• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What are your thoughts on personal property tax?

• Makes sense to me - it's a good way of ensuring appropriate funding for your city & state.

Votes: 274 47.5%
  • Highway robbery - property taxes are unconstitutional!

Votes: 61 10.6%
  • They're broken AF - but it's 2022 - what isn't? It's just a fact of life, man... deal with it.

Votes: 131 22.7%
  • I'm for them, but they should be locked or otherwise limited in their ability to grow over time.

Votes: 129 22.4%
  • I'm for them, but only on certain people and certain situations (wealthy, second home/car, etc.)

Votes: 133 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 2.3%

• Total voters

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
This misses something important: if everyone's home increased in value by the same amount, then the buying power that I have from selling my home is no different than when I started. If my home increases in value by 10%, but so did everyone else's, then I didn't actually profit.

(This is assuming I'm selling my home and immediately buying another, which is the most common scenario.)

Look, I understand WHY property taxes rise. It's because the cost of the services that those taxes pay for rise, and so you have to keep raising revenue to match, and you can't rely on having enough homes exchange hands to get reassessed to the appropriate rate. I get WHY it happens. However, the side effect continues to be that it is a fundamentally unfair tax: it's a tax on the value of an asset that you can't sell without significant hardship. This isn't what a progressive wealth tax is supposed to be.

Clearly many people believe this is less harmful than other forms of taxation, and that's not something I'm expecting to be able to change anyones opinion on. But homestead property taxes in their current form are not a shining example of a properly functioning progressive tax system.

I was looking to solve one specific complaint taxes out pacing what you could afford when you bought the place.

The core complaint was that people were being taxed out of their homes

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think you should pay property tax because you don't really 'own' the land in the first place. I bought a house on a piece of land, yes. It is easy for the sake of argument just to say I 'own' the land, but really the land belongs to the Commons. Like, I don't actually physically possess the land. I have actually built an obstruction on the land so that other people have to go around my dwelling. It's more of agreed-upon societal norm. There are roads to my dwelling, there are police and fire service to make sure people don't walk/drive/squat through my agreed upon land area. You have to pay taxes to restrict people's freedom to use the Commons imo. Because everybody has a right to any land but society wouldn't function if we didn't set up rules around personal homes. So, you have to tax the people who build up on any piece of land because it's taking away the ability to freely use that land from all others.
you seem like you'd like georgism/single tax on land value

en.wikipedia.org

Georgism - Wikipedia

1280px-Everybody_works_but_the_vacant_lot_%28cropped%29.jpg

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
Property taxes…

I think how certain states do them is wrong, while being taxed on something isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I have yearly property taxes on my home, I pay a yearly renewal tax on my car, I pay a tax on items that I buy (becoming my property)

But a depreciating tax on something via a personal property tax (like say, Missouri does with cars). I do not agree with it. There has to be a better way to do it so that it is fair. Because regardless if you are buying an old PoS or new car your PPT is high those first few years and depreciate. This hits poorer people worse than the rich (who, let's face it probably license their vehicles in a different state and just drive them around in Missouri, paying 0 taxes to the state).

It makes sense, in theory, but the way it's executed is faulty

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like US property taxes are much higher than UK ones?

We have council tax which is payable to each local authority each month and varies based on the band your house was valued into in 1991 I think? So in my council District, the most expensive houses in Band H would cost around £4k per year council tax. I'm band D so pay around £2k per year. House is worth around £350k so less than 1%.

I don't like it but it's a necessary expense. And amazingly it didn't increase this year.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
It's a necessary evil, as you have to get revenue from somewhere to maintain the infrastructure of a city.

It's a bit under 1% of the assessed property value here, which seems reasonable enough. Yes, there are some additional taxes and fees that also contribute to city revenue (part of the reason the bulk of natural gas/electricity bills are distribution costs, not use, plus whatever gasoline taxes the province decides to sprinkle down) but snow removal and upkeep of sidewalks and things like parks and libraries and fire service are perks of living in a city that need to be paid for.

