• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I expected more, but I can understand why that wasn't the case given that a number of developers are transitioning to HD for the first time.

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
Great titles but way too many gaps between them. Since Xenoblade DE there hasn't been an interesting game for me, and that was like 7 months ago, and I don't see anything coming up until march with Monster Hunter Rise

I wouldn't blame Nintendo for that.

Hades? Pikmin 3? Sakuna? Age of Calamity?

There's been dozens of quality games released the past seven months.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
I only play like 4 or 5 games on switch a year. Hades is the only thing I've put more than a handful of hours in this year. Stuff like Odyssey, Hades, and BotW are amazing but I mostly forget I even have it. Years late ports of games I already played at half the resolution/framerate aren't suddenly appealing because you can play them on the toilet. Probably won't turn it on again until 3D World and then probably just BotW2 before it's in a closet somewhere.

treasureyez

Nov 23, 2017
I expected more weird spinoffs and party games to fill in the gaps between big releases. Didn't help that titles like Mario Tennis Aces and Super Mario Party felt very half-baked.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I think it's been pretty good, overall. This year has been a bit slower, but they've always had something to look forward to.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
As a Wii U owner, I can say I've been satisfied up until 2019. Obviously pandemic affected everyone's plans this year, however I still think it would have been fairly lacklustre considering nothing has been delayed beyond the current fiscal year.

I accept that there were a number of ports that needed to make their money back, and I picked up a few myself between Mario Kart, Pikmin 3, Xenoblade and 3DAS, but at this point even SM3DW+BF feels like the straw to break the camel's back.

I sincerely hope they can get back into their groove with relative ease come 2021 especially with a vaccine around the corner, but if this kind of output is maintained his is where their 3rd party support would be extremely critical for the console's continued success, regardless of a Switch Pro revision release or not.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's so many backwards things in their games that makes a lot of them disappointments.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
Average. I haven't bought anything for my Switch this year, and last year was pretty barebones for me too.

But next year is looking good with 3D World, Bravely Default 2 and potentially a 2D Metroid and BotW 2.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
There are more games than I have time for and they are all great. Great diversity in experience away from the standard torchbearer games too.

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo's output has been solid, not stellar HOWEVER, the trifecta of solid Nintendo, better than expected 3rd Party support and Top Tier indie gaming make the overall software support the best on any system since in the last 10 years or so.

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been throughly satisfied and my backlog has been growing so much unfortunately. There are tons of variety of games whether it's first party or third party.

Next year is gonna kill me tho especially as a Jrpg fan. Next year is fucking packed lmao.

3D World
SMT 5
Bravely Default 2
Persona Scramble
MH Rise
MH Stories
Cold Steel 4
YS 9
NMH 3
BOTW2 (Potentially)

Bayonetta and Metroid 4 could happen although I'm not expecting them.
God yeah I want to play all of these, I'm doomed. Also SMT 3 re-release

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
With how expensive the first party games are and how they never go down in price, I'm find with the output as I don't buy a lot for it lol

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Decent. I get 1 - 2 games a year which is not bad considering it's my secondary system. This year I got Xenoblade, Mario 3D, and will probably get AoC for Christmas. Next year looking to be great as well with BotW2 likely releasing.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's the only system I use but I'm happy with it. Tons of RPGs to play and another MonHun on the way. My problem with it is with the joycon build quality, not the software.

In terms of Nintendo software specifically, I feel like the Switch versions of their regular IP are pretty strong entries in their respective series across board, or at least the ones I'm interested in.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
The Switch is the only system I own, I use it basically daily, and I have a backlog of like a dozen games I've barely touched. This is the happiest I've been with a system since childhood, and probably has the most satisfying library of any system I've ever own. So, yeah, pretty good.

(That said, I think I'll probably be seduced by the Series S + GamePass value proposition soon.)

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Overall, I'm satisfied, and I have amassed a large backlog of Nintendo games, so I'm fully set for 2021.

