• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I used to drink them when I was younger. They were alright, but they never really made me not tired. Then again, I'm never not tired

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
If you drink enough of them, you get addicted to them, and the effects wear off, and you will drink more to keep that high... until you develop heart palpatations... so yeah, don't.

Is there actually anything in them that does this, that you wouldn't get the exact same thing from coffee? I'm pretty sure they are mostly caffeine, a load of vitamins and maybe sugar. Taking vitamins isn't going to get you addicted so it's probably just regular caffeine withdrawal

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Energy drinks' potency is a function of the amount of sugar and caffeine per ML. Everything else is not likely to produce the energy boost in the short term.

That said, I highly prefer Red Bull. Monster is (far) second, but 500 ML is too much for me.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Usually prefer coffee, but might grab an energy drink if I have to work an extra long shift.

Monster is the best brand, especially the "ultra" label ones--those are the ones with zero calories. Red Bull is overpriced and lacking in interesting flavors. Usually don't bother with Rockstar since Monster exists, but Rockstar tends to be cheaper in some stores.

I actually bought one of Monster's new HYDRO waters today. Sorta their answer to a gatorade or vitamin water. Kinda like it, but it's a bit more expensive than those other products.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
If you drink enough of them, you get addicted to them, and the effects wear off, and you will drink more to keep that high... until you develop heart palpatations... so yeah, don't.

Holy shit you posted exactly what I came here to post and you summed it up perfectly.

Is there actually anything in them that does this, that you wouldn't get the exact same thing from coffee? I'm pretty sure they are mostly caffeine, a load of vitamins and maybe sugar. Taking vitamins isn't going to get you addicted so it's probably just regular caffeine withdrawal

I think it's maybe to do with the type of caffeine? Coffee produces it naturally but they shove a ton of additive caffeine in energy drinks, that being said after binge drinking energy drinks in my teens I feel like shit even when I have coffee now, that's why I always get decaf.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I have them in the summer every now and then instead of my morning coffee when it's too hot. Otherwise nah, I just stick to 1 coffee when I arrive at work and 1 after lunch.

Nov 23, 2017
My friend's step mom wound up with heart failure and nearly died from drinking those things. The only reason she survived was because she was already in the ER. If she was at home or anywhere else, she probably would've been a goner.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2012/12/the-buzz-on-energy-drink-caffeine/index.htm
Consumer%20Reports%20December%202012%20Energy%20Drinks

Having one every so often isn't that bad for you, but these things are addicting. Everyone that I know that drinks these, drink 2 or 3 during the day, and usually before lunch. Most of those cans are considered two or three servings alone. Some, like Red Bull, still use the little one serving size cans, but you won't really find them in the coolers at gas stations.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I actually really like the sugar free Red Bull, but I drink it sparingly. Only a few a year. It's really good for the afternoon, if I'm tired and I need to perk up for some work and be alert. It actually does work, whereas afternoon coffee often just makes me sweaty without any actual energy.

I do get really grossed out by seeing people drinking these massive cans of energy drink at like 7 AM on the subway. They always look really unhealthy too, like splotchy complexions and greasy hair. Correlation is not causation I know, but I still would never make it a daily habit.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
the only averse side effect* you get from regular energy drink consumption is it'll muck up your digestive fauna and flora. even though i'm like 10% body fat after working a long shift and binging on rockstars i'll have a grandpa belly and its not fat, it's just nothing's moving through my stomach like it should. fortunately its nothing a few days of fiber and probiotics won't fix

*this is assuming you stick with carb free/sugar free stuff, have no averse sensitivity to caffeine

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I was addicted to Monster for over 10 years. When I quit drinking them, I was drinking 3 to 4 cans a day.

However, I started drinking a lot more coffee and tea to make up for not drinking energy drinks. But I had to cut back on coffee and tea because my stomach acid levels were getting really high.

Now I'm back on energy drinks, although I've switched to Red Bull and I limit myself to one 12oz can a day.

Oct 27, 2017
I try to stay away from caffeine. Most I'll do is a 20 oz coke or prepackaged coffee during the day. But I try not to have them at all as well.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Never found one that tastes decent and I don't really have trouble waking up or staying awake. My issue is more in trying to get to sleep.

MontlyCure

Oct 27, 2017
FL
I like the sugar free Monster that comes in the white can as a substitute for regular diet soda but I have never felt anything from drinking one. I'll occasionally grab one on break at work but never outside of it.

Eating a small snack works much better for me than any energy drink I've ever tried.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely LOVE the taste of energy drinks but I can't drink them because they REALLY mess with my vertigo. I get super light headed, even after like, half of a can.

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm addicted, I try to never have more than 1 a day though. (both because I'd be spending a ton and because I assume it'd be pretty bad for me, ha)

Thing is I don't drink them for energy either, i just love the taste of certain ones. In fact it's to the point where they don't give me a boost in energy or anything anyway, can chug one before bed with no issues.