My in-laws live outside of any municipal area and pay a flat $50 fee for property tax each year. They also get absolutely nothing in return - no garbage collection, no running water, no plowing of access roads, no public amenities or anything. I don't know if well maintenance or septic upkeep and things like that add up to the ~$3,000 they might be paying for taxes if they lived in the city, but I'd take it to not have to deal with that shit on my own.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Property taxes cause low housing supply in CA because boomers who are paying property tax on the homes they bought in the 70s and 80s would rather just never sell, understandably so. They don't sell > fewer homes to buy > drives prices up. Meanwhile everyone NIMBYs zoning and new development which exacerbates the problem even more.

It's a vicious cycle, and legislation has passed to let older folks take their current property taxes to other parts of the state if they want to move, but doesn't seem to have had much of an effect.

MaxDOL

Oct 31, 2017
Wait so city/municipal in the USA can not get the tax money from the states/federal other than local sale tax and property tax at all?
In my country, the local judistriction/provinces can get a part/percentages of personal income tax, corporate income tax, VAT/sale tax, property tax that occured with in the local judistriction/provinces and the remaining will be sent to central goverment.

Dec 16, 2017
Massachusetts limits increases to 2.5% without overrides and debt exclusions that are approved by community vote. It's not a perfect system, but it protects people from insane increases in many cases.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like US property taxes are much higher than UK ones?

We have council tax which is payable to each local authority each month and varies based on the band your house was valued into in 1991 I think? So in my council District, the most expensive houses in Band H would cost around £4k per year council tax. I'm band D so pay around £2k per year. House is worth around £350k so less than 1%.

I don't like it but it's a necessary expense. And amazingly it didn't increase this year.
They are. The US also pays less income tax I believe.

Property taxes cause low housing supply in CA because boomers who are paying property tax on the homes they bought in the 70s and 80s would rather just never sell, understandably so. They don't sell > fewer homes to buy > drives prices up. Meanwhile everyone NIMBYs zoning and new development which exacerbates the problem even more.

It's a vicious cycle, and legislation has passed to let older folks take their current property taxes to other parts of the state if they want to move, but doesn't seem to have had much of an effect.

California needs a lot of reform. The NIMBYs and Prop 13 are double whammies that make it one of the most expensive states in the country.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
A necessary evil, but, there need to be safeguards so folks aren't taxed out of their own homes (at least for someone that only owns one home and lives in it rather than using it for an investment/rental).

Basically, I don't want an 80-year-old on fixed income to ever be at risk of losing their home because their property value increased on paper and they can't afford the taxes.

Otherwise, yeah, it's necessary and it's better than sales tax, at least.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
It hurts to pay for sure when you're already strapped with a mortgage. But it's the price of maintaining your neighborhood. No point having a nice house if your town is a shithole.

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
you seem like you'd like georgism/single tax on land value

en.wikipedia.org

Georgism - Wikipedia

1280px-Everybody_works_but_the_vacant_lot_%28cropped%29.jpg
MFW it takes three fucking pages for someone to bring up Henry George

image.png

Income taxes, land value tax, estate tax, and wealth tax. They're the most economically efficient ways to keep money moving in an economy and preventing generational wealth from turning everyone else into renters (though George would've stopped at just land value, but in this day and age you don't need land to produce value and assuming everyone's house could produce the value of a developer working from home is a bit silly)

dyelawn91

Jan 16, 2018
They need to take income into account some how so lower income and elderly folks aren't inevitably driven out of their homes as assessed values increase.

Oct 25, 2017
Wait so city/municipal in the USA can not get the tax money from the states/federal other than local sale tax and property tax at all?
In my country, the local judistriction/provinces can get a part/percentages of personal income tax, corporate income tax, VAT/sale tax, property tax that occured with in the local judistriction/provinces and the remaining will be sent to central goverment.

You absolutely can.

However, it's much easier to hide income than it is to hide your possession of land that you're occupying. The amount/value of land that you're occupying is also a reasonable thing to proportionally assign relative responsibility for the region to, and the value of your home is reasonably correlated with your income, so it's just simpler to use a property tax than it is to use a cleverly schemed income tax.

This comes with some trade offs as has been discussed in this thread. Some people are okay with the trade offs, others not so much.

charlmall

Banned
May 7, 2022
As in like we pay for council tax in the UK? It funds stuff (Police, fire services, rubbish collection and council stuff) and is based on property value and thus presumably income. I don't like it and often pay it late but I accept it's a necessary cost.

