• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1445

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The normal versions were okay, although not that great when heated up, or put in hot tea etc. But now there are these barista versions, they're great, just like normal milk. Normally go for either soy or oat milk.

I wish they'd sell a thicker version though, more creamy. All the ones now are on the watery side, like those super low fat milks. I'd gladly spend a few bucks more to get it thiiick 'n creamy.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
The normal versions were okay, although not that great when heated up, or put in hot tea etc. But now there are these barista versions, they're great, just like normal milk. Normally go for either soy or oat milk.

I wish they'd sell a thicker version though, more creamy. All the ones now are on the watery side, like those super low fat milks. I'd gladly spend a few bucks more to get it thiiick 'n creamy.
Get some alternative yogurts fam

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Yoghurts? I love the thick protein yoghurts, for sure, they're just as good as the high fat turkish yoghurts. But do you mean as a milk? Like a thin non-sour yoghurt or something?
No not to drink I just meant for thickness lol. Not sure what thicker milk options are available.

Plainswalker

Apr 14, 2018
Canada
I'm lactose intolerant, so when I have a choice (and don't want to take Lactaid) I'll go for an alternative milk for drinking and cereal. They're not stellar for a lot of other uses, though, so when I have the money I'll splurge for a lactose-free or ultrafiltered milk instead.

Oct 28, 2017
Tried some rice milk when my mom bought one to give it a try and it tasted how I imagine the first rinse water would taste like when I'm washing the rice. No one really liked it, had to throw like 1/3 of it in the garbage because it just got spoild in the fridge.
I always buy the storebrand 1.5% ESL milk.

Deleted member 6215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We've switched to soy milk since it has a good amount of protein and the least amount of environmental impact. Vanilla soy from Costco is fantastic, the ALDI options are a close second. Almond milk tastes pretty good, but takes a shitton of almonds and water to make, usually coming from areas of the world with drought issues.

Vapelord

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
Soy milk is terrible in coffee, almond and oat isn't bad. Have to get unsweetened if you also plan to use it with cereal. Otherwise its a sugar blast.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
We usually buy an almond milk now but honestly I'm just more likely to drink water instead these days. Used to buy a gallon milk jug just for myself when I grocery shopped years ago.

Oct 25, 2017
I love almond milk and oat milk but only certain brands. As others have mentioned, quality is all over the place though. Try a few out and you'll definitely find one you like.

Gomography

Alt-account.
Banned
Dec 16, 2018
My cereal replacement drink: Ice, banana, cacao, coffee, peanut butter+oat milk or almond (doesn't matter which one).
I think it's more about replacing a habit than substituting a product. Cereal just doesn't work without milk for me so I had to find something else.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I got oat milk in my latte this morning 'cause of a mix up.

It tasted kinda porridge-y tbh, and not in a way I liked.

Xythantiops

Oct 27, 2017
What is that?

But yeah, I think brand definitely matters with these. The cashew milk I had (Malk, unsweetened) was most assuredly garbage, but maybe other brands are better.

I think also with these, unsweetened is the wrong way to go, too. Cow milk is naturally sweet from lactose, so the fakes need to be sweet to be comparable.
319051.jpg

Malk?

About six months ago I wanted to start eating cereal again (mostly generic Cheerios). I've been using unsweetened vanilla almond milk. It does its job well but after reading this thread I'd like to try oat milk. Is oat milk good on cereal? Seems people are just using it in coffee.

OP
OP
Septimus Prime

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just tried flax milk. I like it. It's a lot like rice milk in taste and texture but a tad creamier and high in Omega-3.

gutterboy44

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Long ago switched to almond milk and have recently moved over to oat milk for sustainability reasons. Save dairy for cheese, ice cream and half and half (coffee isn't the same without it). In terms of cereal, a top tier food, I think almond milk is actually better tasting than dairy milk. The switch to oat milk was barely noticeable after being on an almond milk kick for years. I don't deny the wondrous food that cows contribute in terms of dairy, but straight up milk may be bottom of the list for me. So easy to move past. I hope to see a non dairy cheese revolution in the same way we have seen alternative meats escalate. The impossible burger is fantastic. Get me a non dairy cheese or half and half at that same level and I am good to go.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Soy and almond milk are disgusting in my opinion, especially almond milk which is a shame because I love almonds, but its milk was so... tasteless. I haven't tried all the alternative milks of the world, but I don't think I'll shove cow milk aside any time soon.

