• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, Hazelnut milk is legit the best I've ever tried.

Thing is, I don't get the feeling of drinking milk from it. Feels like I'm drinking a very light Ferrero Rocher milkshake.
Accurate description. Will have to see how it works in drinks and cereal since that's most of my milk consumption but by itself it's really good.

Riskbreaker

Nov 1, 2017
All of them are trash for various reasons.

Soy milk is bland and tasteless, as is almond milk.

Coconut milk has this off flavor like store brand coconut water that you don't taste in fresh coconuts. I don't know what that flavor is but it's awful.

Oat milk has an odd bitter aftertaste. Sometimes has that same flavor as an attack? I guess? Is there a word for that? On entry, I guess?

Rice milk is thin and. . .I want to say gritty? Like almond milk.

I have been lactose intolerant since my early twenties. I am now in my late thirties. I stick to Whole Milk Lactaid, it's legit. Fairlife if I feel like burning money. No other milk matches the flavor and creamyness of cow's milk.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Almond milk (with a dash of vanilla) is some real good shit--haven't looked back ever since transitioning.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
You cant even legally call them milk in the UK. They are always called things like 100% Almond or Cashew Life.

Yuck. No thank you. Cow or bust.

tsab

Nov 3, 2017
I don't consider them "milk" technically but I dont mind people calling them milk. Personally I've tried almond and soy milk, didn't liked it.
Donkey milk is where at but it's a rare commodity in Greece (only a few micro farms produce it)

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I feel like I've tasted them all and they're all gross af. I'm lactose intolerant so it's either picking between being bloated all day or drink what tastes like gross water

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been doing oat milk for hte last almost month

PRO
- lasts way longer than regular milk (best before is like 2 months out)
- tastes fine with coffee or on it's own, I liked soylent and its cheaper than soylent
- comes in Vanilla, Chocolate, and Plain
- get your Vit D and Calcium
- no gassiness
- didn't like soy or almond milk

CON
- costs a bit more, need to look for sales, but it lasts longer so stock up

Oct 26, 2017
Seeing as this got bumped, I've made a new discovery:

"Alpro Growing Up Drink"

It's for kids, and it's soya based, but DAMN is it tasty! Obviously still not 1:1 with cow milk, but in my opinion as someone who drank milk several times a day it's a very good approximation. I've been using it for porridge, cereal and as a drink with snacks, and I'm loving it! Give it a try if you see it

OP
OP
Septimus Prime

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing as this got bumped, I've made a new discovery:

"Alpro Growing Up Drink"

It's for kids, and it's soya based, but DAMN is it tasty! Obviously still not 1:1 with cow milk, but in my opinion as someone who drank milk several times a day it's a very good approximation. I've been using it for porridge, cereal and as a drink with snacks, and I'm loving it! Give it a try if you see it
Not joking: have you had baby formula? And if so, how does this compare?

I ended up drinking a lot of leftover formula when my son didn't finish a bottle (no reuse, so it was either that or just toss it), and it wasn't bad at all.

Conmex

Banned
May 19, 2018
All of them are trash for various reasons.

Soy milk is bland and tasteless, as is almond milk.

Coconut milk has this off flavor like store brand coconut water that you don't taste in fresh coconuts. I don't know what that flavor is but it's awful.

Oat milk has an odd bitter aftertaste. Sometimes has that same flavor as an attack? I guess? Is there a word for that? On entry, I guess?

Rice milk is thin and. . .I want to say gritty? Like almond milk.

I have been lactose intolerant since my early twenties. I am now in my late thirties. I stick to Whole Milk Lactaid, it's legit. Fairlife if I feel like burning money. No other milk matches the flavor and creamyness of cow's milk.
I recently switched to raw milk and ive been able to digest it properly.

If raw milk is illegal where you live try low heat pasteurized unhomogenized milk. That one also sat a bit better in my stomach.

Oct 26, 2017
Not joking: have you had baby formula? And if so, how does this compare?

I ended up drinking a lot of leftover formula when my son didn't finish a bottle (no reuse, so it was either that or just toss it), and it wasn't bad at all.

I have not, sorry! This stuff tastes a little sweet, and a tiny bit fatty (I'd compare it to semi-skimmed milk). If you see some I'd say pick it up to try.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
This is kinda related to milk, but I bought some dairy free Halo Top yesterday(made with coconut milk instead of milk) and it was absolutely disgusting.