Surprise me, 2021.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
I was expecting a bit more new titles and less ports. I've constantly had stuff to play on it so I can't say I'm disappointed per se, but it's not the output I expected. Plus, new titles have generally been outstanding.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Loved Breath of the Wild and I liked Mario Odyssey. Smash was cool, but the lack of trophies meant I had no reason to play after I finished the story mode. Everything else has been / seemed pretty lackluster for my specific tastes. Hope Metroid's good and that BotW 2 will be out soon. Not really interested in any of the other notable franchises apart from F-Zero and that's definitely not happening. A proper 2D Mario game (that's not in the New series) would be nice. All in all, better than the Wii era at least!

Last edited:

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
If the Switch was my only console I might be unsatisfied, but considering I still haven't gotten to play FE:3H, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Xenoblade Chronicles: DE, and Fire Emblem Warriors, I'm pretty happy with Nintendo's output, and have got a solid backlog to look forward to. (I also haven't picked up Super Mario Odyssey, Luigi's Mansion, Tropical Freeze, Age of Calamity, or Astral Chain either. Help.) I actually wouldn't mind more ports from the Wii U era -- particularly Wind Waker and Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Thought without the 3ds, the output would be higher this year, but maybe covid stunted that. 2021 is looking to be what I expected of this year

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
By now everyone should have adjusted to Covid, it's been months.
Disagree.

It's so much easier to say that when you're not in their shoes and having an understanding of how they run their development for games etc. I think that we shouldn't build an expectation that after X-amount of months, every developer or at least most developers such as Nintendo should be adjusted already. That isn't fair to them, the many developers under the Nintendo branch and it just feels wrong to feel like that's a reasonable take.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The past 24 months or so have been pretty fucking barren, as someone who already owned and enjoyed the output of the Wii U.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
By now everyone should have adjusted to Covid, it's been months.
Absolutely not. I work for a company that was better prepared for Covid than most and although things went well for a while, things have ebbed and flowed in terms of productivity and just a general understanding of what's going on.

In regards to OP's question, it's been pretty great. Only thing I'm a bit surprised by is I was expecting more smaller experimental software from them in addition to what they've released. They've had a couple, and to be fair, I didn't pick up most, so maybe that's why there hasn't been more.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At the end of 2021 it'll most likely be my favorite Nintendo system of all time due to Nintendo's games

Kaydigi

Apr 25, 2019
Solid support, extremely shocked that their SNES/GBA catalog wasn't given a place in the shop. Even more shocked that Metroid 3DS, and Star Fox 3DS weren't ported over to pad the release schedule.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It could be better to be frank. I still have some major releases, e.g. Fire Emblem or Pokemon, I couldn't get to due to a lack of time but my expectations haven't been fully met yet. I was looking forward to more inroads towards genres Nintendo hadn't tackled so far (like narrative driven action adventures) but my impression so far is that 1st) Nintendo plays it safe and 2nd) maybe hasn't been able to use the combined resources of the two former console departments to their fullest.

I do wish they would work more with Western partners to get some fresh input and fill in some content gaps, but naaaah gotta have Koei churn out another Musou abomination instead.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Wheres: WarioWare, Style Savvy, Brain Age, Advance Wars, Game & Watch, Golden Sun, Starfy, Ever Oasis and others? Also wheres good Kirby? One middling mainline game an a couple of rando spinoffs ain't for me. And a *new* DKC?

furfoot

Dec 12, 2017
Not great, and some of the remasters/ports weren't all that amazing either (zelda awakening, bayo 2)

MorningDew

Oct 27, 2017
As a WiiU owner who bought most of the top titles, I'm disappointed by all of the ports. There's no way I'm rebuying those WiiU games. I did buy Links Awakening and Super Marion All Stars.

I'm very pleased with Paper Mario. Haven't played Mario Odyssey & Zelda BOTW even though I have them. As someone without a lot of time, the pace has been fine with me.