Creatchee

Oct 26, 2017
Sarasota, Florida
Dental industry professional here: their acidity is pretty bad for your teeth. If you insist on drinking them, drink water in conjunction to dilute the acid and raise the overall pH you're creating in your mouth. Also, brushing afterwards is good, but wait about an hour for your enamel to harden back up. You can actually do more harm than good if you brush immediately after ingesting an energy drink.

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a fan and they don't seem healthy, especially if ingesting large doses. About 10 years ago in school, my friend slammed a can down in front of me after I told him I had never tried one. I took a sip and shortly after I was all hopped up and jittery. I didn't like that feeling and never tried another one since. If people feel the need to drink this stuff to wake themselves up (which is what I often hear) maybe they should try getting more sleep. But I don't know how everyone lives their lives, either, so I don't say anything.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Dental industry professional here: their acidity is pretty bad for your teeth. If you insist on drinking them, drink water in conjunction to dilute the acid and raise the overall pH you're creating in your mouth. Also, brushing afterwards is good, but wait about an hour for your enamel to harden back up. You can actually do more harm than good if you brush immediately after ingesting an energy drink.

Yeah, that's another reason to avoid them. Good tip either way.

Rodan

Nov 3, 2017
They must give me a decent endorphin boost because my mood improves dramatically when I have a cold Monster in hand

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
I used to drink a decent amount of Monsters and Red Bull during my time in the service, I even had some co-workers that would drink one or two big Monsters a day.
Eventually I switched over to Monster Rehab because they had far fewer calories/sugars, I liked the Peach and Pink Lemonade ones a lot.
Now I don't drink energy drinks unless I'm taking a road trip somewhere.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think there is more to it than just that.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In a perfect world, Xanax would be able to be taken long term until death with no consequence.
Yes agree. I did take that for abt 3 months a couple nights a week after a month or so I started noticing problems with my short term memory where I could just lose large gaps of time and that scared me.

It worked great in getting me to sleep though. I've never slept better than when I was on it.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
I never found energy drinks to help me stay awake or alert but I really did enjoy the taste of some of the Monster varieties and Red Bull. I think I had a Monster everyday at breakfast during a few years in college.

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
Generally have one a day with my Tesco meal deal. The Punch Monster is god tier, but I'm starting to think they don't stock them on the foyer anymore, as I haven't seen them in the fridge for months. I've been drinking the White sugar free 'healthier' option in the absence of my go to, and I must say it's become my reserve flavour of choice. Probably better for my teeth too.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
I used to be pretty bad with energy drinks. I go on and off with drinking one a day for a few weeks then stop for a while. The problem with energy drinks, the effect you get drinking them gradually gets lower and lower each time, so eventually I could drink one and nap almost immediately afterwards if I was tired. But I always had to do the 0 sugar ones as the regular ones have so much sugar it's insane.

Invicta Fide

Oct 28, 2017
I used to love those things but I had one too many in a single day and I legitimately thought I was having a heart attack or something that night while lying in bed. I stopped cold turkey and have never looked back. I actually gave up all caffeine and now I think I must be super sensitive to it, because I get super anxious even with a little bit.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
I used to love those things but I had one too many in a single day and I legitimately thought I was having a heart attack or something that night while lying in bed. I stopped cold turkey and have never looked back. I actually gave up all caffeine and now I think I must be super sensitive to it, because I get super anxious even with a little bit.

Are you me? These things suck. Stay away if you can, people. Waste of money. Get more sleep, exercise and eat right.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Needful things. Dollar Tree has good deals, 7-11 has great deals, Rockstar Pure Zero always.

Caffeine pill and soda are alternative.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
I hate the sodium content. Most of them are, like, 16% DV in the can. Only Monster Ultra Sunrise is acceptable.

I liked the lemon version too, but I think it was discontinued.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Used to love energy drinks as a teen. I felt like I was nearly going to have a heart attack after I consumed a large quantity of them once in university. I stopped drinking them for a long period after that incident and only now have them on occasion when having jagerbombs with friends.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I drink a cheap zero-calories 333ml can from the super market every morning for 0.59€. I don't drink coffee or smoke otherwise, so that's my daily morning poison.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
I drink them quite frequently. From that frequency I've done my best to comb the research available.

Most of it seems to be fear mongering in regards to heart stuff. Everybody focuses on the effect it may have on your heart. Caffeine has no longer term side effects. Those with heart issues will have issues with caffeine. Energy drinks make the caffeine more effective due to B12, making more issues.

The real issues are the sugar and carbonation. I drink sugar free to avoid that problem. They destroy your teeth over time as well as disturb the acidic levels in your stomach.

And LOL at people saying they use a more addictive caffeine. Your body will get addicted to it no matter its source.