far lower quailty then is usual for him. The actual Dressrosa story was really good when you look at it from afar, but week to week it was rough and went on too long.

May 30, 2018
I'm anime only

I used to hate post timeskip, but then I found One Pace, which removes all the padding and filler.

Now I'd say its still good, but has yet to reach Prime OP level (that stretch from Enies Lobby to MarineFord is amazing, fantastic arc after the other)

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
I gave up way back when they were underwater with that giant mermaid princess. So half this stuff you all speak of I have no idea what it is. For me I think I was just tuckered out from so much reading.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's been iffy for a while. Still good, but a big step down from Marineford which is peak One Piece for me.

I'm really enjoying Wano, though. It's a cool setting and feels like everyone has something to do. It gives me Alabasta vibes which is nice. I wouldn't put any other post-timeskip arcs near my Top 5 but Wano might get there.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Used to not think all that highly of One Piece post time skip for awhile. Read weekly till Dressrosa then cut cold turkey cause the pacing was ass. Then two years ago I decided to catch up and man with the power of hindsight and seeing the story arcs happen back to back my opinion of the time skip increased dramatically.

The story now does a wonderful job of making sure people and places feel interconnected. Which is a nice change of pace coming off the pre-time skips problem of having all the islands feel like islands that have no connection to anything. The other pirate crews the Straw Hats meet slowly become interesting once we get to Dressrosa. Then Oda managed to prove that even 2 decades later he is still able to put out new arcs that can contend with other One Piece arcs as the GOAT.

Still I think that TS One Piece still has a bit to go before it matches the highs of PS One Piece (talking about that Skypiea goodness).

I like One Piece a lot, and I realize that the world is huge and the cast is large, etc. I love it when there's a chapter that hints at something that was mentioned as important like 400 chapters ago and it pays off. But the arcs since the timeskip feel like they're long for the sake of being long

At least atm I would only say thats a problem of Dressrosa because even reading it all together its pacing was still ass imo.

WCI is long but it has a much better pace Dressrosa wishes it could have

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I found Fishman Island to be a fucking slog. Punk Hazard started out alright and had interesting things (and it's -along with FI, I guess- the genesis of plenty of stuff that's very relevant right now), but it wasn't too great. Dressrosa was, again, a slog for a week-to-week readthrough, but some of the events were genuinely exciting, it had really good flashbacks and, of course, one of the best villains in a manga filled with great ones.

It's only with Zou, Whole Cake Island, the Reverie and, right now, Wano, where, imo, the manga not only recovered, but is actually living one of its best moments: Zou was fast, relatively unique and so much fun; WCI, while certainly not perfect (it had a very delayed climax that, had it come faster, could have been better), was a ride; and the Reverie miniarc was straight up dropping bombs in every chapter.

So far, Wano has been really fast-paced (few chapters aside), with some interesting twists, gorgeous art and huge stakes. So yeah, it took a while, but I think it's one of the most exciting times to be a OP fan tbh. The future is bright.

PS: the post-timeskip designs are undoubtedly worse imo. The only actual improvement is Ussop (Luffy, Zoro and Sanji look genuinely good, but I still prefer their older looks), whereas some characters (Franky, as much as it fits him) really got their shit fucked up.

But that's mostly me fixating on the first redesign iterations: maybe it's me getting used to their overall redesigns, but with new clothes and hairstyles they look great (like Nami having less revealing clothes and her hair tied up, Franky having more outrageous hairstyles...).

Mattakuevan

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im not a fan of post-timeskip. I thought Big mom was gonna be a return to form as it was pretty good, but Im bored again in Wano.

I feel like I should stop reading and wait till most of the series is out/done.

Wes D. Mess

Avenger
Aug 11, 2018
Chicago
Still good, but nothing has reached the peaks of pre time skip.

Fishman Island kinda sucked

Punk Hazard was meh

Dressrosa was disappointing to me and dragged on way too long

Zou was awesome

Whole Cake Island was ok except for Big Moms endless chasing of the strawhats

Reverie should have lasted MUCH longer

Wano seems cool so far but am a little worried about the number of characters involved.

I have hope that the series will reach its past peaks. Only thing that makes me nervous is that Oda is creating too many characters to keep the plot cohesive. The vast amount of characters was a bit of problem in Marineford, big problem in Dressorosa, and could be a problem in Wano. I can totally see the final arc being a complete clusterfuck.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember where I stopped reading One Piece
I think it was an island with talking animals and Nami?

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
Still good, but nothing has reached the peaks of pre time skip.

Fishman Island kinda sucked

Punk Hazard was meh

Dressrosa was disappointing to me and dragged on way too long

Zou was awesome

Whole Cake Island was ok except for Big Moms endless chasing of the strawhats

Reverie should have lasted MUCH longer

Wano seems cool so far but am a little worried about the number of characters involved.

