• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How do you feel about these types of games?

• I just can't.

Votes: 388 28.6%
  • I try to ignore the uncomfortable parts.

Votes: 429 31.6%
  • WELL ACTUALLY...

Votes: 541 39.8%

• Total voters

Timewarp

Oct 27, 2017
They'd be better without.
Genshin Impact would be way better if most characters weren't scantily clad 13 year olds. But it's still a good game.
I was having the same thought earlier today, and was wondered how I would feel if it were a game with highly sexualized males. My next thought was of <instert avatar quote here> (DMC), and my thought still stands. I just can't deal. I know sex sells but fan service at these levels is gross to me.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
I can tolerate some of them (like Persona) but others are just too much.
don't like gacha at all, but league style skins or straight up waifu characters like neir or persona are dope
Okay so you guys think a game where your teacher can date the underage MC is forgivable? Isn't statutory assault too far?
Similarly for stuff like Persona 5, where they're masquerading like they're trying to be deep and tackle real world issues, but then they objectify their female characters a ton and pull shit like letting you date your own HS teacher who moonlights as a maid fetish girl.
Thank you thank you thank you. Why do even teenagers like how anti-authoritarian the series is? It's written by guys who think that dating your teacher is hot and that Ann hating her outfit and guys trying to assault Ryuji is funny. The writers absolutely cannot break out of the mold of society and think about morality for themselves based on how actions affect victims.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
A well-made game with attractive female characters is the same as a well-made game with attractive male characters.

It's a well-made game.

Nier Automata is one of my favourite games of all time, and I'm really enjoying Persona 5 Royal at the moment, so I guess I'm a Waifu man now.

Oh and I love Fire Emblem too! Shit, I've been down this rabbit hole for years without realizing.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A well-made game with attractive female characters is the same as a well-made game with attractive male characters.

It's a well-made game.

Nier Automata is one of my favourite games of all time, and I'm really enjoying Persona 5 Royal at the moment, so I guess I'm a Waifu man now.

your avatar is samus, the original waifu

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
your avatar is samus, the original waifu
WrKPhfd.gif

Aug 13, 2019
I try to avoid them. In the cases that I do play them, like Genshin Impact, I try to ignore it to the best of my ability. Couldn't quite ignore some of Genshin Impact's character choices, so I dropped the game.

Edit: and with Xenoblade Chronicles 2 it was Tora's story, and Tora in general, that made me drop it.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
I absolutely believe that people being weird about buttbot is a material portion of the fanbase which thinks Nier is "one of the best games of all time".
This level of reductionism has rustled my jimmies, I'll have you know.

I've never once seen a single argument about Nier being one of the best games ever made be centered around 2B's design. It's the storytelling that people love. It's one of the most innovate stories in video games, and is a story that can only be effectively told through this medium. That's why it's one of the best games of all time. Many of the things that people love about it are also true in the first game, which gets just as much praise for those elements. Only reason automata is held in higher regard is A: recency B: sales/exposure C: the gameplay itself isn't ass, which factors into B quite a bit.

If there's enough "cringe" in it that you can't get past, that's fine, not everything can be for everyone, but really it's not hard to recognize what makes the game special if you've actually played it.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Okay so you guys think a game where your teacher can date the underage MC is forgivable? Isn't statutory assault too far?

Forgivable isn't the right word. I don't like that the game lets you do that, but that's not even the grossest confidant. That badge of dishonor goes to Futaba who was very clearly included to cater to a very specific audience with very specific (read: disgusting and illegal) interests.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
It's hilarious to me people go lengths to defend the sexualization in Nier Automata. I don't think it's that great, but that's my opinion. It is oversexualized weeb bait, though. That's definitely true. I can't take the game seriously at all. And I can't take people who like it seriously either. But you do you I guess.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
It's hilarious to me people go lengths to defend the sexualization in Nier Automata. I don't think it's that great, but that's my opinion. It is oversexualized weeb bait, though. That's definitely true. I can't take the game seriously at all. And I can't take people who like it seriously either. But you do you I guess.
But 2B's cheeks hanging out are a part of her character development
The fuck are those poll choices
The truth.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I can't do any waifu games. Hard nope. Dead on arrival. Too old, have a daughter, not interested at all. If you like them (based on sales and quantity of games a lot do), go for it but it's not for me.

