• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
We drink cow milk but my sister was in town and bought oat milk...not too bad in a shake with its slightly nutty taste

Rackham

Oct 25, 2017
Almond and soy are great as regular drinks. They taste odd when mixed with cereal, tea or coffee

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Almond and Cashew are fine. Soy bothers my stomach. I hate milk in general so only use it on cereal or recipes that require it.

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They're fine. I'm trying to get away from cow's milk but most of the alternative milks have wack nutritional profiles. Either too much carbs or not enough protein. In that regards fairlife is the GOAT cows milk. Right now Flaxmilk with protein will probably be my alternative of choice. 60 cal, 1g of carbs, 8g of protein per cup.

OP
OP
Septimus Prime

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Tried Alpro "professional" soy milk today, woa, best one yet! Doesn't taste watery at all. Gonna keep that as my main 👍
I've always been partial to the Chinese soy milk brand, some I grew up with those. It's even like a staple of Taiwanese breakfast.

They're fine. I'm trying to get away from cow's milk but most of the alternative milks have wack nutritional profiles. Either too much carbs or not enough protein. In that regards fairlife is the GOAT cows milk. Right now Flaxmilk with protein will probably be my alternative of choice. 60 cal, 1g of carbs, 8g of protein per cup.
Yeah, I was really surprised by flax milk. It's definitely one of the best in my opinion, too.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
decent

i3MZVZX.jpg

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I haven't eaten anything with any dairy in it willingly in four years (there have been a few mistakes and likely several inclusions of butter and the like in reataurants, despite my best efforts), so they're essential.

Malk brand tastes like fucking wood pulp though

Infcabbage

Oct 28, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I drink almond milk nearly exclusively. Don't care much for soy, cashew and hazel are also great, could go either way on rice. I still eat cheese and other dairy products, but milk is a relatively painless thing to replace as some alternatives have gotten pretty cheap, and even taste better!

Xythantiops

Oct 27, 2017
I just bought some oat milk for the first time yesterday. Planet Oat milk unsweetened vanilla and I'm digging it. May make a permanent switch from almond.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
at first I could not fuck with them, but my wife switched over. So now what is ever n the fridge, which is usually Almond, I enjoy.
I do like this Fairlife brand as well. Just was not happy to hear about the recent shit with the animal abuse at their spot.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone saying it alt-milk tastes bad in tea or coffee should try this

XtKkC5d.jpg

It's amazing stuff. The best alt-milk by far. Usually sold out in places that sell it because it's that good.
I can second this, it's pretty good. Not quite as nice as regular milk but I'm happy using this from time to time.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Love almond milk and it's what I've been putting in my coffee for years.

This is also the greatest ice cream:

91WjTI2oMVL._SY355_.jpg

Dec 12, 2017
As a lactose intolerant person, I have had to switch but nothing really beats milk when it comes to beverages for me and so I switched to lactose free. I found soy to be my favourite alternative (despite the alt-right peddling bullshit about estrogen) and Oat milk is okay.

I used to drink almond milk but stopped a long while ago after finding that they are really wasteful to produce and have little nutritional value.
Try Lactaid milk. It's been a life saver. It is slightly sweeter, but it's actual milk.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Try Lactaid milk. It's been a life saver. It is slightly sweeter, but it's actual milk.

Not available in Canada or at least in Newfoundland. I have been on Natrel lactose free milk since over a year now. It works like charm (comes in the usual fat % as well chocolate flavour) and mixes just as well with the vegetarian protein powder as well pea and hemp protein isolates.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'm lactose-intolerant, so I've pretty much tried them all.

I use lactose-free regular milk for cooking. I usually use almond creamer in my coffee and I use oat milk in cereal.

A lot of the alternative milks still upset my stomach, but it's no where near as bad as regular milk does.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Not a fan. The consistency and texture don't compare to cow's milk. I don't much drink milk anyway. But if I want milk, I prefer cow's milk.

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't drink alternative milk but I have switched from regular supermarket 2% to Fairlife 2%. Wasn't prepared for how much thicker it was and I didn't like it much at first, but now I love it and it's all I can drink.

I don't make it with anything though, I just love drinking milk period.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are you people talking about texture. There is no consistent texture in plant milk. One brand can be literally water, while another can be stupidly thick.

I wouldn't ever describe something like Oatly Whole as "watery", for example.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I must be allergic to raw soy because when I tried some when testing it out for my kid, my throat was itchy for a few hours.

Raw soy as in store bought soy milk? In general, during the production of soy milk, the soy milk is brought to a simmer to remove the beany taste as well as deactivate allergenic enzymes. My guess would be that the temperature of that soy milk wasn't high enough.

I can highly recommend walnut milk. So far it's the creamiest of all nut milks I have tried/made.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't really care what you call them, but they have been lifesavers for me in my adult life.

In order, my favorites are Oat Milk > Cashew Milk > Almond Milk > Soy Milk....but for latte's or whatever I think Soy is still the best in terms of getting a good froth. Unsweetened Vanilla Oat Milk is legit good on its own and perfect in oatmeal or cereals.

OP
OP
Septimus Prime

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Pass on unsweetened. Real milk is sweetened with lactose, so sweetened alt-milk is a better approximation.

McPaul

Banned
May 6, 2019
I mean like almond milk, soy milk, oat milk, and the like.

Oat milk seems to be the new in thing. I tried it, and it tastes alright, but I don't really think it tastes all that different compared to almond milk.

But while I think they taste fine to drink, man, they all freaking suck on cereal. Oat milk, in particular, feels slimy and watery at the same time somehow. I thought it would make sense to use it on oat-based Cheerios, but no.

And how do you feel about calling them "milk"? Or should they be called "flavored drink"?
They're all trash.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Soy milk in America supermarkets is meh but I love Chinese soy milk.

Milk itself I don't really like drinking by itself. Good with sweets and cereals tho

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Only milk I use (still don't drink it straight). Prefer soy but recently switched to coconut milk.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I don't drink regular milk anymore, always opt for almond or soy. Just kinda, freaks me out a little. I eat cheese though, for now.

OP
OP
Septimus Prime

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Soy milk in America supermarkets is meh but I love Chinese soy milk.

Milk itself I don't really like drinking by itself. Good with sweets and cereals tho
I feel like the American soy milk brands just came get the consistency right. I think they're trying too hard to make it like milk instead of its own thing.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Cow milk is superior when it comes to baking and putting in coffee/tea. Even the lactose free stuff.

But I prefer Almond Milk when it comes to cereal.

I haven't found a good alt-milk for hot chocolate. Soy milk and oat milk are just ersatz milk. If anyone can recommend something that is at least as good as lactose-free milk for coffee and hot chocolate, I'm all ears.

I haven't had anything yet that comes closer than "4x more expensive but almost half as good as the worst milk".

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
I've never really enjoyed beef milk. It upsets my stomach. I like Silk's chocolate soy milk, but I rarely buy it, because it's fairly expensive.

I'm sure I would like some of the other "milks", but since I never drank milk to begin with, I don't have much desire to find an alternative.