What's income tax for then? Or fines? Fines pay for roads. So does tax on petrol. And property value has nothing to do with a person's income. At least my income.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
What's income tax for then? Or fines? Fines pay for roads. So does tax on petrol. And property value has nothing to do with a person's income. At least my income.
As per the Government:

"Income Tax is collected by HMRC on behalf of the government. It's used to help provide funding for public services. For example, the NHS, education and the welfare system, as well as investment in public projects, such as roads, rail and housing."

"Council Tax is an annual fee your local council charges you for the services it provides, like rubbish collection and libraries. Normally you pay it in 10 monthly instalments, followed by two months of not making any payments."

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2021
I think they should be expanded to take into account other things too.

Like is this your primary residence? Yes? Lower taxes. No, higher taxes. Is this property used as a bnb? Higher taxes. Is this property sitting empty? Higher taxes. Is this property for rent and is it way over the medan rent on the area? Higher taxes.

Lol can you tell I'm upset? Rents are out of control and even a 2 bedroom apartment starts at 4k a month plus building fees. And then there are the ridiculous ones. There are two apartments near me that go for 12k a month. 12k. For 3 to 4 bedrooms! They are nice apartments with a nice view and one of them has acces to a pool, but 12k a month? There's no way that isn't just pure greed.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

image.png

Income taxes, land value tax, estate tax, and wealth tax. They're the most economically efficient ways to keep money moving in an economy and preventing generational wealth from turning everyone else into renters (though George would've stopped at just land value, but in this day and age you don't need land to produce value and assuming everyone's house could produce the value of a developer working from home is a bit silly)
I was waiting for this

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It has not though. People in Austin are moving away because rent is going up 600-800 per year. There isn't enough housing. That is why housing has gone up 2-3x in 5 years.

Property taxes should not be flat taxed they should be progressive so housing scarcity isn't such a huge flaw.

Want a 1200 sqft house? 750k. Want a 2 bedroom apartment? $2500/mo. People simply cannot afford it. Retail, pharmacies, food etc are all closing earlier because there are no workers that can afford to live in the area.

Those really aren't issues with the concept of property taxes, but the failure of state and local government to encouraging building supply (housing) that matches demand (population increases). The un-affordability of housing in cities like Austin, San Francisco, PNW, and other high demand areas with low supply and strict rules around building aren't because of property taxes.

My reply there was mostly about the benefit of traditional property taxes over something that was suggested, not taxing property value increases until someone sells the property; not so much that "property taxes are perfect and solve all problems," but that the current method of re-assessing properties once a year or once every few years makes more sense than locking in property taxes at the assessed value when the house is sold, which would make housing supply far, far worse.

I'd definitely be interested in changes where property tax rates fluctuate by income level, though I wonder how effective it would be to implement... Similar to challenges around tying sales tax or excise/luxury taxes to income level, it's hard to apply effectively. As it is, property tax collection is a very effective way to raise local revenue. From a revenue and progressive tax perspective that makes sense, though that change probably wouldn't have much affect on supply of housing... The example we were talking about before, the empty nester or retired grandparent who still lives in a 2100 sq foot, 4BR, 2BA house, which would be more appropriate for a family of 5, is probably living on fixed retirement/pension/SSI income and under a truly progressive property tax system tied to income levels would probably pay lower property taxes than the flat method.

Last edited:

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
I think they are good, in general, but reforms definitely need to happen. Education shouldn't be funded through local property taxes but through the federal government.

Like is this your primary residence? Yes? Lower taxes. No, higher taxes. Is this property used as a bnb? Higher taxes. Is this property sitting empty? Higher taxes. Is this property for rent and is it way over the medan rent on the area? Higher taxes.

In Texas, you do get a tax break for a primary residence and I would assume this is fairly universal in the US.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for tax as long as you get services from them. Being from Long Island, yeah the taxes on everything, especially property tax, is ridiculous.

Zorg1000

Banned
Jul 22, 2019

Like is this your primary residence? Yes? Lower taxes. No, higher taxes.

Couldn't this backfire pretty hard though? Landlords aren't going to eat the cost of higher property taxes on rental property, they are going to pass that on to the renter.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Those really aren't issues with the concept of property taxes, but the failure of state and local government to encouraging building supply (housing) that matches demand (population increases). The un-affordability of housing in cities like Austin, San Francisco, PNW, and other high demand areas with low supply and strict rules around building aren't because of property taxes.

