• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How do you feel about jump scares?

• Hate them!

Votes: 135 34.4%
  • They're okay in moderation or used in key scenes

Votes: 210 53.6%
  • Love them!

Votes: 19 4.8%
  • Thor 2

Votes: 28 7.1%

• Total voters

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
I don't mind them as long as they aren't the defining element of the movie, it better has a bit more going on than just jumpscares!

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind them but if they're overused then the movie isn't scary, it's jumpy. You'll get startled but it won't be a memorable scene or movie.

If they're only used once or twice in the entire movie/series then they're probably going to be well done (Look at Haunting of Hill House).

Amazon Video users should check out Lake Mungo, no jump scares, still scary.

May 26, 2018
The best jump scare basically happens once, and then never again. It gets you good, and it's smart and creative to boot. It also leaves you tense for the ones that do not come.

You make your movie about jump scares and it becomes a dumb guessing game.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
I don't mind them if they are put to good use. I'm definitely more into psychological horror and enjoy stuff like hidden figures/ghosts in background shots. When done effectively that sort of stuff seriously gives me chills. I literally just watched Lake Mungo and fuck me man, that movie absolutely creeped me the hell out. I still have goosebumps lol

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I love a good, effective jump scare. Something that, when the tension is high, catches you completely by surprise, in a really good way. The best example I can think of comes from The Conjuring.

But when they're overdone, they are absolutely trash. Movies that depend on jump scares for horror aren't good horror movies. That's why the entire Paranormal Activity franchise is trash.

Deleted member 22901

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't mind them if they are put to good use. I'm definitely more into psychological horror and enjoy stuff like hidden figures/ghosts in background shots. When done effectively that sort of stuff seriously gives me chills. I literally just watched Lake Mungo and fuck me man, that movie absolutely creeped me the hell out. I still have goosebumps lol
Lake Mungo really sticks with you. I still think about that scene and get creeped out.

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
I hate them, especially in non horror movies. They take me out of the movie. I'm no longer thinking about the characters or plot, but only when the jump will happen. It works in B horror flicks where I don't care about that, but that's it.

Deleted member 13015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like when Insidious does it once when
the family is talking, in broad daylight, on a table and then BAM! Demon face behind the father.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
The ones that use anything but loud sounds/musical stings are great. The others are mostly cheap.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The really good ones are rare but effective.

Exorcist 3:

ValuableUnitedDormouse-size_restricted.gif

OptimalAnyGuernseycow-size_restricted.gif
Came to post this

Gengahrrr

Oct 25, 2017
They're so damn cheap and tiring when overused.

IT Ch.1 and 2 almost use nothing but jump scares.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I'm fine with them if they are used sparingly or with purpose to setup a bigger scare. Movies that just have scary thing jump out at character and thats it are the bane of modern horror movies. That's why I usually tend to prefer movies that have a slow creeping dread associated with them instead of just jump scares.

Although even some of my favorite recent films like Hereditary use a few jump scares in effective places.
The bane of modern horror movies is ambiguious monsters or killers with no explained motive. Way too many modern horror films have undeveloped stories and motives and rely on ambiguity to build tension. Often at the end of modern horror films i am now left asking "why?".

Granted a reveal can sometimes be clumsy or overexplained, but at least with a reveal there is an attempt to give a complete story. Its way more satisying than a "just because" or "use your imagination" ending.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'm so desensitized to horror, it's hard to find someone that gives me a reaction that isn't a jump scare. Very occasionally good atmosphere and music will do it.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I hate them and they're the main reason I don't watch horror movies.
This. I like creepy atmospheres and when I actually see a horror film that doesn't rely on jump scares (The Shining comes to mind) I do enjoy them. But jump scares? I just hate them. And as the quoted person said, jump scares are the main reason why I don't watch horror films.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The bane of modern horror movies is ambiguious monsters or killers with no explained motive. Way too many modern horror films have undeveloped stories and motives and rely on ambiguity to build tension. Often at the end of modern horror films i am now left asking "why?".

Granted a reveal can sometimes be clumsy or overexplained, but at least with a reveal there is an attempt to give a complete story. Its way more satisying than a "just because" or "use your imagination" ending.
I would take a movie underexplaining something every day of the week to it over explaining. I'm totally fine with movies letting you fill in the gaps.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
i appreciate clever usage... i agree it's all about the set-up. but if they're just constant piercing music and jarring cuts then fuck that shit

something like the grudge uses a lot of them, but they're well-done. one of those movies that will always creep me the hell out.

otherwise, a lot of modern horror overuses them and they're not at all scary.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This scene in Signs wasnt exactly a jump scare but it was so much better than one. It did scare me but it unnerved me. I felt like at that moment the movie turned on its side and pulled me in further. At that moment the threat became real. We saw enough but not all of it where we could begin to pick the CGI apart.

leanbouncycondor-smalwwk91.gif

Came to post this. It's as close to a jump scare that I will ever actually appreciate.

