• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was just listening to Chopin's Nocturnes and remembered this game's existence. IIRC it was one of the first JRPGs released that generation and scored pretty decently. The concept was incredibly imaginative with the game taking place in a dream world in Chopin's head while on his death bed with Chopin actually being a character in the game lol. I played it for a bit but didn't get too far in it and remembered enjoying the combat for the most part.

How do you feel about this game? Would you want a remaster? The graphics and art style seem like they'd look great in 1080p or 4K.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I liked it for the presentation and the gameplay, and if can you brave the batshit, long winded story.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I enjoyed it more than it deserved. Like, I was willing to overlook a lot of obvious flaws because I liked the presentation.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I always wanted to get it but never got the chance, hoping for a modern port of it on the consoles and PC.
One of the prettiest JRPGs from last gen. Would love a Switch remaster.

What the hell is an "isekai"? Is this a recent buzzword or something?

It means a story genre of a regular person getting transported to another world that has Fantasy/Sci-Fi elements like Magic, monsters, etc. Its honestly one of my most favorite genres alongside Shonen.

Its not even a new thing - ERA just discovering it cause of Forspoken/Project Athia.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I only remember it because of the 20-minute long character death scene that has multiple flashbacks inside of it, including one flashback to earlier in the same scene.

Oct 27, 2017
Still one of the most beautiful games I've ever played. Just look at this:

72d0dd9d154c923b7b2b4f2f8178f1e7.jpg

A well orchestrated soundtrack, and a really innovative battle system as well.

But the characters and story were...awful. Like I don't say that about a lot of games, but yeah, it was bad.

The game is still such an absolute delight to experience. I think a good way of putting it is this: it was the last of the PS2 RPGs, despite not being on the PS2.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I really liked it, I can't remember much about it , but I liked those little bits where it hits played a piece by Chopin and gave some random info about the story of his life

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
My biggest memories of this game are Viola being extremely broken if you stood all the way across the arena and one character having a death scene that felt like it went on for 30 minutes.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017

But the characters and story were...awful. Like I don't say that about a lot of games, but yeah, it was bad.

The game is still such an absolute delight to experience. I think a good way of putting it is this: it was the last of the PS2 RPGs, despite not being on the PS2.
I guess it was the first HD Cel Shaded RPG I played so I have a bit of a soft spot because of that, and it's just a memorable experience.

Dec 14, 2017
One of my favorite jrpgs. Only played the 360 version without the extra content, would love for that version to come to pc/modern platforms.

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
The visuals and battle system are great, the characters and story not so much. Definitely worth a playthrough and one of the more memorable jrpgs from that gen.

Tigerfog

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
The battle system was super cool, as per Tri-Ace standards and the graphics and music were fantastic.
Too bad the story's pacing is a trainwreck.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I played through 75% of this on PS3 and I still couldn't tell you if I thought it was good or bad.
It just kinda existed, with this strange turn based action real time combat involving light and shadow that somehow worked just well enough.

I wouldn't really recommend it but damn if that standard battle theme wasn't tops

I feel like it's mainly remembered these days for still looking really nice visually and having the most inane death scene in video game history

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
I've never been able to play it and I desperately wish it was on Xbox backwards compatibility so I could.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I played it in 2009 or 2010 and remember enjoying just getting to play an okay JRPG with decent presentation on PS3. There was an agonizing lack of that on PS3 at the time(and FF13 really disappointed me).

Never beat it though. Doubt I missed out on much, honestly.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
This and Blue Dragon made it really feel like the 360 might get better Japanese support than the Xbox did.

It didn't really pan out that way, but it was fun to dream.

I never ended up beating the dungeon where
you revive Claves, which also makes you suffering through her obnoxiously long death scene all the more obnoxious

I've never been able to play it and I desperately wish it was on Xbox backwards compatibility so I could.

I don't know how this hasn't happened yet. It was such a major part of Microsoft's push for the 360 in Japan, I would've thought this was a high priority title to get working just for the sake of what few japanese xbox players they have left.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Great game, don't really remember the story.

Made it all the way to the final boss but never beat it for some reason.

Oct 27, 2017
Also, I'm going to be forever mad that Tri-Crescendo got to make three great games (this, Fragile Dreams, Digimon Re:Digitize) and instead of establishing them as a new development arm, Namco just put them on supporting bigger games and we haven't gotten anything new from them since.

Which is weird because Namco doesn't even own them?

OP
OP

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, I'm going to be forever mad that Tri-Crescendo got to make three great games (this, Fragile Dreams, Digimon Re:Digitize) and instead of establishing them as a new development arm, Namco just put them on supporting bigger games and we haven't gotten anything new from them since.

Really would like a copy of Fragile Dreams but it's quite expensive these days for a used copy.

Oct 25, 2017

This really does look excellent, damn. Kinda want to play it now.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
The beginning of the end of my love for JRPGs.