My reply there was mostly about the benefit of traditional property taxes over something that was suggested, not taxing property value increases until someone sells the property; not so much that "property taxes are perfect and solve all problems," but that the current method of re-assessing properties once a year or once every few years makes more sense than locking in property taxes at the assessed value when the house is sold, which would make housing supply far, far worse.

I'd definitely be interested in changes where property tax rates fluctuate by income level, though I wonder how effective it would be to implement... Similar to challenges around tying sales tax or excise/luxury taxes to income level, it's hard to apply effectively. As it is, property tax collection is a very effective way to raise local revenue. From a revenue and progressive tax perspective that makes sense, though that change probably wouldn't have much affect on supply of housing... The example we were talking about before, the empty nester or retired grandparent who still lives in a 2100 sq foot, 4BR, 2BA house, which would be more appropriate for a family of 5, is probably living on fixed retirement/pension/SSI income and under a truly progressive property tax system tied to income levels would probably pay lower property taxes than the flat method.

That's fair. I don't think fundamentally there's a problem with property taxes, they just need to handle housing scarcity.

It is getting a bit out of hand. For example, our local pharmacy is so understaffed that they're only opened 3 hours on weekends and their way of dealing with still too little staffing is to blockade the drive through to discourage people from using the pharmacy, so I drive 15 minutes to Austin proper so I can fill things in a timely matter. Used to be the north Austin 24 hour Walgreens with a large pharmacy and even it is reduced to 10 hours per day.

I've talked to a friend that is a pharmacist and the problem is there's no techs because 16/hour or whatever they start at doesn't cut it. Wages aren't bouncing up the same rate as the taxes.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
it's stupid for something like a car that depreciates in value.

Oct 30, 2017
Not a fan but I think they're higher in the USA. Too much mission creep for the city and regional governments (tbf there is a lot of downloading from higher levels).

Eric_S

Nov 29, 2017
I think you need to separate the tax with how it is used, in the States that is.

A property tax is something that effectively taxes the very rich. That is good.

In the States it is used to fund schools and this perpetuate inequality. That is bad.

Ideally property tax income, would be collected and used on a high enough level where you can actively compensate for weaker districts.

Last edited:

Vapelord

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
Not a fan, should not be applicable to your primary residence and only those with multiple properties. But even if those with multiple "investment" properties got hit with higher property taxes they sure as shit would just pass that on to the renter... So not a great solution either.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
They suck, but even more egregious here in PA are the school taxes (which cost us WAY more than the property tax collected and used to fund the Gov't). It sucks as while the school taxes are what primary fund our schools (and obviously they are necessary)- only property owners get to foot the bill for schools. And of course its a thing year to year, where schools want more money, so of course they increase taxes basically every year which is at the school boards whim.

There are constant calls to fix this (the solution being some variance on increasing sales tax slightly (take the current 6% to 7%, maybe adjust some other tax code stuff are generally whats on the table), which would then spread the burden to pretty much everyone, and while there is a ton of support (it seems like the vast majority of real world people support this move)- there are factors that shoot it down- basically politicians (and this affects the ranks of some in both GOP and Dems who just don't buy into it)- teacher groups/unions, etc (because they don't want to switch from a "known" tax burden they can collect- raise taxes at will if they want) to sales tax which is less easily quantifiable- and may force them to live within "the means".

But I'm all for it, it can be done (and IS done in much of the country and homeowners (especially elderly on fixed incomes) don't have this massive tax burden constantly threatening to take their homes away, even if paid off and fully "owned".

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
They suck, but even more egregious here in PA are the school taxes (which cost us WAY more than the property tax collected and used to fund the Gov't). It sucks as while the school taxes are what primary fund our schools (and obviously they are necessary)- only property owners get to foot the bill for schools.

This isn't really true. Rent raises includes any increase in property taxes. So if one is renting, they are still footing the bill.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

image.png

Didn't Thomas Paine also have an early precursor to Georgism?

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They suck, but even more egregious here in PA are the school taxes (which cost us WAY more than the property tax collected and used to fund the Gov't). It sucks as while the school taxes are what primary fund our schools (and obviously they are necessary)- only property owners get to foot the bill for schools. And of course its a thing year to year, where schools want more money, so of course they increase taxes basically every year which is at the school boards whim.