Aug 13, 2019
OH!, and Fire Emblem's more recent games that are... ugh. But it's a lot easier to ignore because you have to trigger the S rank conversations so you can just not with Dear-god-no characters or even have them run out and die in a fight. You won't be missed Nowi.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Nier is about as far as I can go. Yoko Taro's horniness is not endearing and the game would be better without it.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Surely you can see merit to other aspects of the game's direction even if you dislike the sexualisation? Your post is half accepting that others have different takes on the game, and half dismissing them saying you can't take them seriously because of an aspect of the game they may not even be particularly enamoured with.

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
What? I didn't know it was a genre. I thought "waifu" is like a synonym for "best girl". And literally anyone and anything can be "best girl". I've seen jokes about guys being "best girl"/waifu.

Nier automata does not scream "waifu game" to me at all. It features 2 traditionally attractive women characters but I didn't know that's all it took to be a waifu game. That's ignoring like 90% of what that game is all about.

Idk feels too general. Weird thread.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thread needs a reboot

"Waifu should be replaced women with heavy fanservice"

"Highbrow should be replaced with critically well received"

and then we can have an actual conversation

I'm pretty sure the same people that would play Atelier Ryza aren't exactly the same people that would play Nier Automata. I would expect some crossover but not much.

Nephrahim

Jun 9, 2018
Thread needs a reboot

I'm pretty sure the same people that would play Atelier Ryza aren't exactly the same people that would play Nier Automata. I would expect some crossover but not much.
This. I have no idea what "Highbrow Waifu" means.

OP
OP
brawndolicious
Oct 27, 2017
Thread needs a reboot

I don't think the results would be different at all. I think everyone understood what "waifu" meant in this context and the only reason I said "highbrow"/well-made games or whatever is to include games that people would play despite the sexy maid costumes. I've heard that some great game studios include fanservice elements to attract more sales to their otherwise decent games and I think we got an idea of how big that market is.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
User Banned (Permanent): Misogynistic boys club rhetoric; prior severe bans for sexist commentary and homophobic language.
Something about anime sensibilities in videogames comes across as stiff or stilted to me even if Nier Autotomatoes is the best in terms of story, i see no reason you cant enjoy doing some video game combos while appreciating 2B's beautiful smackable ass

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
My automata experience was fighting with the camera trying to upskirt 2B whenever I dash. 2B has a not groan worthy design (excluding that no skirt thing) while say genshin impact is jam packed with lazer focused stale, groan worthy women designs

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Surely you can see merit to other aspects of the game's direction even if you dislike the sexualisation? Your post is half accepting that others have different takes on the game, and half dismissing them saying you can't take them seriously because of an aspect of the game they may not even be particularly enamoured with.
I can see the merit of a lot of things I don't like. That doesn't mean I respect them.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Its way easier for me to digest those anime tropes because it's intentionally obtuse. Most attempt of making "real characters" in game are just poorly executed.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
Is this a serious question?
Yes?

Are we going to ignore all the other great things the game does? What about it's amazing story. What about the incredible soundtrack. What about all the other endearing characters that aren't sexy? What about the way it displays subtext through gameplay, something that can only be done through the medium of video games?

No, it's a waifu game. Because apparently that's what the game is about, not the story, gameplay, art or themes.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the results would be different at all. I think everyone understood what "waifu" meant in this context and the only reason I said "highbrow"/well-made games or whatever is to include games that people would play despite the sexy maid costumes. I've heard that some great game studios include fanservice elements to attract more sales to their otherwise decent games and I think we got an idea of how big that market is.

Highbrow has different connotations though

Highbrow means something scholarly or refined in taste.

People can make an argument that the themes Nier explores is well worth the price of admission, (the price being dealing with 2B's design) but that argument would fall a little flat with Ryza, since that doesn't really do complex themeimg and is much more lax.

Different people have different standards and highbrow isn't really reflective of that.

The reason why I proposed using well received games is to allow for games that don't have to try to be refined and does what it needs to do well to still be considered for discussion.

Also the waifu distinction is sorely needed because waifus don't have to be badly or super fanservice designed or even have jiggle physics to be waifus.

Peach, Rosalina and Daisy are pretty easy VG waifus for starters and their designs aren't offensive at all.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes?

Are we going to ignore all the other great things the game does? What about it's amazing story. What about the incredible soundtrack. What about all the other endearing characters that aren't sexy? What about the way it displays subtext through gameplay, something that can only be done through the medium of video games?

No, it's a waifu game. Because apparently that's what the game is about, not the story, gameplay, art or themes.
Yes, it's a great game overall, no one is dismissing its great points. But it definitely has waifu pandering to attract bigger audience. Even the director admitted that he likes butts so he designed 2B like the way she is. They even went out of their way to model her butthole.