Possibly the most exhausting, drawn out, and tiresome scenes I've ever witnessed in any visual medium ever. It being so exaggerated and obvious started making me hyper-aware of the trope in other games like it. Constant exposition and repetition of the same things over and over. Fuck off already!

Beautiful visuals though.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
I really liked learning about Chopin, and it looks great. Some of the voice acting and characters were awful, though.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

Don't forget Baten Kaitos. When is Nintendo going to buy that IP and let Monolith Kyoto and tri-Crescendo bring it back?

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I only remember it because of the 20-minute long character death scene that has multiple flashbacks inside of it, including one flashback to earlier in the same scene.
That scene is nothing.. the whole story was batshit insane, the very final scene
a caterpillar talking to 'Mr.Snail' in space, with no context
It's just a bizarre work of art I guess.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
It was an alright game, gameplay was enjoyable enough. The cutscenes can be pretty tedious though. Just constantly over explaining. Doesn't really trust the audience to try and understand themselves, and instead beats you over the head with its themes from what I remember of it. It also jumps the shark at the end...

Its not even a new thing - ERA just discovering it cause of Forspoken/Project Athia.
At least from my perspective I've just never heard the term used.

I obviously knew it's a common theme among games/anime etc, but just didn't know there was a term for it, lol.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
It's not completely awful, but there just wasn't enough there to keep me interested for more than an hour or 10.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Beautiful game, but its head is far up its own ass.

Was also the first game to make me rage quit, and never look back.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Gorgeous game with a good combat system and a story that is serviceable until you finish the first half of the game, then it just goes off the rails and becomes something truly execrable, resembling less of a narrative and more of an encoded cry for help from the developers to come rescue them from whatever Misery scenario they were being subjected to in order to force them to finish this game.

It's the only time I've ever been angry at a game's ending, and going back through it to get rid of my odd achievement number was rough. As soon as I got the last EZI piece and that 321-point (!!!) achievement, I turned the console off. Not the game, the console. Didn't even save.

Fuck this game.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I remember really enjoying it. It was back when JRPGs were kind of in low supply so I appreciated them when they did come along. I'm not sure if I would ever replay it though. I mainly remember it being pretty and having some decent music. I think Viola was my favourite party member because of her long range attacks.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
It was an average game with a pretty aesthetic, beautiful soundtrack and a really imaginative premise. I want to like it more than I do but really appreciate the idea behind it.

JoeyJungle

Oct 27, 2017
This and Infinite Undiscovery are two games I always forget existed. Always been interested in playing both, hope they get some kind of port.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Alright game, the dungeons and towns are honestly better than we've seen in Tales games for a long time, dialogue was going too much for Shakespeare at times though and it got a bit tedious

Combat was fun but a bit too lacking in depth for a game that length

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
It was ok i remember it started ok and got worse and worse by the end nothing much made sense.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Beautiful game
Painfully repetitive. There is virtually no variation between how you fight from encounter to encounter. What you do on the first boss is what you do on the last and it's got absolutely nothing to pick up the slack. Just a really boring game to play.

Also has one of the most hilarious end credits in video game history in which the characters verbose begin explaining the metaphors in the game to you, the player.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS

Tri-crescendo always came across more as a support dev than a company who wanted to break out on it's own. The vast majority of their credits were sound programming for tri-ace games, or co-production duties.

Eternal Sonata and Digimon were the only two things they've ever did solo (Fragile was co-production with Namco). Honestly they were more the exception than the rule for them.
This and Infinite Undiscovery are two games I always forget existed. Always been interested in playing both, hope they get some kind of port.

At least Infinite is backwards compatible on Xbox platforms so it's still playable (and purchase-able) today. Eternal just seems to have been left behind.

Lime Blockade

Aug 4, 2018
Sad it was like one of the few Bamco games that weren't made BC with the Xbox One. Would have been a good excuse to go back and finish it.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember liking it and hoping it would become BC on Xbox so I could play it again someday.

Oct 27, 2017
Don't forget Baten Kaitos. When is Nintendo going to buy that IP and let Monolith Kyoto and tri-Crescendo bring it back?

I'm still confused of that IP is Namco's or Monolith Soft's. Not like it matters much, we got KOS-MOS and TELOS in Xenoblade 2.

Tri-crescendo always came across more as a support dev than a company who wanted to break out on it's own. The vast majority of their credits were sound programming for tri-ace games, or co-production duties.

Eternal Sonata and Digimon were the only two things they've ever did solo (Fragile was co-production with Namco). Honestly they were more the exception than the rule for them.

That's a fair assessment, but it did feel like there was potential there. Would've been nice to have another Tri-Ace like developer, which is funny since Tri-Ace itself was former Wolf Team folk wanting to go solo away from Namco lol.