I was backing up like Joaquin Phoenix when I first saw it!

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm always kinda disappointed by them. Mostly because the anticipation and tension really get me, and then the scare happens and it's always just wayyyy tamer than whatever I built up in my head. I also don't get people actually jolting and jumping at surprises like that. I do feel the scare, but my reaction is mostly internal, at most I kinda widen my eyes and my neck sorta flexes a bit.

The anticipation though...I'm not ashamed to say I'll straight up quit a game, or pause a movie.

I love a good, effective jump scare. Something that, when the tension is high, catches you completely by surprise, in a really good way. The best example I can think of comes from The Conjuring.

But when they're overdone, they are absolutely trash. Movies that depend on jump scares for horror aren't good horror movies. That's why the entire Paranormal Activity franchise is trash.

This is a good example of what I mean when I say disappointing. Like the build-up is amazing, but then....it's just a clap. In was ready for my eyes to explode whenever the jumpscare finally came and then it was just... that.

I don't get it. Is it good cause it's not loud or over the top?

Last edited:

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
A well placed jump scare can add so much. They're used quite often as a crutch though. Where they are accentuated with an overly loud sound cue, and often for something as mundane as a new character entering the frame. The filmmakers that use them correctly understand that there should be dynamics involved. They tell a story unto itself. Volume plays a key role where silence can be as important as a loud bang.

The two films I often bring up for comparison are Halloween and Halloween: H20. The former executes its jump scare excellently and they are sequenced in the film perfectly to get the desired effect. Like having no music when Laurie bumps into the sheriff, but later on going all out on the closet ambush. H20 though, is about as scary as an episode of Sesame Street. The scares happen to frequently and are at the same level of intensity which desensitizes the viewer for the moments that should be the most effective.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Surprised no one has posted the GOAT jump scare yet.

giphy.gif

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I like their use in Hereditary, it basically happens once and it's very light but it totally works

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
I hate that in many cases the 'jump' is not really about scary things suddenly appear on screen, but just this mostly silent scene suddenly has scare chords at maximum volume.

RadioHeadAche

Oct 26, 2017
I always felt that jump scares are cheap tactics to scare an audience. I love horror that can build fear out of atmosphere, sound, the acting, or dialogue. One of my favorite things about Silent Hill 2 is that there isn't a single jumpscare in the game. It uses darkness, sounds, and its scale of areas to put fear into you.
There is in one of the prison bathrooms.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
Hate it. Good horror movie should make you feel uneasy throughout the film, not having the audience wait for that "gotcha!" moment.

Mar 3, 2019
Its lazy and feels cheap. A film that relies on it solely has to do so because it has no actual substance to be scary.

Future Gazer

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I love a good cheesy jump scare. They're fun, especially when you know they're coming but they still fuck you up.

Vault

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
jump scares have ruined modern horror movies

rather than well crafted tension they just stick a jump scare in with a loud noise and call it a day.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Rather than well crafted tension, they just stick a jump scare in with a loud noise and call it a day.

This is my main issue with jump scares nowadays.

It isn't usually anything built around tension or an increasingly atmospheric scenario, it is just 'something happens on screen' + 'an unnecessarily loud noise' = a very, very cheap and unrewarding jump scare.

The new Child's Play film (with Mark Hamill voicing Chucky) is especially terrible for this...

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
It can be good, if it's not ruined by crappy foreshadowing.
Prefer slow building suspension though.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Jump scares are usually a lazy substitute for good craft. Any director who can't use them in moderation should not use them at all.

My favorite kinds of horror movies use atmosphere, implication, and the unknown to create suspense. A movie that can do that well is entitled to a few jump scares.

For example, take the Alien scene where the facehugger is somewhere in the medical bay. The scene evokes the relatable experience of looking for a mouse or a spider in a room. Every dark corner and concealed nook is filled with dreadful possibility. The tension builds as we quietly scan the room. Only after the suspense reaches unbearable intensity do we get the release of a jump scare, which turns out to be a red herring to set us up for a second scare before we're ready for it.

Another example, from The Witch, is the ever-present woods next to the family's house. We're shown early on that the woods contain a nasty threat. With that setup, every scene shows its border or lingers on the wall of trees had a sinister air. The movie doesn't have to constantly throw startling moments in our faces to keep us tense.

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
At least the one in the OP involves the monster. I hate those, for example in paranormal activity, in which a cat just jumps at the camera for no reason and is accompanied by a loud noise coming from no one knows where.
As a nervous person I always fall for every jump scare even when I see them coming from a mile.