I don't drink a lot of milk to begin with, but Almond Milk tastes more like almond flavored water than milk.
This. Which is why I hate it despite loving almonds.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Was going to try hemp yesterday but didn't feel like spending that much. Rolled the dice on a new oat brand instead.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I drink lightly sweetened vanilla almond milk, and I'm a big fan. Less fattening than regular milks and tastes better, all while having some great health benefits such as higher calcium than what it's replacing and it's good for people with dairy allergies. Win/win.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I left regular milk behind long time ago. Keep alternating between oat and almond/ hazelnut milk. Never looked back

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone saying it alt-milk tastes bad in tea or coffee should try this

XtKkC5d.jpg

It's amazing stuff. The best alt-milk by far. Usually sold out in places that sell it because it's that good.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
I have tried several and taste is better in some cases. But when it comes to cooking and macros overall nothing beats real milk. Soy Milk have great taste and in some cases better macros than milk. But as soon as you put it in coffee it curdles.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

XtKkC5d.jpg

It's amazing stuff. The best alt-milk by far. Usually sold out in places that sell it because it's that good.
Is any different from the 'creamer' versions of other alt milks they sell for use with coffee? Normal oatly was totally meh imo. Or is the special thing about that just that it foams in a steamer?

ara

Oct 26, 2017

XtKkC5d.jpg

My heart skipped a beat this morning when I went to buy one of these after a dreadfully slept night and the big shelf that's usually almost exclusively full of Oatly was empty

Thankfully they had some in the back. I can keep feeding my addiction unabated.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Is any different from the 'creamer' versions of other alt milks they sell for use with coffee? Normal oatly was totally meh imo. Or is the special thing about that just that it foams in a steamer?
Yes. Trust me, this one is a game changer. Good luck finding it, though! :p

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I don't love regular milk to begin with so stuff like almond milk is an upgrade to me.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Yes. Trust me, this one is a game changer. Good luck finding it, though! :p
I heard it's rare in the US but I see it all over the place here. That was the only reason I bought it lol. I see the barista versions too but not really interested unless I was going to steam it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I heard it's rare in the US but I see it all over the place here. That was the only reason I bought it lol. I see the barista versions too but not really interested unless I was going to steam it.
UK here, and it's getting better. Some big supermarkets have lots in stock now, but the smaller ones are usually all sold out.

Barrista version is the ONLY one that's worth it! The basic versions are easy to find, and nowhere near as good.

Try it!

signal

Oct 28, 2017
UK here, and it's getting better. Some big supermarkets have lots in stock now, but the smaller ones are usually all sold out.

Barrista version is the ONLY one that's worth it! The basic versions are easy to find, and nowhere near as good.

Try it!
Fine but I demand a paypal refund if I don't like!!

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
Silk unsweetened almond milk is great for me with my lactose intolerance. Wish it was so readily available when I was a little boy!

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I tried 3 different brands of soy milk, all of them made me feel sickly and the aftertaste gives me gag reflex. All were in date, but I just can't get over the earthy rot taste it has.

Almond milk is ok, just not with other flavours like coffee or chocolate.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Try it!
Got some! Didn't try it with coffee yet though. Also found this:

yowgwtH.jpg

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I used to drink a ton of milk growing up, but I've mainly just switched to water.

I'm also on a fodmap diet, so I try to limit my lactose intake for the current elimination step.

Most of the milk I now get is almond based, usually vanilla flavored. Thing tastes like a milkshake and has like 3/5 the caloric total as a normal cup of milk

Deleted member 1445

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tried Alpro "professional" soy milk today, woa, best one yet! Doesn't taste watery at all. Gonna keep that as my main 👍

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I like them a lot. I'm less lactose firendly as I get older which makes it harder to go back to regular milk which I always thought tasted weird anyway.

Coconut milk is great during the summer btw and perfect for coffee. Oat milk is also dope in coffee.