There are constant calls to fix this (the solution being some variance on increasing sales tax slightly (take the current 6% to 7%, maybe adjust some other tax code stuff are generally whats on the table), which would then spread the burden to pretty much everyone, and while there is a ton of support (it seems like the vast majority of real world people support this move)- there are factors that shoot it down- basically politicians (and this affects the ranks of some in both GOP and Dems who just don't buy into it)- teacher groups/unions, etc (because they don't want to switch from a "known" tax burden they can collect- raise taxes at will if they want) to sales tax which is less easily quantifiable- and may force them to live within "the means".

But I'm all for it, it can be done (and IS done in much of the country and homeowners (especially elderly on fixed incomes) don't have this massive tax burden constantly threatening to take their homes away, even if paid off and fully "owned".
So you think those costs don't go to renters?

it's stupid for something like a car that depreciates in value.
Cars aren't taxed like real estate though. You only pay taxes for personal property (despite the OPs misuse of the term in the thread title, on transfers of ownership)

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm fine with it in terms of paying for my property lot. What I think is fucking stupid is charging me more for what I do with my property.

Want to extend the home, taxes go up. Want to add a pool, taxes go up. Want to convert your garage to a room, taxes go up. Remodel your basement, taxes go up. That's what I disagree with.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
I'm OK with the principle of it, but seeing them rise 10% most years is crushing, and I'm not seeing the benefits of that in the services. Schools e.g., they don't get all the increases in taxes collected that should be going to them. Teachers are underpaid and now we expect them to be human shields and taking down mass shooters, all while grooming children too? The state ends up keeping a bunch of those funds, and does who knows what with it.

And Elon Musk can fuck off saying it's un-American to tax wealth and it can't work, when countless homeowners already have annual taxing of wealth.

Poll option: "they should be locked or otherwise limited in their ability to grow over time."

Aren't they already? I doubt my area is alone in capping annual increases even if assessed values have gone up faster.

Yea that's my main issue with property tax is eventually people end up getting priced out of areas when real estate prices keep increasing when it turn increases the assessment amounts. I know in California it's capped how much it increases but seeing other states it can be pretty substantial

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
You want sewage? You want electricity? You want roads? You want all the benefits of being able to live and get to your house with modern vehicles and infrastructure while having the ability to have firefighters come put out your house fire, etc? Pay your property taxes. If you want less to pay then move into an apartment or townhouse where the prices are lower.

People complaining about taxes are annoying. Shit doesn't run on freedom.
Extremely myopic and privileged view on the subject, ff you truly feel people just have no right ot question property taxes.

We get billed for sewage and electricity in my city, and the roads are extremely shitty and beyond in need of repair. Don't get me started on taxes supposedly funding public education.

It's annoying? How are things in your high castle?

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

image.png

Hahaha I was shocked nobody brought him up because like this was his thing!

Kinda wild how nobody teaches all the radical and sometimes smart (and dumb) proposals from the late 1800s

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea that's my main issue with property tax is eventually people end up getting priced out of areas when real estate prices keep increasing when it turn increases the assessment amounts. I know in California it's capped how much it increases but seeing other states it can be pretty substantial
This is largely a purpose of property taxes, it promotes efficient use of the land which means people downgrade when they live alone and don't need all that square footage they did when they had 3 kids and a husband.

And usually there are homestead exemptions for primary residences so largely these complaints seem in bad faith and promote anecdotal stories that don't seem to check out on fact checking.

bshark

Banned
Jun 25, 2018
They're stupid and seemingly meaningless. Particularly when there's no tangible benefit to most of us homeowners, at least that's noticeable, especially for taxes to keep increasing. Very similar to HOAs fees, a waste of funds that just go into an empty vacuum/void.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Massachusetts limits increases to 2.5% without overrides and debt exclusions that are approved by community vote. It's not a perfect system, but it protects people from insane increases in many cases.

CA does something similar (prop 13), which helps to prevent people from losing their homes when property values skyrocket, but it then creates inequity with people paying a ton more property tax when they buy a property in the neighborhood, and for whatever reason this extends to businesses, so you have new businesses paying an obscene amount of taxes compared to the businesses that are entrenched there.