I've had ice cream made with coconut milk before and it was pretty good, not sure how Halo Top fucked theirs up.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
I have started drinking oat milk and quite like it. It uses like 7 times less water and I'm lactose intolerant anyway, so it was a good call I think. Chocolate oat milk definitely hides the sorta weird aftertaste better but either way, I actually enjoy drinking it, as opposed to almond, cashew and soy, which I all despised.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is kinda related to milk, but I bought some dairy free Halo Top yesterday(made with coconut milk instead of milk) and it was absolutely disgusting.

I've had ice cream made with coconut milk before and it was pretty good, not sure how Halo Top fucked theirs up.

Halo top is the second worst vegan ice cream I've tried, after Perfect World.

OP
OP
Septimus Prime

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Halo Top sucks, that's how.

Riskbreaker

Nov 1, 2017
I recently switched to raw milk and ive been able to digest it properly.

If raw milk is illegal where you live try low heat pasteurized unhomogenized milk. That one also sat a bit better in my stomach.
I don't see a situation in which I would ever try raw milk.

Pasteurization was created for a reason. That and my brother and his family tried it and got mudbutt for like a week.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Cashew milk in my iced mocha is alright. Tried oat milk, and maybe it was the brand, but it kinda sucked. Almond was okay.

I don't really use milk in any other context except maybe cooking.

cHaotix

Oct 25, 2017
I've been slowly Been using unsweetened pea-based vegetable milk for a few months now and it's fine. Has a higher protein and micro nutrient content than other milks with none of the bad side effects of soy milk. I mostly use it in shakes and overnight oats. I'm not really lactose intolerant but dairy has some negative effects on the body so I've been trying to cut back on it where I can.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
just need to find one that doesn't actively detract from tea and I'm all set.

hazelnut and oat are ok to drink on their own, chocolate oat mik has really grown on me. none are great for a nice cuppa

signal

Oct 28, 2017
X7cKdGb.png

🤔

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I'm old and out of touch, but since when was 'milks' used as a plural? This is not the first time I've seen it used on this site.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly thought I had already posted here, but it probably was the burger one.

On topic, not a fan at all, they make me sick (as in stomachaches).

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But while I think they taste fine to drink, man, they all freaking suck on cereal.

I feel the same way, it's the thickness (or lack of) that ruins them for me. I traditionally have drank whole milk, so I expect my milk to be thick and creamy.

That said, I've been putting greek yogurt on cereal for a while in an effort to reduce my milk drinking, and it works really well as a milk substititue. Obviously different taste (but one I like) but the thickness is there and thus it feels more right than some watery silk.

I can't eat cereal ATM because of keto, tho.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
After becoming more knowledgable on the practises of the dairy industry, the puss generates from the over sucked cow nipples and the perpetual cycle of impregnation, the antibiotics pumped into the cow coming through into the milk and removing the calf from its mother so it can't drink the liquid gold, I don't think I'll ever touch cows milk again.

anyrning that requires milk I just do without aka no more cereal and black coffees (or with almond milk occasionally, although that has a seperate ecological issue).

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Loads better. Doesn't make my stomach feel like shit also doesn't have the problem of turning animals in factories where we forcefully inseminate them, then take away their calf's and keep doing this on repeat until they die.

Just need a good yogurt alternative that's better than the Icelandic stuff.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been doing oat milk for hte last almost month

PRO
- lasts way longer than regular milk (best before is like 2 months out)
- tastes fine with coffee or on it's own, I liked soylent and its cheaper than soylent
- comes in Vanilla, Chocolate, and Plain
- get your Vit D and Calcium
- no gassiness
- didn't like soy or almond milk

CON
- costs a bit more, need to look for sales, but it lasts longer so stock up
Just bit the bullet on the Oat Milk from Silk because I was tired of using dairy pills, this shit is really fucking worth it.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
I use whole milk for cooking and baking but for cereal or anything I'm drinking I LOVE oat milk. Its legit better than cow milk in like every way.

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, people still drink NON plant milk?

Dude, just get over it - oat milk is amazing in cereal, lattes, everything...

Pea milk is probably the closest in viscosity to [puke] cow milk, and has tonnes of protein which is nice, just less common, more pricey, and missing some key nutrients.