Oct 25, 2017
In years to come discussions such as this are why people retroactively think 'Nintendo Console XYZ was/is over-rated'.

You got Jump Rope Challenge why are you complaining.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
On the one hand, it has FIVE games in my top thirty most played of all time already (Smash, AC, FE Warriors, BOTW, FE 3H) but on the other hand... I miss all the weird deep cut games they used to make.

It's quality over quantity but the quality is mostly games that are just better versions of games I've already played, so it doesn't quite have an identity to itself?

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
I think what makes the Switch better imo is that not only do we have great first party content, but also really good third party content for the usual Nintendo system.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm incredibly happy with my Switch. I'm a day 1 owner and own: Botw, Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem 3 Houses, Smash, Luigi's Mansion 3, Age of Calamity and Pokémon Shield.

I skipped Wii U entirely so it's allowed me to play games like Mario Kart 8, DK Country Tropical Freeze, Captain Toad, all of which I own as well.

It's my to-go console with indie games and visual novels now a days: Letter, Crawl, Overcooked, Night in the Woods, Gris, Stardew Valley, Gunner, River City Girls, etc.

By the looks of it, 2021 will be a great year hopefully: with plenty of JRPG launches like SMT V and The World Ends With You 2, both of which I'm a fan of.

I don't really care about the lack of Netflix or stream services like that, because I use them on my Mac.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wheres: WarioWare, Style Savvy, Brain Age, Advance Wars, Game & Watch, Golden Sun, Starfy, Ever Oasis and others? Also wheres good Kirby? One middling mainline game an a couple of rando spinoffs ain't for me. And a *new* DKC?
Style Savvy is coming. WW should come. Brain Age already came didn't it? Golden Sun is a dead IP.

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
I know Nintendo does their own thing but I'm really, really disappointed. Specifically, for two reasons. First, no virtual console. My younger brother passed away in 2018 and he was in possession of my WiiU at the time. I did not bother getting it back because I was sure virtual console or an equivalent was coming. Two years later and still, nothing. Secondly, when Nintendo announced the Switch they bragged about how only having to develop for on system was going to increase their output. But, many of the low or mid-budget games present on the handhelds are completely absent. Where are things Elite Beat Agents, Mario and Luigi RPG, 2D Zelda (I'l let this one slide) Advance Wars, Golden Sun etc?

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I expected a lot more. I mean, it's better than the Wii U era; now there are two to three games I want to play each year compared to just one. But I think that hope people had that all of Nintendo's output being put into one console was going to alleviate any droughts was just wishful thinking.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know Nintendo does their own thing but I'm really, really disappointed. Specifically, for two reasons. First, no virtual console. My younger brother passed away in 2018 and he was in possession of my WiiU at the time. I did not bother getting it back because I was sure virtual console or an equivalent was coming. Two years later and still, nothing. Secondly, when Nintendo announced the Switch they bragged about how only having to develop for on system was going to increase their output. But, many of the low or mid-budget games present on the handhelds are completely absent. Where are things Elite Beat Agents, Mario and Luigi RPG, 2D Zelda (I'l let this one slide) Advance Wars, Golden Sun etc?
The developer for Mario and Luigi is dead. Intelligent Systems released Fire Emblem and Paper Mario. How about have some patience? They can only work so fast. Golden Sun is dead. Idk why that keeps being asked for. Funny how none of you talk about their new IP's they've created this gen.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Y'all really expecting Golden Sun after the last game flopped a decade ago?

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
The developer for Mario and Luigi is dead. Intelligent Systems released Fire Emblem and Paper Mario. How about have some patience? They can only work so fast. Golden Sun is dead. Idk why that keeps being asked for. Funny how none of you talk about their new IP's they've created this gen.

I'll concede Paper Mario, but what I am talking about are those mid-budget / typically only released on handheld games to tide people over to the AAA titles. If it was not for Indies where would they be? Hell where's stuff like Etrian Odyssey, Phoenix Wright, from other developers.