I have hope that the series will reach its past peaks. Only thing that makes me nervous is that Oda is creating too many characters to keep the plot cohesive. The vast amount of characters was a bit of problem in Marineford, big problem in Dressorosa, and could be a problem in Wano. I can totally see the final arc being a complete clusterfuck.

Jesus. My exact thoughts. I do not like how after the time skip we know the Strawhats are more powerful but they don't seem more powerful. Also nothingnpost time skip Ian pulling at my emotions.

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
There are still great moments, but nothing after the timeskip matches raiding Enies Lobby. At least not yet.

The main cast feels... weaker somehow. Like they're closer to being parodies of who they used to be.

Paltheos

Oct 25, 2017
Everything post-Enies Lobby felt decidedly worse, including the war arc which felt too large a diversion from Luffy's journey to become king of the pirates to really hold my interest. For a long time I thought losing so completely at Sabody and going off to train for 2 years wasn't... really One Piece's jam (always coming back from the brink of defeat because of the unique coming-together of all the crews' talents was part of the magic of it), and I didn't care for most of the redesigns either: A little too busy and the outfits weren't as interesting. The stories also felt a little repetitive or big for no particularly good reason, but Whole Cake and Reverie won me back I think. The premise of the arc wasn't new so it loses points there, but Oda's execution was very different (for the better) and the stakes felt allot more substantial. I didn't really care for any of the plot lines for Dressrosa; it kinda seemed like Luffy was going just because and I didn't buy his desire to win the tournament prize.

Edit: Dressrosa felt allot too like some long-term setup itself, still not very interesting on its own despite its length. After Whole Cake too it's pretty obvious to me that the stakes and threats in Dressrosa didn't feel as significant except maybe for the climax.

Paltheos

Oct 25, 2017
There are still great moments, but nothing after the timeskip matches raiding Enies Lobby. At least not yet.

The main cast feels... weaker somehow. Like they're closer to being parodies of who they used to be.

There's not as much downtime to just 'be', and the cast is often too large for Oda to juggle well. This is particularly apparent in Dressrosa, but Oda learned some sort of lesson from this I think because Whole Cake is just as massive but feels much more personal. Might be the increased downtime. Dressrosa's one big fight for a very long time, very early. Don't know.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
they are more powerful, but so are their enemies, this is the big leagues bro

There's always stronger enemies. But the stakes of the inidivdual fights don't feel higher. I know nostalgia goggles can do a lot towards not letting some of us appreciate post-skip; but nothing in Luffys fight against Hordy had the same emotional drive or struggle as Arlong. I'm on my way through a rewatch of the entire series now and nothing post-skip touches Water 7.

Personally it feels like I'm not as invested because the struggle isn't against the core team and the formula is getting old. We have the strawhats roll up, split up, chaos ensues, introduce 100 named characters, few fights(Luffy focused), victory, next island. I think I'm lookin for more from the squad and a view of their growth, fight wise.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's always stronger enemies. But the stakes of the inidivdual fights don't feel higher. I know nostalgia goggles can do a lot towards not letting some of us appreciate post-skip; but nothing in Luffys fight against Hordy had the same emotional drive or struggle as Arlong. I'm on my way through a rewatch of the entire series now and nothing post-skip touches Water 7.

Personally it feels like I'm not as invested because the struggle isn't against the core team and the formula is getting old. We have the strawhats roll up, split up, chaos ensues, introduce 100 named characters, few fights(Luffy focused), victory, next island. I think I'm lookin for more from the squad and a view of their growth, fight wise.

why do you compare a chump character to the first truly boss?

hody jones was and always will be a character for you to see how strong luffy had become.

gilko79

Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
I'm not gonna read most of this thread to avoid spoilers, bu this seems like an apt place to ask my question. So I've watched the anime up to...

The beginning of Season 3 Episode 136 "Sky Island" arc.

How close am I to this time skip I keep hearing about? Also, on a related topic, concerning the recent One Piece game (World Seeker) - should I wait to play it until I've watched more of show? Basically, will it spoil anything major that I'm better off watching first. I know this answer is probably subjective, but I'd still appreciate some input.

Thanks in advance!

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not gonna read most of this thread to avoid spoilers, bu this seems like an apt place to ask my question. So I've watched the anime up to...

The beginning of Season 3 Episode 136 "Sky Island" arc.

How close am I to this time skip I keep hearing about? Also, on a related topic, concerning the recent One Piece game (World Seeker) - should I wait to play it until I've watched more of show? Basically, will it spoil anything major that I'm better off watching first. I know this answer is probably subjective, but I'd still appreciate some input.

Thanks in advance!

you are long long way from the time skip and also yes, i would recommend waiting on the game

Hot take but I think Carrot and Pudding are easily the two best female characters in all of One Piece. Especially Pudding she was a riot during WCI.

qfwpOVD.jpg

:P

barit

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
For me it feels a little bloated now. Pre-timeskip was definitely more fun for some reason. And yes some of the character changes are not very good. Like why need Nami and Robin even more bigger boobs.. it´s so excessive. And NicoRobin was the most beautiful Waifu ever. Why change that.. doh!

RJeddy

Dec 4, 2017
More or less it's still pretty great. Some small nitpicks here and there with the story or designs, tho. Like, Franky was always one of my favorite characters yet his childrens-block wrist form never did it for me, and more recently Luffy should not have won against Dogtooth. He was knocked down a bunch of times and then got Ultra Instinct and won. Cool.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
-The crew is split up most of the time, leaving half of them missing from certain story arcs.

This shit is especially hilarious when the fan base keeps asking for/having debates about adding additional Nakama/additional crew members, despite the fact that it's difficult for Oda (or anyone) to tell stories with so many characters without splitting them up into groups/focusing on different groups at a time for years. As more and more people join the Straw Hats, this is only going to get worse.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
I'm conflicted because I think Whole Cake Island is probably one of if not the best arc in the series, but I think the Dressrosa Arc is my least favorite arc in the series.

There's so much I don't like about Dressrosa.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This shit is especially hilarious when the fan base keeps asking for/having debates about adding additional Nakama/additional crew members, despite the fact that it's difficult for Oda (or anyone) to tell stories with so many characters without splitting them up into groups/focusing on different groups at a time for years. As more and more people join the Straw Hats, this is only going to get worse.

i think the problem here is the fanbase always wanting 1 on 1 fights and complaining that if a character didnt get a 1 on 1 fight the character was useless for the arc and oda hates him/her.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
People stanning on power creep and plot armor don't realize just how much more development and growth the straw hat crew have to go through still, and the hints dropped everywhere of what other characters have that they don't.
hqdefault.jpg
No, you're forgetting that a long time ago, back in the very first arc, it was established by the author and by Luffy that he wants 10 crew members, and to this day we are still 1 short. Nobody's "asking" for it, they're speculating who the magic #10 is, because it's canon that it will happen.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
I tuned out for now with Wano.

Smaller scale One Piece just worked much better for me and I have a hard time caring about the characters at this point. Some of the Strawhats are just window dressing since the time skip.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Time skip has been awesome overall, the current Wano arc in the manga has been amazing.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
The post timeskip quality dip is purely down to Oda getting burned out imo. Dude spreads himself too thin, even though he's absurdly rich.

It's still not at the level of pre timeskip, but from Zou onwards it's been getting steadily better.

Grey Terminal, Fishman Island, Punk Hazard & Dressrosa were all of far lower quailty then is usual for him. The actual Dressrosa story was really good when you look at it from afar, but week to week it was rough and went on too long.

Yeah, this how I've felt on it. Although I really bounced off of WCI pretty hard. I'm apparently on the minority on this here, though. I just couldn't stand how much it lacked a climax and months and months of WEEDDIING CAKEEE

Wano has been excellent so far.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
No, you're forgetting that a long time ago, back in the very first arc, it was established by the author and by Luffy that he wants 10 crew members, and to this day we are still 1 short. Nobody's "asking" for it, they're speculating who the magic #10 is, because it's canon that it will happen.

Now throw in the Grand Fleet and Alliances into the mix followed by "extra" characters like Carrot into the Nakama debates. These are all characters that take away panel/story space from your favorite that disappears from the story for 2 years.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017

The fight against Arlong wasn't emotional because he was a fishman it was because of the Nami backstory. I don't know why Luffy beating up a bunch of dope fiend fishmen would elicit the same emotion. That whole arc gets a bad rep but Fisher Tiger story is still top 10 One Piece moments for me.
2d2jdlc.png

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017
I still love it, but there are just too many characters constantly being introduced. This might just be a side effect of the scope getting larger, but I still think it would better to focus on a smaller overall group of villains or side characters.

I don't like Sanji's new facial hair. :( He's my favorite character, and I was thrilled he'd get a whole arc to himself, but he didn't get a good fight out of it at all. Saving the day by cooking was fine, but I wanted a nice bloody fight too. And his new 'ability' looks so lame... Bring back my Sanji from Drum Island! Usopp looks great, though.

Also, there are just way too many characters running around each arc now. Dressrosa was a slog even though I thought Doflamingo pretty interesting. It's been really hit of miss for me lately.

robox

Nov 10, 2017
I fully embrace post timeskip one piece as full frenetic chaos story telling. There's never a dull moment as so much is happening so fast, maybe too fast such that some scenes get off screened.

There aren't as many straight matchups anymore. Characters aren't pitted against villains like in a wrestling match; instead, characters live organically in the story, sometimes fighting and sometimes not, and very rarely having a staged matchup. The focus on plot and adventure has always been a staple of One Piece, but it dropped its one-on-one matchups to a significant degree (although not entirely).

This is something I hardly realized was important to people. This is a pirate world in war like scenarios, it doesn't make sense to me that there would be clean and clear one v one fights. But then again I'm more of a plot guy than a battle guy. Fights are just there to resolve the conflict; the interesting part is the buildup and motivations leading up to it